|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Mama Huang been with the Kao family?
2. Why does Chin think she will not be able to go to the boys' school?
3. How has Chueh-hui been feeling during the New Years holiday?
4. Who sent Ming-Feng off to be a servant?
5. Why do the younger brothers like "New Tide" so much?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Chueh-hui and Jui-cheuh talk about in the garden?
2. Please describe Chin.
3. How does Chueh-hui spend his house arrest?
4. How is Mama Huang described?
5. How does Mrs. Chang feel about Chin wanting to go to a boys' school?
6. Why is Cheuh-hsin hiding on New Year's Day?
7. How does Cheuh-hui try to spend time with Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
8. What is Chueh-hui and Ming-feng's interaction like in Chapter 10?
9. What does Chin think about going to the boys school?
10. How does Chueh-hsin feel about his arranged marriage and his new wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay stating whether or not you believe this novel should be considered a tragedy, please use examples from the novel. Please also identify any tragic hero and explain any tragic flaw that exists for that hero.
Essay Topic 2
How was the literary technique of the love triangle used in this book and what parties were involved? In the end what is the outcome of the love triangle?
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the difference between protagonist and antagonist characters and their roles in a story. Who would be considered antagonist(s) and protagonist(s) in the story "Family" and how did you come to this conclusion?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)