|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the responsibility of his family fall onto Chueh-hsin's shoulders soon after his marriage?
2. What is Cheuh-hsin's grandfather's name?
3. Who ruined the student play in Chapter 7?
4. What is Cousin Mei's disposition when the two younger brother see her at Chin's house?
5. How does Cheuh-hui feel about the boys shooting fireworks at the dancers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yeh yeh lecture Chueh-hui about in Chapter 9?
2. What news does Chin share about Mei in Chapter 7?
3. How does Chueh-hsin feel about his arranged marriage and his new wife?
4. What do Chueh-hui and Jui-cheuh talk about in the garden?
5. How is Mei when her cousins first see her in Chapter 15?
6. What does Chueh-hsin share with his brothers about the night their father died?
7. Please describe Chin and her mother's relationship.
8. What is Chueh-hui and Ming-feng's interaction like in Chapter 10?
9. What does Chueh-hui overhear Ming-fung and Wan-erh talking about?
10. Please describe Chin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the purpose and method of characterization. How was characterization used in the case of the three brothers and what type of characterization(s) were used?
Essay Topic 2
Please compare and contrast conflict and climax in the story. Identify both the climax and conflict(s) in the novel and explain how they are linked to one another, if they are linked.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the purpose of symbolism in a piece of literature and identify symbolism used in the novel. In your opinion was the use of symbolism in the book effective?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)