Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Master Kao's friend Feng looking for?
2. What decision does Chueh-hui make, despite the fact it may anger his grandfather?
3. Who is Mei?
4. From what family is Chueh-hsin's wife?
5. In Chapter 11, what does Jui-cheuh say she is embroidering for her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the occurrence with Chueh-hui and the begger boy?
2. How does Cheuh-hui feel about leaving and where is he going?
3. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Jui-cheuh's move and what is his response?
4. What do Chueh-hui and Jui-cheuh talk about in the garden?
5. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
6. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
7. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
8. Please describe Chin and her mother's relationship.
9. Who else knows of Cheuh-hui's leaving?
10. From what is shared in the first three chapters, how is the brothers' family best described?
Please describe the three funerals that occur in this novel. Explain what the reader can learn about each one of these characters through their funerals.
Arranged marriages play a large role in the story--please choose two characters and explain how the practice of arranged marriage has affected them specifically. What role does arranged marriage play in the story overall?
Please describe the religion setting in China at the time this story takes place. What role, if any, does religion play in the story and in the lives of some of the main characters. Do you think that religion was portrayed negatively, positively, or objectively in this story?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)