|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose assistance will be used to fight Senena and her supporters?
2. Under what condition would Gwynedd pass to the English crown?
3. For how long have England and Wales been at war at the beginning of Chapter 16?
4. What news does Nell get of her sister?
5. What forces Owain to lie down when he goes with Davydd to Cricieth Castle to discuss a truce with Gruffydd?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Davydd capture Gruffydd and Owain?
2. What happens when Davydd dies?
3. How does King Henry respond when it becomes clear that his sister is not pregnant?
4. What happens to Llelo when Senena attempts to rescue her husband and son?
5. Describe Davydd's treatment after he surrenders to King Henry.
6. Who are Llelo's parents, and what status does this give him?
7. What happens when Llewelyn's health begins to deteriorate?
8. Why is Henry unhappy about Nell's marriage to Simon?
9. What happens when Gruffydd and Owain try to escape from captivity?
10. How does Elen react to John the Scot's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between historical fiction and narrative fiction that is not grounded in historical fact? How do fiction and history complement each other or counteract each other in Falls the Shadow?
Essay Topic 2
Nell is Henry's sister, and Simon de Montfort's wife--what is her role in the opposition between the two men? What makes their differences so great that even being in-laws cannot resolve them? What role does the idea of family have, in their opposition?
Essay Topic 3
If you were to change Falls the Shadow, or write another work on the same topic, what would you do differently? What events would you cover in more detail? How would you tell this story differently yourself?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)