|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Melangell?
2. How does Gruffydd die?
3. Where do Elen and Nell go together?
4. What do Gruffydd and Owain plan to use for escape?
5. What is Nell afraid for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does King Henry respond when it becomes clear that his sister is not pregnant?
2. What happens when Llewelyn's health begins to deteriorate?
3. Who are Llelo's parents, and what status does this give him?
4. What does Davydd give up when he surrenders to King Henry?
5. How does Elen react to John the Scot's death?
6. What happens to Llelo when Senena attempts to rescue her husband and son?
7. How does Gruffydd lose his land?
8. Describe the 1245 war between England and Wales.
9. Describe the courtship of Nell and Simon de Montfort.
10. What is Gruffydd preparing to fight for, and how do his preparations affect Davydd's plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What traits are specifically English, in Falls the Shadow? How are those traits defined in relation to France and Wales?
Essay Topic 2
What tradeoffs would have been required for the Oxford Provisions to have taken effect? If there is a lesson in the war Simon waged to enforce them, what is it?
Essay Topic 3
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Oxford Provisions? Who benefited by their implementation? Whose power was curtailed? Was it a step forward? Cite evidence from the novel to argue one way or the other.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)