|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Master Kao respond to Cheuh-hsin's request to call off his youngest brother's arranged marriage?
(a) He is furious.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is silent and resigned.
(d) He is understanding.
2. Who does Cheuh-min stay with when he runs away to avoid his arranged marriage?
(b) A school friend.
(c) Mrs. Chang.
(d) A friend from the magazine.
3. What is Ming-feng's ultimate reaction to being given as a concubine?
(a) She elopes with another man.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She becomes a servant in someone else's household instead.
4. Which family member stumbles upon Mei and Cheuh-hsin in the garden?
(a) Madam Chang.
(b) Uncle Ke-ting.
5. What is the name of Cheuh-hui's new magazine in Chapter 27?
(b) Down with the aristocracy.
(c) Liberty for all.
(d) For the Masses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sees wounded soldiers being carried into the city?
2. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
3. How old is the Venerable Master Kao going to be in Chapter 28?
4. How does Cheuh-hui respond when he hears that Wan-erh is going to the Fengs as a concubine?
5. Who is the first person Cheuh-hui goes to see after he visits his ill grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cheuh-hui hear of Jui-cheuh's move and what is his response?
2. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
3. What happens when news of the looting comes to the Kao compound?
4. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
5. What is the entertainment like at Master Kao's birthday and how to the two youngest brothers feel about it?
6. What are Master Kao's last dying words to his grandsons?
7. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
8. What do the superstitious family members do to try and rid Master Kao of his illness?
9. What is the general response to the death of Master Kao?
10. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)