|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is one thing that the brothers have in common?
(a) They are tall.
(b) Unrequited love.
(c) All are passionate about their education.
(d) They all dislike their grandfather.
2. Who promises to keep an eye on Cheuh-hui to make sure he does not leave the house for a few days?
(a) Master Kao.
(c) Mrs. Chang.
3. How long has Mama Huang been with the Kao family?
(a) Fourteen years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Twenty years.
4. Why does Chin's mother not allow her to go to the boys' school?
(a) The school is too difficult for Chin to get into.
(b) She thinks likes to make Chin unhappy.
(c) She feels people will gossip.
(d) She does not think Chin will learn enough there.
5. What exam does Chueh-min help Chin study for?
(a) Her math exam.
(b) Her etiquette exam.
(c) Her science final.
(d) Her English entrance exam.
6. How does Ming-Feng respond when Chueh-hui says he wants to protect her?
(a) She says that they cannot love each other.
(b) She says she thinks about him a lot.
(c) She says that she needs to leave.
(d) She tells him to stay away from her.
7. What is Ming-Feng gathering for Madame Chou and Mrs. Chang?
(a) Plum blossoms.
(d) Silk worms.
8. Who puts on the dragon show for the family?
(b) Uncle Ke-ting.
9. In Chapter 11, what does Jui-cheuh say she is embroidering for her husband?
(a) A pillow with her family's name on it.
(b) A runner for their canopy bed.
(c) A quilt.
(d) A picture for their home.
10. Who is Mei?
(a) Chueh-min's girlfriend.
(b) The boy's aunt.
(c) Chueh-hsin's cousin.
(d) The woman Chueh-hsin is arranged to marry.
11. What subject does Chueh-hsin expect to go study at university?
12. How does Chueh-hsin feel about having an arranged marriage?
(a) He is pleased and marries.
(b) He is indifferent and follows orders.
(c) He is devastated and refuses.
(d) He is angry and runs away.
13. Who lectures Cheuh-hui about his behavior in Chapter 9?
(a) His mother.
(b) His older brother.
(c) His father.
(d) His grandfather.
14. In Chapter 14, where does Cheuh-hsin tell his brothers he has seen Mei?
(a) At a department store.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At a silk shop.
(d) In the city square.
15. What do Chin and Cheuh-min think of the boys shooting fireworks at the dancers?
(a) They think that it was necessary.
(b) They think it is mean.
(c) They do not see anything wrong with it.
(d) They think it is funny.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps with making the fireworks?
2. Why is Cheuh-hsin hiding behind a shelter at the other end of the Kao compound?
3. What does Chueh-hui learn when playing chess with his sister-in-law?
4. What does Chueh-hui do with the book his grandfather gives him?
5. What is Jui-cheuh trying to do by inviting Chueh-hui to play chess with her?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)