|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom has Bathsheba inherited a farm in Weatherbury in Chapter 8?
(a) From her sister.
(b) From her uncle.
(c) From her father.
(d) From her mother.
2. In what country is Far from the Madding World set?
(c) The United States.
3. What is Jacob's last name said to be in Chapter 8?
4. What does Sergeant Troy take with him as a token of remembrance of Bathsheba after his sword demonstration in Chapter 28?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A locket.
(c) A lock of her hair.
(d) A love letter.
5. What is the name of the church that Sergeant Troy arrives at to marry Fanny in Chapter 16?
(a) St. Mary's Church.
(b) St. Paul's Church.
(c) All Saints' Church.
(d) All Souls' Church.
6. What objects does Liddy suggest one can use to divine whom they will marry in Chapter 13?
(a) A mirror and a cloth.
(b) A candle and a globe.
(c) A Bible and a key.
(d) A hair and a needle.
7. What does the beautiful girl take out from a package on her wagon to gaze at in Chapter 1?
(a) A pocket-watch.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A mirror.
(d) A book.
8. Where does Gabriel go to seek lodging in the village after putting out the fire in Chapter 7?
(a) Smithwick's Tavern.
(b) Warren's Malthouse.
(c) The Casterbridge-Union poorhouse.
(d) Mrs. Beale's Boarding House.
9. Where has Sergeant Troy gone to visit friends in Chapter 30?
10. What month is it the latter part of when the bees begin their swarming at Weatherbury in Chapter 27?
11. What body of water does Jacob say he dragged in search for Fanny's body in Chapter 10?
(a) Willingham Lake.
(b) Jackson Pond.
(c) Newmill Pond.
(d) Oxford Lake.
12. The narrator states in Chapter 22, "In comparison with cities, Weatherbury was" what?
13. On what date does Chapter 13 begin?
(a) June 3.
(b) February 13.
(c) October 14.
(d) July 24.
14. What is the last name of Bathsheba's servant-companion Liddy?
15. Whose figures can Famer Boldwood make out as he looks across the fields to Miss Everdene's farm in Chapter 18?
(a) Gabriel's, Teddy's, and Cainy's.
(b) Bathsheba's, Gabriel's, and Cainy's.
(c) Bathsheba's, Liddy's, and Mary's.
(d) Sergeant Troy's and Bathsheba's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Bathsheba send away to the lower mead so that she can speak to Gabriel alone in Chapter 20?
2. The narrator describes Bathsheba in Chapter 19 as "An Elizabethan in brain and" whom in spirit?
3. What is the name of Mr. Boldwood's estate?
4. From whom does Gabriel receive a letter in Chapter 15?
5. For how long does Troy expect to be away visiting friends in Chapter 30?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)