|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Parliament struggle to determine?
2. What is the result of the debate over Simon?
3. What does Henry tell Simon in his letter?
4. With whom does Simon have a falling out?
5. What does Davydd hope he can do in Wales?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the destruction of Bran de Montfort's army at Kenilworth.
2. What do the Oxford Provisions change?
3. What is Simon de Montfort accused of by the lords of Gascony?
4. What problems does Simon encounter after subduing King Henry?
5. How does Simon's defeat affect Llewelyn and Nell?
6. How is Simon's army nearly wiped out?
7. Describe the defeat of Simon's army at Evesham.
8. What judgment is made in the case?
9. What happens to Simon's body after death?
10. What is going on in Wales as the tensions escalate between King Henry and Simon over the Oxford Provisions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would you recommend Falls the Shadow? For what purposes would you recommend Falls the Shadow, and what kinds of readers would you recommend it for? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the family dramas of Llewelyn and Gruffydd and the drama of Simon's opposition to Henry. How are they similar? How are they different? How does the book reconcile the two dramas?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between historical fiction and narrative fiction that is not grounded in historical fact? How do fiction and history complement each other or counteract each other in Falls the Shadow?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)