|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the king treat his captive?
2. What are Elen's feelings on her husband's death?
3. Who prevented Henry from imprisoning Simon and Nell?
4. What does Elen learn during Gruffydd's visit to Mon?
5. What was Senena going to provide for Gruffydd and Owain's escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the 1245 war between England and Wales.
2. Describe the courtship of Nell and Simon de Montfort.
3. Who attends Llewelyn and Owain's surrender to King Henry?
4. How does King Henry respond when it becomes clear that his sister is not pregnant?
5. What is the consequence of Henry's war with the French?
6. What is Llewelyn's response to Johanna's death?
7. Describe Davydd's war with Senena and her supporters.
8. What is Simon de Montfort's effect on John the Scot's household?
9. Describe Simon's experience fighting with Henry against the French.
10. What happens when Gruffydd and Owain try to escape from captivity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of Falls the Shadow--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
What traits are specifically English, in Falls the Shadow? How are those traits defined in relation to France and Wales?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)