|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must be done to Master Kao's coffin to keep him safe from curses?
(a) It must be set on fire.
(b) It must be blessed by a temple priest.
(c) A layer of bricks and dirt must cover it.
(d) A gold medallion must be fastened to it.
2. Who does Cheuh-min stay with when he runs away to avoid his arranged marriage?
(a) A school friend.
(b) A friend from the magazine.
(d) Mrs. Chang.
3. What does Master Kao tell Cheuh-min right before his death?
(a) That he still must go through with the arranged marriage.
(b) That he is to have no inheritance.
(c) That he has disgraced the family.
(d) That he does not have to marry the Feng girl.
4. Who has the governor ordered a campaign against in Chapter 19?
(a) The students.
(b) Lieutenant Chou.
(c) General Chang.
(d) The Red Army.
5. How many children does Mrs. Wang have?
6. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
(a) To write Cheuh-hui a ticket.
(b) To arrest Hui-ju.
(c) To ask them to shut down the magazine.
(d) To pick up a copy of the publication.
7. How does Cheuh-hui respond when he hears that Wan-erh is going to the Fengs as a concubine?
(d) Sorry for her.
8. How does Master Kao respond to Cheuh-hsin's request to call off his youngest brother's arranged marriage?
(a) He is sad.
(b) He is silent and resigned.
(c) He is furious.
(d) He is understanding.
9. Where is Master Kao during all the fighting?
(a) Fighting for the general.
(b) Visiting relatives.
(c) At Mrs. Chang's.
(d) At the Kao compound.
10. What word does Cheuh-hui use to describe his older brother in Chapter 26?
11. Which of the following does not occur at Master Kao's birthday celebration?
(c) Silent retreats.
12. Besides stealing, what else does Uncle Ke-ting confess to?
(a) Stealing from Master Kao.
(b) Having children out of wedlock.
(c) Being addicted to drugs.
(d) Killing a man.
13. How has Mei's disposition changed in Chapter 20 since the brothers have last seen her?
(a) It has not changed, she is still melancholy.
(b) She is enjoying her life now.
(c) She is much happier now.
(d) She is very angry now.
14. How does Cheuh-min's running make Cheuh-hsin feel?
15. How do Cheuh-hui and Cheuh-min feel about the many lewd entertainments at the birthday celebration?
(a) They don't really care either way.
(b) They think they are funny.
(c) They enjoy them.
(d) They are disgusted by them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else is Chien-erh burning money for?
2. How does Jui-cheuh feel when her husband and son leave her home in chapter 36?
3. How does Cheuh-hui get the others to turn the boat around and head back home?
4. How old is the Venerable Master Kao going to be in Chapter 28?
5. What do the women think will happen to Master Kao's corpse if Jui-cheuh has her baby in their home?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)