|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, where does Cheuh-hsin tell his brothers he has seen Mei?
2. What do we learn about Chin's father in Chapter 5?
3. How does Chin feel when her mother says she cannot attend the boys' school?
4. What was it that kept Chueh-hsin and Mei from marrying?
5. What is Ming-Feng gathering for Madame Chou and Mrs. Chang?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chueh-hui vent his frustrations while under his house arrest?
2. Why is Cheuh-hsin hiding on New Year's Day?
3. How is Mei when her cousins first see her in Chapter 15?
4. What is the setting of Chapter 1?
5. What does Chin think about going to the boys school?
6. How do the students respond when the governor does not keep his promise to meet their demands?
7. Why does Chueh-hui join students at the park after hearing what the soldiers have done?
8. What does Chueh-hui overhear Ming-fung and Wan-erh talking about?
9. What is a common theme seen in Chapters 4 through 6?
10. How does Chueh-hui think of Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel delves heavily into various relationship, both family and romantic. Please choose two of the relationships that you observed in the novel and dissect it, the parties involved and the role that this relationship played in the novel at large. Did these relationships serve to further the plot, theme, mood, tone, etc.?
Essay Topic 2
Please clarify the differences between mood, tone, and theme in a piece of literature. What is the mood and tone of "Family"? What is the main theme(s) of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Social classes and ranking are mentioned throughout the story. Please explain what role social class played in the lives of each of the three brothers and the role it played in the entirety of the story.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)