|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Llewelyn Fawr build at Llanfaes?
2. What does Gruffydd tell his father he is happy about?
3. Why does Davydd come to London?
4. What comes of Llelo's fear?
5. Where is Gruffydd's father dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Henry unhappy about Nell's marriage to Simon?
2. Describe Johanna's death.
3. What is the consequence of Henry's war with the French?
4. What happens when Llewelyn's health begins to deteriorate?
5. How does Gruffydd lose his land?
6. What is Simon de Montfort's effect on John the Scot's household?
7. What happens to Llelo when Senena attempts to rescue her husband and son?
8. Describe Simon's experience fighting with Henry against the French.
9. How does the relationship between Gruffydd and Llewelyn change in Chapter 3?
10. What position does the king give Simon de Montfort after Llewelyn and Owain's surrender?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the hero of Falls the Shadow? Is there one distinct hero? What other characters are competing for that position? What does it mean to be a hero in Falls the Shadow?
Essay Topic 2
What tradeoffs would have been required for the Oxford Provisions to have taken effect? If there is a lesson in the war Simon waged to enforce them, what is it?
Essay Topic 3
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Oxford Provisions? Who benefited by their implementation? Whose power was curtailed? Was it a step forward? Cite evidence from the novel to argue one way or the other.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)