|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chueh-hui see his servants?
(a) As people with problems of their own.
(b) A lesser human beings.
(c) A nice people who have nothing to worry about.
(d) A pieces of property.
2. What decision does Chueh-hui make, despite the fact it may anger his grandfather?
(a) He decides to advocate revolutionary thinking.
(b) He decides to leave the city and set out on his own.
(c) He decides to write his own liberal magazine.
(d) He decides to no longer stay at home.
3. In Chapter 14, where does Cheuh-hsin tell his brothers he has seen Mei?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At a silk shop.
(c) In the city square.
(d) At a department store.
4. Why does Chueh-hsin love plum blossoms so much?
(a) Because they remind him of the spring.
(b) Because his mother used to pick them for him.
(c) Because Mei's name means "plum blossom."
(d) Because of their scent.
5. How long has Ming-Feng been a servant?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Twenty-four months.
6. Who does Chueh-min confess he is in love with in Chapter 10?
(a) Mrs. Chang.
7. What does Chueh-hui do with the book his grandfather gives him?
(a) He burns it.
(b) He reads it.
(c) He tears it up.
(d) He gives it to Chueh-hsin.
8. How long has Mama Huang been with the Kao family?
(a) Fourteen years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Twenty years.
9. Who does Chueh-hui overhear speaking with a maid in Chapter 10?
(c) Madame Chou.
(d) Master Kao.
10. What is Wan-erh afraid of?
(a) Becoming a begger on the streets.
(b) Becoming a concubine.
(c) That she will end up like Ming-Feng.
(d) That Madame Chou does not like her.
11. Why has been Cheuh-hsin been drinking so much in Chapter 14?
(a) Because he is so happy.
(b) Because it is the holidays.
(c) Because he is miserable.
(d) Because it is part of his job.
12. What is it that Master Kao does for the gods?
(a) Sacrifices spices.
13. What seems to symbolize aristocracy to Chueh-hui?
(a) The sedan chairs.
(b) The Kao compound.
(c) The old traditions of his father.
14. What type of stories do the sedan chair drivers tell Chueh-hui?
(a) Stories about morals.
(b) Stories about heroes.
(c) Stories about injustice.
(d) Stories about religion.
15. When does Chin mention her attending the boys' school to her mother?
(a) While helping her mother get ready for bed.
(b) While riding home from dinner.
(c) While cleaning the kitchen.
(d) While walking to the nearby temple.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the responsibility of his family fall onto Chueh-hsin's shoulders soon after his marriage?
2. What campaign do the students launch?
3. Which of the following is one thing that the brothers have in common?
4. What days does Chueh-hsin get off from work?
5. How does Ming-Feng respond when Chueh-hui says he wants to protect her?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)