|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the sheep broken the fence and gotten into in the beginning of Chapter 21?
2. Whom does Gabriel allow to read the letter he's received in Chapter 15?
3. What character from Shakespeare's Hamlet is Gabriel compared to by the narrator in Chapter 22?
4. What color is Bathsheba's hair described as in the novel?
5. For whom does Bathsheba tell Liddy she bought a Valentine in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Gabriel Oak’s first impressions of Bathsheba Everdene? Where does he first see Bathsheba?
2. How would you describe the narrative style of the novel? From whose perspective is the story related?
3. To whom does Bathsheba write a letter in Chapter 30? What is revealed in the letter?
4. Why has Bathsheba fired her bailiff in Chapter 10? Why is this a significant act?
5. Where is Fanny Robin when her character appears in Chapter 11? What is she doing?
6. How does Bathsheba respond when Gabriel Oak proposes to her in Chapter 4?
7. What information does Gabriel glean of Fanny Robin at Warren’s Malthouse in Chapter 8?
8. What incident prevents the wedding of Fanny and Troy in Chapter 16?
9. What tragedy befalls the Everdene Farm in Chapter 21?
10. Who comes to inquire about word of Fanny Robin at the Everdene Farm in Chapter 9? What is related of this character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the farm workers at Miss Everdene's estate in Weatherbury. How many servants work within and without the home? What are their positions? How does Gabriel feel about each of these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the social class system of Victorian England and the systems of class seen in Far from the Madding Crowd. How does social class differ in rural England from the cities? How do the characters in the story manage to change their places within this system?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the central conflicts in Far from the Madding Crowd. What are the internal, external, and relational conflicts faced by Bathsheba in the narrative? What conflicts occur between Boldwood and Troy? What conflicts does Gabriel Oak struggle with? How are the major conflicts resolved?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)