|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather like in the opening setting of the story?
(a) It is snowing.
(b) It is springtime.
(c) It is raining.
(d) It is sunny.
2. Where are the brothers walking home from at the opening of the book?
(a) From the market place.
(b) From the temple.
(c) From school.
(d) From a friend's house.
3. What fear does Ming-Feng have?
(a) That she will die young.
(b) That she will not have children.
(c) She will not have servants of her own someday.
(d) She will never have a home of her own.
4. How old is Chueh-min?
(a) Nineteen years old.
(b) Sixteen years old.
(c) Eighteen years old.
(d) Seventeen years old.
5. How does Chueh-hui see his servants?
(a) A lesser human beings.
(b) As people with problems of their own.
(c) A pieces of property.
(d) A nice people who have nothing to worry about.
6. What is Ming-Feng gathering for Madame Chou and Mrs. Chang?
(a) Plum blossoms.
(d) Silk worms.
7. What do Chin and Cheuh-min think of the boys shooting fireworks at the dancers?
(a) They think that it was necessary.
(b) They think it is funny.
(c) They think it is mean.
(d) They do not see anything wrong with it.
8. What does Chueh-min run inside to do before heading off to dinner?
(a) Start his homework.
(b) Sneak a bit of dessert.
(c) Talk to his mother.
(d) Change his clothes.
9. Which of the following words does not describe Chin?
10. What is the name of the author of the book that Chueh-hui is reading in Chapter 12?
11. How old is Chueh-hsin when he finds out his father has arranged his marriage?
12. Why is Cheuh-hsin hiding behind a shelter at the other end of the Kao compound?
(a) He is not feeling well and did not want to worry them.
(b) He is thinking.
(c) He is playing hide and seek with his son.
(d) He is hiding from his responsibilities.
13. At the beginning of the book, why does Cheuh-hui stay to talk to the servant girl?
(a) He wants her to tell his parents he is ill.
(b) He needs her to go get something for him.
(c) He wants her to do his homework.
(d) He thinks that she is beautiful.
14. Who does Chueh-hui overhear speaking with a maid in Chapter 10?
(c) Master Kao.
(d) Madame Chou.
15. Why is Chueh-hui frustrated with his brothers?
(a) They are not concerned with his concerns.
(b) They are living contradictory lives.
(c) They do not approve of his love for Ming-Feng.
(d) They agree that he should not be so liberal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes Chin's relationship with her mother?
2. Who lectures Cheuh-hui about his behavior in Chapter 9?
3. Which of the following is one thing that the brothers have in common?
4. Why has been Cheuh-hsin been drinking so much in Chapter 14?
5. How does Cheuh-hui feel about the boys shooting fireworks at the dancers?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)