|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Cheuh-hui respond when he hears that Wan-erh is going to the Fengs as a concubine?
(c) Sorry for her.
2. What does Cheuh-min say he has been so wrapped up in that he has not had time to talk with Cheuh-hui about his feelings?
(a) His love for Chin.
(b) School work.
(c) The ideas of the revolution.
(d) Family obligations.
3. When Ming-feng goes to Cheuh-hui for help, how does he respond?
(a) He convinces her to fun away.
(b) He tells her he will marry her instead.
(c) He tells her he is busy and to come talk to him in two days.
(d) He sends her to be a servant for Mrs. Wang.
4. Who has the governor ordered a campaign against in Chapter 19?
(a) General Chang.
(b) The Red Army.
(c) Lieutenant Chou.
(d) The students.
5. What is the name of Cheuh-hui's new magazine in Chapter 27?
(b) Liberty for all.
(c) Down with the aristocracy.
(d) For the Masses.
6. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
(a) Get an education.
(b) Raise up in arms against the governor.
(c) Stop honoring the gods.
(d) Refuse to fall in love.
7. Who beings arguing over the property soon after Master Kao passes?
(a) The three brothers.
(b) The uncles.
(c) Mrs. Chang.
(d) Madame Chou.
8. What does Master Kao tell Cheuh-min right before his death?
(a) That he does not have to marry the Feng girl.
(b) That he still must go through with the arranged marriage.
(c) That he is to have no inheritance.
(d) That he has disgraced the family.
9. What punishment does Master Kao make Ke-ting do in front of everyone?
(a) Curse himself.
(b) Cut off his hair.
(c) Cut off his beard.
(d) Hit himself.
10. What does everyone seem to be thinking about as they hear the fighting outside the Kao compound?
(a) They think about the governor.
(b) They think about dying.
(c) They think about how much they love each other.
(d) They think about how to escape the city without notice.
11. How does Master Kao respond to Cheuh-hsin's request to call off his youngest brother's arranged marriage?
(a) He is understanding.
(b) He is furious.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He is silent and resigned.
12. What does Cheuh-hui hear when he arrives to the compound after school in Chapter 25?
13. What does Chin give to Cheuh-hui to take to Cheuh-min?
(a) A letter.
(b) A photo of her.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) A fan.
14. What items has Ke-ting been stealing from his wife?
(a) Paper money.
(d) Gold coins.
15. What is one thing that the family does to try and cure Master Kao from his illness?
(a) Put leeches on his feet.
(b) Bleed him.
(c) Hire someone to purge the compound of devils.
(d) Only let him drink tea and eat herbal concoctions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which phrase best describes Mei's funeral?
2. What are the remaining people at the Kao compound fearful of as the fighting ceases?
3. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
4. Who seems to be the calmest about the military fighting?
5. Which family member stumbles upon Mei and Cheuh-hsin in the garden?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)