|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is missing from Llewelyn's deathbed?
2. What does Gruffydd tell his father he is happy about?
3. How is Henry's war with France seen by the people?
4. What do the Welsh offer after the English attack?
5. Who does Simon de Montfort visit at the beginning of Falls the Shadow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the 1245 war between England and Wales.
2. How does King Henry respond when it becomes clear that his sister is not pregnant?
3. What does Davydd give up when he surrenders to King Henry?
4. What happens to Llelo when Senena attempts to rescue her husband and son?
5. What happens when Davydd dies?
6. What is Llewelyn's response to Johanna's death?
7. What is Simon de Montfort's effect on John the Scot's household?
8. How does Elen react to John the Scot's death?
9. What happens when Llewelyn's health begins to deteriorate?
10. Describe Davydd's treatment after he surrenders to King Henry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the family dramas of Llewelyn and Gruffydd and the drama of Simon's opposition to Henry. How are they similar? How are they different? How does the book reconcile the two dramas?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)