|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
2. How does Cheuh-hui get the others to turn the boat around and head back home?
3. Who seems to be the most distraught by the military fighting that is happening?
4. What advice does Cheuh-hsin give to his youngest brother about his arranged marriage?
5. What is the subject of discussion for Chin and Shu-chen while they are taking a boat ride?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
2. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
3. How does Master Kao respond to Ke-ting's misdeeds?
4. What role does Cheuh-hui play in Cheuh-min's hiding?
5. Why is Chien-erh burning paper money?
6. What does Ming-feng do when she hears that she is to be Master Feng's concubine?
7. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
8. What happens during Jui-cheuh's childbirth?
9. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
10. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the religion setting in China at the time this story takes place. What role, if any, does religion play in the story and in the lives of some of the main characters. Do you think that religion was portrayed negatively, positively, or objectively in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay stating whether or not you believe this novel should be considered a tragedy, please use examples from the novel. Please also identify any tragic hero and explain any tragic flaw that exists for that hero.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the family structure and roles in China in early 1900s and identify the various characters that fulfill these roles in the story "Family." Are there any individuals in this story who seem to oppose this structure?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)