|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Davydd want from the English?
2. Where do Elen and Nell go together?
3. Who does Elen join at Gloucester?
4. How does Gruffydd shame his brother?
5. Why does Henry agree to let Nell marry Simon de Montfort?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Llelo see that he is not supposed to see, and what does his father make him do?
2. Describe Davydd's war with Senena and her supporters.
3. What does Davydd give up when he surrenders to King Henry?
4. Who are Llelo's parents, and what status does this give him?
5. Describe the 1245 war between England and Wales.
6. What is Simon de Montfort's effect on John the Scot's household?
7. What is Llewelyn's response to Johanna's death?
8. What does Llelo talk about with his grandfather?
9. Describe Simon's experience fighting with Henry against the French.
10. Describe Davydd's treatment after he surrenders to King Henry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the family dramas of Llewelyn and Gruffydd and the drama of Simon's opposition to Henry. How are they similar? How are they different? How does the book reconcile the two dramas?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of Falls the Shadow--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)