|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the younger brothers like "New Tide" so much?
(a) They like the poetry section.
(b) It has nice photographs.
(c) It shows pictures of pretty women.
(d) It talks about revolutionary topics.
2. Who promises to keep an eye on Cheuh-hui to make sure he does not leave the house for a few days?
(a) Mrs. Chang.
(b) Master Kao.
3. What is Cheuh-hsin's grandfather's name?
(a) Jun jun
(b) Fai fai.
(c) Shen shen.
(d) Yeh yeh.
4. Why are the boys hurrying home to dinner at the beginning of the book?
(a) Because it is a holiday.
(b) Because they have guests visitig.
(c) Because they are late.
(d) Because they are hungry.
5. What holiday takes place in Chapter 11?
(a) New Year's Day.
(b) Qing Ming.
(c) The Seveth Eve.
(d) Spring Festival.
6. How does Chueh-hui see his servants?
(a) A pieces of property.
(b) A nice people who have nothing to worry about.
(c) As people with problems of their own.
(d) A lesser human beings.
7. Which of the following is one thing that the brothers have in common?
(a) They are tall.
(b) They all dislike their grandfather.
(c) All are passionate about their education.
(d) Unrequited love.
8. What word best describes Chin's relationship with her mother?
9. Who is Mei?
(a) The woman Chueh-hsin is arranged to marry.
(b) Chueh-hsin's cousin.
(c) Chueh-min's girlfriend.
(d) The boy's aunt.
10. Besides the boys' cousin, what other relatives are at dinner during the first three chapters of the story?
(a) The boys grandparents.
(b) Two aunts.
(c) Their great-grandfather.
(d) Two uncles.
11. Who ruined the student play in Chapter 7?
(b) Beggers trying to get money.
(d) Rowdy children from another school.
12. What role does Chueh-hsin play in the fireworks display?
(a) He is a dancer.
(b) He provides live music.
(c) He sings.
(d) He sets off the fireworks.
13. Who puts on the dragon show for the family?
(d) Uncle Ke-ting.
14. Who seems to become nervous and quiet around Chin?
15. What does Chueh-hui do with the book his grandfather gives him?
(a) He gives it to Chueh-hsin.
(b) He burns it.
(c) He tears it up.
(d) He reads it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What exam does Chueh-min help Chin study for?
2. The boys walk home from school instead of riding in what?
3. Why does the responsibility of his family fall onto Chueh-hsin's shoulders soon after his marriage?
4. Who tutors some of Chin's relatives?
5. What type of shop is Cheuh-hsin's office next to?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)