|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cheuh-hsin feel bad about thinking of Mei so much since he has last seen her?
(a) Because he thinks this would displease his father.
(b) Because he knows she does not love him.
(c) Because he loves his wife and son so much.
(d) Because he really does not like Mei.
2. What do we learn about Chin's father in Chapter 5?
(a) That he is very ill.
(b) That he is dead.
(c) That he is off at war.
(d) That he abandoned his family when Chin was very young.
3. What is Cousin Mei's disposition when the two younger brother see her at Chin's house?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She is melancholy.
(c) She is calm.
(d) She is happy.
4. Why does Ming-Feng get in trouble with the women?
(a) Because she is not smiling as she should.
(b) Because she is daydreaming instead of listening to them.
(c) Because she has been detained by Chueh-hui.
(d) Because she has spilt tea on an honored guest.
5. Who seems to become nervous and quiet around Chin?
6. What is the weather like in the opening setting of the story?
(a) It is springtime.
(b) It is raining.
(c) It is sunny.
(d) It is snowing.
7. Why do the younger brothers like "New Tide" so much?
(a) They like the poetry section.
(b) It talks about revolutionary topics.
(c) It has nice photographs.
(d) It shows pictures of pretty women.
8. Which of the following is one thing that the brothers have in common?
(a) All are passionate about their education.
(b) They are tall.
(c) Unrequited love.
(d) They all dislike their grandfather.
9. What seems to symbolize aristocracy to Chueh-hui?
(a) The old traditions of his father.
(b) The Kao compound.
(c) The sedan chairs.
10. How does Chin feel when her mother says she cannot attend the boys' school?
(a) She does not care, she did not want to go anyway.
(b) She knows her mother loves her.
(c) She gets angry and hates her mother.
(d) She is happy.
11. Who ruined the student play in Chapter 7?
(c) Rowdy children from another school.
(d) Beggers trying to get money.
12. How are family members seated at the New Year's Eve feast?
(a) By gender.
(b) By rank.
(c) By height.
(d) By family relation.
13. Why is Cheuh-hsin hiding behind a shelter at the other end of the Kao compound?
(a) He is thinking.
(b) He is not feeling well and did not want to worry them.
(c) He is playing hide and seek with his son.
(d) He is hiding from his responsibilities.
14. In Chapter 11, how does Chueh-hui vent his frustrations?
(a) Writing in a journal.
(b) Writing songs.
(c) Practicing marital arts.
15. What word best describes Chin's relationship with her mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cheuh-hui realize about how the talk of change and the new order affects Cheuh-hsin?
2. What role does Chueh-hsin play in the fireworks display?
3. Why do the two brothers head over to Chin's house after they pay their respects to the gods?
4. How old is Ming-Feng?
5. What decision does Chueh-hui make, despite the fact it may anger his grandfather?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)