|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do they not let Cheuh-hsin into the room when Jui-cheuh is giving birth?
2. What is the name of the magazine that Cheuh-hui and some of his friends start to publish?
3. What reason does Cheuh-hsin give for not wanting his wife to go to pay Mei her respect?
4. What do the women think will happen to Master Kao's corpse if Jui-cheuh has her baby in their home?
5. What does Chin give to Cheuh-hui to take to Cheuh-min?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ming-feng do when she hears that she is to be Master Feng's concubine?
2. What do the superstitious family members do to try and rid Master Kao of his illness?
3. How does Master Kao respond to Ke-ting's misdeeds?
4. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Ming-feng's death and what is his response?
5. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
6. What does Jui-cheuh share with Mei in Chapter 22?
7. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
8. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Jui-cheuh's move and what is his response?
9. Why is Chien-erh burning paper money?
10. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay stating whether or not you believe this novel should be considered a tragedy, please use examples from the novel. Please also identify any tragic hero and explain any tragic flaw that exists for that hero.
Essay Topic 2
Please clarify the differences between mood, tone, and theme in a piece of literature. What is the mood and tone of "Family"? What is the main theme(s) of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Please compare and contrast conflict and climax in the story. Identify both the climax and conflict(s) in the novel and explain how they are linked to one another, if they are linked.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)