|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who beings arguing over the property soon after Master Kao passes?
(a) The three brothers.
(b) The uncles.
(c) Madame Chou.
(d) Mrs. Chang.
2. What punishment does Master Kao make Ke-ting do in front of everyone?
(a) Cut off his hair.
(b) Cut off his beard.
(c) Hit himself.
(d) Curse himself.
3. What does Cheuh-hui say to Mei's body as he leaves from paying his respect?
(a) You didn't die; you've been murdered.
(b) Life has not been fair to you.
(c) You were too good a woman.
(d) My brother has always loved you.
4. What reason does Cheuh-hsin give for not wanting his wife to go to pay Mei her respect?
(a) She is pregnant and it would not be good.
(b) The journey is too difficult.
(c) Mei would not want her there.
(d) There will be too many people there.
5. What do the women think will happen to Master Kao's corpse if Jui-cheuh has her baby in their home?
(a) The child she bears will be cursed.
(b) Her blood will attack his body.
(c) Jui-cheuh will be struck with illness.
(d) The baby will be born a girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Cheuh-hui's new magazine in Chapter 27?
2. What does Cheuh-hsin tell Mei when he sees her in the garden?
3. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
4. How does Master Kao respond to Cheuh-hsin's request to call off his youngest brother's arranged marriage?
5. How do Cheuh-hui and Cheuh-min feel about the many lewd entertainments at the birthday celebration?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Jui-cheuh's move and what is his response?
2. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
3. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Ming-feng's death and what is his response?
4. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
5. What does Ming-feng do when she hears that she is to be Master Feng's concubine?
6. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
7. What is Cheuh-min's response to his arranged marriage?
8. What happens when news of the looting comes to the Kao compound?
9. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
10. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)