|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Master Kao respond to Cheuh-hsin's request to call off his youngest brother's arranged marriage?
(a) He is sad.
(b) He is silent and resigned.
(c) He is understanding.
(d) He is furious.
2. Why is it that Cheuh-hsin cannot go outside to visit his wife for a few days?
(a) Because he has to supervise the building of Kao's gravesite.
(b) Because he does not like having to travel outside the city.
(c) Because he is needed at the magazine office.
(d) Because the women think he may be in danger.
3. Who else is Chien-erh burning money for?
(b) Madame Chou.
(d) Yeh yeh.
4. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
(a) Curse of the black night.
(b) Curse of the blood-glow.
(c) Curse of the undead.
(d) Curse of the seven sisters.
5. What is the subject of discussion for Chin and Shu-chen while they are taking a boat ride?
(c) The future.
6. How is Cheuh-min's mindset in Chapter 31?
(a) Fearful and lonely.
(b) Lonely but cheerful.
(c) Patient and hopeful.
(d) Frustrated and annoyed.
7. What does everyone seem to be thinking about as they hear the fighting outside the Kao compound?
(a) They think about how much they love each other.
(b) They think about the governor.
(c) They think about dying.
(d) They think about how to escape the city without notice.
8. How does Jui-cheuh feel when her husband and son leave her home in chapter 36?
(a) Sad but comforted that she will see them soon.
(b) Happy because she needs to rest.
(c) Upset and frustrated with her husband.
(d) As though she will never see them again.
9. Who is the one person who knows where Cheuh-min is hiding?
(b) Cheuh-hsin's wife.
10. How long will Jui-cheuh have to live outside the city?
(a) One year.
(b) A month.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two weeks.
11. What punishment does Master Kao make Ke-ting do in front of everyone?
(a) Hit himself.
(b) Cut off his hair.
(c) Curse himself.
(d) Cut off his beard.
12. Who is Cheuh-min to be married to?
(a) Zheng's daughter.
(b) Fu's neice.
(c) Chou's grand-daughter.
(d) Feng's daughter.
13. How has Mei's disposition changed in Chapter 20 since the brothers have last seen her?
(a) She is very angry now.
(b) She is much happier now.
(c) She is enjoying her life now.
(d) It has not changed, she is still melancholy.
14. Upon hearing of the looting in the city, what orders does Cheuh-hsin give to his younger brothers?
(a) To fortify the compounds gates.
(b) To hide with the women in the lake house.
(c) To sneak out and purchase more food.
(d) To stand guard over the compound at night.
15. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
(a) To write Cheuh-hui a ticket.
(b) To arrest Hui-ju.
(c) To ask them to shut down the magazine.
(d) To pick up a copy of the publication.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person Cheuh-hui goes to see after he visits his ill grandfather?
2. How does Cheuh-min's running make Cheuh-hsin feel?
3. Who beings arguing over the property soon after Master Kao passes?
4. Why does Jui-cheuh have to go live outside the city gates until her child is born?
5. Who sees wounded soldiers being carried into the city?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)