|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What breed of sheep at the Greenhill Fair are described in Chapter 50 as "the most picturesque by far"?
2. Who agrees to go inside and tell Bathsheba that Troy is outside Mr. Boldwood's house in Chapter 53?
3. What harvested crop are Bathsheba and Gabriel trying to save from a storm in Chapter 37?
4. Who is the witness described in the newspaper article that gives details of Troy's drowning in Chapter 48?
5. Whom does Bathsheba send to town to fetch a surgeon after Troy has been injured in Chapter 54?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the relationship between Bathsheba and Gabriel changed at the end of the novel?
2. Why does the lock of hair in Troy’s pocket-watch lead to an argument between him and Bathsheba in Chapter 41?
3. What does Bathsheba discover inside Fanny’s coffin in Chapter 43? How does she respond?
4. Where does Boldwood go in Chapter 54? Why?
5. Whom do Bathsheba and Troy encounter on their way home in Chapter 39? How is the encounter described?
6. What is foreshadowed regarding the character of Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 35?
7. What does the gargoyle symbolize in Chapter 46? Where is the gargoyle located?
8. Where does Bathsheba spend the night in Chapter 44? Why?
9. Why has a petition been addressed to the Home Secretary regarding Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 55?
10. Why are Bathsheba and Troy arguing in the beginning of Chapter 39?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of catastrophe, chance, and fate in Far from the Madding Crowd. How are these themes developed through character, setting, and imagery? What symbols relate to these themes? How do the themes overlap?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot structure of Far from the Madding Crowd. Are there subplots in the novel? Where in the narrative does the exposition transition to rising action? Where is the climax of the narrative? What issues are resolved in the denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of literary and mythological allusion in the novel. What Greek myths and characters are alluded to? Why? What authors and literary works does the author reference? How do these allusions relate to the themes in Far from the Madding Crowd?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)