|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who beings arguing over the property soon after Master Kao passes?
(a) The three brothers.
(b) The uncles.
(c) Madame Chou.
(d) Mrs. Chang.
2. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
(a) She is scared to be alone.
(b) She is sad that her home was taken over.
(c) She hates war.
(d) She is upset that she is not as strong as she is trying to be.
3. Why do they not let Cheuh-hsin into the room when Jui-cheuh is giving birth?
(a) Because the room is not big enough.
(b) Because it is against tradition for men to be in the birthing room.
(c) Because they fear that Cheuh-hsin may not be able to handle it.
(d) Because it would make Venerable Master Kao susceptible to the curse.
4. What does Cheuh-hsin tell Mei when he sees her in the garden?
(a) He is glad she is so happy.
(b) He feels she is being cruel toward him.
(c) He wishes she never returned to the city.
(d) He needs her to stay with him forever.
5. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
(a) To pick up a copy of the publication.
(b) To ask them to shut down the magazine.
(c) To arrest Hui-ju.
(d) To write Cheuh-hui a ticket.
6. In Chapter 23, who sees one of Cheuh-hui's articles?
(a) Uncle Ke-ming.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) Mrs. Chang.
7. What do the women think will happen to Master Kao's corpse if Jui-cheuh has her baby in their home?
(a) Jui-cheuh will be struck with illness.
(b) The baby will be born a girl.
(c) The child she bears will be cursed.
(d) Her blood will attack his body.
8. When Cheuh-hui hears that Jui-cheuh has been moved what does he tell his older brother?
(a) One girl has already died because of him.
(b) That he is an idiot.
(c) To be brave and it will all be well.
(d) It was a good idea.
9. When Ming-feng goes to Cheuh-hui for help, how does he respond?
(a) He tells her he is busy and to come talk to him in two days.
(b) He convinces her to fun away.
(c) He sends her to be a servant for Mrs. Wang.
(d) He tells her he will marry her instead.
10. Who has the governor ordered a campaign against in Chapter 19?
(a) Lieutenant Chou.
(b) The students.
(c) The Red Army.
(d) General Chang.
11. What does Chin tell Cheuh-hui she is determined about?
(a) Not being told what to do by anyone.
(b) Being an independent woman.
(c) Marrying someone that she loves.
(d) Not ending up like Mei.
12. How does Jui-cheuh feel about being made to live outside the city in her state?
(a) She is hurt by it.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is angry and refuses.
(d) She thinks it an adventure.
13. What punishment does Master Kao make Ke-ting do in front of everyone?
(a) Curse himself.
(b) Hit himself.
(c) Cut off his beard.
(d) Cut off his hair.
14. How does Jui-cheuh respond when she hears of Mei's death?
(a) She cries and is upset.
(b) She does not really care.
(c) She is silent and sad.
(d) She is happy.
15. How has Mei's disposition changed in Chapter 20 since the brothers have last seen her?
(a) It has not changed, she is still melancholy.
(b) She is very angry now.
(c) She is enjoying her life now.
(d) She is much happier now.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cheuh-hui respond when he hears that Wan-erh is going to the Fengs as a concubine?
2. Who is Cheuh-min to be married to?
3. What is the name of the literary character the Chin is trying to be like?
4. Who seems to be the most distraught by the military fighting that is happening?
5. How does Master Kao respond to Cheuh-hsin's request to call off his youngest brother's arranged marriage?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)