Chapters 1 - 6
1. What is Gabriel Oak referred to as by the villagers in the beginning of the novel?
(a) "Farmer Oak."
(b) "Father Oak."
(c) "Simon Oak."
(d) "Cleric Oak."
2. What does Gabriel Oak always carry about him, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
(a) A frayed rope.
(b) A pocket watch.
(c) A rifle.
(d) A hatchet.
3. What does the beautiful girl take out from a package on her wagon to gaze at in Chapter 1?
(a) A pocket-watch.
(b) A book.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A mirror.
4. How is "the eve of St. Thomas's" defined in Chapter 2?
(a) The evening of the harvest moon.
(b) The shortest day of the year.
(c) The longest day of the year.
(d) The evening of the ritual bonfire.
5. How many sheep has Gabriel Oak stocked his farm with in the past year, according to the narrator in Chapter 2?
6. What had Gabriel worked as before leasing a farm and stocking it with sheep?
(a) A coal miner.
(b) A butcher.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A bailiff.
This section contains 3,987 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)