|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does everyone seem to be thinking about as they hear the fighting outside the Kao compound?
(a) They think about how to escape the city without notice.
(b) They think about how much they love each other.
(c) They think about dying.
(d) They think about the governor.
2. How does Jui-cheuh respond when she hears of Mei's death?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She is silent and sad.
(c) She cries and is upset.
(d) She does not really care.
3. How is Cheuh-min's mindset in Chapter 31?
(a) Fearful and lonely.
(b) Lonely but cheerful.
(c) Patient and hopeful.
(d) Frustrated and annoyed.
4. When does Cheuh-hui learn of Ming-feng's death?
(a) Two days after it happens.
(b) Late the day after it happens.
(c) The same day it occurs.
(d) The morning after it happens.
5. What punishment does Master Kao make Ke-ting do in front of everyone?
(a) Cut off his hair.
(b) Curse himself.
(c) Hit himself.
(d) Cut off his beard.
6. What is Ming-feng's ultimate reaction to being given as a concubine?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She becomes a servant in someone else's household instead.
(c) She commits suicide.
(d) She elopes with another man.
7. Why is Cheuh-hui sick of the aristocratic life?
(a) He is tired of being better than others.
(b) He hates being rich.
(c) He hates the restraints that it brings.
(d) He is tired of not being able to pursue the revolution.
8. Which phrase best describes Mei's funeral?
(a) Large and grand.
(b) A big production.
(c) Small but emotional.
(d) Small and pointless.
9. Who walks off with Mei after her confrontation with Chueh-hui in the garden?
(c) Yeh yeh.
10. In Chapter 23, who sees one of Cheuh-hui's articles?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) Mrs. Chang.
(d) Uncle Ke-ming.
11. What does Cheuh-hsin tell Mei when he sees her in the garden?
(a) He is glad she is so happy.
(b) He feels she is being cruel toward him.
(c) He wishes she never returned to the city.
(d) He needs her to stay with him forever.
12. What word does Cheuh-hui use to describe his older brother in Chapter 26?
13. How does Cheuh-min's running make Cheuh-hsin feel?
14. What does Chin tell Cheuh-hui she is determined about?
(a) Marrying someone that she loves.
(b) Not ending up like Mei.
(c) Not being told what to do by anyone.
(d) Being an independent woman.
15. Why do Mrs. Chang, Chin, and Mei come to the Kao compound the day after the fighting starts?
(a) Because the military has taken over their home.
(b) Because they feel safer with the men.
(c) Because their house is too close to the fighting.
(d) Because Master Kao has invited them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sees wounded soldiers being carried into the city?
2. What is the name of the magazine that Cheuh-hui and some of his friends start to publish?
3. How does Cheuh-hui feel about himself in Chapter 26?
4. How does Cheuh-hui get the others to turn the boat around and head back home?
5. How do Cheuh-hui and Cheuh-min feel about the many lewd entertainments at the birthday celebration?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)