|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who walks off with Mei after her confrontation with Chueh-hui in the garden?
2. What is the state of the house Jui-cheuh must live in outside the city?
3. What is Ming-feng's ultimate reaction to being given as a concubine?
4. Which phrase best describes Mei's funeral?
5. Who does Cheuh-min stay with when he runs away to avoid his arranged marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
2. Why is Chien-erh burning paper money?
3. What is the entertainment like at Master Kao's birthday and how to the two youngest brothers feel about it?
4. What role does Cheuh-hui play in Cheuh-min's hiding?
5. What is the general response to the death of Master Kao?
6. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
7. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Jui-cheuh's move and what is his response?
8. What is Cheuh-min's response to his arranged marriage?
9. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
10. What do the superstitious family members do to try and rid Master Kao of his illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the purpose and method of characterization. How was characterization used in the case of the three brothers and what type of characterization(s) were used?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the family structure and roles in China in early 1900s and identify the various characters that fulfill these roles in the story "Family." Are there any individuals in this story who seem to oppose this structure?
Essay Topic 3
How was the literary technique of the love triangle used in this book and what parties were involved? In the end what is the outcome of the love triangle?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)