|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Mrs. Chang want Chueh-hsin to purchase for her?
2. Who ruined the student play in Chapter 7?
3. What word does not describe the Cheuh family?
4. What do Chin and Cheuh-min think of the boys shooting fireworks at the dancers?
5. What is Jui-cheuh trying to do by inviting Chueh-hui to play chess with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yeh yeh lecture Chueh-hui about in Chapter 9?
2. What is a common theme seen in Chapters 4 through 6?
3. Why does Chueh-hui feel critical about his brothers in Chapter 12?
4. How is Mama Huang described?
5. Why is Cheuh-hsin hiding on New Year's Day?
6. From what is shared in the first three chapters, how is the brothers' family best described?
7. How do the students respond when the governor does not keep his promise to meet their demands?
8. How does Chueh-hui spend his house arrest?
9. What news does Chin share about Mei in Chapter 7?
10. What is on Ming-feng's mind in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the importance and role of a plot line and its various sub-parts. Choose two of the sub-parts of a plot line and analyze their use in the book "Family."
Essay Topic 2
Please choose on character to analyze using the five categories studied in your daily lessons.
Essay Topic 3
Please compare and contrast conflict and climax in the story. Identify both the climax and conflict(s) in the novel and explain how they are linked to one another, if they are linked.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)