|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does Mrs. Chang want Chueh-hsin to purchase for her?
(b) Meat for dinner.
(d) Silk fabric.
2. Besides the boys' cousin, what other relatives are at dinner during the first three chapters of the story?
(a) Their great-grandfather.
(b) Two uncles.
(c) The boys grandparents.
(d) Two aunts.
3. How does most of the Kao family treat servants and those of a lower class?
(a) They do not associate with such people.
(b) With respect.
(d) Without respect.
4. What does Cheuh-hui realize about how the talk of change and the new order affects Cheuh-hsin?
(a) He realizes it makes him happy because he is free.
(b) He realizes it must give him hope because he wants change.
(c) He realizes it must anger him because he likes tradition.
(d) He realizes it must devastate him because he is stuck.
5. How does Chueh-hui feel about his act of giving money to a begger?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, where does Cheuh-hsin tell his brothers he has seen Mei?
2. Why does Chin's mother not allow her to go to the boys' school?
3. How old is Ming-Feng?
4. How long has Mama Huang been with the Kao family?
5. Why do the two brothers head over to Chin's house after they pay their respects to the gods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during Jui-cheuh's childbirth?
2. What does Jui-cheuh share with Mei in Chapter 22?
3. How does Jui-cheuh seem to respond to Mei initially?
4. Why does Chueh-hui join students at the park after hearing what the soldiers have done?
5. Describe the boat ride the cousins are on in Chapter 19.
6. From what is shared in the first three chapters, how is the brothers' family best described?
7. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
8. Why does Chueh-hui feel critical about his brothers in Chapter 12?
9. How does Chueh-hui think of Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
10. How does Chueh-hsin feel about his arranged marriage and his new wife?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)