|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the king's response to the complaints made about Simon?
2. What news does Edward give the de Montforts and Hal Planate genet?
3. What are the terms Simon give Henry in surrender?
4. Where does Edward join King Henry?
5. What does Simon ask Llewelyn for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what condition does Simon ultimately quit Gascony?
2. What is going on in Wales as the tensions escalate between King Henry and Simon over the Oxford Provisions?
3. Describe the destruction of Bran de Montfort's army at Kenilworth.
4. What problems does Simon confront after his victory over Henry?
5. What is Simon's defense to the lords' accusations?
6. What is Simon de Montfort accused of by the lords of Gascony?
7. How does is Edward treated when he is trapped him at Gloucester Castle?
8. What do the Oxford Provisions change?
9. How does Simon's defeat affect Llewelyn and Nell?
10. What happens to Simon's body after death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What tradeoffs would have been required for the Oxford Provisions to have taken effect? If there is a lesson in the war Simon waged to enforce them, what is it?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is the heart of Falls the Shadow for Penman? Is it the medieval lifestyle? The political struggle? The warfare? The emergence of an effective government from the monarchical government?
Essay Topic 3
Using specific instances from the text, explain the symbolism of the book's title. What is the shadow, and where does it fall? What effect does the title have on the book? How does is guide the reader's expectations? How does the book work against the title?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)