|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who puts on the dragon show for the family?
(a) Uncle Ke-ting.
2. Who do the cousins agree not to tell of Mei's return to town?
(a) Master Kao.
3. How does Chueh-hsin feel about having an arranged marriage?
(a) He is indifferent and follows orders.
(b) He is devastated and refuses.
(c) He is pleased and marries.
(d) He is angry and runs away.
4. Who are the students petitioning in reaction to their play being ruined?
(a) The police.
(b) The Governor.
(c) The local monk.
(d) Master Kao.
5. Who tutors some of Chin's relatives?
6. Who does Chueh-hui overhear speaking with a maid in Chapter 10?
(a) Madame Chou.
(b) Master Kao.
7. How does Ming-Feng respond when Chueh-hui says he wants to protect her?
(a) She tells him to stay away from her.
(b) She says that they cannot love each other.
(c) She says that she needs to leave.
(d) She says she thinks about him a lot.
8. How old is Ming-Feng?
(a) Fourteen years old.
(b) Sixteen years old.
(c) Nineteen years old.
(d) Seventeen years old.
9. What campaign do the students launch?
(a) Preserve respect for students.
(b) Save the arts.
(c) Safety for all.
(d) Keep Chengtu safe.
10. Why does Chueh-hsin love plum blossoms so much?
(a) Because his mother used to pick them for him.
(b) Because they remind him of the spring.
(c) Because of their scent.
(d) Because Mei's name means "plum blossom."
11. Where are the brothers walking home from at the opening of the book?
(a) From the market place.
(b) From the temple.
(c) From school.
(d) From a friend's house.
12. What is it that Master Kao does for the gods?
(d) Sacrifices spices.
13. According to Chapter 15, when was the last time the boys saw their cousin Mei?
(a) At her wedding.
(b) At the New Years holiday festivities.
(c) Before she was married.
(d) When she had her first child.
14. Why are the boys hurrying home to dinner at the beginning of the book?
(a) Because it is a holiday.
(b) Because they are late.
(c) Because they have guests visitig.
(d) Because they are hungry.
15. What is Cheuh-hsin's grandfather's name?
(a) Yeh yeh.
(b) Jun jun
(c) Fai fai.
(d) Shen shen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chin's mother not allow her to go to the boys' school?
2. How long has Mama Huang been with the Kao family?
3. How does Chin feel when her mother says she cannot attend the boys' school?
4. What word does not describe the Cheuh family?
5. How are family members seated at the New Year's Eve feast?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)