|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Mei returned to Chengtu?
2. What is Chueh-hsin's hope for his son?
3. Chueh-hui wonders if who can marry Ming-Feng?
4. How does Chin feel when her mother says she cannot attend the boys' school?
5. What type of stories do the sedan chair drivers tell Chueh-hui?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
2. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
3. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
4. What is Cheuh-min's response to his arranged marriage?
5. What is a common theme seen in Chapters 4 through 6?
6. How is Mama Huang described?
7. Please describe Chin and her mother's relationship.
8. What happens during Jui-cheuh's childbirth?
9. What is the general response to the death of Master Kao?
10. What does Chueh-hsin share with his brothers about the night their father died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel delves heavily into various relationship, both family and romantic. Please choose two of the relationships that you observed in the novel and dissect it, the parties involved and the role that this relationship played in the novel at large. Did these relationships serve to further the plot, theme, mood, tone, etc.?
Essay Topic 2
Please choose one major theme in the story "Family" to identify and outline. How is this theme seen throughout the novel? Who in the novel does this theme affect? Was this theme central to the novel or could it have stood without this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Arranged marriages play a large role in the story--please choose two characters and explain how the practice of arranged marriage has affected them specifically. What role does arranged marriage play in the story overall?
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)