|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who beings arguing over the property soon after Master Kao passes?
(a) The three brothers.
(b) Mrs. Chang.
(c) Madame Chou.
(d) The uncles.
2. Which phrase best describes Mei's funeral?
(a) Large and grand.
(b) Small but emotional.
(c) A big production.
(d) Small and pointless.
3. What does Cheuh-hui say to Mei's body as he leaves from paying his respect?
(a) My brother has always loved you.
(b) You didn't die; you've been murdered.
(c) Life has not been fair to you.
(d) You were too good a woman.
4. How does Jui-cheuh feel when her husband and son leave her home in chapter 36?
(a) Sad but comforted that she will see them soon.
(b) Happy because she needs to rest.
(c) Upset and frustrated with her husband.
(d) As though she will never see them again.
5. What reason does Cheuh-hsin give for not wanting his wife to go to pay Mei her respect?
(a) The journey is too difficult.
(b) There will be too many people there.
(c) Mei would not want her there.
(d) She is pregnant and it would not be good.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the women think will happen to Master Kao's corpse if Jui-cheuh has her baby in their home?
2. Which family member stumbles upon Mei and Cheuh-hsin in the garden?
3. Why does Jui-cheuh have to go live outside the city gates until her child is born?
4. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
5. What advice does Cheuh-hsin give to his youngest brother about his arranged marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when news of the looting comes to the Kao compound?
2. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
3. What is the entertainment like at Master Kao's birthday and how to the two youngest brothers feel about it?
4. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
5. What do the superstitious family members do to try and rid Master Kao of his illness?
6. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
7. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Jui-cheuh's move and what is his response?
8. Why is Chien-erh burning paper money?
9. What does Ming-feng do when she hears that she is to be Master Feng's concubine?
10. What is Cheuh-min's response to his arranged marriage?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)