|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is almost trapped when Londoners lock the drawbridge in the up position?
2. What is the king's response to the complaints made about Simon?
3. How is Simon's leg broken?
4. Who is the head of the barons who are frustrated by the Lusignans?
5. Why does Henry want to stop at Evesham?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is going on in Wales as the tensions escalate between King Henry and Simon over the Oxford Provisions?
2. What is Simon's role in the controversy over the Lusignans?
3. What is the outcome of Owain and Davydd's fight for Gwynedd?
4. Under what condition does Simon ultimately quit Gascony?
5. How does Simon's defeat affect Llewelyn and Nell?
6. What is Simon de Montfort accused of by the lords of Gascony?
7. Why doesn't Nell de Montfort turn over castles as required by treaty, and what happens to resolve this issue?
8. Why do Owain and Davydd invade Gwynedd?
9. What do the Oxford Provisions change?
10. Describe the fight that leads to Henry's surrender.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would this book be different if it followed the lives of the women? What is lost--and what is gained--by focusing on the men?
Essay Topic 2
Would you recommend Falls the Shadow? For what purposes would you recommend Falls the Shadow, and what kinds of readers would you recommend it for? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 3
Nell is Henry's sister, and Simon de Montfort's wife--what is her role in the opposition between the two men? What makes their differences so great that even being in-laws cannot resolve them? What role does the idea of family have, in their opposition?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)