|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chueh-hsin love plum blossoms so much?
(a) Because his mother used to pick them for him.
(b) Because they remind him of the spring.
(c) Because of their scent.
(d) Because Mei's name means "plum blossom."
2. Who ruined the student play in Chapter 7?
(a) Rowdy children from another school.
(c) Beggers trying to get money.
3. How has Chueh-hui been feeling during the New Years holiday?
4. Why do the two brothers head over to Chin's house after they pay their respects to the gods?
(a) To pay their New Year's respects to Chin.
(b) To light fireworks.
(c) To get away from their parents.
(d) To see Mei.
5. What is it that Master Kao does for the gods?
(a) Sacrifices spices.
6. Why does Chin's mother not allow her to go to the boys' school?
(a) The school is too difficult for Chin to get into.
(b) She thinks likes to make Chin unhappy.
(c) She feels people will gossip.
(d) She does not think Chin will learn enough there.
7. From what family is Chueh-hsin's wife?
(a) The Fa family.
(b) The Li family.
(c) The Cheung family.
(d) The Wong family.
8. How does Chueh-hui see his servants?
(a) A pieces of property.
(b) As people with problems of their own.
(c) A lesser human beings.
(d) A nice people who have nothing to worry about.
9. What is the weather like in the opening setting of the story?
(a) It is raining.
(b) It is sunny.
(c) It is snowing.
(d) It is springtime.
10. What campaign do the students launch?
(a) Safety for all.
(b) Save the arts.
(c) Preserve respect for students.
(d) Keep Chengtu safe.
11. Who lectures Cheuh-hui about his behavior in Chapter 9?
(a) His older brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His grandfather.
12. Who tutors some of Chin's relatives?
13. Who seems to become nervous and quiet around Chin?
14. At the beginning of the book, why does Cheuh-hui stay to talk to the servant girl?
(a) He wants her to do his homework.
(b) He thinks that she is beautiful.
(c) He needs her to go get something for him.
(d) He wants her to tell his parents he is ill.
15. Why does Ming-Feng get in trouble with the women?
(a) Because she has spilt tea on an honored guest.
(b) Because she is not smiling as she should.
(c) Because she is daydreaming instead of listening to them.
(d) Because she has been detained by Chueh-hui.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of shop is Cheuh-hsin's office next to?
2. Who does Chueh-hui overhear speaking with a maid in Chapter 10?
3. Who do the cousins agree not to tell of Mei's return to town?
4. What decision does Chueh-hui make, despite the fact it may anger his grandfather?
5. What is Wan-erh afraid of?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)