|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Edward trapped?
2. Who is the head of the barons who are frustrated by the Lusignans?
3. What happens in the first wave of the attack?
4. How does Simon's army attempt to escape?
5. What argument is made in answer to the complaints?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem have the Lusignan confronted King Henry with?
2. What is Simon de Montfort accused of by the lords of Gascony?
3. Describe the fight that leads to Henry's surrender.
4. How is Simon's army nearly wiped out?
5. What is Edward's role in the opposition between Simon and King Henry?
6. How does Edward raise an army?
7. What do the Oxford Provisions change?
8. What problems does Simon encounter after subduing King Henry?
9. What brings Simon to renounce his loyalty to King Henry?
10. What is Simon's role in the controversy over the Lusignans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of Falls the Shadow--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
If you were to change Falls the Shadow, or write another work on the same topic, what would you do differently? What events would you cover in more detail? How would you tell this story differently yourself?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)