|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Master Kao during all the fighting?
2. Who is Cheuh-min to be married to?
3. Why is Chien-erh burning money for Wan-erh?
4. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
5. Who is the one person who knows where Cheuh-min is hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during Jui-cheuh's childbirth?
2. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Jui-cheuh's move and what is his response?
3. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
4. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
5. How does Master Kao respond to Ke-ting's misdeeds?
6. What do the superstitious family members do to try and rid Master Kao of his illness?
7. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
8. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
9. How does the family feel the night that fighting breaks out around the city?
10. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the difference between protagonist and antagonist characters and their roles in a story. Who would be considered antagonist(s) and protagonist(s) in the story "Family" and how did you come to this conclusion?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe the three funerals that occur in this novel. Explain what the reader can learn about each one of these characters through their funerals.
Essay Topic 3
Please choose one major theme in the story "Family" to identify and outline. How is this theme seen throughout the novel? Who in the novel does this theme affect? Was this theme central to the novel or could it have stood without this theme?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)