|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of trouble is King Henry having at the beginning of Chapter 19?
2. How does Bran de Montfort squash Edward's escape attempt?
3. What argument is made in answer to the complaints?
4. Why is Simon called to England again?
5. What does Simon have to do after the victory over Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edward raise an army?
2. What is Simon's defense to the lords' accusations?
3. What is Edward's role in the opposition between Simon and King Henry?
4. Describe the destruction of Bran de Montfort's army at Kenilworth.
5. What is the outcome of Owain and Davydd's fight for Gwynedd?
6. What problems does Simon encounter after subduing King Henry?
7. Under what condition does Simon ultimately quit Gascony?
8. Describe the fight that leads to Henry's surrender.
9. How is Simon's army nearly wiped out?
10. What is going on in Wales as the tensions escalate between King Henry and Simon over the Oxford Provisions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of Falls the Shadow--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
Use this book as a meditation on the value of a five-star rating system. Is a five-star system sufficient to a book like this? Would you need to have sub-topics for the rating system, for plot, characterization, language, etc? What other sub-topics would you need? What value or importance gets lost in a five-star scale? Design a scale that would be better for this book.
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)