|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ming-feng's ultimate reaction to being given as a concubine?
2. What punishment does Master Kao make Ke-ting do in front of everyone?
3. Who seems to be the most distraught by the military fighting that is happening?
4. What is one thing that the family does to try and cure Master Kao from his illness?
5. What is the name of the literary character the Chin is trying to be like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
2. What happens during Jui-cheuh's childbirth?
3. Why is Chien-erh burning paper money?
4. How does Master Kao respond to Ke-ting's misdeeds?
5. What does Jui-cheuh share with Mei in Chapter 22?
6. What is the entertainment like at Master Kao's birthday and how to the two youngest brothers feel about it?
7. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
8. What does Ming-feng do when she hears that she is to be Master Feng's concubine?
9. How does the family feel the night that fighting breaks out around the city?
10. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the purpose of symbolism in a piece of literature and identify symbolism used in the novel. In your opinion was the use of symbolism in the book effective?
Essay Topic 2
Please choose on character to analyze using the five categories studied in your daily lessons.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the family structure and roles in China in early 1900s and identify the various characters that fulfill these roles in the story "Family." Are there any individuals in this story who seem to oppose this structure?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)