|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decision does Chueh-hui make, despite the fact it may anger his grandfather?
(a) He decides to no longer stay at home.
(b) He decides to leave the city and set out on his own.
(c) He decides to write his own liberal magazine.
(d) He decides to advocate revolutionary thinking.
2. Why does Cheuh-hsin feel bad about thinking of Mei so much since he has last seen her?
(a) Because he knows she does not love him.
(b) Because he really does not like Mei.
(c) Because he thinks this would displease his father.
(d) Because he loves his wife and son so much.
3. Why has Mei returned to Chengtu?
(a) Her mother is ill.
(b) She missed home.
(c) Her husband has died.
(d) Her husband got a new job.
4. Why does Chueh-hsin love plum blossoms so much?
(a) Because of their scent.
(b) Because Mei's name means "plum blossom."
(c) Because his mother used to pick them for him.
(d) Because they remind him of the spring.
5. Why do the younger brothers like "New Tide" so much?
(a) It shows pictures of pretty women.
(b) It has nice photographs.
(c) They like the poetry section.
(d) It talks about revolutionary topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ming-Feng get in trouble with the women?
2. What word best describes Chin's relationship with her mother?
3. What is the weather like in the opening setting of the story?
4. Why does the responsibility of his family fall onto Chueh-hsin's shoulders soon after his marriage?
5. What type of stories do the sedan chair drivers tell Chueh-hui?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cheuh-hui try to spend time with Ming-feng in Chapter 3?
2. What does Chin think about going to the boys school?
3. How is Mei when her cousins first see her in Chapter 15?
4. What secret does Chin share with her cousins about Chueh-hsin and Mei?
5. Please describe Chin and her mother's relationship.
6. How does Uncle Ke-ting prepare for the fireworks show?
7. Why does Chueh-hui feel critical about his brothers in Chapter 12?
8. From what is shared in the first three chapters, how is the brothers' family best described?
9. How do the students respond when the governor does not keep his promise to meet their demands?
10. How does Chueh-hui vent his frustrations while under his house arrest?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)