|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is one thing that the brothers have in common?
2. Which of the following words does not describe Chin?
3. How old is Chueh-min?
4. How does Chueh-hui see his servants?
5. In Chapter 11, how does Chueh-hui vent his frustrations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chueh-hui overhear Ming-fung and Wan-erh talking about?
2. Why are the women scared of the curse of the blood-glow?
3. What does Ming-feng do when she hears that she is to be Master Feng's concubine?
4. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
5. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
6. What does Jui-cheuh share with Mei in Chapter 22?
7. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
8. What do Chueh-hui and Jui-cheuh talk about in the garden?
9. How does Cheuh-hsin respond to Cheuh-hui's decision in Chapter 37?
10. From what is shared in the first three chapters, how is the brothers' family best described?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay stating whether or not you believe this novel should be considered a tragedy, please use examples from the novel. Please also identify any tragic hero and explain any tragic flaw that exists for that hero.
Essay Topic 2
How was foreshadowing used in this story? Do you think that the use of foreshadowing was helpful to you as a reader? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Please choose one major theme in the story "Family" to identify and outline. How is this theme seen throughout the novel? Who in the novel does this theme affect? Was this theme central to the novel or could it have stood without this theme?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)