|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing that the family does to try and cure Master Kao from his illness?
2. Where is Master Kao during all the fighting?
3. What are the remaining people at the Kao compound fearful of as the fighting ceases?
4. Besides stealing, what else does Uncle Ke-ting confess to?
5. What does Chin give to Cheuh-hui to take to Cheuh-min?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the entertainment like at Master Kao's birthday and how to the two youngest brothers feel about it?
2. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
3. How does Master Kao respond to Ke-ting's misdeeds?
4. What role does Cheuh-hui play in Cheuh-min's hiding?
5. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
6. What happens during Jui-cheuh's childbirth?
7. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
8. Why is Chien-erh burning paper money?
9. How does Cheuh-hsin try to help Cheuh-min with his arranged marriage?
10. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Ming-feng's death and what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Social classes and ranking are mentioned throughout the story. Please explain what role social class played in the lives of each of the three brothers and the role it played in the entirety of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Pathos was used in this book. Please explain what pathos is and how it was used in this story.
Essay Topic 3
We reviewed the practice of concubinage--what is concubinage and what role does it play in the story? What influence, if any, do you think the traditional social role of women in China during the early 1900s have on the practice of concubinage?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)