|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Cheuh-hsin hiding behind a shelter at the other end of the Kao compound?
2. What does Chueh-min run inside to do before heading off to dinner?
3. What part of Ming-Feng does Chueh-hui compare with Chin?
4. Who does Chueh-min confess he is in love with in Chapter 10?
5. In Chapter 11, what does Jui-cheuh say she is embroidering for her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Chin share about Mei in Chapter 7?
2. How does Chueh-hui vent his frustrations while under his house arrest?
3. What secret does Chin share with her cousins about Chueh-hsin and Mei?
4. How does Cheuh-hui try to spend time with Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
5. Please describe Chin.
6. What is on Ming-feng's mind in Chapter 4?
7. What does Chueh-hui overhear Ming-fung and Wan-erh talking about?
8. How do the students respond when the governor does not keep his promise to meet their demands?
9. How does Uncle Ke-ting prepare for the fireworks show?
10. Why does Chueh-hui feel critical about his brothers in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay stating whether or not you believe this novel should be considered a tragedy, please use examples from the novel. Please also identify any tragic hero and explain any tragic flaw that exists for that hero.
Essay Topic 2
Please clarify the differences between mood, tone, and theme in a piece of literature. What is the mood and tone of "Family"? What is the main theme(s) of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the purpose of symbolism in a piece of literature and identify symbolism used in the novel. In your opinion was the use of symbolism in the book effective?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)