|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ruined the student play in Chapter 7?
2. When does Chin mention her attending the boys' school to her mother?
3. What word does not describe the Cheuh family?
4. Why has been Cheuh-hsin been drinking so much in Chapter 14?
5. Why does Chin's mother not allow her to go to the boys' school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the students respond when the governor does not keep his promise to meet their demands?
2. What secret does Chin share with her cousins about Chueh-hsin and Mei?
3. How does Cheuh-hui try to spend time with Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
4. How does Chueh-hui think of Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
5. From what is shared in the first three chapters, how is the brothers' family best described?
6. How is Mama Huang described?
7. What is life like on the compound in Chapter 17 when Chin comes to stay?
8. How does Uncle Ke-ting prepare for the fireworks show?
9. What is the setting of Chapter 1?
10. How does Chueh-hsin feel about his arranged marriage and his new wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please clarify the differences between mood, tone, and theme in a piece of literature. What is the mood and tone of "Family"? What is the main theme(s) of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the purpose and method of characterization. How was characterization used in the case of the three brothers and what type of characterization(s) were used?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the religion setting in China at the time this story takes place. What role, if any, does religion play in the story and in the lives of some of the main characters. Do you think that religion was portrayed negatively, positively, or objectively in this story?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)