|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Master Kao during all the fighting?
(a) Fighting for the general.
(b) At the Kao compound.
(c) At Mrs. Chang's.
(d) Visiting relatives.
2. Why is Cheuh-hui sick of the aristocratic life?
(a) He hates the restraints that it brings.
(b) He is tired of being better than others.
(c) He hates being rich.
(d) He is tired of not being able to pursue the revolution.
3. Which family member stumbles upon Mei and Cheuh-hsin in the garden?
(b) Uncle Ke-ting.
(d) Madam Chang.
4. Why does Jui-cheuh have to go live outside the city gates until her child is born?
(a) Because she is in danger.
(b) Because of the fighting inside the city.
(c) Because the fears of the Kao women.
(d) Because it is tradition.
5. How does Master Kao respond to Cheuh-hsin's request to call off his youngest brother's arranged marriage?
(a) He is silent and resigned.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is understanding.
(d) He is furious.
6. What must be done to Master Kao's coffin to keep him safe from curses?
(a) It must be set on fire.
(b) It must be blessed by a temple priest.
(c) A layer of bricks and dirt must cover it.
(d) A gold medallion must be fastened to it.
7. What does everyone seem to be thinking about as they hear the fighting outside the Kao compound?
(a) They think about how much they love each other.
(b) They think about how to escape the city without notice.
(c) They think about dying.
(d) They think about the governor.
8. Who sees wounded soldiers being carried into the city?
9. What does Cheuh-hsin tell Mei when he sees her in the garden?
(a) He feels she is being cruel toward him.
(b) He is glad she is so happy.
(c) He needs her to stay with him forever.
(d) He wishes she never returned to the city.
10. What does Cheuh-hui hear when he arrives to the compound after school in Chapter 25?
11. Who has the governor ordered a campaign against in Chapter 19?
(a) The Red Army.
(b) Lieutenant Chou.
(c) General Chang.
(d) The students.
12. What do the women think will happen to Master Kao's corpse if Jui-cheuh has her baby in their home?
(a) Her blood will attack his body.
(b) Jui-cheuh will be struck with illness.
(c) The baby will be born a girl.
(d) The child she bears will be cursed.
13. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
(a) Curse of the blood-glow.
(b) Curse of the undead.
(c) Curse of the seven sisters.
(d) Curse of the black night.
14. In Chapter 23, who sees one of Cheuh-hui's articles?
(a) His grandfather.
(c) Uncle Ke-ming.
(d) Mrs. Chang.
15. Who does Cheuh-min stay with when he runs away to avoid his arranged marriage?
(a) Mrs. Chang.
(b) A school friend.
(d) A friend from the magazine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chin give to Cheuh-hui to take to Cheuh-min?
2. What does Cheuh-hui say to Mei's body as he leaves from paying his respect?
3. What is the name of the magazine that Cheuh-hui and some of his friends start to publish?
4. How does Jui-cheuh feel about being made to live outside the city in her state?
5. What word does Cheuh-hui use to describe his older brother in Chapter 26?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)