|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what condition does Simon say he will leave his post?
2. How does Edward get into Northampton to attack Simon's army?
3. What has happened to Simon's body after his death?
4. What does Nell do for Elen's children?
5. What does Simon have to do after the victory over Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the conditions Simon imposes on King Henry when he triumphs over him?
2. Describe the fight that leads to Henry's surrender.
3. What do the Oxford Provisions change?
4. What is Simon's defense to the lords' accusations?
5. Describe the destruction of Bran de Montfort's army at Kenilworth.
6. How does Simon's defeat affect Llewelyn and Nell?
7. What is Henry's response to Simon's attempts to enforce the Oxford Provisions?
8. Describe the defeat of Simon's army at Evesham.
9. What is Edward's role in the opposition between Simon and King Henry?
10. How is Simon's army nearly wiped out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is the heart of Falls the Shadow for Penman? Is it the medieval lifestyle? The political struggle? The warfare? The emergence of an effective government from the monarchical government?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Use this book as a meditation on the value of a five-star rating system. Is a five-star system sufficient to a book like this? Would you need to have sub-topics for the rating system, for plot, characterization, language, etc? What other sub-topics would you need? What value or importance gets lost in a five-star scale? Design a scale that would be better for this book.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)