|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Simon de Montfort visit at the beginning of Falls the Shadow?
2. What do the English lose in battle?
3. What does Elen learn during Gruffydd's visit to Mon?
4. What was Senena going to provide for Gruffydd and Owain's escape?
5. How is Henry's war with France seen by the people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Llelo's relationship with his grandfather a secret?
2. What happens when Davydd dies?
3. How does Davydd capture Gruffydd and Owain?
4. How does Elen react to John the Scot's death?
5. What is Gruffydd preparing to fight for, and how do his preparations affect Davydd's plans?
6. What happens when Simon de Montfort returns to Henry's court?
7. Describe Simon's experience fighting with Henry against the French.
8. What does Davydd give up when he surrenders to King Henry?
9. What position does the king give Simon de Montfort after Llewelyn and Owain's surrender?
10. Describe the 1245 war between England and Wales.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the challenges in historical fiction is to relate the general sweep of history in a way that retains the feeling of personal experience for the people involved in that history. How does Sharon Kay Penman manage to keep the personal and the historical within sight of each other? Use specific instances from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Would you recommend Falls the Shadow? For what purposes would you recommend Falls the Shadow, and what kinds of readers would you recommend it for? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 3
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Oxford Provisions? Who benefited by their implementation? Whose power was curtailed? Was it a step forward? Cite evidence from the novel to argue one way or the other.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)