|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Ming-Feng that she is to become Master Feng's concubine?
(a) Master Kao.
(c) Madame Chou.
(d) Mrs. Chang.
2. Who beings arguing over the property soon after Master Kao passes?
(a) The uncles.
(b) Madame Chou.
(c) The three brothers.
(d) Mrs. Chang.
3. What is the name of the magazine that Cheuh-hui and some of his friends start to publish?
4. Who sees wounded soldiers being carried into the city?
5. What are the remaining people at the Kao compound fearful of as the fighting ceases?
(b) Their food rations.
(d) Their water rations.
6. What is the state of the house Jui-cheuh must live in outside the city?
(a) Grand and well stocked.
(b) Small but cozy.
(c) Warm and comfortable.
(d) Damp with a dirt floor.
7. When Cheuh-hui hears that Jui-cheuh has been moved what does he tell his older brother?
(a) It was a good idea.
(b) That he is an idiot.
(c) To be brave and it will all be well.
(d) One girl has already died because of him.
8. How long will Jui-cheuh have to live outside the city?
(a) A month.
(b) One year.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two months.
9. How does Jui-cheuh feel about being made to live outside the city in her state?
(a) She thinks it an adventure.
(b) She is angry and refuses.
(c) She is hurt by it.
(d) She is happy.
10. Who is Cheuh-min to be married to?
(a) Chou's grand-daughter.
(b) Fu's neice.
(c) Zheng's daughter.
(d) Feng's daughter.
11. Why is it that Cheuh-hsin cannot go outside to visit his wife for a few days?
(a) Because the women think he may be in danger.
(b) Because he does not like having to travel outside the city.
(c) Because he has to supervise the building of Kao's gravesite.
(d) Because he is needed at the magazine office.
12. When does Cheuh-hui learn of Ming-feng's death?
(a) Late the day after it happens.
(b) Two days after it happens.
(c) The same day it occurs.
(d) The morning after it happens.
13. What does Chin tell Cheuh-hui she is determined about?
(a) Being an independent woman.
(b) Marrying someone that she loves.
(c) Not ending up like Mei.
(d) Not being told what to do by anyone.
14. Upon hearing of the looting in the city, what orders does Cheuh-hsin give to his younger brothers?
(a) To stand guard over the compound at night.
(b) To hide with the women in the lake house.
(c) To sneak out and purchase more food.
(d) To fortify the compounds gates.
15. Why do Mrs. Chang, Chin, and Mei come to the Kao compound the day after the fighting starts?
(a) Because Master Kao has invited them.
(b) Because their house is too close to the fighting.
(c) Because they feel safer with the men.
(d) Because the military has taken over their home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jui-cheuh respond when she hears of Mei's death?
2. Why do they not let Cheuh-hsin into the room when Jui-cheuh is giving birth?
3. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
4. What does Cheuh-hui say to Mei's body as he leaves from paying his respect?
5. Where is Master Kao during all the fighting?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)