|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Mrs. Chang, Chin, and Mei come to the Kao compound the day after the fighting starts?
(a) Because the military has taken over their home.
(b) Because their house is too close to the fighting.
(c) Because Master Kao has invited them.
(d) Because they feel safer with the men.
2. How does Cheuh-hui feel about himself in Chapter 26?
(a) He is confident in himself.
(b) He feels sorry for himself.
(c) He hates himself.
(d) He is proud of himself.
3. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
(a) Raise up in arms against the governor.
(b) Refuse to fall in love.
(c) Get an education.
(d) Stop honoring the gods.
4. What reason does Cheuh-hsin give for not wanting his wife to go to pay Mei her respect?
(a) The journey is too difficult.
(b) There will be too many people there.
(c) Mei would not want her there.
(d) She is pregnant and it would not be good.
5. How does Jui-cheuh feel when her husband and son leave her home in chapter 36?
(a) As though she will never see them again.
(b) Happy because she needs to rest.
(c) Upset and frustrated with her husband.
(d) Sad but comforted that she will see them soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ming-feng's ultimate reaction to being given as a concubine?
2. What advice does Cheuh-hsin give to his youngest brother about his arranged marriage?
3. How does Jui-cheuh feel about being made to live outside the city in her state?
4. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
5. Who seems to be the most distraught by the military fighting that is happening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ming-feng do when she hears that she is to be Master Feng's concubine?
2. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
3. How does the family feel the night that fighting breaks out around the city?
4. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
5. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Jui-cheuh's move and what is his response?
6. What happens during Jui-cheuh's childbirth?
7. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Ming-feng's death and what is his response?
8. What does Jui-cheuh share with Mei in Chapter 22?
9. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
10. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)