|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gruffydd's response when he hears that his father is dying?
2. What does she want by this opposition?
3. What is Simon de Montfort's intention toward Nell?
4. What comes of Llelo's fear?
5. How does Gruffydd die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Davydd's treatment after he surrenders to King Henry.
2. Describe Davydd's war with Senena and her supporters.
3. Why is Nell concerned when she is in Sicily, waiting for her husband?
4. Describe the courtship of Nell and Simon de Montfort.
5. How does King Henry respond when it becomes clear that his sister is not pregnant?
6. What position does the king give Simon de Montfort after Llewelyn and Owain's surrender?
7. Why is Henry unhappy about Nell's marriage to Simon?
8. What is Gruffydd preparing to fight for, and how do his preparations affect Davydd's plans?
9. How does Davydd capture Gruffydd and Owain?
10. What does Davydd give up when he surrenders to King Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
Use this book as a meditation on the value of a five-star rating system. Is a five-star system sufficient to a book like this? Would you need to have sub-topics for the rating system, for plot, characterization, language, etc? What other sub-topics would you need? What value or importance gets lost in a five-star scale? Design a scale that would be better for this book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the family dramas of Llewelyn and Gruffydd and the drama of Simon's opposition to Henry. How are they similar? How are they different? How does the book reconcile the two dramas?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)