|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what direction does Troy wander after leaving Weatherbury in Chapter 47?
2. Where does Bathsheba go to visit Liddy's sister in Chapter 31?
3. When does the narrator say the tower of Weatherbury Church was erected in Chapter 46?
(a) The fourteenth century.
(b) The seventeenth century.
(c) The thirteenth century.
(d) The fifth century.
4. Who is described in Chapter 41 as "the goddess whom Bathsheba instinctively adored"?
5. Whom does Gabriel encounter walking up the road by the farm in the end of Chapter 38?
(b) Mr. Boldwood.
(c) Father Williams.
(d) Cainy Ball.
6. How many months has it been since Gabriel was fighting the fire in the same spot where he fights the rain in Chapter 38?
7. What animal appears and helps Fanny make it into the village in Chapter 40?
(a) A sheep.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A dog.
(d) A horse.
8. How much money in total does the narrator say Troy had departed with in order to meet Fanny before learning of her death in Chapter 45?
(a) 35 pounds and 10 pence.
(b) 27 pounds and 10 pence.
(c) 50 pounds and 30 pence.
(d) 100 pounds.
9. Where does Mr. Boldwood go after leaving his home in Chapter 54?
(a) To the King's Inn.
(b) To the jail.
(c) To Warren's Malthouse.
(d) To the church.
10. Who is the keeper of the gate at Sherton Turnpike?
(a) William Smallbury.
(b) Henery Fray.
(c) Jimmy Harris.
(d) Dan Randall.
11. What color silk gown is Bathsheba described as wearing while in Bath in Chapter 33?
12. What "decayed old town" do Gabriel and his helpers drive the sheep through to reach Greenhill in Chapter 50?
13. Where does Mr. Boldwood carry Bathsheba after she's fainted in Chapter 48?
(a) To Warren's Malthouse.
(b) To the Norcombe Church.
(c) To the King's Arms Inn.
(d) To Mrs. Beale's Boarding House.
14. Whom does Bathsheba send to town to fetch a surgeon after Troy has been injured in Chapter 54?
(a) Gabriel Oak.
(b) Joseph Poorgrass.
(c) Henery Fray.
(d) Jimmy Harris.
15. What does the word "harbinger" from Chapter 33's title mean?
(a) A dingo.
(b) An omen.
(c) A rowboat.
(d) A type of hawk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Liddy say she's heard Troy has gone in Chapter 46?
2. Who is the author of The Pilgrim's Progress?
3. How is the Latin phrase "gutta serena" translated in Chapter 53?
4. In what month does Chapter 39 begin?
5. How much does Boldwood offer to give to Troy on his wedding-day with Bathsheba in Chapter 34?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)