|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
(a) To write Cheuh-hui a ticket.
(b) To pick up a copy of the publication.
(c) To arrest Hui-ju.
(d) To ask them to shut down the magazine.
2. What is the name of the literary character the Chin is trying to be like?
3. What is the name of Cheuh-hui's new magazine in Chapter 27?
(a) Down with the aristocracy.
(b) Liberty for all.
(c) For the Masses.
4. Who sees wounded soldiers being carried into the city?
5. How many children does Mrs. Wang have?
6. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
(a) Curse of the black night.
(b) Curse of the undead.
(c) Curse of the blood-glow.
(d) Curse of the seven sisters.
7. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
(a) Stop honoring the gods.
(b) Refuse to fall in love.
(c) Get an education.
(d) Raise up in arms against the governor.
8. How does Master Kao respond to Cheuh-hsin's request to call off his youngest brother's arranged marriage?
(a) He is silent and resigned.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is understanding.
(d) He is furious.
9. How is Cheuh-min's mindset in Chapter 31?
(a) Fearful and lonely.
(b) Frustrated and annoyed.
(c) Patient and hopeful.
(d) Lonely but cheerful.
10. What does Cheuh-hsin tell Mei when he sees her in the garden?
(a) He is glad she is so happy.
(b) He wishes she never returned to the city.
(c) He needs her to stay with him forever.
(d) He feels she is being cruel toward him.
11. What does Chin give to Cheuh-hui to take to Cheuh-min?
(a) A lock of hair.
(b) A photo of her.
(c) A fan.
(d) A letter.
12. What word does Cheuh-hui use to describe his older brother in Chapter 26?
13. Who walks off with Mei after her confrontation with Chueh-hui in the garden?
(a) Yeh yeh.
14. Where is Master Kao during all the fighting?
(a) At Mrs. Chang's.
(b) Fighting for the general.
(c) Visiting relatives.
(d) At the Kao compound.
15. How does Cheuh-min's running make Cheuh-hsin feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Master Kao tell Cheuh-min right before his death?
2. What must be done to Master Kao's coffin to keep him safe from curses?
3. How does Jui-cheuh feel when her husband and son leave her home in chapter 36?
4. What does Cheuh-min say he has been so wrapped up in that he has not had time to talk with Cheuh-hui about his feelings?
5. Who else is Chien-erh burning money for?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)