|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Gabriel receive a letter in Chapter 15?
2. By what farcical title does Sergeant Troy address Bathsheba in Chapter 26?
3. On what date does Chapter 13 begin?
4. How many years older is Gabriel than Bathsheba?
5. What is the title of Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Gabriel Oak’s first impressions of Bathsheba Everdene? Where does he first see Bathsheba?
2. How does Bathsheba respond to Mr. Boldwood’s marriage proposal in Chapter 19?
3. What is Henery Fray’s opinion on Bathsheba’s courtship by Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 22?
4. Why does Bathsheba send a Valentine’s Day card to Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 13? What does the card say?
5. What information does Gabriel glean of Fanny Robin at Warren’s Malthouse in Chapter 8?
6. Why does Bathsheba fire Gabriel Oak from his position on the farm in Chapter 20?
7. What is “Warren’s Malthouse”? Whom does Gabriel meet here in Chapter 8?
8. Whom does Gabriel encounter as he makes his way into Weatherbury in Chapter 7? What does this encounter foreshadow?
9. What sexual innuendos can be seen in Chapter 28?
10. What leads to the conflict between Bathsheba and Gabriel in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of literary and mythological allusion in the novel. What Greek myths and characters are alluded to? Why? What authors and literary works does the author reference? How do these allusions relate to the themes in Far from the Madding Crowd?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot structure of Far from the Madding Crowd. Are there subplots in the novel? Where in the narrative does the exposition transition to rising action? Where is the climax of the narrative? What issues are resolved in the denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Bathsheba Everdene in Far from the Madding Crowd. How is Bathsheba's character described when she is first introduced? How many years does Bathsheba age in the story? How does her character grow in the narrative?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)