|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who among the company at the tavern is described as being very shy and modest in Chapter 8?
2. What does Sergeant Troy take with him as a token of remembrance of Bathsheba after his sword demonstration in Chapter 28?
3. From what Shakespearean play is the line "Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" that is cited in Chapter 4?
4. What is the name of Bathsheba's aunt that she lives with in Chapter 4?
5. How old does Mr. Boldwood say he is when he proposes marriage to Bathsheba in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bathsheba fire Gabriel Oak from his position on the farm in Chapter 20?
2. What is “Warren’s Malthouse”? Whom does Gabriel meet here in Chapter 8?
3. What sexual innuendos can be seen in Chapter 28?
4. What reaction does Mr. Boldwood have to the Valentine’s Day card he’s received in Chapter 14?
5. Who sends Gabriel a letter in Chapter 15? What is revealed in the letter?
6. Who comes to inquire about word of Fanny Robin at the Everdene Farm in Chapter 9? What is related of this character?
7. What tragedy befalls the Everdene Farm in Chapter 21?
8. What incident prevents the wedding of Fanny and Troy in Chapter 16?
9. Whom does Gabriel encounter as he makes his way into Weatherbury in Chapter 7? What does this encounter foreshadow?
10. What leads to the conflict between Bathsheba and Gabriel in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of literary and mythological allusion in the novel. What Greek myths and characters are alluded to? Why? What authors and literary works does the author reference? How do these allusions relate to the themes in Far from the Madding Crowd?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot structure of Far from the Madding Crowd. Are there subplots in the novel? Where in the narrative does the exposition transition to rising action? Where is the climax of the narrative? What issues are resolved in the denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literary style of Far from the Madding Crowd. How does the novel reflect elements of realism? What are aspects of romanticism seen in the work? How does the style of the narrative reflect upon the author's contemporary world?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)