|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simon do with the organization he builds?
2. Why does Harry de Montfort let Edward go?
3. Why can Henry not raise an army of his own?
4. What is the result of the debate over Simon?
5. Who is the head of the barons who are frustrated by the Lusignans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what condition does Simon ultimately quit Gascony?
2. What is Henry's response to Simon's attempts to enforce the Oxford Provisions?
3. What are the conditions Simon imposes on King Henry when he triumphs over him?
4. How is Simon's army nearly wiped out?
5. Why doesn't Nell de Montfort turn over castles as required by treaty, and what happens to resolve this issue?
6. What complications are caused by King Louis' mediation?
7. How does Simon's defeat affect Llewelyn and Nell?
8. What problems does Simon confront after his victory over Henry?
9. What is Simon's role in the controversy over the Lusignans?
10. Describe the fight that leads to Henry's surrender.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is the heart of Falls the Shadow for Penman? Is it the medieval lifestyle? The political struggle? The warfare? The emergence of an effective government from the monarchical government?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between historical fiction and narrative fiction that is not grounded in historical fact? How do fiction and history complement each other or counteract each other in Falls the Shadow?
Essay Topic 3
Using specific instances from the text, explain the symbolism of the book's title. What is the shadow, and where does it fall? What effect does the title have on the book? How does is guide the reader's expectations? How does the book work against the title?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)