|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the boys hurrying home to dinner at the beginning of the book?
(a) Because it is a holiday.
(b) Because they are late.
(c) Because they have guests visitig.
(d) Because they are hungry.
2. At the beginning of the book, why does Cheuh-hui stay to talk to the servant girl?
(a) He needs her to go get something for him.
(b) He wants her to tell his parents he is ill.
(c) He thinks that she is beautiful.
(d) He wants her to do his homework.
3. How does Ming-Feng respond when Chueh-hui says he wants to protect her?
(a) She says she thinks about him a lot.
(b) She tells him to stay away from her.
(c) She says that she needs to leave.
(d) She says that they cannot love each other.
4. Why does Chin's mother not allow her to go to the boys' school?
(a) The school is too difficult for Chin to get into.
(b) She feels people will gossip.
(c) She thinks likes to make Chin unhappy.
(d) She does not think Chin will learn enough there.
5. What word best describes Chin's relationship with her mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Mama Huang been with the Kao family?
2. What is Jui-cheuh trying to do by inviting Chueh-hui to play chess with her?
3. Why does Ming-Feng get in trouble with the women?
4. How much younger than Chueh-min is Chueh-hui?
5. At what point in the first three chapters does the reader find out the brothers are from the gentry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Please describe Chin.
2. What does Chueh-hsin feel has happened to all his dreams in Chapter 6?
3. Why does Chueh-hui join students at the park after hearing what the soldiers have done?
4. What does Chueh-hui overhear Ming-fung and Wan-erh talking about?
5. What do Cheuh-hsin and Mei talk about while in the garden at the Kao compound?
6. Because of their fear of the curse, what to the women pressure Cheuh-hsin to do and how does his wife feel about this?
7. What do Chueh-hui and Jui-cheuh talk about in the garden?
8. How does Cheuh-hui feel about his life after Ming-feng's death?
9. What is Cheuh-min's response to his arranged marriage?
10. What is Chueh-hui and Ming-feng's interaction like in Chapter 10?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)