|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have Gruffydd and Owain been taken?
2. Where do Elen and Nell go together?
3. What consequence is Elen warned she will suffer?
4. Why does Davydd come to London?
5. Under what condition would Gwynedd pass to the English crown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Gruffydd and Owain try to escape from captivity?
2. What is Simon de Montfort's effect on John the Scot's household?
3. Describe the 1245 war between England and Wales.
4. What does Davydd give up when he surrenders to King Henry?
5. Describe the courtship of Nell and Simon de Montfort.
6. Describe Davydd's war with Senena and her supporters.
7. Who are Llelo's parents, and what status does this give him?
8. Describe Simon's experience fighting with Henry against the French.
9. What happens to Llelo when Senena attempts to rescue her husband and son?
10. What happens when Llewelyn's health begins to deteriorate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the hero of Falls the Shadow? Is there one distinct hero? What other characters are competing for that position? What does it mean to be a hero in Falls the Shadow?
Essay Topic 2
How would this book be different if it followed the lives of the women? What is lost--and what is gained--by focusing on the men?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between historical fiction and narrative fiction that is not grounded in historical fact? How do fiction and history complement each other or counteract each other in Falls the Shadow?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)