|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tutors some of Chin's relatives?
2. At the beginning of the book, why does Cheuh-hui stay to talk to the servant girl?
(a) He thinks that she is beautiful.
(b) He needs her to go get something for him.
(c) He wants her to tell his parents he is ill.
(d) He wants her to do his homework.
3. What is Cousin Mei's disposition when the two younger brother see her at Chin's house?
(a) She is melancholy.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is calm.
(d) She is happy.
4. What do Chin and Cheuh-min think of the boys shooting fireworks at the dancers?
(a) They do not see anything wrong with it.
(b) They think it is funny.
(c) They think it is mean.
(d) They think that it was necessary.
5. How does most of the Kao family treat servants and those of a lower class?
(a) They do not associate with such people.
(b) Without respect.
(c) With respect.
6. What is Master Kao's friend Feng looking for?
(a) A concubine.
(b) A new maid.
(c) A new sedan driver.
(d) A tutor for his children.
7. What is Ming-Feng gathering for Madame Chou and Mrs. Chang?
(a) Silk worms.
(d) Plum blossoms.
8. How long has Mama Huang been with the Kao family?
(a) Fourteen years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Ten years.
9. What does Cheuh-hui realize about how the talk of change and the new order affects Cheuh-hsin?
(a) He realizes it must anger him because he likes tradition.
(b) He realizes it makes him happy because he is free.
(c) He realizes it must give him hope because he wants change.
(d) He realizes it must devastate him because he is stuck.
10. How does Cheuh-hui feel about the boys shooting fireworks at the dancers?
(a) He thinks it is funny.
(b) He really does not care.
(c) He thinks that it is nice of them.
(d) He thinks it is disgusting.
11. What is it that Master Kao does for the gods?
(d) Sacrifices spices.
12. How does Chueh-hui feel about his act of giving money to a begger?
13. How are family members seated at the New Year's Eve feast?
(a) By rank.
(b) By gender.
(c) By family relation.
(d) By height.
14. Where are the brothers walking home from at the opening of the book?
(a) From the market place.
(b) From the temple.
(c) From a friend's house.
(d) From school.
15. Why has been Cheuh-hsin been drinking so much in Chapter 14?
(a) Because it is the holidays.
(b) Because he is so happy.
(c) Because he is miserable.
(d) Because it is part of his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides the boys' cousin, what other relatives are at dinner during the first three chapters of the story?
2. Who does Chueh-min confess he is in love with in Chapter 10?
3. Who is Mei?
4. What role does Chueh-hsin play in the fireworks display?
5. What was it that kept Chueh-hsin and Mei from marrying?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)