|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the newspaper say Troy and Bathsheba were married in Chapter 34?
(a) St. Ambrose's Church.
(b) All Saints' Church.
(c) All Souls' Church.
(d) St. Mary's Church.
2. What word from Chapter 45 means sickeningly emotional?
3. What breed of sheep at the Greenhill Fair are described in Chapter 50 as "the most picturesque by far"?
(a) South Downs.
(c) Old Wessex's.
4. Where does Liddy say she's heard Troy has gone in Chapter 46?
(a) To London.
(b) To Casterbridge.
(c) To York.
(d) To Budmouth.
5. Who is the author of The Pilgrim's Progress?
(a) John Bunyan.
(b) Jimmy Harris.
(c) Walt Whitman.
(d) Henry James.
6. Bathsheba is described as looking like what Greek Muse when she opens the door in Chapter 54?
7. What harvested crop are Bathsheba and Gabriel trying to save from a storm in Chapter 37?
8. Who do Gabriel and Coggan believe to have stolen a horse from the stables in Chapter 32?
(a) A gypsy.
(b) Mr. Boldwood.
(c) A bank robber.
(d) Sergeant Troy.
9. Where does Mr. Boldwood carry Bathsheba after she's fainted in Chapter 48?
(a) To Mrs. Beale's Boarding House.
(b) To the King's Arms Inn.
(c) To the Norcombe Church.
(d) To Warren's Malthouse.
10. To what position on Bathsheba's farm is Gabriel promoted in Chapter 49?
11. Who helps Bathsheba clean up Fanny's grave in Chapter 46?
(b) Sergeant Troy.
(c) Gabriel Oak.
(d) Mr. Boldwood.
12. According to Liddy in Chapter 49, Bathsheba might consider remarrying after Troy has been dead for how long?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 1 year.
13. How much money does Troy toss to Gabriel when he first emerges from the house as Bathsheba's husband?
(a) A crown.
(b) A shilling.
(c) A half-crown.
(d) A pound.
14. Where does Troy tell Fanny to meet him on Monday at ten o'clock in Chapter 39?
(a) All Souls' Church.
(b) Grey's Bridge.
(c) All Saints' Church.
(d) Yalbury Cemetery.
15. When does the narrator say the tower of Weatherbury Church was erected in Chapter 46?
(a) The seventeenth century.
(b) The thirteenth century.
(c) The fifth century.
(d) The fourteenth century.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Chapter 49, "Poor Boldwood had no more skill in finesse than a battering-ram." What literary device is used in this sentence?
2. Where does Bathsheba say Liddy has gone for the night when she meets Troy in Chapter 34?
3. What does Maryann claim is bad luck in the beginning of Chapter 33?
4. Who sends a wagon to retrieve Fanny's body after learning of her death in Chapter 41?
5. Where have Troy and the farm workers spent the night after passing out drunk in Chapter 38?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)