|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What objects does Liddy suggest one can use to divine whom they will marry in Chapter 13?
(a) A Bible and a key.
(b) A mirror and a cloth.
(c) A candle and a globe.
(d) A hair and a needle.
2. What does Bathsheba assist Gabriel in doing when she goes to ask him for advice in Chapter 20?
(a) Sharpening his shears.
(b) Bathing the sheep.
(c) Milking the dairy cow.
(d) Birthing a lamb.
3. The narrator describes Bathsheba in Chapter 19 as "An Elizabethan in brain and" whom in spirit?
(b) Mary Stuart.
(d) Henry VIII.
4. The narrator says in Chapter 25, "Idiosyncrasy and vicissitude had combined to stamp Sergeant Troy as" what?
(a) "A swine among men."
(b) "An exceptional being."
(c) "A redeemer of women."
(d) "A jester of the court."
5. Whom does Gabriel allow to read the letter he's received in Chapter 15?
(a) Teddy Coggan.
(b) Mr. Boldwood.
(c) Sergeant Troy.
(d) Sam Samson.
6. What character from Shakespeare's Hamlet is Gabriel compared to by the narrator in Chapter 22?
7. Who is Gabriel's junior shepherd in Weatherbury?
(a) Henery Fray.
(b) Cainy Ball.
(c) Joseph Poorgrass.
(d) Sam Samson.
8. On what date does Chapter 13 begin?
(a) June 3.
(b) February 13.
(c) July 24.
(d) October 14.
9. The narrator states in Chapter 22, "In comparison with cities, Weatherbury was" what?
10. What is the last name of Bathsheba's servant-companion Liddy?
11. When Bathsheba attempts to defend Troy in Chapter 29, the narrator says, "This supreme instance of Troy's goodness fell upon Gabriel's ears like" what?
(a) "Whispers of a guilty seducer."
(b) "Silence on the hillside in January."
(c) "The thirteenth stroke of a crazy clock."
(d) "The mindless crowing of a wayward rooster."
12. What is the name of the church that Fanny mistakenly goes to for her wedding in Chapter 16?
(a) All Saints' Church.
(b) All Souls' Church.
(c) St. Mary's Church.
(d) St. Paul's Church.
13. For what reason does Bathsheba come to Gabriel's farm each day in Chapters 3 and 4?
(a) To collect eggs.
(b) To milk a goat.
(c) To plant flowers.
(d) To milk a cow.
14. What does the beautiful girl take out from a package on her wagon to gaze at in Chapter 1?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A pocket-watch.
(c) A book.
(d) A mirror.
15. What is the name of Mr. Boldwood's estate?
(a) The Hill-Robber Farm.
(b) The Little Weatherbury Farm.
(c) The Whispering Lilac Farm.
(d) The Oak Dawn Farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the seal on the envelope with the Valentine from Bathsheba?
2. What is the title of Chapter 7?
3. What is the title of Chapter 3?
4. What is the name of the church that Sergeant Troy arrives at to marry Fanny in Chapter 16?
5. What body of water does Jacob say he dragged in search for Fanny's body in Chapter 10?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)