|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom does Bathsheba tell Liddy she bought a Valentine in Chapter 13?
(a) Sam Samson.
(b) Sergeant Troy.
(c) Teddy Coggan.
(d) Gabriel Oak.
2. Why does Bathsheba fire Gabriel in Chapter 20?
(a) For lighting the barn on fire.
(b) For criticizing her conduct.
(c) For killing a sheep.
(d) For arriving at work drunk.
3. What have the sheep broken the fence and gotten into in the beginning of Chapter 21?
(a) A copper mine.
(b) A field of onions.
(c) A field of clover.
(d) A field of poppies.
4. What month is it when Mr. Boldwood finally calls on Bathsheba in Chapter 19?
5. What is the name of the church that Sergeant Troy arrives at to marry Fanny in Chapter 16?
(a) St. Mary's Church.
(b) All Souls' Church.
(c) St. Paul's Church.
(d) All Saints' Church.
6. What gift does Sergeant Troy attempt to give to Bathsheba when he woos her in Chapter 26?
(a) A gold pocket watch.
(b) A diamond ring.
(c) A flute.
(d) A locket with his mother's portrait.
7. What is the name of Gabriel's older dog in Chapter 5?
8. Whose figures can Famer Boldwood make out as he looks across the fields to Miss Everdene's farm in Chapter 18?
(a) Bathsheba's, Liddy's, and Mary's.
(b) Bathsheba's, Gabriel's, and Cainy's.
(c) Sergeant Troy's and Bathsheba's.
(d) Gabriel's, Teddy's, and Cainy's.
9. Who wrote Robinson Crusoe?
(a) Daniel Defoe.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) Walt Whitman.
(d) Henry James.
10. Gabriel tells Bathsheba in Chapter 29, "what is mirth to the neighbors is ruin to" what?
(a) "The dog."
(b) "The man."
(c) "The woman."
(d) "The family."
11. Who threatens to leave her job because of Bathsheba's abusive behavior in Chapter 30?
12. Where has Sergeant Troy gone to visit friends in Chapter 30?
13. Where is Gabriel staying when Bathsheba sends for him to save her sheep in Chapter 21?
(a) Nest Cottage.
(b) Warren's Inn.
(c) The King's Inn.
(d) Mrs. Beale's Boarding House.
14. Where does the old maltster say he was married in Chapter 8?
(a) All Saints' Church.
(b) Norcombe Church.
(c) St. Mary's Church.
(d) All Souls' Church.
15. What does Gabriel Oak always carry about him, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
(a) A pocket watch.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A frayed rope.
(d) A hatchet.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long does Troy expect to be away visiting friends in Chapter 30?
2. By what farcical title does Sergeant Troy address Bathsheba in Chapter 26?
3. What is the last name of Bathsheba's servant-companion Liddy?
4. What is the title of Chapter 10?
5. What is the title of Chapter 7?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)