|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who promises to keep an eye on Cheuh-hui to make sure he does not leave the house for a few days?
2. From what family is Chueh-hsin's wife?
3. What is the name of the author of the book that Chueh-hui is reading in Chapter 12?
4. At what point in the first three chapters does the reader find out the brothers are from the gentry?
5. What campaign do the students launch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Please describe Chin and her mother's relationship.
2. What is Chueh-hui and Ming-feng's interaction like in Chapter 10?
3. What news does a classmate tell Chueh-hui as he is leaving his brother's office?
4. What is on Ming-feng's mind in Chapter 4?
5. What is life like on the compound in Chapter 17 when Chin comes to stay?
6. Why does Chueh-hui join students at the park after hearing what the soldiers have done?
7. How does Chueh-hui vent his frustrations while under his house arrest?
8. Why does Chueh-hui feel critical about his brothers in Chapter 12?
9. What does Chueh-hsin feel has happened to all his dreams in Chapter 6?
10. Why is Cheuh-hsin hiding on New Year's Day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the three funerals that occur in this novel. Explain what the reader can learn about each one of these characters through their funerals.
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the purpose and method of characterization. How was characterization used in the case of the three brothers and what type of characterization(s) were used?
Essay Topic 3
Please choose on character to analyze using the five categories studied in your daily lessons.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)