|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chin think she will not be able to go to the boys' school?
(a) Because she is a girl, and girls are not allowed at the school.
(b) Because she is not smart enough.
(c) Because she does not have enough money.
(d) Because her family will never let her.
2. Who helps with making the fireworks?
(a) Ming-feng and the other servants.
(b) Master Kao.
(c) Yeh yeh.
(d) The sedan drivers.
3. What part of Ming-Feng does Chueh-hui compare with Chin?
(a) Her independence.
(b) Her intelligence.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her sense of style.
4. What does Chueh-min run inside to do before heading off to dinner?
(a) Sneak a bit of dessert.
(b) Start his homework.
(c) Talk to his mother.
(d) Change his clothes.
5. What does Chueh-hui do with the book his grandfather gives him?
(a) He burns it.
(b) He reads it.
(c) He gives it to Chueh-hsin.
(d) He tears it up.
6. How much younger than Chueh-min is Chueh-hui?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(c) About 18 months.
(d) Ten months.
7. At what point in the first three chapters does the reader find out the brothers are from the gentry?
(a) When the boys are walking home.
(b) When the boys names and ages are being shared.
(c) When Chueh-hui first speaks to Ming-Feng.
(d) During dinner.
8. Why do the two brothers head over to Chin's house after they pay their respects to the gods?
(a) To pay their New Year's respects to Chin.
(b) To get away from their parents.
(c) To light fireworks.
(d) To see Mei.
9. What is Master Kao's friend Feng looking for?
(a) A tutor for his children.
(b) A concubine.
(c) A new maid.
(d) A new sedan driver.
10. How does Chin feel when her mother says she cannot attend the boys' school?
(a) She gets angry and hates her mother.
(b) She does not care, she did not want to go anyway.
(c) She knows her mother loves her.
(d) She is happy.
11. How does Chueh-hui see his servants?
(a) A nice people who have nothing to worry about.
(b) As people with problems of their own.
(c) A pieces of property.
(d) A lesser human beings.
12. What does Cheuh-hui realize about how the talk of change and the new order affects Cheuh-hsin?
(a) He realizes it makes him happy because he is free.
(b) He realizes it must give him hope because he wants change.
(c) He realizes it must anger him because he likes tradition.
(d) He realizes it must devastate him because he is stuck.
13. Why is Cheuh-hsin hiding behind a shelter at the other end of the Kao compound?
(a) He is thinking.
(b) He is not feeling well and did not want to worry them.
(c) He is hiding from his responsibilities.
(d) He is playing hide and seek with his son.
14. Who ruined the student play in Chapter 7?
(c) Rowdy children from another school.
(d) Beggers trying to get money.
15. Why has been Cheuh-hsin been drinking so much in Chapter 14?
(a) Because he is miserable.
(b) Because he is so happy.
(c) Because it is the holidays.
(d) Because it is part of his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Chueh-hsin play in the fireworks display?
2. What word best describes Chin's relationship with her mother?
3. In Chapter 14, where does Cheuh-hsin tell his brothers he has seen Mei?
4. According to Chapter 15, when was the last time the boys saw their cousin Mei?
5. How has Chueh-hui been feeling during the New Years holiday?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)