|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Oxford Provisions prohibit?
(a) Foreign wars.
(b) Monarchical rule.
(c) Foreign-born lords in the king's circle.
(d) Executive privilege.
2. What are Edward's plans with regard to Wales?
3. What are the terms Simon give Henry in surrender?
(a) The Oxford Provisions.
(b) He decimates Henry's troops.
(c) He demands unconditional surrender.
(d) He lets Henry go without much by way of reparation.
4. What is the king's response to the complaints made about Simon?
(a) He sends a new seneschal to rule.
(b) He keeps Simon's children as hostages.
(c) He limits Simon's power.
(d) He leaves Simon in charge.
5. What does Nell do for Elen's children?
(a) Saves them from assassination attempts.
(b) Provides them with money, and political connections.
(c) Cares for them after Elen she dies.
(d) Helps them make good marriages.
6. What does Parliament struggle to determine?
(a) What powers Henry should have.
(b) Whether to abolish the monarchy.
(c) How to protect against an invasion from France.
(d) What to do about Wales.
7. What does Llewelyn agree to do, at the end of Chapter 23?
(a) Divide Wales.
(b) Free Davydd.
(c) Pursue his claim to power in England.
(d) Keep Owain as a hostage.
8. What is Simon accused of?
(b) Arresting people without trial.
(c) Draught and famine.
9. How does Bran de Montfort squash Edward's escape attempt?
(a) He threatens to catapult him over the castle wall.
(b) He wounds him.
(c) He takes Edward's family hostage.
(d) He chains him down.
10. Who mediates between King Henry and Simon de Montfort?
(a) King Louis.
(b) Bran de Montfort.
11. How does Nell de Montfort complicate a peace between England and France?
(a) By waging a war of her own against the English.
(b) By refusing to hand over some castles.
(c) By interrupting the negotiations.
(d) By paying taxes to neither crown.
12. What brings Nell back to England?
(a) Financial difficulties.
(b) Elen's pregnancy.
(c) Simon's political troubles.
13. Why is Bran's army outside the walls of Kenilworth?
(a) To enjoy the cool river.
(b) To betray them to Edward's army.
(c) To gather wood and food.
(d) To protect the inhabitants of the city.
14. With whom does Simon have a falling out?
(a) Earl of Gloucester.
(c) Bran de Montfort.
(d) Earl of Chester.
15. What do Davydd and Owain want to gain by invading Gwynedd?
(a) They want to rule Wales.
(b) They want to deliver Wales to England.
(c) They want to unify Wales against England.
(d) They want Llewelyn to split his lands between his brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of Simon's plan to escape?
2. What kind of trouble is King Henry having at the beginning of Chapter 19?
3. What is the result of the debate over Simon?
4. What does Llewelyn give Davydd?
5. What gives Simon cause to worry after his victory?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)