|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do they not let Cheuh-hsin into the room when Jui-cheuh is giving birth?
(a) Because it is against tradition for men to be in the birthing room.
(b) Because it would make Venerable Master Kao susceptible to the curse.
(c) Because they fear that Cheuh-hsin may not be able to handle it.
(d) Because the room is not big enough.
2. Why has Uncle Ke-ting been stealing from his wife?
(a) To try and leave her.
(b) To cover his drinking costs.
(c) To keep a concubine in the city.
(d) To pay off gambling debt.
3. Upon hearing of the looting in the city, what orders does Cheuh-hsin give to his younger brothers?
(a) To fortify the compounds gates.
(b) To hide with the women in the lake house.
(c) To stand guard over the compound at night.
(d) To sneak out and purchase more food.
4. When does Cheuh-hui learn of Ming-feng's death?
(a) Late the day after it happens.
(b) The same day it occurs.
(c) The morning after it happens.
(d) Two days after it happens.
5. How does Jui-cheuh respond when she hears of Mei's death?
(a) She is silent and sad.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She cries and is upset.
(d) She does not really care.
6. What does Cheuh-min say he has been so wrapped up in that he has not had time to talk with Cheuh-hui about his feelings?
(a) Family obligations.
(b) School work.
(c) The ideas of the revolution.
(d) His love for Chin.
7. What advice does Cheuh-hsin give to his youngest brother about his arranged marriage?
(a) To refuse.
(b) To just accept it.
(c) To be positive and he will eventually fall in love.
(d) To run away.
8. What does Cheuh-hui hear when he arrives to the compound after school in Chapter 25?
9. When Ming-feng goes to Cheuh-hui for help, how does he respond?
(a) He sends her to be a servant for Mrs. Wang.
(b) He tells her he is busy and to come talk to him in two days.
(c) He tells her he will marry her instead.
(d) He convinces her to fun away.
10. What reason does Cheuh-hsin give for not wanting his wife to go to pay Mei her respect?
(a) She is pregnant and it would not be good.
(b) There will be too many people there.
(c) Mei would not want her there.
(d) The journey is too difficult.
11. Besides stealing, what else does Uncle Ke-ting confess to?
(a) Being addicted to drugs.
(b) Killing a man.
(c) Stealing from Master Kao.
(d) Having children out of wedlock.
12. What must be done to Master Kao's coffin to keep him safe from curses?
(a) It must be blessed by a temple priest.
(b) A layer of bricks and dirt must cover it.
(c) It must be set on fire.
(d) A gold medallion must be fastened to it.
13. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
(a) She is sad that her home was taken over.
(b) She hates war.
(c) She is upset that she is not as strong as she is trying to be.
(d) She is scared to be alone.
14. Who walks off with Mei after her confrontation with Chueh-hui in the garden?
(d) Yeh yeh.
15. What does Chin give to Cheuh-hui to take to Cheuh-min?
(a) A letter.
(b) A lock of hair.
(c) A fan.
(d) A photo of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jui-cheuh have to go live outside the city gates until her child is born?
2. How does Cheuh-min's running make Cheuh-hsin feel?
3. What is the name of the magazine that Cheuh-hui and some of his friends start to publish?
4. Why is Cheuh-hui sick of the aristocratic life?
5. Who does Cheuh-min stay with when he runs away to avoid his arranged marriage?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)