|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it that Cheuh-hsin cannot go outside to visit his wife for a few days?
(a) Because he is needed at the magazine office.
(b) Because he has to supervise the building of Kao's gravesite.
(c) Because he does not like having to travel outside the city.
(d) Because the women think he may be in danger.
2. What does Master Kao tell Cheuh-min right before his death?
(a) That he has disgraced the family.
(b) That he still must go through with the arranged marriage.
(c) That he does not have to marry the Feng girl.
(d) That he is to have no inheritance.
3. Why do Mrs. Chang, Chin, and Mei come to the Kao compound the day after the fighting starts?
(a) Because Master Kao has invited them.
(b) Because the military has taken over their home.
(c) Because their house is too close to the fighting.
(d) Because they feel safer with the men.
4. What does Cheuh-hui hear when he arrives to the compound after school in Chapter 25?
5. What does everyone seem to be thinking about as they hear the fighting outside the Kao compound?
(a) They think about how to escape the city without notice.
(b) They think about the governor.
(c) They think about dying.
(d) They think about how much they love each other.
6. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
(a) Curse of the black night.
(b) Curse of the blood-glow.
(c) Curse of the undead.
(d) Curse of the seven sisters.
7. What is the name of the literary character the Chin is trying to be like?
8. What is the state of the house Jui-cheuh must live in outside the city?
(a) Damp with a dirt floor.
(b) Grand and well stocked.
(c) Small but cozy.
(d) Warm and comfortable.
9. Who tells Cheuh-hui of Ming-feng's death?
10. Which of the following does not occur at Master Kao's birthday celebration?
(a) Silent retreats.
11. How does Cheuh-hui feel about himself in Chapter 26?
(a) He is confident in himself.
(b) He feels sorry for himself.
(c) He is proud of himself.
(d) He hates himself.
12. Which family member stumbles upon Mei and Cheuh-hsin in the garden?
(b) Uncle Ke-ting.
(c) Madam Chang.
13. Upon hearing of the looting in the city, what orders does Cheuh-hsin give to his younger brothers?
(a) To hide with the women in the lake house.
(b) To fortify the compounds gates.
(c) To stand guard over the compound at night.
(d) To sneak out and purchase more food.
14. When Ming-feng goes to Cheuh-hui for help, how does he respond?
(a) He sends her to be a servant for Mrs. Wang.
(b) He tells her he is busy and to come talk to him in two days.
(c) He convinces her to fun away.
(d) He tells her he will marry her instead.
15. Where is Master Kao during all the fighting?
(a) Fighting for the general.
(b) At Mrs. Chang's.
(c) At the Kao compound.
(d) Visiting relatives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cheuh-min stay with when he runs away to avoid his arranged marriage?
2. What does Cheuh-hsin tell Mei when he sees her in the garden?
3. What advice does Cheuh-hsin give to his youngest brother about his arranged marriage?
4. How does Jui-cheuh feel about being made to live outside the city in her state?
5. Why is Chien-erh burning money for Wan-erh?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)