|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are family members seated at the New Year's Eve feast?
(a) By gender.
(b) By rank.
(c) By height.
(d) By family relation.
2. What part of Ming-Feng does Chueh-hui compare with Chin?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her intelligence.
(c) Her sense of style.
(d) Her independence.
3. Besides the boys' cousin, what other relatives are at dinner during the first three chapters of the story?
(a) Their great-grandfather.
(b) Two aunts.
(c) The boys grandparents.
(d) Two uncles.
4. Why has been Cheuh-hsin been drinking so much in Chapter 14?
(a) Because it is part of his job.
(b) Because it is the holidays.
(c) Because he is miserable.
(d) Because he is so happy.
5. What word best describes Chin's relationship with her mother?
6. How does Ming-Feng respond when Chueh-hui says he wants to protect her?
(a) She tells him to stay away from her.
(b) She says that she needs to leave.
(c) She says that they cannot love each other.
(d) She says she thinks about him a lot.
7. What is it that Master Kao does for the gods?
(a) Sacrifices spices.
8. Why does Chin think she will not be able to go to the boys' school?
(a) Because she does not have enough money.
(b) Because she is not smart enough.
(c) Because she is a girl, and girls are not allowed at the school.
(d) Because her family will never let her.
9. How long has Ming-Feng been a servant?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Twenty-four months.
(d) Seven years.
10. Who do the cousins agree not to tell of Mei's return to town?
(a) Master Kao.
11. Which of the following words does not describe Chin?
12. Which of the brothers seems most involved in the ideas of the revolution?
13. What is Master Kao's friend Feng looking for?
(a) A concubine.
(b) A new maid.
(c) A new sedan driver.
(d) A tutor for his children.
14. Why is Chueh-hui frustrated with his brothers?
(a) They do not approve of his love for Ming-Feng.
(b) They are not concerned with his concerns.
(c) They are living contradictory lives.
(d) They agree that he should not be so liberal.
15. Who does Chueh-min confess he is in love with in Chapter 10?
(c) Mrs. Chang.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cheuh-hui feel about the boys shooting fireworks at the dancers?
2. Why are the boys hurrying home to dinner at the beginning of the book?
3. How does most of the Kao family treat servants and those of a lower class?
4. What seems to symbolize aristocracy to Chueh-hui?
5. How old is Chueh-min?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)