|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Cheuh-hui hears that Jui-cheuh has been moved what does he tell his older brother?
(a) One girl has already died because of him.
(b) That he is an idiot.
(c) To be brave and it will all be well.
(d) It was a good idea.
2. How is Cheuh-min's mindset in Chapter 31?
(a) Patient and hopeful.
(b) Lonely but cheerful.
(c) Fearful and lonely.
(d) Frustrated and annoyed.
3. What is the subject of discussion for Chin and Shu-chen while they are taking a boat ride?
(c) The future.
4. Who does Cheuh-min stay with when he runs away to avoid his arranged marriage?
(a) A school friend.
(b) Mrs. Chang.
(d) A friend from the magazine.
5. Where is Master Kao during all the fighting?
(a) Visiting relatives.
(b) Fighting for the general.
(c) At Mrs. Chang's.
(d) At the Kao compound.
6. What does Cheuh-min say he has been so wrapped up in that he has not had time to talk with Cheuh-hui about his feelings?
(a) The ideas of the revolution.
(b) His love for Chin.
(c) Family obligations.
(d) School work.
7. Who sees wounded soldiers being carried into the city?
8. Who seems to be the calmest about the military fighting?
(d) Yeh yeh.
9. How does Master Kao respond to Cheuh-hsin's request to call off his youngest brother's arranged marriage?
(a) He is furious.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is silent and resigned.
(d) He is understanding.
10. Which phrase best describes Mei's funeral?
(a) Large and grand.
(b) Small and pointless.
(c) A big production.
(d) Small but emotional.
11. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
(a) Refuse to fall in love.
(b) Get an education.
(c) Raise up in arms against the governor.
(d) Stop honoring the gods.
12. Who else is Chien-erh burning money for?
(a) Madame Chou.
(c) Yeh yeh.
13. Which of the following does not occur at Master Kao's birthday celebration?
(a) Silent retreats.
14. How do Cheuh-hui and Cheuh-min feel about the many lewd entertainments at the birthday celebration?
(a) They enjoy them.
(b) They are disgusted by them.
(c) They don't really care either way.
(d) They think they are funny.
15. What is Ming-feng's ultimate reaction to being given as a concubine?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She elopes with another man.
(c) She commits suicide.
(d) She becomes a servant in someone else's household instead.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jui-cheuh feel about being made to live outside the city in her state?
2. Who beings arguing over the property soon after Master Kao passes?
3. How does Jui-cheuh feel when her husband and son leave her home in chapter 36?
4. What items has Ke-ting been stealing from his wife?
5. Who has the governor ordered a campaign against in Chapter 19?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)