|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ming-Feng respond when Chueh-hui says he wants to protect her?
(a) She says she thinks about him a lot.
(b) She tells him to stay away from her.
(c) She says that they cannot love each other.
(d) She says that she needs to leave.
2. Who does Chueh-hui overhear speaking with a maid in Chapter 10?
(a) Master Kao.
(d) Madame Chou.
3. How does most of the Kao family treat servants and those of a lower class?
(a) They do not associate with such people.
(b) With respect.
(d) Without respect.
4. What is Ming-Feng gathering for Madame Chou and Mrs. Chang?
(c) Silk worms.
(d) Plum blossoms.
5. What word does not describe the Cheuh family?
6. Why are the boys hurrying home to dinner at the beginning of the book?
(a) Because it is a holiday.
(b) Because they are late.
(c) Because they are hungry.
(d) Because they have guests visitig.
7. Which of the following is one thing that the brothers have in common?
(a) They are tall.
(b) All are passionate about their education.
(c) Unrequited love.
(d) They all dislike their grandfather.
8. Who sent Ming-Feng off to be a servant?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her mother.
9. Who seems to become nervous and quiet around Chin?
10. Why does Ming-Feng get in trouble with the women?
(a) Because she is daydreaming instead of listening to them.
(b) Because she is not smiling as she should.
(c) Because she has spilt tea on an honored guest.
(d) Because she has been detained by Chueh-hui.
11. What fear does Ming-Feng have?
(a) She will not have servants of her own someday.
(b) She will never have a home of her own.
(c) That she will die young.
(d) That she will not have children.
12. What do we learn about Chin's father in Chapter 5?
(a) That he abandoned his family when Chin was very young.
(b) That he is dead.
(c) That he is off at war.
(d) That he is very ill.
13. At the beginning of the book, why does Cheuh-hui stay to talk to the servant girl?
(a) He wants her to tell his parents he is ill.
(b) He thinks that she is beautiful.
(c) He needs her to go get something for him.
(d) He wants her to do his homework.
14. In Chapter 16, what does Cheuh-hui do that makes Ming-feng feel safe?
(a) He writes her a love poem.
(b) He sings her a song.
(c) He holds her hand.
(d) He stands outside her room.
15. What was it that kept Chueh-hsin and Mei from marrying?
(b) A fight between their mothers.
(c) A lack of tradition in Mei's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cheuh-hui realize about how the talk of change and the new order affects Cheuh-hsin?
2. Which of the brothers seems most involved in the ideas of the revolution?
3. What is the second line to this proverb: "benevolent rulers, happy family..."?
4. What comfort does Chueh-hsin find in his wife?
5. Who puts on the dragon show for the family?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)