|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Master Kao respond to Cheuh-hsin's request to call off his youngest brother's arranged marriage?
(a) He is furious.
(b) He is understanding.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He is silent and resigned.
2. What does Cheuh-hsin tell Mei when he sees her in the garden?
(a) He feels she is being cruel toward him.
(b) He needs her to stay with him forever.
(c) He is glad she is so happy.
(d) He wishes she never returned to the city.
3. What does Cheuh-min say he has been so wrapped up in that he has not had time to talk with Cheuh-hui about his feelings?
(a) School work.
(b) Family obligations.
(c) The ideas of the revolution.
(d) His love for Chin.
4. Why do Mrs. Chang, Chin, and Mei come to the Kao compound the day after the fighting starts?
(a) Because they feel safer with the men.
(b) Because the military has taken over their home.
(c) Because Master Kao has invited them.
(d) Because their house is too close to the fighting.
5. Upon hearing of the looting in the city, what orders does Cheuh-hsin give to his younger brothers?
(a) To sneak out and purchase more food.
(b) To stand guard over the compound at night.
(c) To hide with the women in the lake house.
(d) To fortify the compounds gates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Cheuh-hui of Ming-feng's death?
2. Why do they not let Cheuh-hsin into the room when Jui-cheuh is giving birth?
3. What do the women think will happen to Master Kao's corpse if Jui-cheuh has her baby in their home?
4. What does Master Kao tell Cheuh-min right before his death?
5. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jui-cheuh share with Mei in Chapter 22?
2. What is Cheuh-min's response to his arranged marriage?
3. Why are the women scared of the curse of the blood-glow?
4. What happens when news of the looting comes to the Kao compound?
5. How does Cheuh-hsin try to help Cheuh-min with his arranged marriage?
6. What is the general response to the death of Master Kao?
7. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Jui-cheuh's move and what is his response?
8. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Ming-feng's death and what is his response?
9. What is the entertainment like at Master Kao's birthday and how to the two youngest brothers feel about it?
10. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)