|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
(a) Raise up in arms against the governor.
(b) Stop honoring the gods.
(c) Refuse to fall in love.
(d) Get an education.
2. How do Cheuh-hui and Cheuh-min feel about the many lewd entertainments at the birthday celebration?
(a) They think they are funny.
(b) They are disgusted by them.
(c) They enjoy them.
(d) They don't really care either way.
3. Which phrase best describes Mei's funeral?
(a) A big production.
(b) Small and pointless.
(c) Small but emotional.
(d) Large and grand.
4. What is Ming-feng's ultimate reaction to being given as a concubine?
(a) She becomes a servant in someone else's household instead.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She elopes with another man.
(d) She commits suicide.
5. What does Chin give to Cheuh-hui to take to Cheuh-min?
(a) A photo of her.
(b) A lock of hair.
(c) A letter.
(d) A fan.
6. In Chapter 23, who sees one of Cheuh-hui's articles?
(a) Mrs. Chang.
(b) Uncle Ke-ming.
(d) His grandfather.
7. Who seems to be the calmest about the military fighting?
(c) Yeh yeh.
8. Who walks off with Mei after her confrontation with Chueh-hui in the garden?
(c) Yeh yeh.
9. How does Jui-cheuh feel about being made to live outside the city in her state?
(a) She is hurt by it.
(b) She is angry and refuses.
(c) She thinks it an adventure.
(d) She is happy.
10. When Ming-feng goes to Cheuh-hui for help, how does he respond?
(a) He tells her he will marry her instead.
(b) He tells her he is busy and to come talk to him in two days.
(c) He sends her to be a servant for Mrs. Wang.
(d) He convinces her to fun away.
11. What happens during the birth of Jui-cheuh's second child?
(a) Jui-cheuh discovers she is having twins.
(b) She must have a C-section.
(c) The baby dies before it can be born.
(d) She dies during the birth.
12. How has Mei's disposition changed in Chapter 20 since the brothers have last seen her?
(a) She is very angry now.
(b) It has not changed, she is still melancholy.
(c) She is much happier now.
(d) She is enjoying her life now.
13. Which of the following does not occur at Master Kao's birthday celebration?
(c) Silent retreats.
14. What does Cheuh-min say he has been so wrapped up in that he has not had time to talk with Cheuh-hui about his feelings?
(a) Family obligations.
(b) School work.
(c) His love for Chin.
(d) The ideas of the revolution.
15. How is Cheuh-min's mindset in Chapter 31?
(a) Lonely but cheerful.
(b) Frustrated and annoyed.
(c) Fearful and lonely.
(d) Patient and hopeful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cheuh-hui hear when he arrives to the compound after school in Chapter 25?
2. How does Cheuh-hui feel about himself in Chapter 26?
3. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
4. What does Master Kao tell Cheuh-min right before his death?
5. How long will Jui-cheuh have to live outside the city?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)