|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Llewelyn agree to do, at the end of Chapter 23?
2. What is the outcome of the meeting with Henry and his barons?
3. How does Edward get into Northampton to attack Simon's army?
4. Why is Henry in the Tower of London?
5. Why is Simon called to England again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What judgment is made in the case?
2. What brings Simon to renounce his loyalty to King Henry?
3. Describe the defeat of Simon's army at Evesham.
4. What do the Oxford Provisions change?
5. Describe the destruction of Bran de Montfort's army at Kenilworth.
6. Describe the fight that leads to Henry's surrender.
7. What are the conditions Simon imposes on King Henry when he triumphs over him?
8. Why doesn't Nell de Montfort turn over castles as required by treaty, and what happens to resolve this issue?
9. What is going on in Wales as the tensions escalate between King Henry and Simon over the Oxford Provisions?
10. Under what condition does Simon ultimately quit Gascony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of Falls the Shadow--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
What traits are specifically English, in Falls the Shadow? How are those traits defined in relation to France and Wales?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)