|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Simon's reputation after his death?
2. What do Simon and his knights do after they get Henry's letter?
3. What do Nell and Richard try to convince Guy de Lusignan to do?
4. What is the outcome of the meeting with Henry and his barons?
5. What sparks a battle between Simon's army and Edward's?
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is this book relevant to contemporary readers? What contemporary issues are in play in the book, and how would the book contribute to contemporary discussion? Cite specific discussions from contemporary sources, and cite specific instances from the book, that describe its contemporary relevance.
Essay Topic 2
How would this book be different if it followed the lives of the women? What is lost--and what is gained--by focusing on the men?
Essay Topic 3
Using specific instances from the text, explain the symbolism of the book's title. What is the shadow, and where does it fall? What effect does the title have on the book? How does is guide the reader's expectations? How does the book work against the title?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)