|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Chin mention her attending the boys' school to her mother?
(a) While walking to the nearby temple.
(b) While helping her mother get ready for bed.
(c) While cleaning the kitchen.
(d) While riding home from dinner.
2. Who does Chueh-min confess he is in love with in Chapter 10?
(a) Mrs. Chang.
3. What comfort does Chueh-hsin find in his wife?
(a) She is interested in seeing him pursue his dreams.
(b) She is pleasant and pretty.
(c) She is a good cook.
(d) He loves her very much.
4. Who tutors some of Chin's relatives?
5. Who seems to become nervous and quiet around Chin?
6. Why is Cheuh-hsin hiding behind a shelter at the other end of the Kao compound?
(a) He is not feeling well and did not want to worry them.
(b) He is thinking.
(c) He is playing hide and seek with his son.
(d) He is hiding from his responsibilities.
7. What fear does Ming-Feng have?
(a) She will never have a home of her own.
(b) That she will not have children.
(c) That she will die young.
(d) She will not have servants of her own someday.
8. Where are the brothers walking home from at the opening of the book?
(a) From the market place.
(b) From the temple.
(c) From a friend's house.
(d) From school.
9. What type of shop is Cheuh-hsin's office next to?
(a) A general store.
(b) A butcher shop.
(c) A bookstore.
(d) A fabric shop.
10. How does Chueh-hui feel about his act of giving money to a begger?
11. Who are the students petitioning in reaction to their play being ruined?
(a) The local monk.
(b) The Governor.
(c) The police.
(d) Master Kao.
12. What does Chueh-min run inside to do before heading off to dinner?
(a) Start his homework.
(b) Sneak a bit of dessert.
(c) Talk to his mother.
(d) Change his clothes.
13. Why does Chin think she will not be able to go to the boys' school?
(a) Because she is a girl, and girls are not allowed at the school.
(b) Because she does not have enough money.
(c) Because her family will never let her.
(d) Because she is not smart enough.
14. In Chapter 11, how does Chueh-hui vent his frustrations?
(b) Writing songs.
(c) Writing in a journal.
(d) Practicing marital arts.
15. How does Ming-Feng respond when Chueh-hui says he wants to protect her?
(a) She says she thinks about him a lot.
(b) She says that she needs to leave.
(c) She tells him to stay away from her.
(d) She says that they cannot love each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cheuh-hsin's grandfather's name?
2. Which of the following words does not describe Chin?
3. Chueh-hui wonders if who can marry Ming-Feng?
4. What word does not describe the Cheuh family?
5. What part of Ming-Feng does Chueh-hui compare with Chin?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)