|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much younger than Chueh-min is Chueh-hui?
2. At the beginning of the book, why does Cheuh-hui stay to talk to the servant girl?
3. Why are the boys hurrying home to dinner at the beginning of the book?
4. Why does Cheuh-hsin feel bad about thinking of Mei so much since he has last seen her?
5. Who does Chueh-min confess he is in love with in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
2. What does Ming-feng do when she hears that she is to be Master Feng's concubine?
3. Why is Cheuh-hsin hiding on New Year's Day?
4. Why are the women scared of the curse of the blood-glow?
5. What is Chueh-hui and Ming-feng's interaction like in Chapter 10?
6. How does Master Kao respond to Ke-ting's misdeeds?
7. What is the general response to the death of Master Kao?
8. What secret does Chin share with her cousins about Chueh-hsin and Mei?
9. What does Chueh-hui overhear Ming-fung and Wan-erh talking about?
10. What does Chin think about going to the boys school?
Essay Topic 1
How was the literary technique of the love triangle used in this book and what parties were involved? In the end what is the outcome of the love triangle?
Essay Topic 2
Arranged marriages play a large role in the story--please choose two characters and explain how the practice of arranged marriage has affected them specifically. What role does arranged marriage play in the story overall?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the religion setting in China at the time this story takes place. What role, if any, does religion play in the story and in the lives of some of the main characters. Do you think that religion was portrayed negatively, positively, or objectively in this story?
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)