|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what condition does Simon say he will leave his post?
2. What have the Lusignans been doing, when Nell and Richard approach them?
3. What does Simon have to do after the victory over Henry?
4. Where does Edward join King Henry?
5. What does Nell do for Elen's children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Oxford Provisions change?
2. What brings Simon to renounce his loyalty to King Henry?
3. What is Henry's response to Simon's attempts to enforce the Oxford Provisions?
4. What is Edward's role in the opposition between Simon and King Henry?
5. How does is Edward treated when he is trapped him at Gloucester Castle?
6. What is going on in Wales as the tensions escalate between King Henry and Simon over the Oxford Provisions?
7. What is Simon's role in the controversy over the Lusignans?
8. Why do Owain and Davydd invade Gwynedd?
9. What problems does Simon encounter after subduing King Henry?
10. How does Simon's defeat affect Llewelyn and Nell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between historical fiction and narrative fiction that is not grounded in historical fact? How do fiction and history complement each other or counteract each other in Falls the Shadow?
Essay Topic 2
Would you recommend Falls the Shadow? For what purposes would you recommend Falls the Shadow, and what kinds of readers would you recommend it for? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 3
Nell is Henry's sister, and Simon de Montfort's wife--what is her role in the opposition between the two men? What makes their differences so great that even being in-laws cannot resolve them? What role does the idea of family have, in their opposition?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)