|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ming-Feng?
2. What days does Chueh-hsin get off from work?
3. At what point in the first three chapters does the reader find out the brothers are from the gentry?
4. What part of Ming-Feng does Chueh-hui compare with Chin?
5. How does most of the Kao family treat servants and those of a lower class?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chueh-hsin feel about his arranged marriage and his new wife?
2. Please describe Chin.
3. What does Chueh-hsin share with his brothers about the night their father died?
4. What does Chin think about going to the boys school?
5. What is on Ming-feng's mind in Chapter 4?
6. Why is Cheuh-hsin hiding on New Year's Day?
7. What is Chueh-hui and Ming-feng's interaction like in Chapter 10?
8. From what is shared in the first three chapters, how is the brothers' family best described?
9. What secret does Chin share with her cousins about Chueh-hsin and Mei?
10. How does Cheuh-hui try to spend time with Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the three funerals that occur in this novel. Explain what the reader can learn about each one of these characters through their funerals.
Essay Topic 2
Please clarify the differences between mood, tone, and theme in a piece of literature. What is the mood and tone of "Family"? What is the main theme(s) of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the difference between protagonist and antagonist characters and their roles in a story. Who would be considered antagonist(s) and protagonist(s) in the story "Family" and how did you come to this conclusion?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)