|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Melangell?
2. When did Llelo spend a lot of time with his grandfather?
3. What vow has Nell taken?
4. For how long have England and Wales been at war at the beginning of Chapter 16?
5. What happens when Simon de Montfort finds Nell's bedchamber?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Davydd's war with Senena and her supporters.
2. Why does Henry go to war with France?
3. What is Simon de Montfort's effect on John the Scot's household?
4. How does Gruffydd lose his land?
5. What does Llelo see that he is not supposed to see, and what does his father make him do?
6. What position does the king give Simon de Montfort after Llewelyn and Owain's surrender?
7. What is Gruffydd preparing to fight for, and how do his preparations affect Davydd's plans?
8. What does Davydd give up when he surrenders to King Henry?
9. Describe Davydd's treatment after he surrenders to King Henry.
10. How does Davydd capture Gruffydd and Owain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What tradeoffs would have been required for the Oxford Provisions to have taken effect? If there is a lesson in the war Simon waged to enforce them, what is it?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the family dramas of Llewelyn and Gruffydd and the drama of Simon's opposition to Henry. How are they similar? How are they different? How does the book reconcile the two dramas?
Essay Topic 3
Use this book as a meditation on the value of a five-star rating system. Is a five-star system sufficient to a book like this? Would you need to have sub-topics for the rating system, for plot, characterization, language, etc? What other sub-topics would you need? What value or importance gets lost in a five-star scale? Design a scale that would be better for this book.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)