|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Nell after Simon's death?
2. What is Simon involved in when he hears of the illness of his daughter?
3. What brings Nell back to England?
4. What is Simon accused of?
5. What do Simon and his knights do after they get Henry's letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What brings Simon to renounce his loyalty to King Henry?
2. Why do Owain and Davydd invade Gwynedd?
3. How does Simon's defeat affect Llewelyn and Nell?
4. What judgment is made in the case?
5. What problem have the Lusignan confronted King Henry with?
6. How does is Edward treated when he is trapped him at Gloucester Castle?
7. What complications are caused by King Louis' mediation?
8. What is Simon de Montfort accused of by the lords of Gascony?
9. Describe the defeat of Simon's army at Evesham.
10. What is going on in Wales as the tensions escalate between King Henry and Simon over the Oxford Provisions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific instances from the text, explain the symbolism of the book's title. What is the shadow, and where does it fall? What effect does the title have on the book? How does is guide the reader's expectations? How does the book work against the title?
Essay Topic 2
What traits are specifically English, in Falls the Shadow? How are those traits defined in relation to France and Wales?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)