|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simon have the chance to do, but turns it down?
2. Under what condition does Simon say he will leave his post?
3. What have Henry's barons been trying to convince him to do?
4. What does Edward end up with after fighting Bran's army?
5. What does Davydd hope he can do in Wales?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem have the Lusignan confronted King Henry with?
2. What problems does Simon encounter after subduing King Henry?
3. Describe the fight that leads to Henry's surrender.
4. Why doesn't Nell de Montfort turn over castles as required by treaty, and what happens to resolve this issue?
5. What happens to Simon's body after death?
6. What is going on in Wales as the tensions escalate between King Henry and Simon over the Oxford Provisions?
7. Why do Owain and Davydd invade Gwynedd?
8. What is the outcome of Owain and Davydd's fight for Gwynedd?
9. How does Edward raise an army?
10. Describe the defeat of Simon's army at Evesham.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would you recommend Falls the Shadow? For what purposes would you recommend Falls the Shadow, and what kinds of readers would you recommend it for? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is the heart of Falls the Shadow for Penman? Is it the medieval lifestyle? The political struggle? The warfare? The emergence of an effective government from the monarchical government?
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)