|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of discussion for Chin and Shu-chen while they are taking a boat ride?
2. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
3. Who does Cheuh-min stay with when he runs away to avoid his arranged marriage?
4. What reason does Cheuh-hsin give for not wanting his wife to go to pay Mei her respect?
5. Who beings arguing over the property soon after Master Kao passes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when news of the looting comes to the Kao compound?
2. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
3. What is the entertainment like at Master Kao's birthday and how to the two youngest brothers feel about it?
4. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
5. How does Cheuh-hsin try to help Cheuh-min with his arranged marriage?
6. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
7. What does Jui-cheuh share with Mei in Chapter 22?
8. What is the general response to the death of Master Kao?
9. What role does Cheuh-hui play in Cheuh-min's hiding?
10. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Ming-feng's death and what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pathos was used in this book. Please explain what pathos is and how it was used in this story.
Essay Topic 2
This novel delves heavily into various relationship, both family and romantic. Please choose two of the relationships that you observed in the novel and dissect it, the parties involved and the role that this relationship played in the novel at large. Did these relationships serve to further the plot, theme, mood, tone, etc.?
Essay Topic 3
Social classes and ranking are mentioned throughout the story. Please explain what role social class played in the lives of each of the three brothers and the role it played in the entirety of the story.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)