|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Cheuh-min stay with when he runs away to avoid his arranged marriage?
(a) A friend from the magazine.
(b) A school friend.
(c) Mrs. Chang.
2. When Cheuh-hui hears that Jui-cheuh has been moved what does he tell his older brother?
(a) That he is an idiot.
(b) To be brave and it will all be well.
(c) It was a good idea.
(d) One girl has already died because of him.
3. What punishment does Master Kao make Ke-ting do in front of everyone?
(a) Hit himself.
(b) Curse himself.
(c) Cut off his beard.
(d) Cut off his hair.
4. What items has Ke-ting been stealing from his wife?
(c) Gold coins.
(d) Paper money.
5. What advice does Cheuh-hsin give to his youngest brother about his arranged marriage?
(a) To refuse.
(b) To just accept it.
(c) To run away.
(d) To be positive and he will eventually fall in love.
6. How is Cheuh-min's mindset in Chapter 31?
(a) Lonely but cheerful.
(b) Fearful and lonely.
(c) Frustrated and annoyed.
(d) Patient and hopeful.
7. Who has the governor ordered a campaign against in Chapter 19?
(a) Lieutenant Chou.
(b) The Red Army.
(c) The students.
(d) General Chang.
8. How old is the Venerable Master Kao going to be in Chapter 28?
9. Why is Chien-erh burning money for Wan-erh?
(a) Because Wan-erh's life is worse than death.
(b) In hopes that the gods will free Wan-erh.
(c) In order to curse Wan-erh.
(d) Because Wan-erh has died.
10. How does Master Kao respond to Cheuh-hsin's request to call off his youngest brother's arranged marriage?
(a) He is furious.
(b) He is understanding.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He is silent and resigned.
11. How do Cheuh-hui and Cheuh-min feel about the many lewd entertainments at the birthday celebration?
(a) They don't really care either way.
(b) They enjoy them.
(c) They are disgusted by them.
(d) They think they are funny.
12. Who sees wounded soldiers being carried into the city?
13. Who is Cheuh-min to be married to?
(a) Fu's neice.
(b) Zheng's daughter.
(c) Feng's daughter.
(d) Chou's grand-daughter.
14. What is one thing that the family does to try and cure Master Kao from his illness?
(a) Put leeches on his feet.
(b) Hire someone to purge the compound of devils.
(c) Bleed him.
(d) Only let him drink tea and eat herbal concoctions.
15. What is Ming-feng's ultimate reaction to being given as a concubine?
(a) She becomes a servant in someone else's household instead.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She elopes with another man.
(d) She commits suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does everyone seem to be thinking about as they hear the fighting outside the Kao compound?
2. Who tells Cheuh-hui of Ming-feng's death?
3. Who tells Ming-Feng that she is to become Master Feng's concubine?
4. How does Jui-cheuh feel about being made to live outside the city in her state?
5. Which family member stumbles upon Mei and Cheuh-hsin in the garden?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)