|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the students petitioning in reaction to their play being ruined?
(a) The police.
(b) Master Kao.
(c) The local monk.
(d) The Governor.
2. How does Chueh-hsin feel about having an arranged marriage?
(a) He is pleased and marries.
(b) He is devastated and refuses.
(c) He is angry and runs away.
(d) He is indifferent and follows orders.
3. What does Chueh-hui learn when playing chess with his sister-in-law?
(a) That she lost some things too when she married Chueh-hsin.
(b) That she is pregnant with her second child.
(c) That she is miserable at the Kao home.
(d) That she is a master chess player.
4. Why does Chueh-hsin love plum blossoms so much?
(a) Because Mei's name means "plum blossom."
(b) Because of their scent.
(c) Because they remind him of the spring.
(d) Because his mother used to pick them for him.
5. What exam does Chueh-min help Chin study for?
(a) Her science final.
(b) Her math exam.
(c) Her English entrance exam.
(d) Her etiquette exam.
6. What instrument is Chueh-hsin playing his sad song on?
(a) A lyre.
(b) A flute.
(c) A guitar.
(d) A lute.
7. How does Ming-Feng respond when Chueh-hui says he wants to protect her?
(a) She tells him to stay away from her.
(b) She says she thinks about him a lot.
(c) She says that they cannot love each other.
(d) She says that she needs to leave.
8. Which of the brothers seems most involved in the ideas of the revolution?
9. What was it that kept Chueh-hsin and Mei from marrying?
(a) A lack of tradition in Mei's family.
(d) A fight between their mothers.
10. What is the weather like in the opening setting of the story?
(a) It is snowing.
(b) It is raining.
(c) It is sunny.
(d) It is springtime.
11. What type of shop is Cheuh-hsin's office next to?
(a) A general store.
(b) A butcher shop.
(c) A fabric shop.
(d) A bookstore.
12. What role does Chueh-hsin play in the fireworks display?
(a) He sets off the fireworks.
(b) He provides live music.
(c) He sings.
(d) He is a dancer.
13. In Chapter 14, where does Cheuh-hsin tell his brothers he has seen Mei?
(a) In the city square.
(b) At a silk shop.
(c) At a department store.
(d) At a restaurant.
14. What campaign do the students launch?
(a) Safety for all.
(b) Keep Chengtu safe.
(c) Save the arts.
(d) Preserve respect for students.
15. What is one way the students launch their campaign?
(b) Bombing public sites.
(c) Participating in sit-ins.
(d) Printing and distributing leaflets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Wan-erh hold in the Kao household?
2. How does Chueh-hui feel about his act of giving money to a begger?
3. What holiday takes place in Chapter 11?
4. Where are the brothers walking home from at the opening of the book?
5. How does most of the Kao family treat servants and those of a lower class?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)