|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Simon de Montfort finds Nell's bedchamber?
2. Why are Gruffydd and Senena asked to leave the castle?
3. Who is missing from Llewelyn's deathbed?
4. What is Nell waiting for at the beginning of Chapter 13?
5. Who is Melangell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nell concerned when she is in Sicily, waiting for her husband?
2. What happens to Llelo when Senena attempts to rescue her husband and son?
3. How does Elen react to John the Scot's death?
4. Describe Johanna's death.
5. How does King Henry respond when it becomes clear that his sister is not pregnant?
6. What is Llewelyn's response to Johanna's death?
7. What happens when Davydd dies?
8. What position does the king give Simon de Montfort after Llewelyn and Owain's surrender?
9. Describe the courtship of Nell and Simon de Montfort.
10. What is Simon de Montfort's effect on John the Scot's household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of Falls the Shadow. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Oxford Provisions? Who benefited by their implementation? Whose power was curtailed? Was it a step forward? Cite evidence from the novel to argue one way or the other.
Essay Topic 3
What traits are specifically English, in Falls the Shadow? How are those traits defined in relation to France and Wales?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)