|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cheuh-hsin's grandfather's name?
2. In Chapter 11, what does Jui-cheuh say she is embroidering for her husband?
3. Who seems to become nervous and quiet around Chin?
4. What is Cousin Mei's disposition when the two younger brother see her at Chin's house?
5. What is one way the students launch their campaign?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mama Huang described?
2. How does Chueh-hui spend his house arrest?
3. Please describe Chin.
4. What news does a classmate tell Chueh-hui as he is leaving his brother's office?
5. How do the students respond when the governor does not keep his promise to meet their demands?
6. Why is Cheuh-hsin hiding on New Year's Day?
7. How does Cheuh-hui try to spend time with Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
8. Why does Chueh-hui feel critical about his brothers in Chapter 12?
9. Please describe Chin and her mother's relationship.
10. How does Mrs. Chang feel about Chin wanting to go to a boys' school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the purpose of symbolism in a piece of literature and identify symbolism used in the novel. In your opinion was the use of symbolism in the book effective?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the family structure and roles in China in early 1900s and identify the various characters that fulfill these roles in the story "Family." Are there any individuals in this story who seem to oppose this structure?
Essay Topic 3
Please choose on character to analyze using the five categories studied in your daily lessons.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)