|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sent Ming-Feng off to be a servant?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her aunt.
2. Why do the two brothers head over to Chin's house after they pay their respects to the gods?
(a) To light fireworks.
(b) To see Mei.
(c) To pay their New Year's respects to Chin.
(d) To get away from their parents.
3. Who does Chueh-hui overhear speaking with a maid in Chapter 10?
(a) Master Kao.
(c) Madame Chou.
4. What is one way the students launch their campaign?
(a) Printing and distributing leaflets.
(b) Bombing public sites.
(d) Participating in sit-ins.
5. What is Jui-cheuh trying to do by inviting Chueh-hui to play chess with her?
(a) Tell him a secret.
(b) Teach him how to be a better chess player.
(c) Cheer him up.
(d) Ask him about Ming-Feng.
6. What is Wan-erh afraid of?
(a) Becoming a concubine.
(b) That Madame Chou does not like her.
(c) Becoming a begger on the streets.
(d) That she will end up like Ming-Feng.
7. How does Chueh-hui feel about his act of giving money to a begger?
8. Who ruined the student play in Chapter 7?
(b) Beggers trying to get money.
(d) Rowdy children from another school.
9. How old is Chueh-min?
(a) Seventeen years old.
(b) Nineteen years old.
(c) Sixteen years old.
(d) Eighteen years old.
10. What item does Mrs. Chang want Chueh-hsin to purchase for her?
(a) Meat for dinner.
(d) Silk fabric.
11. How does Cheuh-hui feel about the boys shooting fireworks at the dancers?
(a) He thinks that it is nice of them.
(b) He thinks it is funny.
(c) He really does not care.
(d) He thinks it is disgusting.
12. How does Chueh-hsin feel about having an arranged marriage?
(a) He is angry and runs away.
(b) He is indifferent and follows orders.
(c) He is devastated and refuses.
(d) He is pleased and marries.
13. Why has Mei returned to Chengtu?
(a) She missed home.
(b) Her mother is ill.
(c) Her husband got a new job.
(d) Her husband has died.
14. What is it that Master Kao does for the gods?
(d) Sacrifices spices.
15. In Chapter 16, what does Cheuh-hui do that makes Ming-feng feel safe?
(a) He writes her a love poem.
(b) He holds her hand.
(c) He stands outside her room.
(d) He sings her a song.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like in the opening setting of the story?
2. Who puts on the dragon show for the family?
3. Why does the responsibility of his family fall onto Chueh-hsin's shoulders soon after his marriage?
4. From what family is Chueh-hsin's wife?
5. What is Master Kao's friend Feng looking for?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)