|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jui-cheuh trying to do by inviting Chueh-hui to play chess with her?
(a) Teach him how to be a better chess player.
(b) Ask him about Ming-Feng.
(c) Tell him a secret.
(d) Cheer him up.
2. How old was Ming-Feng when she was sent to be a servant?
(a) Seven years old.
(b) Six years old.
(c) Nine years old.
(d) Eight years old.
3. Who are the students petitioning in reaction to their play being ruined?
(a) The police.
(b) The Governor.
(c) Master Kao.
(d) The local monk.
4. Chueh-hui wonders if who can marry Ming-Feng?
5. At what point in the first three chapters does the reader find out the brothers are from the gentry?
(a) When the boys names and ages are being shared.
(b) During dinner.
(c) When the boys are walking home.
(d) When Chueh-hui first speaks to Ming-Feng.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes Chin's relationship with her mother?
2. Who sent Ming-Feng off to be a servant?
3. How are family members seated at the New Year's Eve feast?
4. Who tutors some of Chin's relatives?
5. What exam does Chueh-min help Chin study for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does a classmate tell Chueh-hui as he is leaving his brother's office?
2. How does Cheuh-hui try to spend time with Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
3. How does Mrs. Chang feel about Chin wanting to go to a boys' school?
4. Why does Chueh-hui feel critical about his brothers in Chapter 12?
5. From what is shared in the first three chapters, how is the brothers' family best described?
6. What is on Ming-feng's mind in Chapter 4?
7. What is a common theme seen in Chapters 4 through 6?
8. How is Mei when her cousins first see her in Chapter 15?
9. How does Chueh-hsin feel about his arranged marriage and his new wife?
10. Please describe Chin.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)