|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bathsheba fire Gabriel in Chapter 20?
(a) For lighting the barn on fire.
(b) For arriving at work drunk.
(c) For killing a sheep.
(d) For criticizing her conduct.
2. In what country is Far from the Madding World set?
(d) The United States.
3. What Ancient Greek physician does the author allude to in Chapter 29?
4. Where has Sergeant Troy gone to visit friends in Chapter 30?
5. Whom does Gabriel allow to read the letter he's received in Chapter 15?
(a) Sam Samson.
(b) Mr. Boldwood.
(c) Sergeant Troy.
(d) Teddy Coggan.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bathsheba attempts to defend Troy in Chapter 29, the narrator says, "This supreme instance of Troy's goodness fell upon Gabriel's ears like" what?
2. What is Jacob's last name said to be in Chapter 8?
3. Where does Gabriel attend a hiring fair in the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. What does the maiden do to revive Gabriel when she finds him passed out in his hut in Chapter 3?
5. What is the name of the church that Fanny mistakenly goes to for her wedding in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Bathsheba first meet Sergeant Troy in Chapter 24? What are her impressions of him?
2. What incident prevents the wedding of Fanny and Troy in Chapter 16?
3. How would you describe the narrative style of the novel? From whose perspective is the story related?
4. Who sends Gabriel a letter in Chapter 15? What is revealed in the letter?
5. What tragedy befalls the Everdene Farm in Chapter 21?
6. Why does Bathsheba leave Norcombe in Chapter 5? Where does she go?
7. What is Henery Fray’s opinion on Bathsheba’s courtship by Mr. Boldwood in Chapter 22?
8. What are Gabriel Oak’s first impressions of Bathsheba Everdene? Where does he first see Bathsheba?
9. Where is Fanny Robin when her character appears in Chapter 11? What is she doing?
10. What is Gabriel Oak’s social station and class when his character is first introduced? What is Gabriel’s occupation?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)