|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon hearing of the looting in the city, what orders does Cheuh-hsin give to his younger brothers?
2. Who is the one person who knows where Cheuh-min is hiding?
3. What word does Cheuh-hui use to describe his older brother in Chapter 26?
4. Who is Cheuh-min to be married to?
5. What is one thing that the family does to try and cure Master Kao from his illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ming-feng do when she hears that she is to be Master Feng's concubine?
2. How does Master Kao respond to Ke-ting's misdeeds?
3. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
4. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
5. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
6. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
7. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
8. How does Cheuh-hsin try to help Cheuh-min with his arranged marriage?
9. What do the superstitious family members do to try and rid Master Kao of his illness?
10. What happens when news of the looting comes to the Kao compound?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was foreshadowing used in this story? Do you think that the use of foreshadowing was helpful to you as a reader? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Please compare and contrast the romantic relationship of Chueh-hsin and Mei with that of Chueh-min and Chin. What outside influences have affected both relationships and how do the participants in each relationship fare because of these influences?
Essay Topic 3
How was the literary technique of the love triangle used in this book and what parties were involved? In the end what is the outcome of the love triangle?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)