|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What consequence is Elen warned she will suffer?
2. What does Elen hear Gruffydd is planning, when she gets to Gloucester?
3. Why does Davydd come to London?
4. How does Gruffydd shame his brother?
5. What does Gruffydd make his son do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does is Edward treated when he is trapped him at Gloucester Castle?
2. What problems does Simon encounter after subduing King Henry?
3. What happens to Llelo when Senena attempts to rescue her husband and son?
4. What does Llelo see that he is not supposed to see, and what does his father make him do?
5. How is Simon's army nearly wiped out?
6. Describe the destruction of Bran de Montfort's army at Kenilworth.
7. What is Llewelyn's response to Johanna's death?
8. What brings Simon to renounce his loyalty to King Henry?
9. Describe Nell and Ellen's situation after Simon's death.
10. What is going on in Wales as the tensions escalate between King Henry and Simon over the Oxford Provisions?
Essay Topic 1
Using specific instances from the text, explain the symbolism of the book's title. What is the shadow, and where does it fall? What effect does the title have on the book? How does is guide the reader's expectations? How does the book work against the title?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the hero of Falls the Shadow? Is there one distinct hero? What other characters are competing for that position? What does it mean to be a hero in Falls the Shadow?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)