|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Simon accused of?
2. Where is Edward trapped?
3. With whom does Simon have a falling out?
4. What happens to Simon's reputation after his death?
5. Under what condition does Simon say he will leave his post?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the defeat of Simon's army at Evesham.
2. What problems does Simon encounter after subduing King Henry?
3. Under what condition does Simon ultimately quit Gascony?
4. What is the outcome of Owain and Davydd's fight for Gwynedd?
5. What is Simon's defense to the lords' accusations?
6. How does is Edward treated when he is trapped him at Gloucester Castle?
7. What are the conditions Simon imposes on King Henry when he triumphs over him?
8. How is Simon's army nearly wiped out?
9. How does Edward raise an army?
10. How does Simon's defeat affect Llewelyn and Nell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of Falls the Shadow. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
Nell is Henry's sister, and Simon de Montfort's wife--what is her role in the opposition between the two men? What makes their differences so great that even being in-laws cannot resolve them? What role does the idea of family have, in their opposition?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of Falls the Shadow--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)