|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chueh-hsin's hope for his son?
2. How old is Chueh-hsin when he finds out his father has arranged his marriage?
3. According to Chapter 15, when was the last time the boys saw their cousin Mei?
4. What does Cheuh-hui realize about how the talk of change and the new order affects Cheuh-hsin?
5. What is one way the students launch their campaign?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chueh-hui feel critical about his brothers in Chapter 12?
2. What is Chueh-hui and Ming-feng's interaction like in Chapter 10?
3. What does Yeh yeh lecture Chueh-hui about in Chapter 9?
4. From what is shared in the first three chapters, how is the brothers' family best described?
5. What is the setting of Chapter 1?
6. What secret does Chin share with her cousins about Chueh-hsin and Mei?
7. How does Uncle Ke-ting prepare for the fireworks show?
8. What news does Chin share about Mei in Chapter 7?
9. What is the occurrence with Chueh-hui and the begger boy?
10. How is Mei when her cousins first see her in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the importance and role of a plot line and its various sub-parts. Choose two of the sub-parts of a plot line and analyze their use in the book "Family."
Essay Topic 2
Please compare and contrast conflict and climax in the story. Identify both the climax and conflict(s) in the novel and explain how they are linked to one another, if they are linked.
Essay Topic 3
Arranged marriages play a large role in the story--please choose two characters and explain how the practice of arranged marriage has affected them specifically. What role does arranged marriage play in the story overall?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)