|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the one person who knows where Cheuh-min is hiding?
2. Who else is Chien-erh burning money for?
3. What is the name of Cheuh-hui's new magazine in Chapter 27?
4. When does Cheuh-hui learn of Ming-feng's death?
5. How old is the Venerable Master Kao going to be in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ming-feng do when she hears that she is to be Master Feng's concubine?
2. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
3. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
4. What happens during Jui-cheuh's childbirth?
5. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
6. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
7. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Jui-cheuh's move and what is his response?
8. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
9. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
10. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please compare and contrast the romantic relationship of Chueh-hsin and Mei with that of Chueh-min and Chin. What outside influences have affected both relationships and how do the participants in each relationship fare because of these influences?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the family structure and roles in China in early 1900s and identify the various characters that fulfill these roles in the story "Family." Are there any individuals in this story who seem to oppose this structure?
Essay Topic 3
Please choose one major theme in the story "Family" to identify and outline. How is this theme seen throughout the novel? Who in the novel does this theme affect? Was this theme central to the novel or could it have stood without this theme?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)