|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of stories do the sedan chair drivers tell Chueh-hui?
(a) Stories about morals.
(b) Stories about religion.
(c) Stories about heroes.
(d) Stories about injustice.
2. What is it that Master Kao does for the gods?
(a) Sacrifices spices.
3. Who does Chueh-min confess he is in love with in Chapter 10?
(a) Mrs. Chang.
4. Why do the younger brothers like "New Tide" so much?
(a) They like the poetry section.
(b) It has nice photographs.
(c) It shows pictures of pretty women.
(d) It talks about revolutionary topics.
5. The boys walk home from school instead of riding in what?
(a) A buggy.
(b) A sedan chair.
(c) A carriage.
(d) A gig.
6. What is Wan-erh afraid of?
(a) That she will end up like Ming-Feng.
(b) That Madame Chou does not like her.
(c) Becoming a begger on the streets.
(d) Becoming a concubine.
7. Who do the cousins agree not to tell of Mei's return to town?
(a) Master Kao.
8. Who lectures Cheuh-hui about his behavior in Chapter 9?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His older brother.
9. Why does Chin think she will not be able to go to the boys' school?
(a) Because she is a girl, and girls are not allowed at the school.
(b) Because her family will never let her.
(c) Because she is not smart enough.
(d) Because she does not have enough money.
10. Who seems to become nervous and quiet around Chin?
11. What instrument is Chueh-hsin playing his sad song on?
(a) A lute.
(b) A flute.
(c) A guitar.
(d) A lyre.
12. How are family members seated at the New Year's Eve feast?
(a) By family relation.
(b) By rank.
(c) By gender.
(d) By height.
13. Who does Chueh-hui overhear speaking with a maid in Chapter 10?
(a) Master Kao.
(b) Madame Chou.
14. How much younger than Chueh-min is Chueh-hui?
(a) About 18 months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Ten months.
(d) One year.
15. How old is Ming-Feng?
(a) Nineteen years old.
(b) Seventeen years old.
(c) Fourteen years old.
(d) Sixteen years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Chueh-hui frustrated with his brothers?
2. What seems to symbolize aristocracy to Chueh-hui?
3. What do Chin and Cheuh-min think of the boys shooting fireworks at the dancers?
4. What is Ming-Feng gathering for Madame Chou and Mrs. Chang?
5. What part of Ming-Feng does Chueh-hui compare with Chin?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)