|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had the ship's crew come ashore for in Chapter 47?
2. Yalbury Hill is described as being about three miles from what town in Chapter 39?
3. Who is the author of The Pilgrim's Progress?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Jimmy Harris.
(c) John Bunyan.
(d) Henry James.
4. Where does Fanny say she is going to spend the night when she encounters Troy in Chapter 39?
(a) Her father's cabin.
(b) Warren's Malthouse.
(c) The Casterbridge-Union poorhouse.
(d) The Yalbury Hill forest.
5. Where does Mr. Boldwood go after leaving his home in Chapter 54?
(a) To Warren's Malthouse.
(b) To the King's Inn.
(c) To the jail.
(d) To the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Troy toss to Gabriel when he first emerges from the house as Bathsheba's husband?
2. What does Bathsheba discover when she opens Fanny's coffin in Chapter 43?
3. What does the word "harbinger" from Chapter 33's title mean?
4. How much money does Boldwood give to Troy to take with him, in addition to more promised in the future, if he will marry Fanny in Chapter 34?
5. What are the names of Mr. Boldwood's horses that Gabriel goes to borrow in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Boldwood go in Chapter 54? Why?
2. What trick does Sergeant Troy play on Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 34?
3. Where is Troy when he almost drowns in Chapter 47? How is he saved?
4. Whom do Bathsheba and Troy encounter on their way home in Chapter 39? How is the encounter described?
5. Where does Frank Troy reappear in Chapter 50? Who sees him?
6. Why has a petition been addressed to the Home Secretary regarding Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 55?
7. What does Bathsheba assist Gabriel in doing in Chapter 37? Why?
8. Why does the lock of hair in Troy’s pocket-watch lead to an argument between him and Bathsheba in Chapter 41?
9. How does Bathsheba respond to Mr. Boldwood’s marriage proposal in Chapter 51?
10. Why are Bathsheba and Troy arguing in the beginning of Chapter 39?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)