|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do they not let Cheuh-hsin into the room when Jui-cheuh is giving birth?
(a) Because the room is not big enough.
(b) Because they fear that Cheuh-hsin may not be able to handle it.
(c) Because it would make Venerable Master Kao susceptible to the curse.
(d) Because it is against tradition for men to be in the birthing room.
2. Where is Master Kao during all the fighting?
(a) At Mrs. Chang's.
(b) Fighting for the general.
(c) Visiting relatives.
(d) At the Kao compound.
3. Which of the following does not occur at Master Kao's birthday celebration?
(b) Silent retreats.
4. What is the subject of discussion for Chin and Shu-chen while they are taking a boat ride?
(c) The future.
5. What reason does Cheuh-hsin give for not wanting his wife to go to pay Mei her respect?
(a) There will be too many people there.
(b) She is pregnant and it would not be good.
(c) Mei would not want her there.
(d) The journey is too difficult.
6. Who else is Chien-erh burning money for?
(a) Madame Chou.
(d) Yeh yeh.
7. What punishment does Master Kao make Ke-ting do in front of everyone?
(a) Cut off his hair.
(b) Cut off his beard.
(c) Curse himself.
(d) Hit himself.
8. What must be done to Master Kao's coffin to keep him safe from curses?
(a) It must be blessed by a temple priest.
(b) A layer of bricks and dirt must cover it.
(c) A gold medallion must be fastened to it.
(d) It must be set on fire.
9. What does Chin give to Cheuh-hui to take to Cheuh-min?
(a) A photo of her.
(b) A lock of hair.
(c) A fan.
(d) A letter.
10. What is the name of Cheuh-hui's new magazine in Chapter 27?
(a) Liberty for all.
(b) For the Masses.
(c) Down with the aristocracy.
11. How is Cheuh-min's mindset in Chapter 31?
(a) Fearful and lonely.
(b) Frustrated and annoyed.
(c) Lonely but cheerful.
(d) Patient and hopeful.
12. What does Chin tell Cheuh-hui she is determined about?
(a) Not being told what to do by anyone.
(b) Marrying someone that she loves.
(c) Being an independent woman.
(d) Not ending up like Mei.
13. Who is Cheuh-min to be married to?
(a) Feng's daughter.
(b) Chou's grand-daughter.
(c) Fu's neice.
(d) Zheng's daughter.
14. How long will Jui-cheuh have to live outside the city?
(a) One year.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A month.
(d) Two months.
15. What does Cheuh-min say he has been so wrapped up in that he has not had time to talk with Cheuh-hui about his feelings?
(a) Family obligations.
(b) The ideas of the revolution.
(c) School work.
(d) His love for Chin.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Cheuh-hui hears that Jui-cheuh has been moved what does he tell his older brother?
2. Who walks off with Mei after her confrontation with Chueh-hui in the garden?
3. Who seems to be the most distraught by the military fighting that is happening?
4. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
5. Who beings arguing over the property soon after Master Kao passes?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)