|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jui-cheuh have to go live outside the city gates until her child is born?
(a) Because of the fighting inside the city.
(b) Because she is in danger.
(c) Because it is tradition.
(d) Because the fears of the Kao women.
2. What items has Ke-ting been stealing from his wife?
(a) Paper money.
(b) Gold coins.
3. What reason does Cheuh-hsin give for not wanting his wife to go to pay Mei her respect?
(a) Mei would not want her there.
(b) The journey is too difficult.
(c) There will be too many people there.
(d) She is pregnant and it would not be good.
4. Upon hearing of the looting in the city, what orders does Cheuh-hsin give to his younger brothers?
(a) To fortify the compounds gates.
(b) To stand guard over the compound at night.
(c) To hide with the women in the lake house.
(d) To sneak out and purchase more food.
5. How has Mei's disposition changed in Chapter 20 since the brothers have last seen her?
(a) She is much happier now.
(b) She is very angry now.
(c) She is enjoying her life now.
(d) It has not changed, she is still melancholy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23, who sees one of Cheuh-hui's articles?
2. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
3. Which phrase best describes Mei's funeral?
4. Who is the one person who knows where Cheuh-min is hiding?
5. How does Cheuh-hui feel about himself in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the women scared of the curse of the blood-glow?
2. What does Jui-cheuh share with Mei in Chapter 22?
3. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
4. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
5. Why is Chien-erh burning paper money?
6. How does the family feel the night that fighting breaks out around the city?
7. What is Cheuh-min's response to his arranged marriage?
8. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
9. What role does Cheuh-hui play in Cheuh-min's hiding?
10. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Ming-feng's death and what is his response?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)