|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nell do for Elen's children?
2. What is the outcome of the meeting with Henry and his barons?
3. What does Davydd hope he can do in Wales?
4. How does the falling out affect Edward?
5. Who is almost trapped when Londoners lock the drawbridge in the up position?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight that leads to Henry's surrender.
2. What are the conditions Simon imposes on King Henry when he triumphs over him?
3. How is Simon's army nearly wiped out?
4. What is Henry's response to Simon's attempts to enforce the Oxford Provisions?
5. What brings Simon to renounce his loyalty to King Henry?
6. Under what condition does Simon ultimately quit Gascony?
7. How does Simon's defeat affect Llewelyn and Nell?
8. Why doesn't Nell de Montfort turn over castles as required by treaty, and what happens to resolve this issue?
9. What is Edward's role in the opposition between Simon and King Henry?
10. What is going on in Wales as the tensions escalate between King Henry and Simon over the Oxford Provisions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the hero of Falls the Shadow? Is there one distinct hero? What other characters are competing for that position? What does it mean to be a hero in Falls the Shadow?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)