|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Mrs. Chang, Chin, and Mei come to the Kao compound the day after the fighting starts?
(a) Because their house is too close to the fighting.
(b) Because Master Kao has invited them.
(c) Because the military has taken over their home.
(d) Because they feel safer with the men.
2. Who seems to be the calmest about the military fighting?
(c) Yeh yeh.
3. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
(a) Curse of the black night.
(b) Curse of the seven sisters.
(c) Curse of the undead.
(d) Curse of the blood-glow.
4. Why has Uncle Ke-ting been stealing from his wife?
(a) To try and leave her.
(b) To cover his drinking costs.
(c) To pay off gambling debt.
(d) To keep a concubine in the city.
5. In Chapter 23, who sees one of Cheuh-hui's articles?
(b) Mrs. Chang.
(c) Uncle Ke-ming.
(d) His grandfather.
6. How long will Jui-cheuh have to live outside the city?
(a) One year.
(b) A month.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two weeks.
7. What advice does Cheuh-hsin give to his youngest brother about his arranged marriage?
(a) To run away.
(b) To just accept it.
(c) To refuse.
(d) To be positive and he will eventually fall in love.
8. What happens during the birth of Jui-cheuh's second child?
(a) Jui-cheuh discovers she is having twins.
(b) The baby dies before it can be born.
(c) She must have a C-section.
(d) She dies during the birth.
9. Who seems to be the most distraught by the military fighting that is happening?
(d) Madam Chang.
10. Which family member stumbles upon Mei and Cheuh-hsin in the garden?
(c) Uncle Ke-ting.
(d) Madam Chang.
11. How does Cheuh-hui respond when he hears that Wan-erh is going to the Fengs as a concubine?
(b) Sorry for her.
12. How does Jui-cheuh feel when her husband and son leave her home in chapter 36?
(a) Sad but comforted that she will see them soon.
(b) Happy because she needs to rest.
(c) As though she will never see them again.
(d) Upset and frustrated with her husband.
13. How has Mei's disposition changed in Chapter 20 since the brothers have last seen her?
(a) She is much happier now.
(b) She is very angry now.
(c) It has not changed, she is still melancholy.
(d) She is enjoying her life now.
14. How does Master Kao respond to Cheuh-hsin's request to call off his youngest brother's arranged marriage?
(a) He is understanding.
(b) He is furious.
(c) He is silent and resigned.
(d) He is sad.
15. How does Cheuh-hui feel about himself in Chapter 26?
(a) He is confident in himself.
(b) He feels sorry for himself.
(c) He hates himself.
(d) He is proud of himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Cheuh-hui's new magazine in Chapter 27?
2. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
3. How does Jui-cheuh feel about being made to live outside the city in her state?
4. Upon hearing of the looting in the city, what orders does Cheuh-hsin give to his younger brothers?
5. Which of the following does not occur at Master Kao's birthday celebration?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)