|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Chapter 49, "Poor Boldwood had no more skill in finesse than a battering-ram." What literary device is used in this sentence?
2. Why is Mr. Boldwood's death sentence lessened in Chapter 55?
3. How much money in total does the narrator say Troy had departed with in order to meet Fanny before learning of her death in Chapter 45?
4. In what month does Chapter 39 begin?
5. Where does Liddy find Bathsheba in the morning in Chapter 44?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Troy’s response to the coffin and its contents in Chapter 43?
2. Whom do Bathsheba and Troy encounter on their way home in Chapter 39? How is the encounter described?
3. Where is Troy when he almost drowns in Chapter 47? How is he saved?
4. Why has a petition been addressed to the Home Secretary regarding Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 55?
5. What promotions does Gabriel Oak receive in Chapter 49?
6. How would you describe the atmosphere and mood established in Chapter 52?
7. How has the relationship between Bathsheba and Gabriel changed at the end of the novel?
8. Why do the workers at Everdene Farm believe a horse has been stolen in Chapter 32? How do they respond?
9. What trick does Sergeant Troy play on Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 34?
10. Where does Bathsheba learn the news of Troy’s drowning in Chapter 48? How does she respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of William Boldwood in the novel. How old is Mr. Boldwood when he is introduced? What is his occupation? How does Mr. Boldwood's character evolve in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the central conflicts in Far from the Madding Crowd. What are the internal, external, and relational conflicts faced by Bathsheba in the narrative? What conflicts occur between Boldwood and Troy? What conflicts does Gabriel Oak struggle with? How are the major conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the consequences of Bathsheba sending a Valentine's Day card to Mr. Boldwood in the narrative. How does Mr. Boldwood respond to the forward token of affection? What actions does he take? Does Bathsheba regret sending the card? Why or why not?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)