|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chueh-hsin feel about having an arranged marriage?
(a) He is devastated and refuses.
(b) He is indifferent and follows orders.
(c) He is pleased and marries.
(d) He is angry and runs away.
2. What do we learn about Chin's father in Chapter 5?
(a) That he abandoned his family when Chin was very young.
(b) That he is dead.
(c) That he is off at war.
(d) That he is very ill.
3. Who seems to become nervous and quiet around Chin?
4. Which of the brothers seems most involved in the ideas of the revolution?
5. Who puts on the dragon show for the family?
(c) Uncle Ke-ting.
6. At what point in the first three chapters does the reader find out the brothers are from the gentry?
(a) When the boys names and ages are being shared.
(b) When the boys are walking home.
(c) During dinner.
(d) When Chueh-hui first speaks to Ming-Feng.
7. Besides the boys' cousin, what other relatives are at dinner during the first three chapters of the story?
(a) The boys grandparents.
(b) Two aunts.
(c) Two uncles.
(d) Their great-grandfather.
8. What role does Chueh-hsin play in the fireworks display?
(a) He sets off the fireworks.
(b) He is a dancer.
(c) He sings.
(d) He provides live music.
9. What was it that kept Chueh-hsin and Mei from marrying?
(a) A lack of tradition in Mei's family.
(c) A fight between their mothers.
10. Who tutors some of Chin's relatives?
11. Why do the two brothers head over to Chin's house after they pay their respects to the gods?
(a) To see Mei.
(b) To get away from their parents.
(c) To light fireworks.
(d) To pay their New Year's respects to Chin.
12. How long has Ming-Feng been a servant?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Twenty-four months.
13. In Chapter 11, what does Jui-cheuh say she is embroidering for her husband?
(a) A picture for their home.
(b) A runner for their canopy bed.
(c) A pillow with her family's name on it.
(d) A quilt.
14. How does Chin feel when her mother says she cannot attend the boys' school?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She knows her mother loves her.
(c) She does not care, she did not want to go anyway.
(d) She gets angry and hates her mother.
15. What is Chueh-hsin's hope for his son?
(a) That he will enter the army.
(b) That he will refuse to follow traditions.
(c) That he will love his wife as Chueh-hsin does.
(d) That will carry out Chueh-hsin's thwarted dreams.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words does not describe Chin?
2. Who ruined the student play in Chapter 7?
3. When does Chin mention her attending the boys' school to her mother?
4. What is Jui-cheuh trying to do by inviting Chueh-hui to play chess with her?
5. Which word does not adequately describe Chueh-hsin?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)