|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sees wounded soldiers being carried into the city?
2. Besides stealing, what else does Uncle Ke-ting confess to?
3. What word does Cheuh-hui use to describe his older brother in Chapter 26?
4. Why do they not let Cheuh-hsin into the room when Jui-cheuh is giving birth?
5. What is one thing that the family does to try and cure Master Kao from his illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Chien-erh burning paper money?
2. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
3. What happens when news of the looting comes to the Kao compound?
4. How does Cheuh-hsin try to help Cheuh-min with his arranged marriage?
5. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
6. What does Jui-cheuh share with Mei in Chapter 22?
7. Why are the women scared of the curse of the blood-glow?
8. What is the entertainment like at Master Kao's birthday and how to the two youngest brothers feel about it?
9. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Jui-cheuh's move and what is his response?
10. How does Master Kao respond to Ke-ting's misdeeds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We reviewed the practice of concubinage--what is concubinage and what role does it play in the story? What influence, if any, do you think the traditional social role of women in China during the early 1900s have on the practice of concubinage?
Essay Topic 2
Please choose on character to analyze using the five categories studied in your daily lessons.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the family structure and roles in China in early 1900s and identify the various characters that fulfill these roles in the story "Family." Are there any individuals in this story who seem to oppose this structure?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)