|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What additional oversight will the government be subjected to, as a result of the Oxford Provisions?
2. How does Edward learn that Bran's army is exposed?
3. What does Simon do with the organization he builds?
4. What does his trouble impinge upon?
5. What sparks a battle between Simon's army and Edward's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight that leads to Henry's surrender.
2. How does Edward raise an army?
3. What problem have the Lusignan confronted King Henry with?
4. What judgment is made in the case?
5. What is Henry's response to Simon's attempts to enforce the Oxford Provisions?
6. How does is Edward treated when he is trapped him at Gloucester Castle?
7. What do the Oxford Provisions change?
8. What is going on in Wales as the tensions escalate between King Henry and Simon over the Oxford Provisions?
9. Describe the destruction of Bran de Montfort's army at Kenilworth.
10. Under what condition does Simon ultimately quit Gascony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 2
One of the challenges in historical fiction is to relate the general sweep of history in a way that retains the feeling of personal experience for the people involved in that history. How does Sharon Kay Penman manage to keep the personal and the historical within sight of each other? Use specific instances from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)