|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ming-feng goes to Cheuh-hui for help, how does he respond?
(a) He convinces her to fun away.
(b) He tells her he is busy and to come talk to him in two days.
(c) He sends her to be a servant for Mrs. Wang.
(d) He tells her he will marry her instead.
2. Who is Cheuh-min to be married to?
(a) Zheng's daughter.
(b) Chou's grand-daughter.
(c) Feng's daughter.
(d) Fu's neice.
3. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
(a) To write Cheuh-hui a ticket.
(b) To pick up a copy of the publication.
(c) To ask them to shut down the magazine.
(d) To arrest Hui-ju.
4. What does everyone seem to be thinking about as they hear the fighting outside the Kao compound?
(a) They think about the governor.
(b) They think about dying.
(c) They think about how much they love each other.
(d) They think about how to escape the city without notice.
5. What reason does Cheuh-hsin give for not wanting his wife to go to pay Mei her respect?
(a) There will be too many people there.
(b) Mei would not want her there.
(c) The journey is too difficult.
(d) She is pregnant and it would not be good.
Short Answer Questions
1. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
2. What is Ming-feng's ultimate reaction to being given as a concubine?
3. What is the subject of discussion for Chin and Shu-chen while they are taking a boat ride?
4. Why has Uncle Ke-ting been stealing from his wife?
5. How many children does Mrs. Wang have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Chien-erh burning paper money?
2. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
3. What does Ming-feng do when she hears that she is to be Master Feng's concubine?
4. What is Cheuh-min's response to his arranged marriage?
5. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
6. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
7. What is the entertainment like at Master Kao's birthday and how to the two youngest brothers feel about it?
8. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
9. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Ming-feng's death and what is his response?
10. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)