|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chin's mother not allow her to go to the boys' school?
2. How does Cheuh-hui feel about the boys shooting fireworks at the dancers?
3. How does Ming-Feng respond when Chueh-hui says he wants to protect her?
4. Besides the boys' cousin, what other relatives are at dinner during the first three chapters of the story?
5. What does Cheuh-hui realize about how the talk of change and the new order affects Cheuh-hsin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
2. Why does Chueh-hui join students at the park after hearing what the soldiers have done?
3. What news does a classmate tell Chueh-hui as he is leaving his brother's office?
4. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Jui-cheuh's move and what is his response?
5. Who else knows of Cheuh-hui's leaving?
6. How does Chueh-hui think of Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
7. What is on Ming-feng's mind in Chapter 4?
8. What is Chueh-hui and Ming-feng's interaction like in Chapter 10?
9. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
10. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
Essay Topic 1
Please compare and contrast the romantic relationship of Chueh-hsin and Mei with that of Chueh-min and Chin. What outside influences have affected both relationships and how do the participants in each relationship fare because of these influences?
Essay Topic 2
We reviewed the practice of concubinage--what is concubinage and what role does it play in the story? What influence, if any, do you think the traditional social role of women in China during the early 1900s have on the practice of concubinage?
Essay Topic 3
Social classes and ranking are mentioned throughout the story. Please explain what role social class played in the lives of each of the three brothers and the role it played in the entirety of the story.
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)