|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does everyone seem to be thinking about as they hear the fighting outside the Kao compound?
2. Who walks off with Mei after her confrontation with Chueh-hui in the garden?
3. How is Cheuh-min's mindset in Chapter 31?
4. Where is Master Kao during all the fighting?
5. Who tells Cheuh-hui of Ming-feng's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ming-feng do when she hears that she is to be Master Feng's concubine?
2. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
3. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
4. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Ming-feng's death and what is his response?
5. What happens during Jui-cheuh's childbirth?
6. How does Master Kao respond to Ke-ting's misdeeds?
7. What is the general response to the death of Master Kao?
8. How does Cheuh-hsin try to help Cheuh-min with his arranged marriage?
9. What is the entertainment like at Master Kao's birthday and how to the two youngest brothers feel about it?
10. What is Cheuh-min's response to his arranged marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please compare and contrast conflict and climax in the story. Identify both the climax and conflict(s) in the novel and explain how they are linked to one another, if they are linked.
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the difference between protagonist and antagonist characters and their roles in a story. Who would be considered antagonist(s) and protagonist(s) in the story "Family" and how did you come to this conclusion?
Essay Topic 3
Arranged marriages play a large role in the story--please choose two characters and explain how the practice of arranged marriage has affected them specifically. What role does arranged marriage play in the story overall?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)