|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long will Jui-cheuh have to live outside the city?
(a) Two months.
(b) A month.
(c) One year.
(d) Two weeks.
2. Why do Mrs. Chang, Chin, and Mei come to the Kao compound the day after the fighting starts?
(a) Because they feel safer with the men.
(b) Because Master Kao has invited them.
(c) Because the military has taken over their home.
(d) Because their house is too close to the fighting.
3. In Chapter 23, who sees one of Cheuh-hui's articles?
(b) Mrs. Chang.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) Uncle Ke-ming.
4. Why do two policemen come to Cheuh-hui's magazine office?
(a) To pick up a copy of the publication.
(b) To ask them to shut down the magazine.
(c) To arrest Hui-ju.
(d) To write Cheuh-hui a ticket.
5. How does Cheuh-hui feel about himself in Chapter 26?
(a) He feels sorry for himself.
(b) He hates himself.
(c) He is proud of himself.
(d) He is confident in himself.
6. What is the name of the magazine that Cheuh-hui and some of his friends start to publish?
7. Why does Jui-cheuh have to go live outside the city gates until her child is born?
(a) Because of the fighting inside the city.
(b) Because the fears of the Kao women.
(c) Because it is tradition.
(d) Because she is in danger.
8. What is the name of Cheuh-hui's new magazine in Chapter 27?
(a) Liberty for all.
(b) Down with the aristocracy.
(c) For the Masses.
9. What advice does Cheuh-hsin give to his youngest brother about his arranged marriage?
(a) To be positive and he will eventually fall in love.
(b) To just accept it.
(c) To run away.
(d) To refuse.
10. What curse are the Kao women afraid of?
(a) Curse of the blood-glow.
(b) Curse of the black night.
(c) Curse of the seven sisters.
(d) Curse of the undead.
11. What is the state of the house Jui-cheuh must live in outside the city?
(a) Damp with a dirt floor.
(b) Grand and well stocked.
(c) Small but cozy.
(d) Warm and comfortable.
12. What does a writer from Peking try to convince Chinese youths to do?
(a) Stop honoring the gods.
(b) Raise up in arms against the governor.
(c) Refuse to fall in love.
(d) Get an education.
13. What happens during the birth of Jui-cheuh's second child?
(a) She must have a C-section.
(b) Jui-cheuh discovers she is having twins.
(c) She dies during the birth.
(d) The baby dies before it can be born.
14. Upon hearing of the looting in the city, what orders does Cheuh-hsin give to his younger brothers?
(a) To hide with the women in the lake house.
(b) To fortify the compounds gates.
(c) To sneak out and purchase more food.
(d) To stand guard over the compound at night.
15. What is one thing that the family does to try and cure Master Kao from his illness?
(a) Hire someone to purge the compound of devils.
(b) Bleed him.
(c) Put leeches on his feet.
(d) Only let him drink tea and eat herbal concoctions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cheuh-hsin tell Mei when he sees her in the garden?
2. What does Cheuh-hui hear when he arrives to the compound after school in Chapter 25?
3. What is the name of the literary character the Chin is trying to be like?
4. How does Cheuh-hui respond when he hears that Wan-erh is going to the Fengs as a concubine?
5. When Ming-feng goes to Cheuh-hui for help, how does he respond?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)