|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the two brothers head over to Chin's house after they pay their respects to the gods?
2. What is it that Master Kao does for the gods?
3. What is Cousin Mei's disposition when the two younger brother see her at Chin's house?
4. Who sent Ming-Feng off to be a servant?
5. What does Chueh-hui learn when playing chess with his sister-in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chin think about going to the boys school?
2. What secret does Chin share with her cousins about Chueh-hsin and Mei?
3. How does Chueh-hsin feel about his arranged marriage and his new wife?
4. How is Mei when her cousins first see her in Chapter 15?
5. How does Chueh-hui spend his house arrest?
6. What does Chueh-hsin share with his brothers about the night their father died?
7. What does Yeh yeh lecture Chueh-hui about in Chapter 9?
8. How does Uncle Ke-ting prepare for the fireworks show?
9. What is a common theme seen in Chapters 4 through 6?
10. How does Cheuh-hui try to spend time with Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the religion setting in China at the time this story takes place. What role, if any, does religion play in the story and in the lives of some of the main characters. Do you think that religion was portrayed negatively, positively, or objectively in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Arranged marriages play a large role in the story--please choose two characters and explain how the practice of arranged marriage has affected them specifically. What role does arranged marriage play in the story overall?
Essay Topic 3
Social classes and ranking are mentioned throughout the story. Please explain what role social class played in the lives of each of the three brothers and the role it played in the entirety of the story.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)