|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Falls the Shadow lie in relation to the other books in the series?
2. Where have Gruffydd and Owain been taken?
3. What does Henry accuse Simon of?
4. What does Llelo want in his father's chamber?
5. What vow has Nell taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Simon's army nearly wiped out?
2. What is Gruffydd preparing to fight for, and how do his preparations affect Davydd's plans?
3. What happens when Gruffydd and Owain try to escape from captivity?
4. How does Elen react to John the Scot's death?
5. How does Davydd capture Gruffydd and Owain?
6. Why is Llelo's relationship with his grandfather a secret?
7. What happens when Davydd dies?
8. Describe the defeat of Simon's army at Evesham.
9. Under what condition does Simon ultimately quit Gascony?
10. What does Davydd give up when he surrenders to King Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is this book relevant to contemporary readers? What contemporary issues are in play in the book, and how would the book contribute to contemporary discussion? Cite specific discussions from contemporary sources, and cite specific instances from the book, that describe its contemporary relevance.
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the hero of Falls the Shadow? Is there one distinct hero? What other characters are competing for that position? What does it mean to be a hero in Falls the Shadow?
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)