|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Chueh-hui frustrated with his brothers?
2. How does Ming-Feng respond when Chueh-hui says he wants to protect her?
3. From what family is Chueh-hsin's wife?
4. Besides the boys' cousin, what other relatives are at dinner during the first three chapters of the story?
5. What is Ming-Feng gathering for Madame Chou and Mrs. Chang?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cheuh-hui's reaction to the dragon show?
2. What does Chueh-hsin feel has happened to all his dreams in Chapter 6?
3. Please describe Chin and her mother's relationship.
4. How does Chueh-hui think of Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
5. What does Yeh yeh lecture Chueh-hui about in Chapter 9?
6. How is Mama Huang described?
7. How does Uncle Ke-ting prepare for the fireworks show?
8. What news does a classmate tell Chueh-hui as he is leaving his brother's office?
9. What do Chueh-hui and Jui-cheuh talk about in the garden?
10. What news does Chin share about Mei in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please clarify the differences between mood, tone, and theme in a piece of literature. What is the mood and tone of "Family"? What is the main theme(s) of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the purpose of symbolism in a piece of literature and identify symbolism used in the novel. In your opinion was the use of symbolism in the book effective?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the religion setting in China at the time this story takes place. What role, if any, does religion play in the story and in the lives of some of the main characters. Do you think that religion was portrayed negatively, positively, or objectively in this story?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)