|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first person Cheuh-hui goes to see after he visits his ill grandfather?
(c) Madame Chou.
2. How is Cheuh-min's mindset in Chapter 31?
(a) Frustrated and annoyed.
(b) Patient and hopeful.
(c) Fearful and lonely.
(d) Lonely but cheerful.
3. What punishment does Master Kao make Ke-ting do in front of everyone?
(a) Curse himself.
(b) Hit himself.
(c) Cut off his beard.
(d) Cut off his hair.
4. What is one thing that the family does to try and cure Master Kao from his illness?
(a) Bleed him.
(b) Put leeches on his feet.
(c) Only let him drink tea and eat herbal concoctions.
(d) Hire someone to purge the compound of devils.
5. Who does Cheuh-min stay with when he runs away to avoid his arranged marriage?
(b) A school friend.
(c) A friend from the magazine.
(d) Mrs. Chang.
6. What advice does Cheuh-hsin give to his youngest brother about his arranged marriage?
(a) To be positive and he will eventually fall in love.
(b) To run away.
(c) To just accept it.
(d) To refuse.
7. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
(a) She is scared to be alone.
(b) She hates war.
(c) She is upset that she is not as strong as she is trying to be.
(d) She is sad that her home was taken over.
8. Which phrase best describes Mei's funeral?
(a) Small and pointless.
(b) A big production.
(c) Small but emotional.
(d) Large and grand.
9. Who is the one person who knows where Cheuh-min is hiding?
(b) Cheuh-hsin's wife.
10. What is Ming-feng's ultimate reaction to being given as a concubine?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) She elopes with another man.
(d) She becomes a servant in someone else's household instead.
11. Upon hearing of the looting in the city, what orders does Cheuh-hsin give to his younger brothers?
(a) To stand guard over the compound at night.
(b) To fortify the compounds gates.
(c) To hide with the women in the lake house.
(d) To sneak out and purchase more food.
12. How does Jui-cheuh feel when her husband and son leave her home in chapter 36?
(a) As though she will never see them again.
(b) Upset and frustrated with her husband.
(c) Sad but comforted that she will see them soon.
(d) Happy because she needs to rest.
13. Why is Cheuh-hui sick of the aristocratic life?
(a) He hates being rich.
(b) He hates the restraints that it brings.
(c) He is tired of being better than others.
(d) He is tired of not being able to pursue the revolution.
14. How does Cheuh-hui get the others to turn the boat around and head back home?
(a) By convincing them that a storm is coming.
(b) By telling them there are sweet dumplings at home.
(c) By telling them that he does not feel well.
(d) By acting grumpy until they turn around.
15. Who tells Ming-Feng that she is to become Master Feng's concubine?
(b) Madame Chou.
(c) Master Kao.
(d) Mrs. Chang.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the Venerable Master Kao going to be in Chapter 28?
2. Why does Jui-cheuh have to go live outside the city gates until her child is born?
3. Who seems to be the calmest about the military fighting?
4. What does Master Kao tell Cheuh-min right before his death?
5. Which family member stumbles upon Mei and Cheuh-hsin in the garden?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)