|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who seems to be the calmest about the military fighting?
(b) Yeh yeh.
2. What reason does Cheuh-hsin give for not wanting his wife to go to pay Mei her respect?
(a) The journey is too difficult.
(b) She is pregnant and it would not be good.
(c) There will be too many people there.
(d) Mei would not want her there.
3. What does everyone seem to be thinking about as they hear the fighting outside the Kao compound?
(a) They think about dying.
(b) They think about how much they love each other.
(c) They think about the governor.
(d) They think about how to escape the city without notice.
4. What is the state of the house Jui-cheuh must live in outside the city?
(a) Warm and comfortable.
(b) Grand and well stocked.
(c) Damp with a dirt floor.
(d) Small but cozy.
5. What is the subject of discussion for Chin and Shu-chen while they are taking a boat ride?
(d) The future.
6. What is the name of Cheuh-hui's new magazine in Chapter 27?
(a) Liberty for all.
(c) For the Masses.
(d) Down with the aristocracy.
7. Which family member stumbles upon Mei and Cheuh-hsin in the garden?
(b) Uncle Ke-ting.
(d) Madam Chang.
8. Who is the one person who knows where Cheuh-min is hiding?
(c) Cheuh-hsin's wife.
9. Upon hearing of the looting in the city, what orders does Cheuh-hsin give to his younger brothers?
(a) To hide with the women in the lake house.
(b) To stand guard over the compound at night.
(c) To sneak out and purchase more food.
(d) To fortify the compounds gates.
10. Which phrase best describes Mei's funeral?
(a) Large and grand.
(b) Small and pointless.
(c) Small but emotional.
(d) A big production.
11. What do the women think will happen to Master Kao's corpse if Jui-cheuh has her baby in their home?
(a) Jui-cheuh will be struck with illness.
(b) Her blood will attack his body.
(c) The child she bears will be cursed.
(d) The baby will be born a girl.
12. How does Jui-cheuh feel about being made to live outside the city in her state?
(a) She is hurt by it.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is angry and refuses.
(d) She thinks it an adventure.
13. In Chapter 23, who sees one of Cheuh-hui's articles?
(a) Uncle Ke-ming.
(b) Mrs. Chang.
(c) His grandfather.
14. Who tells Cheuh-hui of Ming-feng's death?
15. What is Ming-feng's ultimate reaction to being given as a concubine?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She becomes a servant in someone else's household instead.
(c) She commits suicide.
(d) She elopes with another man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jui-cheuh feel when her husband and son leave her home in chapter 36?
2. What punishment does Master Kao make Ke-ting do in front of everyone?
3. Why do Mrs. Chang, Chin, and Mei come to the Kao compound the day after the fighting starts?
4. What does Master Kao tell Cheuh-min right before his death?
5. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)