|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Chien-erh burning money for Wan-erh?
(a) Because Wan-erh's life is worse than death.
(b) In order to curse Wan-erh.
(c) In hopes that the gods will free Wan-erh.
(d) Because Wan-erh has died.
2. Who sees wounded soldiers being carried into the city?
3. Which phrase best describes Mei's funeral?
(a) Small and pointless.
(b) A big production.
(c) Small but emotional.
(d) Large and grand.
4. What word does Cheuh-hui use to describe his older brother in Chapter 26?
5. What is the name of the magazine that Cheuh-hui and some of his friends start to publish?
6. Why is Cheuh-hui sick of the aristocratic life?
(a) He hates being rich.
(b) He hates the restraints that it brings.
(c) He is tired of being better than others.
(d) He is tired of not being able to pursue the revolution.
7. How does Cheuh-min's running make Cheuh-hsin feel?
8. When Ming-feng goes to Cheuh-hui for help, how does he respond?
(a) He convinces her to fun away.
(b) He tells her he will marry her instead.
(c) He tells her he is busy and to come talk to him in two days.
(d) He sends her to be a servant for Mrs. Wang.
9. How does Cheuh-hui respond when he hears that Wan-erh is going to the Fengs as a concubine?
(d) Sorry for her.
10. Who tells Ming-Feng that she is to become Master Feng's concubine?
(a) Madame Chou.
(b) Master Kao.
(c) Mrs. Chang.
11. What does everyone seem to be thinking about as they hear the fighting outside the Kao compound?
(a) They think about how to escape the city without notice.
(b) They think about dying.
(c) They think about how much they love each other.
(d) They think about the governor.
12. How does Cheuh-hui get the others to turn the boat around and head back home?
(a) By acting grumpy until they turn around.
(b) By telling them there are sweet dumplings at home.
(c) By telling them that he does not feel well.
(d) By convincing them that a storm is coming.
13. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
(a) To pick up a copy of the publication.
(b) To write Cheuh-hui a ticket.
(c) To ask them to shut down the magazine.
(d) To arrest Hui-ju.
14. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
(a) Raise up in arms against the governor.
(b) Get an education.
(c) Refuse to fall in love.
(d) Stop honoring the gods.
15. Why is Chin so upset in Chapter 22?
(a) She is upset that she is not as strong as she is trying to be.
(b) She is sad that her home was taken over.
(c) She is scared to be alone.
(d) She hates war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing that the family does to try and cure Master Kao from his illness?
2. Who does Cheuh-min stay with when he runs away to avoid his arranged marriage?
3. What reason does Cheuh-hsin give for not wanting his wife to go to pay Mei her respect?
4. What does Cheuh-hui say to Mei's body as he leaves from paying his respect?
5. When does Cheuh-hui learn of Ming-feng's death?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)