|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which phrase best describes Mei's funeral?
2. Why does Jui-cheuh have to go live outside the city gates until her child is born?
3. What advice does Cheuh-hsin give to his youngest brother about his arranged marriage?
4. Who is the one person who knows where Cheuh-min is hiding?
5. Why do they not let Cheuh-hsin into the room when Jui-cheuh is giving birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cheuh-hsin try to help Cheuh-min with his arranged marriage?
2. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
3. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Jui-cheuh's move and what is his response?
4. How does the family feel the night that fighting breaks out around the city?
5. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
6. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
7. What is the general response to the death of Master Kao?
8. Why are the women scared of the curse of the blood-glow?
9. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
10. What role does Cheuh-hui play in Cheuh-min's hiding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the purpose of symbolism in a piece of literature and identify symbolism used in the novel. In your opinion was the use of symbolism in the book effective?
Essay Topic 2
Arranged marriages play a large role in the story--please choose two characters and explain how the practice of arranged marriage has affected them specifically. What role does arranged marriage play in the story overall?
Essay Topic 3
Please compare and contrast conflict and climax in the story. Identify both the climax and conflict(s) in the novel and explain how they are linked to one another, if they are linked.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)