|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the king treat his captive?
2. What do the English lose in battle?
3. What is Nell afraid for?
4. What has Davydd done to Gruffydd and Owain?
5. For how long have England and Wales been at war at the beginning of Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Davydd's treatment after he surrenders to King Henry.
2. What does Llelo see that he is not supposed to see, and what does his father make him do?
3. How does King Henry respond when it becomes clear that his sister is not pregnant?
4. Why is Llelo's relationship with his grandfather a secret?
5. What happens when Davydd dies?
6. What happens when Gruffydd and Owain try to escape from captivity?
7. Describe Davydd's war with Senena and her supporters.
8. Why is Nell concerned when she is in Sicily, waiting for her husband?
9. What is the consequence of Henry's war with the French?
10. Describe Johanna's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would you recommend Falls the Shadow? For what purposes would you recommend Falls the Shadow, and what kinds of readers would you recommend it for? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between historical fiction and narrative fiction that is not grounded in historical fact? How do fiction and history complement each other or counteract each other in Falls the Shadow?
Essay Topic 3
Nell is Henry's sister, and Simon de Montfort's wife--what is her role in the opposition between the two men? What makes their differences so great that even being in-laws cannot resolve them? What role does the idea of family have, in their opposition?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)