|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What days does Chueh-hsin get off from work?
(c) Saturdays and Mondays.
2. Why do the two brothers head over to Chin's house after they pay their respects to the gods?
(a) To pay their New Year's respects to Chin.
(b) To get away from their parents.
(c) To light fireworks.
(d) To see Mei.
3. What is Cheuh-hsin's grandfather's name?
(a) Jun jun
(b) Fai fai.
(c) Yeh yeh.
(d) Shen shen.
4. In Chapter 16, what does Cheuh-hui do that makes Ming-feng feel safe?
(a) He writes her a love poem.
(b) He sings her a song.
(c) He stands outside her room.
(d) He holds her hand.
5. Which of the brothers seems most involved in the ideas of the revolution?
6. What position does Wan-erh hold in the Kao household?
(a) She is a cousin.
(b) She is a servant.
(c) She is a concubine.
(d) She is a sister-in-law.
7. How are family members seated at the New Year's Eve feast?
(a) By gender.
(b) By rank.
(c) By family relation.
(d) By height.
8. At what point in the first three chapters does the reader find out the brothers are from the gentry?
(a) During dinner.
(b) When Chueh-hui first speaks to Ming-Feng.
(c) When the boys are walking home.
(d) When the boys names and ages are being shared.
9. What is it that Master Kao does for the gods?
(d) Sacrifices spices.
10. Why does Ming-Feng get in trouble with the women?
(a) Because she is not smiling as she should.
(b) Because she has spilt tea on an honored guest.
(c) Because she is daydreaming instead of listening to them.
(d) Because she has been detained by Chueh-hui.
11. What type of stories do the sedan chair drivers tell Chueh-hui?
(a) Stories about heroes.
(b) Stories about religion.
(c) Stories about injustice.
(d) Stories about morals.
12. Who are the students petitioning in reaction to their play being ruined?
(a) The Governor.
(b) The police.
(c) Master Kao.
(d) The local monk.
13. How old was Ming-Feng when she was sent to be a servant?
(a) Eight years old.
(b) Six years old.
(c) Nine years old.
(d) Seven years old.
14. What was it that kept Chueh-hsin and Mei from marrying?
(b) A lack of tradition in Mei's family.
(c) A fight between their mothers.
15. What is Jui-cheuh trying to do by inviting Chueh-hui to play chess with her?
(a) Tell him a secret.
(b) Teach him how to be a better chess player.
(c) Cheer him up.
(d) Ask him about Ming-Feng.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what family is Chueh-hsin's wife?
2. According to Chapter 15, when was the last time the boys saw their cousin Mei?
3. In Chapter 14, where does Cheuh-hsin tell his brothers he has seen Mei?
4. What do Chin and Cheuh-min think of the boys shooting fireworks at the dancers?
5. How does Chin feel when her mother says she cannot attend the boys' school?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)