|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jui-cheuh have to go live outside the city gates until her child is born?
(a) Because of the fighting inside the city.
(b) Because she is in danger.
(c) Because the fears of the Kao women.
(d) Because it is tradition.
2. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
(a) Curse of the blood-glow.
(b) Curse of the seven sisters.
(c) Curse of the undead.
(d) Curse of the black night.
3. Who is the first person Cheuh-hui goes to see after he visits his ill grandfather?
(d) Madame Chou.
4. How long will Jui-cheuh have to live outside the city?
(a) A month.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One year.
(d) Two months.
5. In Chapter 23, who sees one of Cheuh-hui's articles?
(a) Mrs. Chang.
(b) His grandfather.
(d) Uncle Ke-ming.
6. What does everyone seem to be thinking about as they hear the fighting outside the Kao compound?
(a) They think about dying.
(b) They think about how to escape the city without notice.
(c) They think about the governor.
(d) They think about how much they love each other.
7. What does Master Kao tell Cheuh-min right before his death?
(a) That he has disgraced the family.
(b) That he is to have no inheritance.
(c) That he still must go through with the arranged marriage.
(d) That he does not have to marry the Feng girl.
8. What are the remaining people at the Kao compound fearful of as the fighting ceases?
(a) Their water rations.
(b) Their food rations.
9. What is the name of the magazine that Cheuh-hui and some of his friends start to publish?
10. Why do they not let Cheuh-hsin into the room when Jui-cheuh is giving birth?
(a) Because it would make Venerable Master Kao susceptible to the curse.
(b) Because the room is not big enough.
(c) Because they fear that Cheuh-hsin may not be able to handle it.
(d) Because it is against tradition for men to be in the birthing room.
11. Which phrase best describes Mei's funeral?
(a) A big production.
(b) Large and grand.
(c) Small but emotional.
(d) Small and pointless.
12. What is Ming-feng's ultimate reaction to being given as a concubine?
(a) She commits suicide.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She becomes a servant in someone else's household instead.
(d) She elopes with another man.
13. Why has Uncle Ke-ting been stealing from his wife?
(a) To keep a concubine in the city.
(b) To cover his drinking costs.
(c) To pay off gambling debt.
(d) To try and leave her.
14. Why do Mrs. Chang, Chin, and Mei come to the Kao compound the day after the fighting starts?
(a) Because they feel safer with the men.
(b) Because Master Kao has invited them.
(c) Because the military has taken over their home.
(d) Because their house is too close to the fighting.
15. Besides stealing, what else does Uncle Ke-ting confess to?
(a) Being addicted to drugs.
(b) Killing a man.
(c) Having children out of wedlock.
(d) Stealing from Master Kao.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cheuh-hui say to Mei's body as he leaves from paying his respect?
2. What does Cheuh-hsin tell Mei when he sees her in the garden?
3. What reason does Cheuh-hsin give for not wanting his wife to go to pay Mei her respect?
4. Who does Cheuh-min stay with when he runs away to avoid his arranged marriage?
5. Upon hearing of the looting in the city, what orders does Cheuh-hsin give to his younger brothers?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)