|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives at the farm and says he's seen Bathsheba in Bath in Chapter 33?
(a) Jimmy Harris.
(b) Sam Samson.
(c) Teddy Coggan.
(d) Cainy Ball.
2. Where does the stranger say Troy drowned in Chapter 48?
(a) Sherman Cove.
(b) Lulwind Cove.
(c) Roberts' Estuary.
(d) The Salton Sea.
3. Who says of Bathsheba in Chapter 53, "she's a brave girl who'll never tell a lie however much the truth may harm her, and I've no cause to wish her evil"?
(a) Laban Tall.
(b) Sergeant Troy.
(c) Henery Fray.
(d) Mr. Boldwood.
4. What does Troy spend his last remaining money on in Chapter 45?
(a) A house for Bathsheba.
(b) A diamond ring.
(c) A tombstone for Fanny.
(d) A gamble on a horse race.
5. What color is the lock of hair that Bathsheba sees in Troy's pocket watch in Chapter 41?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month is Chapter 55 set?
2. What emotion does Bathsheba tell Gabriel provoked her to marry Sergeant Troy in Chapter 37?
3. Who is described in Chapter 41 as "the goddess whom Bathsheba instinctively adored"?
4. At what time does Liddy retire for the night, leaving Bathsheba alone with the coffin, in the beginning of Chapter 43?
5. What is the title of Chapter 47?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed in the conversation between Gabriel and Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 38?
2. What does Troy spend all of his money on in Chapter 45? Why?
3. Why does the lock of hair in Troy’s pocket-watch lead to an argument between him and Bathsheba in Chapter 41?
4. What trick does Sergeant Troy play on Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 34?
5. How would you describe the atmosphere and mood established in Chapter 52?
6. Where does Bathsheba spend the night in Chapter 44? Why?
7. How has the relationship between Bathsheba and Gabriel changed at the end of the novel?
8. Describe the central conflict that occurs in the climax of the novel in Chapter 53. Who is involved in the conflict?
9. How is Bathsheba’s behavior described in Chapter 54?
10. Why are Bathsheba and Troy arguing in the beginning of Chapter 39?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)