|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ming-Feng gathering for Madame Chou and Mrs. Chang?
(c) Plum blossoms.
(d) Silk worms.
2. Why does Cheuh-hsin feel bad about thinking of Mei so much since he has last seen her?
(a) Because he thinks this would displease his father.
(b) Because he loves his wife and son so much.
(c) Because he really does not like Mei.
(d) Because he knows she does not love him.
3. What comfort does Chueh-hsin find in his wife?
(a) She is interested in seeing him pursue his dreams.
(b) She is pleasant and pretty.
(c) He loves her very much.
(d) She is a good cook.
4. Besides the boys' cousin, what other relatives are at dinner during the first three chapters of the story?
(a) The boys grandparents.
(b) Two uncles.
(c) Two aunts.
(d) Their great-grandfather.
5. How does Ming-Feng respond when Chueh-hui says he wants to protect her?
(a) She tells him to stay away from her.
(b) She says that she needs to leave.
(c) She says she thinks about him a lot.
(d) She says that they cannot love each other.
6. What type of stories do the sedan chair drivers tell Chueh-hui?
(a) Stories about heroes.
(b) Stories about religion.
(c) Stories about morals.
(d) Stories about injustice.
7. Who are the students petitioning in reaction to their play being ruined?
(a) Master Kao.
(b) The local monk.
(c) The Governor.
(d) The police.
8. What was it that kept Chueh-hsin and Mei from marrying?
(b) A fight between their mothers.
(c) A lack of tradition in Mei's family.
9. Who do the cousins agree not to tell of Mei's return to town?
(a) Master Kao.
10. How does Chueh-hui feel about his act of giving money to a begger?
11. The boys walk home from school instead of riding in what?
(a) A gig.
(b) A sedan chair.
(c) A buggy.
(d) A carriage.
12. Which of the following words does not describe Chin?
13. Why do the younger brothers like "New Tide" so much?
(a) It has nice photographs.
(b) It shows pictures of pretty women.
(c) They like the poetry section.
(d) It talks about revolutionary topics.
14. Who does Chueh-hui overhear speaking with a maid in Chapter 10?
(a) Madame Chou.
(d) Master Kao.
15. At the beginning of the book, why does Cheuh-hui stay to talk to the servant girl?
(a) He wants her to do his homework.
(b) He thinks that she is beautiful.
(c) He wants her to tell his parents he is ill.
(d) He needs her to go get something for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Cheuh-hsin hiding behind a shelter at the other end of the Kao compound?
2. Why has been Cheuh-hsin been drinking so much in Chapter 14?
3. In Chapter 16, what does Cheuh-hui do that makes Ming-feng feel safe?
4. Why does Chin's mother not allow her to go to the boys' school?
5. What is Cheuh-hsin's grandfather's name?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)