|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take before Maya receives a response to her email reaching out to Joaquin?
(a) Three hours.
(b) A day.
(c) Three days.
(d) A week.
2. How many minutes away from Maya's house is Grace's house?
(a) 3 hours.
(b) 40 minutes.
(c) 2 hours.
(d) 20 minutes.
3. How does Ana react to Joaquin's news that he has broken up with Birdie?
(a) She is unfazed.
(b) She is dubious.
(c) She is surprised.
(d) She is relieved.
4. For what reason is Janie upset when she sees Grace back at school for the first time?
(a) She has been dating Adam and does not want Grace to know it.
(b) She has been dating Max and does not want Grace to know it.
(c) She thinks it is too soon for Grace to be back at school.
(d) She thinks Grace should have let her know when she was coming back to school.
5. When Grace first begins thinking about the Homecoming Dance, for how long has she been dating Max?
(a) Just over two years.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) Just over a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joaquin's favorite foster dad was a man named Rick who thought Joaquin was talented and bought him a set of what?
2. What does Grace say that both Max and his father do when they are angry?
3. For how long has Joaquin been seeing Ana in therapy at the time he breaks up with Birdie?
4. When Maya's parents tell her about Grace, what do they say is the relationship between the two girls?
5. When Joaquin can finally speak after fleeing his first meeting with Ana, what place does he say the office had too closely resembled?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grace spend homecoming night of her junior year, and how does the night differ from her previous expectations?
2. Discuss an instance when Joaquin experiences self-loathing.
3. What are the qualities of Ana's therapy approach that Joaquin appreciates?
4. What simile does the narrator use to depict the careful way in which Grace's father tells her that she has biological siblings?
5. How does Joaquin respond to the teacher's aide's request of him at Christmastime?
6. What does the tattoo across the shoulders of one of Joaquin's older foster brothers symbolize?
7. What quality of Maya and Grace's appearance had Joaquin known to expect even before meeting them for the first time?
8. How does the author demonstrate the difference between Grace's high school days before Peach and her experiences at school after Peach's birth?
9. How is the theme of responsibility depicted in Maya's relationship with her sister Lauren?
10. Discuss an instance when Grace displays self-loathing.
This section contains 1,356 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)