|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ming-Feng?
2. How does Cheuh-hui feel about the boys shooting fireworks at the dancers?
3. Who are the students petitioning in reaction to their play being ruined?
4. In Chapter 14, where does Cheuh-hsin tell his brothers he has seen Mei?
5. Who tutors some of Chin's relatives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Chueh-hui and Ming-feng's interaction like in Chapter 10?
2. How does Chueh-hsin feel about his arranged marriage and his new wife?
3. Please describe Chin.
4. How is Mama Huang described?
5. What is Cheuh-hui's reaction to the dragon show?
6. What does Chin think about going to the boys school?
7. What secret does Chin share with her cousins about Chueh-hsin and Mei?
8. What is a common theme seen in Chapters 4 through 6?
9. What does Chueh-hsin share with his brothers about the night their father died?
10. How is Mei when her cousins first see her in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was the literary technique of the love triangle used in this book and what parties were involved? In the end what is the outcome of the love triangle?
Essay Topic 2
Pathos was used in this book. Please explain what pathos is and how it was used in this story.
Essay Topic 3
Please clarify the differences between mood, tone, and theme in a piece of literature. What is the mood and tone of "Family"? What is the main theme(s) of the story?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)