|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Cheuh-hui sick of the aristocratic life?
2. What does Chin tell Cheuh-hui she is determined about?
3. Who seems to be the most distraught by the military fighting that is happening?
4. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
5. Why do they not let Cheuh-hsin into the room when Jui-cheuh is giving birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cheuh-min's response to his arranged marriage?
2. What happens when news of the looting comes to the Kao compound?
3. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
4. Why are the women scared of the curse of the blood-glow?
5. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Jui-cheuh's move and what is his response?
6. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
7. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
8. What do the superstitious family members do to try and rid Master Kao of his illness?
9. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Ming-feng's death and what is his response?
10. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was the literary technique of the love triangle used in this book and what parties were involved? In the end what is the outcome of the love triangle?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe the religion setting in China at the time this story takes place. What role, if any, does religion play in the story and in the lives of some of the main characters. Do you think that religion was portrayed negatively, positively, or objectively in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay stating whether or not you believe this novel should be considered a tragedy, please use examples from the novel. Please also identify any tragic hero and explain any tragic flaw that exists for that hero.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)