|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Simon's army attempt to escape?
2. What does Parliament struggle to determine?
3. What gives Simon cause to worry after his victory?
4. What do Simon and his knights do after they get Henry's letter?
5. Who mediates between King Henry and Simon de Montfort?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry's response to Simon's attempts to enforce the Oxford Provisions?
2. Why do Owain and Davydd invade Gwynedd?
3. How does Edward raise an army?
4. What is going on in Wales as the tensions escalate between King Henry and Simon over the Oxford Provisions?
5. What complications are caused by King Louis' mediation?
6. What problems does Simon confront after his victory over Henry?
7. What is Simon's defense to the lords' accusations?
8. What brings Simon to renounce his loyalty to King Henry?
9. How is Simon's army nearly wiped out?
10. What problems does Simon encounter after subduing King Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Oxford Provisions? Who benefited by their implementation? Whose power was curtailed? Was it a step forward? Cite evidence from the novel to argue one way or the other.
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of Falls the Shadow. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)