|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bran de Montfort squash Edward's escape attempt?
2. What did the Oxford Provisions prohibit?
3. Where is Edward trapped?
4. What does Simon have to do after the victory over Henry?
5. Who is the head of the barons who are frustrated by the Lusignans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What brings Simon to renounce his loyalty to King Henry?
2. How does Simon's defeat affect Llewelyn and Nell?
3. What is Simon de Montfort accused of by the lords of Gascony?
4. Describe the defeat of Simon's army at Evesham.
5. Describe the destruction of Bran de Montfort's army at Kenilworth.
6. What do the Oxford Provisions change?
7. What judgment is made in the case?
8. What are the conditions Simon imposes on King Henry when he triumphs over him?
9. What is Simon's defense to the lords' accusations?
10. What is Edward's role in the opposition between Simon and King Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What tradeoffs would have been required for the Oxford Provisions to have taken effect? If there is a lesson in the war Simon waged to enforce them, what is it?
Essay Topic 2
What traits are specifically English, in Falls the Shadow? How are those traits defined in relation to France and Wales?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)