|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cheuh-hui say to Mei's body as he leaves from paying his respect?
2. How old is the Venerable Master Kao going to be in Chapter 28?
3. How has Mei's disposition changed in Chapter 20 since the brothers have last seen her?
4. What advice does Cheuh-hsin give to his youngest brother about his arranged marriage?
5. Why is Chien-erh burning money for Wan-erh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during Jui-cheuh's childbirth?
2. Why are the women scared of the curse of the blood-glow?
3. What role does Cheuh-hui play in Cheuh-min's hiding?
4. Why is Chien-erh burning paper money?
5. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
6. How does Cheuh-hsin try to help Cheuh-min with his arranged marriage?
7. What is Cheuh-min's response to his arranged marriage?
8. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
9. What does Jui-cheuh share with Mei in Chapter 22?
10. What happens when news of the looting comes to the Kao compound?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pathos was used in this book. Please explain what pathos is and how it was used in this story.
Essay Topic 2
Please choose one major theme in the story "Family" to identify and outline. How is this theme seen throughout the novel? Who in the novel does this theme affect? Was this theme central to the novel or could it have stood without this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the importance and role of a plot line and its various sub-parts. Choose two of the sub-parts of a plot line and analyze their use in the book "Family."
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)