|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the younger brothers like "New Tide" so much?
2. Who seems to become nervous and quiet around Chin?
3. What exam does Chueh-min help Chin study for?
4. What is the weather like in the opening setting of the story?
5. What does Chueh-hui learn when playing chess with his sister-in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yeh yeh lecture Chueh-hui about in Chapter 9?
2. How does Chueh-hsin feel about his arranged marriage and his new wife?
3. How does Chueh-hui spend his house arrest?
4. How is Mama Huang described?
5. Why is Cheuh-hsin hiding on New Year's Day?
6. What does Chueh-hsin share with his brothers about the night their father died?
7. What secret does Chin share with her cousins about Chueh-hsin and Mei?
8. What news does a classmate tell Chueh-hui as he is leaving his brother's office?
9. How do the students respond when the governor does not keep his promise to meet their demands?
10. How is Mei when her cousins first see her in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the religion setting in China at the time this story takes place. What role, if any, does religion play in the story and in the lives of some of the main characters. Do you think that religion was portrayed negatively, positively, or objectively in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Please compare and contrast the romantic relationship of Chueh-hsin and Mei with that of Chueh-min and Chin. What outside influences have affected both relationships and how do the participants in each relationship fare because of these influences?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the three funerals that occur in this novel. Explain what the reader can learn about each one of these characters through their funerals.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)