|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chueh-min run inside to do before heading off to dinner?
(a) Talk to his mother.
(b) Sneak a bit of dessert.
(c) Start his homework.
(d) Change his clothes.
2. What is Jui-cheuh trying to do by inviting Chueh-hui to play chess with her?
(a) Cheer him up.
(b) Teach him how to be a better chess player.
(c) Ask him about Ming-Feng.
(d) Tell him a secret.
3. What is Wan-erh afraid of?
(a) That Madame Chou does not like her.
(b) Becoming a begger on the streets.
(c) Becoming a concubine.
(d) That she will end up like Ming-Feng.
4. Chueh-hui wonders if who can marry Ming-Feng?
5. When does Chin mention her attending the boys' school to her mother?
(a) While helping her mother get ready for bed.
(b) While walking to the nearby temple.
(c) While cleaning the kitchen.
(d) While riding home from dinner.
6. What was it that kept Chueh-hsin and Mei from marrying?
(a) A lack of tradition in Mei's family.
(c) A fight between their mothers.
7. Why has Mei returned to Chengtu?
(a) Her mother is ill.
(b) Her husband got a new job.
(c) She missed home.
(d) Her husband has died.
8. Who seems to become nervous and quiet around Chin?
9. Who does Chueh-hui overhear speaking with a maid in Chapter 10?
(c) Madame Chou.
(d) Master Kao.
10. How old is Ming-Feng?
(a) Seventeen years old.
(b) Sixteen years old.
(c) Fourteen years old.
(d) Nineteen years old.
11. From what family is Chueh-hsin's wife?
(a) The Wong family.
(b) The Fa family.
(c) The Li family.
(d) The Cheung family.
12. How does Ming-Feng respond when Chueh-hui says he wants to protect her?
(a) She says that they cannot love each other.
(b) She tells him to stay away from her.
(c) She says that she needs to leave.
(d) She says she thinks about him a lot.
13. Who promises to keep an eye on Cheuh-hui to make sure he does not leave the house for a few days?
(c) Master Kao.
(d) Mrs. Chang.
14. Who do the cousins agree not to tell of Mei's return to town?
(a) Master Kao.
15. How does Chueh-hsin feel about having an arranged marriage?
(a) He is pleased and marries.
(b) He is devastated and refuses.
(c) He is angry and runs away.
(d) He is indifferent and follows orders.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Chueh-hsin when he finds out his father has arranged his marriage?
2. Who lectures Cheuh-hui about his behavior in Chapter 9?
3. Why does Chin's mother not allow her to go to the boys' school?
4. What does Cheuh-hui realize about how the talk of change and the new order affects Cheuh-hsin?
5. What do we learn about Chin's father in Chapter 5?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)