|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chueh-hsin feel about having an arranged marriage?
2. The boys walk home from school instead of riding in what?
3. What item does Mrs. Chang want Chueh-hsin to purchase for her?
4. What comfort does Chueh-hsin find in his wife?
5. What is Wan-erh afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mei when her cousins first see her in Chapter 15?
2. What does Yeh yeh lecture Chueh-hui about in Chapter 9?
3. From what is shared in the first three chapters, how is the brothers' family best described?
4. How does Chueh-hui spend his house arrest?
5. How does Cheuh-hui try to spend time with Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
6. How does Uncle Ke-ting prepare for the fireworks show?
7. What is the occurrence with Chueh-hui and the begger boy?
8. What do Chueh-hui and Jui-cheuh talk about in the garden?
9. What news does Chin share about Mei in Chapter 7?
10. How is Mama Huang described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the three funerals that occur in this novel. Explain what the reader can learn about each one of these characters through their funerals.
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the purpose and method of characterization. How was characterization used in the case of the three brothers and what type of characterization(s) were used?
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the family structure and roles in China in early 1900s and identify the various characters that fulfill these roles in the story "Family." Are there any individuals in this story who seem to oppose this structure?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)