|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Simon powerless to stop?
2. What do the Welsh offer after the English attack?
3. What is Llelo afraid of at the beginning of chapter 3?
4. When did Llelo spend a lot of time with his grandfather?
5. What does England gain as part of the surrender?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Llewelyn's response to Johanna's death?
2. How does King Henry respond when it becomes clear that his sister is not pregnant?
3. Who are Llelo's parents, and what status does this give him?
4. What does Llelo talk about with his grandfather?
5. Why is Llelo's relationship with his grandfather a secret?
6. Why does Henry go to war with France?
7. How does Davydd capture Gruffydd and Owain?
8. Describe Simon's experience fighting with Henry against the French.
9. How does Gruffydd lose his land?
10. What position does the king give Simon de Montfort after Llewelyn and Owain's surrender?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is this book relevant to contemporary readers? What contemporary issues are in play in the book, and how would the book contribute to contemporary discussion? Cite specific discussions from contemporary sources, and cite specific instances from the book, that describe its contemporary relevance.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the family dramas of Llewelyn and Gruffydd and the drama of Simon's opposition to Henry. How are they similar? How are they different? How does the book reconcile the two dramas?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the hero of Falls the Shadow? Is there one distinct hero? What other characters are competing for that position? What does it mean to be a hero in Falls the Shadow?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)