|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing that the family does to try and cure Master Kao from his illness?
2. Who tells Cheuh-hui of Ming-feng's death?
3. How has Mei's disposition changed in Chapter 20 since the brothers have last seen her?
4. How does Jui-cheuh feel about being made to live outside the city in her state?
5. Who is the one person who knows where Cheuh-min is hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Ming-feng's death and what is his response?
2. What is the general response to the death of Master Kao?
3. How does the family feel the night that fighting breaks out around the city?
4. Why are the women scared of the curse of the blood-glow?
5. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
6. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
7. What is Cheuh-min's response to his arranged marriage?
8. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
9. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
10. What role does Cheuh-hui play in Cheuh-min's hiding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We reviewed the practice of concubinage--what is concubinage and what role does it play in the story? What influence, if any, do you think the traditional social role of women in China during the early 1900s have on the practice of concubinage?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the family structure and roles in China in early 1900s and identify the various characters that fulfill these roles in the story "Family." Are there any individuals in this story who seem to oppose this structure?
Essay Topic 3
Pathos was used in this book. Please explain what pathos is and how it was used in this story.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)