|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it that Cheuh-hsin cannot go outside to visit his wife for a few days?
(a) Because he does not like having to travel outside the city.
(b) Because the women think he may be in danger.
(c) Because he is needed at the magazine office.
(d) Because he has to supervise the building of Kao's gravesite.
2. What does Cheuh-hsin tell Mei when he sees her in the garden?
(a) He needs her to stay with him forever.
(b) He is glad she is so happy.
(c) He wishes she never returned to the city.
(d) He feels she is being cruel toward him.
3. What does Chin give to Cheuh-hui to take to Cheuh-min?
(a) A lock of hair.
(b) A fan.
(c) A letter.
(d) A photo of her.
4. Who seems to be the most distraught by the military fighting that is happening?
(a) Madam Chang.
5. How do Cheuh-hui and Cheuh-min feel about the many lewd entertainments at the birthday celebration?
(a) They enjoy them.
(b) They think they are funny.
(c) They don't really care either way.
(d) They are disgusted by them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cheuh-min say he has been so wrapped up in that he has not had time to talk with Cheuh-hui about his feelings?
2. In Chapter 23, who sees one of Cheuh-hui's articles?
3. Who seems to be the calmest about the military fighting?
4. What punishment does Master Kao make Ke-ting do in front of everyone?
5. When Ming-feng goes to Cheuh-hui for help, how does he respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the women scared of the curse of the blood-glow?
2. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
3. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
4. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Ming-feng's death and what is his response?
5. Why is Chien-erh burning paper money?
6. How does the family feel the night that fighting breaks out around the city?
7. What does Jui-cheuh share with Mei in Chapter 22?
8. What happens during Jui-cheuh's childbirth?
9. What is the entertainment like at Master Kao's birthday and how to the two youngest brothers feel about it?
10. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)