|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chin think she will not be able to go to the boys' school?
(a) Because she is a girl, and girls are not allowed at the school.
(b) Because she does not have enough money.
(c) Because her family will never let her.
(d) Because she is not smart enough.
2. How does Ming-Feng respond when Chueh-hui says he wants to protect her?
(a) She says that they cannot love each other.
(b) She says she thinks about him a lot.
(c) She tells him to stay away from her.
(d) She says that she needs to leave.
3. What does Cheuh-hui realize about how the talk of change and the new order affects Cheuh-hsin?
(a) He realizes it must anger him because he likes tradition.
(b) He realizes it must devastate him because he is stuck.
(c) He realizes it makes him happy because he is free.
(d) He realizes it must give him hope because he wants change.
4. In Chapter 16, what does Cheuh-hui do that makes Ming-feng feel safe?
(a) He sings her a song.
(b) He holds her hand.
(c) He stands outside her room.
(d) He writes her a love poem.
5. What instrument is Chueh-hsin playing his sad song on?
(a) A flute.
(b) A guitar.
(c) A lyre.
(d) A lute.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fear does Ming-Feng have?
2. What role does Chueh-hsin play in the fireworks display?
3. Why are the boys hurrying home to dinner at the beginning of the book?
4. What type of stories do the sedan chair drivers tell Chueh-hui?
5. Who does Chueh-min confess he is in love with in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cheuh-hui's reaction to the dragon show?
2. How is Mama Huang described?
3. How does Cheuh-hui try to spend time with Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
4. What news does a classmate tell Chueh-hui as he is leaving his brother's office?
5. What does Chin think about going to the boys school?
6. Why does Chueh-hui feel critical about his brothers in Chapter 12?
7. What does Chueh-hsin share with his brothers about the night their father died?
8. How does Chueh-hui think of Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
9. What is a common theme seen in Chapters 4 through 6?
10. How does Chueh-hui vent his frustrations while under his house arrest?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)