|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The boys walk home from school instead of riding in what?
(a) A buggy.
(b) A carriage.
(c) A sedan chair.
(d) A gig.
2. Who sent Ming-Feng off to be a servant?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her grandmother.
3. How long has Ming-Feng been a servant?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Twenty-four months.
(d) Six months.
4. What type of shop is Cheuh-hsin's office next to?
(a) A bookstore.
(b) A general store.
(c) A fabric shop.
(d) A butcher shop.
5. What seems to symbolize aristocracy to Chueh-hui?
(b) The sedan chairs.
(c) The Kao compound.
(d) The old traditions of his father.
6. Who are the students petitioning in reaction to their play being ruined?
(a) Master Kao.
(b) The police.
(c) The local monk.
(d) The Governor.
7. What is Cousin Mei's disposition when the two younger brother see her at Chin's house?
(a) She is melancholy.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She is calm.
8. What is Ming-Feng gathering for Madame Chou and Mrs. Chang?
(b) Silk worms.
(d) Plum blossoms.
9. What does Chueh-hui learn when playing chess with his sister-in-law?
(a) That she is pregnant with her second child.
(b) That she is miserable at the Kao home.
(c) That she lost some things too when she married Chueh-hsin.
(d) That she is a master chess player.
10. How does Chueh-hui feel about his act of giving money to a begger?
11. Why does Chin's mother not allow her to go to the boys' school?
(a) She thinks likes to make Chin unhappy.
(b) She does not think Chin will learn enough there.
(c) She feels people will gossip.
(d) The school is too difficult for Chin to get into.
12. In Chapter 11, what does Jui-cheuh say she is embroidering for her husband?
(a) A picture for their home.
(b) A pillow with her family's name on it.
(c) A runner for their canopy bed.
(d) A quilt.
13. Which of the following words does not describe Chin?
14. What type of stories do the sedan chair drivers tell Chueh-hui?
(a) Stories about morals.
(b) Stories about religion.
(c) Stories about injustice.
(d) Stories about heroes.
15. Which of the following is one thing that the brothers have in common?
(a) Unrequited love.
(b) All are passionate about their education.
(c) They all dislike their grandfather.
(d) They are tall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument is Chueh-hsin playing his sad song on?
2. What position does Wan-erh hold in the Kao household?
3. How does Chueh-hui see his servants?
4. Which of the brothers seems most involved in the ideas of the revolution?
5. Why does the responsibility of his family fall onto Chueh-hsin's shoulders soon after his marriage?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)