|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maryann claim is bad luck in the beginning of Chapter 33?
(a) Relocating a broom.
(b) Dropping a Bible.
(c) Breaking a key.
(d) Looking into a mirror.
2. Who do Gabriel and Coggan believe to have stolen a horse from the stables in Chapter 32?
(a) A gypsy.
(b) A bank robber.
(c) Sergeant Troy.
(d) Mr. Boldwood.
3. Where does Troy tell Fanny to meet him on Monday at ten o'clock in Chapter 39?
(a) Yalbury Cemetery.
(b) All Saints' Church.
(c) Grey's Bridge.
(d) All Souls' Church.
4. Who leaps forward to prevent Mr. Boldwood from committing suicide in Chapter 53?
(a) Joseph Poorgrass.
(b) Sam Samway.
(c) Cainy Ball.
(d) Henery Fray.
5. What happens when Troy goes to bathe and swim in the cove in Chapter 47?
(a) He is swallowed by an octopus.
(b) He sees an angel descending from the sky.
(c) He is bitten by a reef shark.
(d) He is carried to sea by a rip-tide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bathsheba go to visit her aunt for two months in Chapter 49?
2. Who is described in Chapter 41 as "the goddess whom Bathsheba instinctively adored"?
3. How much money does Boldwood tell Troy he will bestow upon Fanny on her wedding day if Troy marries her in Chapter 34?
4. Who is the surgeon who comes to see to Troy in Chapter 54?
5. Greenhill is described as being like what busy Russian city in South Wessex in Chapter 50?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the atmosphere and mood established in Chapter 52?
2. What is Troy’s response to the coffin and its contents in Chapter 43?
3. What trick does Sergeant Troy play on Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 34?
4. Why has a petition been addressed to the Home Secretary regarding Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 55?
5. What promotions does Gabriel Oak receive in Chapter 49?
6. How has the relationship between Bathsheba and Gabriel changed at the end of the novel?
7. Where does Bathsheba spend the night in Chapter 44? Why?
8. Where is Troy when he almost drowns in Chapter 47? How is he saved?
9. What is foreshadowed regarding the character of Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 35?
10. Describe the central conflict that occurs in the climax of the novel in Chapter 53. Who is involved in the conflict?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)