|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to the narrator in Chapter 18, "are to a farm what a fireplace is to a room"?
2. What is the name of the church that Fanny mistakenly goes to for her wedding in Chapter 16?
(a) All Saints' Church.
(b) All Souls' Church.
(c) St. Paul's Church.
(d) St. Mary's Church.
3. Where does Gabriel go to seek lodging in the village after putting out the fire in Chapter 7?
(a) Warren's Malthouse.
(b) The Casterbridge-Union poorhouse.
(c) Mrs. Beale's Boarding House.
(d) Smithwick's Tavern.
4. What words are imprinted on the seal of the Valentine that Bathsheba sends to Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 13?
(a) "Kiss me."
(b) "I'm yours."
(c) "Marry me."
(d) "I love you."
5. What had Gabriel worked as before leasing a farm and stocking it with sheep?
(a) A bailiff.
(b) A coal miner.
(c) A butcher.
(d) A blacksmith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the master-shearer when sheep-shearing begins in Chapter 22?
2. What does Sergeant Troy take with him as a token of remembrance of Bathsheba after his sword demonstration in Chapter 28?
3. What does the word "folly" from the narrative mean?
4. The narrator states in Chapter 22, "In comparison with cities, Weatherbury was" what?
5. At what time does Bathsheba meet Sergeant Troy so that he can perform a sword exercise in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gabriel Oak’s social station and class when his character is first introduced? What is Gabriel’s occupation?
2. What reaction does Mr. Boldwood have to the Valentine’s Day card he’s received in Chapter 14?
3. What is Henery Fray’s opinion on Bathsheba’s courtship by Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 22?
4. What promise does Sergeant Troy elicit from Bathsheba in Chapter 27? How?
5. Why does Bathsheba fire Gabriel Oak from his position on the farm in Chapter 20?
6. Where does Bathsheba first meet Sergeant Troy in Chapter 24? What are her impressions of him?
7. What leads to the conflict between Bathsheba and Gabriel in Chapter 29?
8. What are Gabriel Oak’s first impressions of Bathsheba Everdene? Where does he first see Bathsheba?
9. Where does Bathsheba encounter Sergeant Troy in Chapter 26? How is the meeting described?
10. What activity is Bathsheba involved in when Mr. Boldwood first comes to court her in Chapter 19? Where do they speak?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)