|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Ming-Feng?
(a) Fourteen years old.
(b) Nineteen years old.
(c) Seventeen years old.
(d) Sixteen years old.
2. What decision does Chueh-hui make, despite the fact it may anger his grandfather?
(a) He decides to leave the city and set out on his own.
(b) He decides to no longer stay at home.
(c) He decides to write his own liberal magazine.
(d) He decides to advocate revolutionary thinking.
3. In Chapter 16, what does Cheuh-hui do that makes Ming-feng feel safe?
(a) He writes her a love poem.
(b) He sings her a song.
(c) He stands outside her room.
(d) He holds her hand.
4. Why does the responsibility of his family fall onto Chueh-hsin's shoulders soon after his marriage?
(a) His father dies.
(b) Because he is now a man.
(c) He is clearly going to be rich.
(d) Because he is the smartest son.
5. How does Chin feel when her mother says she cannot attend the boys' school?
(a) She knows her mother loves her.
(b) She gets angry and hates her mother.
(c) She does not care, she did not want to go anyway.
(d) She is happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Chueh-hui frustrated with his brothers?
2. What is Jui-cheuh trying to do by inviting Chueh-hui to play chess with her?
3. What is the second line to this proverb: "benevolent rulers, happy family..."?
4. What subject does Chueh-hsin expect to go study at university?
5. Who helps with making the fireworks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chueh-hui think of Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
2. How does Chueh-hui spend his house arrest?
3. What does Chueh-hsin share with his brothers about the night their father died?
4. How does Uncle Ke-ting prepare for the fireworks show?
5. What is a common theme seen in Chapters 4 through 6?
6. What is Cheuh-hui's reaction to the dragon show?
7. What is life like on the compound in Chapter 17 when Chin comes to stay?
8. How is Mei when her cousins first see her in Chapter 15?
9. How does Chueh-hsin feel about his arranged marriage and his new wife?
10. How does Cheuh-hui try to spend time with Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)