|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Chueh-hui overhear speaking with a maid in Chapter 10?
2. Chueh-hui wonders if who can marry Ming-Feng?
3. In Chapter 11, how does Chueh-hui vent his frustrations?
4. How does Chueh-hui feel about his act of giving money to a begger?
5. What word does not describe the Cheuh family?
Short Essay Questions
1. From what is shared in the first three chapters, how is the brothers' family best described?
2. Please describe Chin and her mother's relationship.
3. What does Chin think about going to the boys school?
4. How does Uncle Ke-ting prepare for the fireworks show?
5. Why does Chueh-hui join students at the park after hearing what the soldiers have done?
6. Why does Chueh-hui feel critical about his brothers in Chapter 12?
7. What does Chueh-hui overhear Ming-fung and Wan-erh talking about?
8. What is the setting of Chapter 1?
9. What is on Ming-feng's mind in Chapter 4?
10. What does Chueh-hsin feel has happened to all his dreams in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please choose on character to analyze using the five categories studied in your daily lessons.
Essay Topic 2
Please describe the religion setting in China at the time this story takes place. What role, if any, does religion play in the story and in the lives of some of the main characters. Do you think that religion was portrayed negatively, positively, or objectively in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Social classes and ranking are mentioned throughout the story. Please explain what role social class played in the lives of each of the three brothers and the role it played in the entirety of the story.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)