|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Falls the Shadow begin?
2. What does Senena use to rescue Gruffydd and Owain?
3. What has Davydd done to Gruffydd and Owain?
4. What does Llelo overhear in the garden?
5. What is Gruffydd's response when he hears that his father is dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Simon de Montfort's effect on John the Scot's household?
2. What does Llelo talk about with his grandfather?
3. Why is Henry unhappy about Nell's marriage to Simon?
4. How does King Henry respond when it becomes clear that his sister is not pregnant?
5. What happens when Gruffydd and Owain try to escape from captivity?
6. What happens when Llewelyn's health begins to deteriorate?
7. Describe Simon's experience fighting with Henry against the French.
8. What happens when Davydd dies?
9. Who are Llelo's parents, and what status does this give him?
10. What happens to Llelo when Senena attempts to rescue her husband and son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use this book as a meditation on the value of a five-star rating system. Is a five-star system sufficient to a book like this? Would you need to have sub-topics for the rating system, for plot, characterization, language, etc? What other sub-topics would you need? What value or importance gets lost in a five-star scale? Design a scale that would be better for this book.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific instances from the text, explain the symbolism of the book's title. What is the shadow, and where does it fall? What effect does the title have on the book? How does is guide the reader's expectations? How does the book work against the title?
Essay Topic 3
Nell is Henry's sister, and Simon de Montfort's wife--what is her role in the opposition between the two men? What makes their differences so great that even being in-laws cannot resolve them? What role does the idea of family have, in their opposition?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)