|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Simon de Montfort finds Nell's bedchamber?
2. Who is Nell?
3. Who is missing from Llewelyn's deathbed?
4. Who does Llewelyn agree to help in this conflict?
5. How does Llewelyn Fawr's decision to build at Llanfaes affect his son Gruffydd?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does King Henry respond when it becomes clear that his sister is not pregnant?
2. Who attends Llewelyn and Owain's surrender to King Henry?
3. What happens when Simon de Montfort returns to Henry's court?
4. Describe Simon's experience fighting with Henry against the French.
5. How does Elen react to John the Scot's death?
6. Describe Davydd's treatment after he surrenders to King Henry.
7. What does Llelo talk about with his grandfather?
8. What is Gruffydd preparing to fight for, and how do his preparations affect Davydd's plans?
9. Why is Henry unhappy about Nell's marriage to Simon?
10. Describe Davydd's war with Senena and her supporters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is the heart of Falls the Shadow for Penman? Is it the medieval lifestyle? The political struggle? The warfare? The emergence of an effective government from the monarchical government?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the hero of Falls the Shadow? Is there one distinct hero? What other characters are competing for that position? What does it mean to be a hero in Falls the Shadow?
Essay Topic 3
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Oxford Provisions? Who benefited by their implementation? Whose power was curtailed? Was it a step forward? Cite evidence from the novel to argue one way or the other.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)