|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Henry's war with France seen by the people?
2. What does Henry do to punish Simon and Nell?
3. What happens to Gruffydd and Owain in the surrender?
4. Who surrenders to King Henry?
5. What do the Welsh offer after the English attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gruffydd preparing to fight for, and how do his preparations affect Davydd's plans?
2. What is Edward's role in the opposition between Simon and King Henry?
3. How is Simon's army nearly wiped out?
4. Describe Davydd's treatment after he surrenders to King Henry.
5. Why do Owain and Davydd invade Gwynedd?
6. What problems does Simon encounter after subduing King Henry?
7. What complications are caused by King Louis' mediation?
8. Describe the fight that leads to Henry's surrender.
9. What are the conditions Simon imposes on King Henry when he triumphs over him?
10. How does Simon's defeat affect Llewelyn and Nell?
Essay Topic 1
How would this book be different if it followed the lives of the women? What is lost--and what is gained--by focusing on the men?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the family dramas of Llewelyn and Gruffydd and the drama of Simon's opposition to Henry. How are they similar? How are they different? How does the book reconcile the two dramas?
Essay Topic 3
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Oxford Provisions? Who benefited by their implementation? Whose power was curtailed? Was it a step forward? Cite evidence from the novel to argue one way or the other.
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)