|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ruined the student play in Chapter 7?
2. What decision does Chueh-hui make, despite the fact it may anger his grandfather?
3. Who does Chueh-hui overhear speaking with a maid in Chapter 10?
4. How old was Ming-Feng when she was sent to be a servant?
5. Why is Chueh-hui frustrated with his brothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the students respond when the governor does not keep his promise to meet their demands?
2. How does Cheuh-hui try to spend time with Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
3. How is Mama Huang described?
4. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
5. What news does Chin share about Mei in Chapter 7?
6. What does Chin think about going to the boys school?
7. What does Yeh yeh lecture Chueh-hui about in Chapter 9?
8. Please describe Chin.
9. Who else knows of Cheuh-hui's leaving?
10. What role does Cheuh-hui play in Cheuh-min's hiding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please compare and contrast conflict and climax in the story. Identify both the climax and conflict(s) in the novel and explain how they are linked to one another, if they are linked.
Essay Topic 2
Please clarify the differences between mood, tone, and theme in a piece of literature. What is the mood and tone of "Family"? What is the main theme(s) of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the purpose and method of characterization. How was characterization used in the case of the three brothers and what type of characterization(s) were used?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)