|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT something about Birdie that Joaquin misses, now that they have broken up?
(a) Her furious anger whenever someone said something she disagreed with.
(b) The smell of her skin.
(c) Her laugh.
(d) Her sarcastic wit.
2. For what reason are Grace and her parents surprised when they pull up to Maya's house for the first time?
(a) The house is dilapidated and small.
(b) There is a yacht on a trailer in the driveway.
(c) The whole family is out in the front yard playing croquet.
(d) The house is large and impressive.
3. What does Grace end up doing on homecoming night?
(a) Her mom throws her a wedding shower.
(b) She is crowned homecoming queen.
(c) She shops for baby clothes.
(d) She gives birth to Peach.
4. What is Joaquin's reason for believing he is part Mexican?
(a) He knows that his father and mother met in Mazatlan.
(b) A foster brother once told him he looked Mexican and he knows his father's name is Gutierrez.
(c) Mark and Linda researched his genealogy and told him of their findings.
(d) He recently received the results of his DNA test.
5. What lie does Grace tell Joaquin and Maya about her long absence from school?
(a) She tells them that she has been attending a college prep academy.
(b) She tells them her family has been on vacation.
(c) She tells them she had been sick with mono.
(d) She tells them that a stalker has been harassing her.
6. What does Grace do when Adam plays the sound in class as an act of bullying?
(a) She quietly leaves the room.
(b) She screams obscenities in Adam's face.
(c) She bursts into tears in her seat.
(d) She flies across the room and punches Adam repeatedly.
7. Maya thinks that everything seems a certain way "at three a.m." (26). How does she think everything seems at that hour, in comparison to other hours of the day?
(a) More cartoonish.
(b) More terrible.
(c) More humorous.
(d) More dire.
8. How many different times has Joaquin been asked to leave a foster home for one reason or another?
9. What sound does Grace hear coming from all four parents present in the room when Grace and Maya meet for the first time?
(a) The sound of sniffles.
(b) The sound of quiet squealing.
(c) The sound of popcorn being eaten.
(d) The sound of whispering.
10. What item of clothing eventually worn by Grace on her first day back to school is said to match "the stress hives that were starting to appear on her chest and neck" (95)?
(a) Her scarf.
(b) Her pajama pants.
(c) Her dress.
(d) Her shirt.
11. Who is ultimately deemed by the school to be responsible for the chaos that erupts on Grace's first and last day back to school?
12. What tune does the doorbell at Maya's house play?
(a) That's Amore.
(c) Old Paint.
(d) Ode to Joy.
13. In what location does Maya find an empty wine bottle her mother has hidden in the house?
(a) In the back of the closet in a pair of boots.
(b) Behind the washing machine.
(c) On the back porch inside an empty planter.
(d) Under the kitchen sink.
14. On the night Maya's parents tell her about Grace, she says that it has been how long since her parents have been home together and not "at each other's throats" (23)?
15. How much more money on average does Joaquin say it takes in adoption fees to adopt a white baby, versus a baby of color?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject header of the very first email Maya ever receives from Grace and is followed by a question mark within the subject line?
2. When Mark and Linda wake Joaquin from a nightmare, for whom do they say he had been calling in his sleep?
3. What action does Maya tell Joaquin that she takes when she is nervous?
4. Next to whom does Grace sit in the class during which she says everything "crumbles into oblivion" (101) her first day back at school?
5. What does Joaquin feel that he always has to say when people start speaking to him in Spanish?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)