|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cheuh-hui feel about himself in Chapter 26?
2. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
3. What does Cheuh-hsin tell Mei when he sees her in the garden?
4. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
5. Who sees wounded soldiers being carried into the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
2. What is the general response to the death of Master Kao?
3. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
4. Why are the women scared of the curse of the blood-glow?
5. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
6. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
7. What is Cheuh-min's response to his arranged marriage?
8. What do the superstitious family members do to try and rid Master Kao of his illness?
9. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
10. What happens during Jui-cheuh's childbirth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arranged marriages play a large role in the story--please choose two characters and explain how the practice of arranged marriage has affected them specifically. What role does arranged marriage play in the story overall?
Essay Topic 2
Please compare and contrast the romantic relationship of Chueh-hsin and Mei with that of Chueh-min and Chin. What outside influences have affected both relationships and how do the participants in each relationship fare because of these influences?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay stating whether or not you believe this novel should be considered a tragedy, please use examples from the novel. Please also identify any tragic hero and explain any tragic flaw that exists for that hero.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)