|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cheuh-hui say to Mei's body as he leaves from paying his respect?
(a) You were too good a woman.
(b) You didn't die; you've been murdered.
(c) Life has not been fair to you.
(d) My brother has always loved you.
2. What does Chin give to Cheuh-hui to take to Cheuh-min?
(a) A fan.
(b) A photo of her.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) A letter.
3. Who else is Chien-erh burning money for?
(a) Madame Chou.
(d) Yeh yeh.
4. What do the women think will happen to Master Kao's corpse if Jui-cheuh has her baby in their home?
(a) The baby will be born a girl.
(b) Her blood will attack his body.
(c) Jui-cheuh will be struck with illness.
(d) The child she bears will be cursed.
5. Besides stealing, what else does Uncle Ke-ting confess to?
(a) Being addicted to drugs.
(b) Stealing from Master Kao.
(c) Killing a man.
(d) Having children out of wedlock.
6. Why is Cheuh-hui sick of the aristocratic life?
(a) He is tired of not being able to pursue the revolution.
(b) He hates the restraints that it brings.
(c) He is tired of being better than others.
(d) He hates being rich.
7. Who beings arguing over the property soon after Master Kao passes?
(a) The uncles.
(b) The three brothers.
(c) Mrs. Chang.
(d) Madame Chou.
8. What is one thing that the family does to try and cure Master Kao from his illness?
(a) Bleed him.
(b) Put leeches on his feet.
(c) Hire someone to purge the compound of devils.
(d) Only let him drink tea and eat herbal concoctions.
9. In Chapter 23, who sees one of Cheuh-hui's articles?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) Mrs. Chang.
(d) Uncle Ke-ming.
10. What is Ming-feng's ultimate reaction to being given as a concubine?
(a) She commits suicide.
(b) She elopes with another man.
(c) She becomes a servant in someone else's household instead.
(d) She runs away.
11. What punishment does Master Kao make Ke-ting do in front of everyone?
(a) Hit himself.
(b) Curse himself.
(c) Cut off his hair.
(d) Cut off his beard.
12. What word does Cheuh-hui use to describe his older brother in Chapter 26?
13. Which family member stumbles upon Mei and Cheuh-hsin in the garden?
(a) Uncle Ke-ting.
(d) Madam Chang.
14. Who seems to be the calmest about the military fighting?
(c) Yeh yeh.
15. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
(a) Get an education.
(b) Refuse to fall in love.
(c) Raise up in arms against the governor.
(d) Stop honoring the gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cheuh-hui feel about himself in Chapter 26?
2. Who does Cheuh-min stay with when he runs away to avoid his arranged marriage?
3. How does Cheuh-hui respond when he hears that Wan-erh is going to the Fengs as a concubine?
4. How does Jui-cheuh feel about being made to live outside the city in her state?
5. What must be done to Master Kao's coffin to keep him safe from curses?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)