|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the outcome of the meeting with Henry and his barons?
2. What is the result of Simon's plan to escape?
3. How does Edward get into Northampton to attack Simon's army?
4. What does Simon assemble in 1263?
5. What do Nell and Richard try to convince Guy de Lusignan to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the outcome of Owain and Davydd's fight for Gwynedd?
2. What is Edward's role in the opposition between Simon and King Henry?
3. Why do Owain and Davydd invade Gwynedd?
4. What judgment is made in the case?
5. How does is Edward treated when he is trapped him at Gloucester Castle?
6. Describe the fight that leads to Henry's surrender.
7. What is going on in Wales as the tensions escalate between King Henry and Simon over the Oxford Provisions?
8. What is Henry's response to Simon's attempts to enforce the Oxford Provisions?
9. What complications are caused by King Louis' mediation?
10. How is Simon's army nearly wiped out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nell is Henry's sister, and Simon de Montfort's wife--what is her role in the opposition between the two men? What makes their differences so great that even being in-laws cannot resolve them? What role does the idea of family have, in their opposition?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
How would this book be different if it followed the lives of the women? What is lost--and what is gained--by focusing on the men?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)