|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gruffydd shame his brother?
2. What does Simon de Montfort ask for?
3. What is Simon de Montfort's intention toward Nell?
4. Where have Gruffydd and Owain been taken?
5. What do the English lose in battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nell concerned when she is in Sicily, waiting for her husband?
2. Describe Johanna's death.
3. Describe the courtship of Nell and Simon de Montfort.
4. How does Gruffydd lose his land?
5. What is Simon de Montfort's effect on John the Scot's household?
6. What is the consequence of Henry's war with the French?
7. Why is Henry unhappy about Nell's marriage to Simon?
8. Describe Davydd's war with Senena and her supporters.
9. How does Davydd capture Gruffydd and Owain?
10. What happens when Gruffydd and Owain try to escape from captivity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Would you recommend Falls the Shadow? For what purposes would you recommend Falls the Shadow, and what kinds of readers would you recommend it for? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of Falls the Shadow. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)