|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of stories do the sedan chair drivers tell Chueh-hui?
2. What part of Ming-Feng does Chueh-hui compare with Chin?
3. Who puts on the dragon show for the family?
4. Where are the brothers walking home from at the opening of the book?
5. At the beginning of the book, why does Cheuh-hui stay to talk to the servant girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chueh-hui feel critical about his brothers in Chapter 12?
2. What news does a classmate tell Chueh-hui as he is leaving his brother's office?
3. What does Chin think about going to the boys school?
4. Please describe Chin.
5. Why does Chueh-hui join students at the park after hearing what the soldiers have done?
6. How is Mei when her cousins first see her in Chapter 15?
7. What news does Chin share about Mei in Chapter 7?
8. What is the setting of Chapter 1?
9. What is a common theme seen in Chapters 4 through 6?
10. How do the students respond when the governor does not keep his promise to meet their demands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please clarify the differences between mood, tone, and theme in a piece of literature. What is the mood and tone of "Family"? What is the main theme(s) of the story?
Essay Topic 2
How was the literary technique of the love triangle used in this book and what parties were involved? In the end what is the outcome of the love triangle?
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the importance and role of a plot line and its various sub-parts. Choose two of the sub-parts of a plot line and analyze their use in the book "Family."
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)