|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the literary character the Chin is trying to be like?
2. Where is Master Kao during all the fighting?
3. What advice does Cheuh-hsin give to his youngest brother about his arranged marriage?
4. Besides stealing, what else does Uncle Ke-ting confess to?
5. How does Cheuh-min's running make Cheuh-hsin feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jui-cheuh share with Mei in Chapter 22?
2. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
3. How does Cheuh-hsin try to help Cheuh-min with his arranged marriage?
4. What is the entertainment like at Master Kao's birthday and how to the two youngest brothers feel about it?
5. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
6. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Ming-feng's death and what is his response?
7. What is the general response to the death of Master Kao?
8. What happens during Jui-cheuh's childbirth?
9. How does Master Kao respond to Ke-ting's misdeeds?
10. How does the family feel the night that fighting breaks out around the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arranged marriages play a large role in the story--please choose two characters and explain how the practice of arranged marriage has affected them specifically. What role does arranged marriage play in the story overall?
Essay Topic 2
Please choose on character to analyze using the five categories studied in your daily lessons.
Essay Topic 3
Pathos was used in this book. Please explain what pathos is and how it was used in this story.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)