|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lectures Cheuh-hui about his behavior in Chapter 9?
(a) His older brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His mother.
2. Who seems to become nervous and quiet around Chin?
3. What is Chueh-hsin's hope for his son?
(a) That he will love his wife as Chueh-hsin does.
(b) That he will refuse to follow traditions.
(c) That he will enter the army.
(d) That will carry out Chueh-hsin's thwarted dreams.
4. How does Cheuh-hui feel about the boys shooting fireworks at the dancers?
(a) He thinks that it is nice of them.
(b) He thinks it is disgusting.
(c) He thinks it is funny.
(d) He really does not care.
5. According to Chapter 15, when was the last time the boys saw their cousin Mei?
(a) At her wedding.
(b) At the New Years holiday festivities.
(c) Before she was married.
(d) When she had her first child.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, how does Chueh-hui vent his frustrations?
2. Which of the following is one thing that the brothers have in common?
3. In Chapter 16, what does Cheuh-hui do that makes Ming-feng feel safe?
4. Why do the two brothers head over to Chin's house after they pay their respects to the gods?
5. What decision does Chueh-hui make, despite the fact it may anger his grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
2. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
3. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
4. What is Chueh-hui and Ming-feng's interaction like in Chapter 10?
5. From what is shared in the first three chapters, how is the brothers' family best described?
6. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
7. What does Jui-cheuh share with Mei in Chapter 22?
8. How does Chueh-hsin feel about his arranged marriage and his new wife?
9. How does Cheuh-hui feel about leaving and where is he going?
10. What is the general response to the death of Master Kao?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)