|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children does Mrs. Wang have?
2. What must be done to Master Kao's coffin to keep him safe from curses?
(a) It must be set on fire.
(b) A gold medallion must be fastened to it.
(c) It must be blessed by a temple priest.
(d) A layer of bricks and dirt must cover it.
3. How does Cheuh-hui get the others to turn the boat around and head back home?
(a) By telling them that he does not feel well.
(b) By convincing them that a storm is coming.
(c) By telling them there are sweet dumplings at home.
(d) By acting grumpy until they turn around.
4. When Cheuh-hui hears that Jui-cheuh has been moved what does he tell his older brother?
(a) One girl has already died because of him.
(b) To be brave and it will all be well.
(c) That he is an idiot.
(d) It was a good idea.
5. Who walks off with Mei after her confrontation with Chueh-hui in the garden?
(d) Yeh yeh.
6. How does Cheuh-hui feel about himself in Chapter 26?
(a) He hates himself.
(b) He is proud of himself.
(c) He feels sorry for himself.
(d) He is confident in himself.
7. How does Cheuh-hui respond when he hears that Wan-erh is going to the Fengs as a concubine?
(d) Sorry for her.
8. How does Master Kao respond to Cheuh-hsin's request to call off his youngest brother's arranged marriage?
(a) He is furious.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is understanding.
(d) He is silent and resigned.
9. What advice does Cheuh-hsin give to his youngest brother about his arranged marriage?
(a) To just accept it.
(b) To be positive and he will eventually fall in love.
(c) To run away.
(d) To refuse.
10. How does Jui-cheuh feel when her husband and son leave her home in chapter 36?
(a) Happy because she needs to rest.
(b) As though she will never see them again.
(c) Sad but comforted that she will see them soon.
(d) Upset and frustrated with her husband.
11. What is the name of the literary character the Chin is trying to be like?
12. When does Cheuh-hui learn of Ming-feng's death?
(a) Two days after it happens.
(b) Late the day after it happens.
(c) The morning after it happens.
(d) The same day it occurs.
13. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
(a) Curse of the undead.
(b) Curse of the blood-glow.
(c) Curse of the black night.
(d) Curse of the seven sisters.
14. What does Cheuh-hui say to Mei's body as he leaves from paying his respect?
(a) Life has not been fair to you.
(b) You were too good a woman.
(c) My brother has always loved you.
(d) You didn't die; you've been murdered.
15. Which family member stumbles upon Mei and Cheuh-hsin in the garden?
(a) Madam Chang.
(d) Uncle Ke-ting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during the birth of Jui-cheuh's second child?
2. Who does Cheuh-min stay with when he runs away to avoid his arranged marriage?
3. When Ming-feng goes to Cheuh-hui for help, how does he respond?
4. Why do Mrs. Chang, Chin, and Mei come to the Kao compound the day after the fighting starts?
5. What does everyone seem to be thinking about as they hear the fighting outside the Kao compound?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)