|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cheuh-hui respond when he hears that Wan-erh is going to the Fengs as a concubine?
2. What does Cheuh-hsin tell Mei when he sees her in the garden?
3. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
4. Who sees wounded soldiers being carried into the city?
5. Who walks off with Mei after her confrontation with Chueh-hui in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cheuh-hsin try to help Cheuh-min with his arranged marriage?
2. What does Ming-feng do when she hears that she is to be Master Feng's concubine?
3. Why are the women scared of the curse of the blood-glow?
4. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
5. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
6. Why is Chien-erh burning paper money?
7. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
8. What is the general response to the death of Master Kao?
9. What happens when news of the looting comes to the Kao compound?
10. What is the entertainment like at Master Kao's birthday and how to the two youngest brothers feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was the literary technique of the love triangle used in this book and what parties were involved? In the end what is the outcome of the love triangle?
Essay Topic 2
Arranged marriages play a large role in the story--please choose two characters and explain how the practice of arranged marriage has affected them specifically. What role does arranged marriage play in the story overall?
Essay Topic 3
Pathos was used in this book. Please explain what pathos is and how it was used in this story.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)