|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Gruffydd and Owain in the surrender?
2. Who does Simon de Montfort visit at the beginning of Falls the Shadow?
3. What consequence is Elen warned she will suffer?
4. What was Senena going to provide for Gruffydd and Owain's escape?
5. Why are Gruffydd and Senena asked to leave the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Davydd's war with Senena and her supporters.
2. How does Davydd capture Gruffydd and Owain?
3. How does King Henry respond when it becomes clear that his sister is not pregnant?
4. What does Davydd give up when he surrenders to King Henry?
5. Who are Llelo's parents, and what status does this give him?
6. What happens when Davydd dies?
7. Why is Henry unhappy about Nell's marriage to Simon?
8. What is Llewelyn's response to Johanna's death?
9. Describe the courtship of Nell and Simon de Montfort.
10. What happens to Llelo when Senena attempts to rescue her husband and son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the hero of Falls the Shadow? Is there one distinct hero? What other characters are competing for that position? What does it mean to be a hero in Falls the Shadow?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
If you were to change Falls the Shadow, or write another work on the same topic, what would you do differently? What events would you cover in more detail? How would you tell this story differently yourself?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)