|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jui-cheuh feel about being made to live outside the city in her state?
(a) She thinks it an adventure.
(b) She is angry and refuses.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is hurt by it.
2. What does everyone seem to be thinking about as they hear the fighting outside the Kao compound?
(a) They think about how to escape the city without notice.
(b) They think about dying.
(c) They think about the governor.
(d) They think about how much they love each other.
3. Who tells Cheuh-hui of Ming-feng's death?
4. What is the state of the house Jui-cheuh must live in outside the city?
(a) Grand and well stocked.
(b) Damp with a dirt floor.
(c) Warm and comfortable.
(d) Small but cozy.
5. What does Cheuh-hui say to Mei's body as he leaves from paying his respect?
(a) You didn't die; you've been murdered.
(b) Life has not been fair to you.
(c) My brother has always loved you.
(d) You were too good a woman.
6. How does Cheuh-min's running make Cheuh-hsin feel?
7. Who sees wounded soldiers being carried into the city?
8. What does Master Kao tell Cheuh-min right before his death?
(a) That he does not have to marry the Feng girl.
(b) That he is to have no inheritance.
(c) That he still must go through with the arranged marriage.
(d) That he has disgraced the family.
9. What does Chin give to Cheuh-hui to take to Cheuh-min?
(a) A photo of her.
(b) A letter.
(c) A fan.
(d) A lock of hair.
10. Why is Chien-erh burning money for Wan-erh?
(a) Because Wan-erh's life is worse than death.
(b) Because Wan-erh has died.
(c) In order to curse Wan-erh.
(d) In hopes that the gods will free Wan-erh.
11. How does Jui-cheuh feel when her husband and son leave her home in chapter 36?
(a) As though she will never see them again.
(b) Sad but comforted that she will see them soon.
(c) Happy because she needs to rest.
(d) Upset and frustrated with her husband.
12. What must be done to Master Kao's coffin to keep him safe from curses?
(a) It must be blessed by a temple priest.
(b) A layer of bricks and dirt must cover it.
(c) It must be set on fire.
(d) A gold medallion must be fastened to it.
13. Besides stealing, what else does Uncle Ke-ting confess to?
(a) Stealing from Master Kao.
(b) Being addicted to drugs.
(c) Having children out of wedlock.
(d) Killing a man.
14. Why has Uncle Ke-ting been stealing from his wife?
(a) To pay off gambling debt.
(b) To keep a concubine in the city.
(c) To try and leave her.
(d) To cover his drinking costs.
15. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
(a) To ask them to shut down the magazine.
(b) To arrest Hui-ju.
(c) To pick up a copy of the publication.
(d) To write Cheuh-hui a ticket.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Cheuh-hui learn of Ming-feng's death?
2. How old is the Venerable Master Kao going to be in Chapter 28?
3. How many children does Mrs. Wang have?
4. Why is Cheuh-hui sick of the aristocratic life?
5. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)