|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What punishment does Master Kao make Ke-ting do in front of everyone?
(a) Cut off his hair.
(b) Curse himself.
(c) Cut off his beard.
(d) Hit himself.
2. What is one thing that the family does to try and cure Master Kao from his illness?
(a) Only let him drink tea and eat herbal concoctions.
(b) Put leeches on his feet.
(c) Hire someone to purge the compound of devils.
(d) Bleed him.
3. What is Ming-feng's ultimate reaction to being given as a concubine?
(a) She becomes a servant in someone else's household instead.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She commits suicide.
(d) She elopes with another man.
4. Why is Chien-erh burning money for Wan-erh?
(a) In order to curse Wan-erh.
(b) Because Wan-erh's life is worse than death.
(c) Because Wan-erh has died.
(d) In hopes that the gods will free Wan-erh.
5. Why do Mrs. Chang, Chin, and Mei come to the Kao compound the day after the fighting starts?
(a) Because they feel safer with the men.
(b) Because their house is too close to the fighting.
(c) Because Master Kao has invited them.
(d) Because the military has taken over their home.
6. Why does Jui-cheuh have to go live outside the city gates until her child is born?
(a) Because of the fighting inside the city.
(b) Because she is in danger.
(c) Because it is tradition.
(d) Because the fears of the Kao women.
7. Who walks off with Mei after her confrontation with Chueh-hui in the garden?
(a) Yeh yeh.
8. How does Jui-cheuh respond when she hears of Mei's death?
(a) She does not really care.
(b) She cries and is upset.
(c) She is silent and sad.
(d) She is happy.
9. Who seems to be the most distraught by the military fighting that is happening?
(d) Madam Chang.
10. Why is Cheuh-hui sick of the aristocratic life?
(a) He is tired of being better than others.
(b) He hates the restraints that it brings.
(c) He is tired of not being able to pursue the revolution.
(d) He hates being rich.
11. How does Jui-cheuh feel about being made to live outside the city in her state?
(a) She is hurt by it.
(b) She is angry and refuses.
(c) She thinks it an adventure.
(d) She is happy.
12. Who beings arguing over the property soon after Master Kao passes?
(a) The three brothers.
(b) The uncles.
(c) Madame Chou.
(d) Mrs. Chang.
13. How does Jui-cheuh feel when her husband and son leave her home in chapter 36?
(a) Upset and frustrated with her husband.
(b) Happy because she needs to rest.
(c) As though she will never see them again.
(d) Sad but comforted that she will see them soon.
14. When Cheuh-hui hears that Jui-cheuh has been moved what does he tell his older brother?
(a) To be brave and it will all be well.
(b) It was a good idea.
(c) That he is an idiot.
(d) One girl has already died because of him.
15. Which family member stumbles upon Mei and Cheuh-hsin in the garden?
(c) Uncle Ke-ting.
(d) Madam Chang.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chin give to Cheuh-hui to take to Cheuh-min?
2. What does Cheuh-hui say to Mei's body as he leaves from paying his respect?
3. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
4. How do Cheuh-hui and Cheuh-min feel about the many lewd entertainments at the birthday celebration?
5. How is Cheuh-min's mindset in Chapter 31?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)