|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
2. What punishment does Master Kao make Ke-ting do in front of everyone?
3. What does Master Kao tell Cheuh-min right before his death?
4. Which family member stumbles upon Mei and Cheuh-hsin in the garden?
5. What is the state of the house Jui-cheuh must live in outside the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the family structure and roles in China in early 1900s and identify the various characters that fulfill these roles in the story "Family." Are there any individuals in this story who seem to oppose this structure?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the purpose of symbolism in a piece of literature and identify symbolism used in the novel. In your opinion was the use of symbolism in the book effective?
Essay Topic 3
Please choose one major theme in the story "Family" to identify and outline. How is this theme seen throughout the novel? Who in the novel does this theme affect? Was this theme central to the novel or could it have stood without this theme?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)