|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Falls the Shadow begin?
2. What are Elen's feelings on her husband's death?
3. What is the consequence of Henry's war with France?
4. How does Llewelyn Fawr's decision to build at Llanfaes affect his son Gruffydd?
5. What happens when Simon de Montfort finds Nell's bedchamber?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight that leads to Henry's surrender.
2. What problems does Simon confront after his victory over Henry?
3. Who are Llelo's parents, and what status does this give him?
4. Why is Llelo's relationship with his grandfather a secret?
5. What is the outcome of Owain and Davydd's fight for Gwynedd?
6. What does Davydd give up when he surrenders to King Henry?
7. What happens when Davydd dies?
8. How does Gruffydd lose his land?
9. What is Simon de Montfort's effect on John the Scot's household?
10. What happens to Simon's body after death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is the heart of Falls the Shadow for Penman? Is it the medieval lifestyle? The political struggle? The warfare? The emergence of an effective government from the monarchical government?
Essay Topic 2
What traits are specifically English, in Falls the Shadow? How are those traits defined in relation to France and Wales?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)