|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seems to symbolize aristocracy to Chueh-hui?
(a) The sedan chairs.
(c) The Kao compound.
(d) The old traditions of his father.
2. What does Chueh-min run inside to do before heading off to dinner?
(a) Change his clothes.
(b) Sneak a bit of dessert.
(c) Talk to his mother.
(d) Start his homework.
3. How long has Ming-Feng been a servant?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Twenty-four months.
(d) Six months.
4. How does Chueh-hsin feel about having an arranged marriage?
(a) He is indifferent and follows orders.
(b) He is devastated and refuses.
(c) He is pleased and marries.
(d) He is angry and runs away.
5. Who do the cousins agree not to tell of Mei's return to town?
(a) Master Kao.
6. What is it that Master Kao does for the gods?
(d) Sacrifices spices.
7. Who does Chueh-min confess he is in love with in Chapter 10?
(b) Mrs. Chang.
8. What is Chueh-hsin's hope for his son?
(a) That he will refuse to follow traditions.
(b) That will carry out Chueh-hsin's thwarted dreams.
(c) That he will love his wife as Chueh-hsin does.
(d) That he will enter the army.
9. Where are the brothers walking home from at the opening of the book?
(a) From the temple.
(b) From the market place.
(c) From school.
(d) From a friend's house.
10. How old is Ming-Feng?
(a) Nineteen years old.
(b) Fourteen years old.
(c) Seventeen years old.
(d) Sixteen years old.
11. What subject does Chueh-hsin expect to go study at university?
12. What is Master Kao's friend Feng looking for?
(a) A new maid.
(b) A concubine.
(c) A tutor for his children.
(d) A new sedan driver.
13. Who promises to keep an eye on Cheuh-hui to make sure he does not leave the house for a few days?
(b) Mrs. Chang.
(d) Master Kao.
14. In Chapter 14, where does Cheuh-hsin tell his brothers he has seen Mei?
(a) At a silk shop.
(b) At a department store.
(c) In the city square.
(d) At a restaurant.
15. What is Jui-cheuh trying to do by inviting Chueh-hui to play chess with her?
(a) Teach him how to be a better chess player.
(b) Tell him a secret.
(c) Ask him about Ming-Feng.
(d) Cheer him up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chin's mother not allow her to go to the boys' school?
2. What does Chueh-hui do with the book his grandfather gives him?
3. Who lectures Cheuh-hui about his behavior in Chapter 9?
4. Besides the boys' cousin, what other relatives are at dinner during the first three chapters of the story?
5. Why does Chueh-hsin love plum blossoms so much?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)