|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Parliament struggle to determine?
2. How does Nell react to the death of her husband?
3. What does Llewelyn want Davydd to see?
4. What do Davydd and Owain want to gain by invading Gwynedd?
5. What did the Oxford Provisions prohibit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edward raise an army?
2. What are the conditions Simon imposes on King Henry when he triumphs over him?
3. How is Simon's army nearly wiped out?
4. What is the outcome of Owain and Davydd's fight for Gwynedd?
5. What problem have the Lusignan confronted King Henry with?
6. What problems does Simon encounter after subduing King Henry?
7. What is Henry's response to Simon's attempts to enforce the Oxford Provisions?
8. What is Edward's role in the opposition between Simon and King Henry?
9. Under what condition does Simon ultimately quit Gascony?
10. Describe the destruction of Bran de Montfort's army at Kenilworth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nell is Henry's sister, and Simon de Montfort's wife--what is her role in the opposition between the two men? What makes their differences so great that even being in-laws cannot resolve them? What role does the idea of family have, in their opposition?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using specific instances from the text, explain the symbolism of the book's title. What is the shadow, and where does it fall? What effect does the title have on the book? How does is guide the reader's expectations? How does the book work against the title?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)