|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Chin mention her attending the boys' school to her mother?
2. Why does Chin think she will not be able to go to the boys' school?
3. Why do the two brothers head over to Chin's house after they pay their respects to the gods?
4. Where are the brothers walking home from at the opening of the book?
5. What part of Ming-Feng does Chueh-hui compare with Chin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the occurrence with Chueh-hui and the begger boy?
2. Why does Chueh-hui feel critical about his brothers in Chapter 12?
3. What does Chueh-hui overhear Ming-fung and Wan-erh talking about?
4. How does Chueh-hui spend his house arrest?
5. Please describe Chin.
6. What is life like on the compound in Chapter 17 when Chin comes to stay?
7. What does Yeh yeh lecture Chueh-hui about in Chapter 9?
8. What secret does Chin share with her cousins about Chueh-hsin and Mei?
9. What is the setting of Chapter 1?
10. How does Cheuh-hui try to spend time with Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the purpose of symbolism in a piece of literature and identify symbolism used in the novel. In your opinion was the use of symbolism in the book effective?
Essay Topic 2
Please compare and contrast conflict and climax in the story. Identify both the climax and conflict(s) in the novel and explain how they are linked to one another, if they are linked.
Essay Topic 3
Arranged marriages play a large role in the story--please choose two characters and explain how the practice of arranged marriage has affected them specifically. What role does arranged marriage play in the story overall?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)