|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bathsheba go to visit her aunt for two months in Chapter 49?
2. Greenhill is described as being like what busy Russian city in South Wessex in Chapter 50?
3. Who arrives at the farm and says he's seen Bathsheba in Bath in Chapter 33?
4. What is the title of Chapter 47?
5. In what month does Chapter 39 begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bathsheba assist Gabriel in doing in Chapter 37? Why?
2. Describe the central conflict that occurs in the climax of the novel in Chapter 53. Who is involved in the conflict?
3. How does Bathsheba respond to her husband’s extended absence in the beginning of Chapter 48?
4. Where is Troy when he almost drowns in Chapter 47? How is he saved?
5. What trick does Sergeant Troy play on Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 34?
6. What is Troy’s response to the coffin and its contents in Chapter 43?
7. How is Bathsheba’s behavior described in Chapter 54?
8. How does Bathsheba respond to Mr. Boldwood’s marriage proposal in Chapter 51?
9. Where does Boldwood go in Chapter 54? Why?
10. How has the relationship between Bathsheba and Gabriel changed at the end of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the social class system of Victorian England and the systems of class seen in Far from the Madding Crowd. How does social class differ in rural England from the cities? How do the characters in the story manage to change their places within this system?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the literary style of Far from the Madding Crowd. How does the novel reflect elements of realism? What are aspects of romanticism seen in the work? How does the style of the narrative reflect upon the author's contemporary world?
Essay Topic 3
How common was it in the 1870s for women in rural England to own and manage farms without male oversight? Why do you think that Bathsheba's actions in the story go uncontested? In what ways does Bathsheba represent a feminist literary figure?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)