|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word does not adequately describe Chueh-hsin?
2. What is the weather like in the opening setting of the story?
(a) It is sunny.
(b) It is raining.
(c) It is snowing.
(d) It is springtime.
3. What is Chueh-hsin's hope for his son?
(a) That he will refuse to follow traditions.
(b) That he will enter the army.
(c) That will carry out Chueh-hsin's thwarted dreams.
(d) That he will love his wife as Chueh-hsin does.
4. Why does Chin think she will not be able to go to the boys' school?
(a) Because she is not smart enough.
(b) Because she is a girl, and girls are not allowed at the school.
(c) Because she does not have enough money.
(d) Because her family will never let her.
5. What type of stories do the sedan chair drivers tell Chueh-hui?
(a) Stories about religion.
(b) Stories about morals.
(c) Stories about heroes.
(d) Stories about injustice.
6. According to Chapter 15, when was the last time the boys saw their cousin Mei?
(a) Before she was married.
(b) When she had her first child.
(c) At her wedding.
(d) At the New Years holiday festivities.
7. The boys walk home from school instead of riding in what?
(a) A carriage.
(b) A sedan chair.
(c) A buggy.
(d) A gig.
8. What word does not describe the Cheuh family?
9. What is Master Kao's friend Feng looking for?
(a) A tutor for his children.
(b) A concubine.
(c) A new maid.
(d) A new sedan driver.
10. What is the second line to this proverb: "benevolent rulers, happy family..."?
(a) Many years, many grandchildren.
(b) Long life, good harvests.
(c) Weak rulers, bad children.
(d) Happy family, happy home.
11. Who sent Ming-Feng off to be a servant?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
12. How long has Ming-Feng been a servant?
(a) Twenty-four months.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Seven years.
13. What does Chueh-hui do with the book his grandfather gives him?
(a) He gives it to Chueh-hsin.
(b) He tears it up.
(c) He reads it.
(d) He burns it.
14. Who puts on the dragon show for the family?
(b) Uncle Ke-ting.
15. What is Jui-cheuh trying to do by inviting Chueh-hui to play chess with her?
(a) Ask him about Ming-Feng.
(b) Cheer him up.
(c) Tell him a secret.
(d) Teach him how to be a better chess player.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what family is Chueh-hsin's wife?
2. What subject does Chueh-hsin expect to go study at university?
3. What type of shop is Cheuh-hsin's office next to?
4. Who are the students petitioning in reaction to their play being ruined?
5. How does Chin feel when her mother says she cannot attend the boys' school?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)