|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cheuh-hui feel about himself in Chapter 26?
2. When Ming-feng goes to Cheuh-hui for help, how does he respond?
3. How does Cheuh-hui get the others to turn the boat around and head back home?
4. What does everyone seem to be thinking about as they hear the fighting outside the Kao compound?
5. How does Jui-cheuh feel about being made to live outside the city in her state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general response to the death of Master Kao?
2. How does Cheuh-hsin try to help Cheuh-min with his arranged marriage?
3. What is the entertainment like at Master Kao's birthday and how to the two youngest brothers feel about it?
4. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Jui-cheuh's move and what is his response?
5. How does the family feel the night that fighting breaks out around the city?
6. Why are the women scared of the curse of the blood-glow?
7. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Ming-feng's death and what is his response?
8. What happens during Jui-cheuh's childbirth?
9. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
10. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the difference between protagonist and antagonist characters and their roles in a story. Who would be considered antagonist(s) and protagonist(s) in the story "Family" and how did you come to this conclusion?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the importance and role of a plot line and its various sub-parts. Choose two of the sub-parts of a plot line and analyze their use in the book "Family."
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay stating whether or not you believe this novel should be considered a tragedy, please use examples from the novel. Please also identify any tragic hero and explain any tragic flaw that exists for that hero.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)