|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chueh-hui see his servants?
2. What exam does Chueh-min help Chin study for?
3. What is Master Kao's friend Feng looking for?
4. Who ruined the student play in Chapter 7?
5. Why are the boys hurrying home to dinner at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Chueh-hui and Ming-feng's interaction like in Chapter 10?
2. What is life like on the compound in Chapter 17 when Chin comes to stay?
3. Please describe Chin and her mother's relationship.
4. What does Chueh-hsin share with his brothers about the night their father died?
5. How does Chueh-hui think of Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
6. What is the setting of Chapter 1?
7. What does Yeh yeh lecture Chueh-hui about in Chapter 9?
8. What does Chin think about going to the boys school?
9. What is on Ming-feng's mind in Chapter 4?
10. How does Chueh-hui spend his house arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We reviewed the practice of concubinage--what is concubinage and what role does it play in the story? What influence, if any, do you think the traditional social role of women in China during the early 1900s have on the practice of concubinage?
Essay Topic 2
Social classes and ranking are mentioned throughout the story. Please explain what role social class played in the lives of each of the three brothers and the role it played in the entirety of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the three funerals that occur in this novel. Explain what the reader can learn about each one of these characters through their funerals.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)