|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which phrase best describes Mei's funeral?
2. How has Mei's disposition changed in Chapter 20 since the brothers have last seen her?
3. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
4. Who beings arguing over the property soon after Master Kao passes?
5. What does everyone seem to be thinking about as they hear the fighting outside the Kao compound?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
2. What do the superstitious family members do to try and rid Master Kao of his illness?
3. Why is Chien-erh burning paper money?
4. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Ming-feng's death and what is his response?
5. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
6. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
7. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
8. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
9. What does Ming-feng do when she hears that she is to be Master Feng's concubine?
10. What is the general response to the death of Master Kao?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was foreshadowing used in this story? Do you think that the use of foreshadowing was helpful to you as a reader? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the importance and role of a plot line and its various sub-parts. Choose two of the sub-parts of a plot line and analyze their use in the book "Family."
Essay Topic 3
Social classes and ranking are mentioned throughout the story. Please explain what role social class played in the lives of each of the three brothers and the role it played in the entirety of the story.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)