|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chueh-hsin feel about having an arranged marriage?
2. How old is Chueh-hsin when he finds out his father has arranged his marriage?
3. Why does Cheuh-hsin feel bad about thinking of Mei so much since he has last seen her?
4. The boys walk home from school instead of riding in what?
5. Why does Chin think she will not be able to go to the boys' school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Chueh-hui and Jui-cheuh talk about in the garden?
2. Please describe Chin and her mother's relationship.
3. What does Chueh-hsin share with his brothers about the night their father died?
4. Why does Chueh-hui feel critical about his brothers in Chapter 12?
5. What is life like on the compound in Chapter 17 when Chin comes to stay?
6. What does Chin think about going to the boys school?
7. How does Chueh-hui think of Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
8. How is Mama Huang described?
9. How does Chueh-hui spend his house arrest?
10. What is the occurrence with Chueh-hui and the begger boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please choose one major theme in the story "Family" to identify and outline. How is this theme seen throughout the novel? Who in the novel does this theme affect? Was this theme central to the novel or could it have stood without this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay stating whether or not you believe this novel should be considered a tragedy, please use examples from the novel. Please also identify any tragic hero and explain any tragic flaw that exists for that hero.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the difference between protagonist and antagonist characters and their roles in a story. Who would be considered antagonist(s) and protagonist(s) in the story "Family" and how did you come to this conclusion?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)