|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Edward get into Northampton to attack Simon's army?
(a) Inhabitants of the city defeated Simons army and then opened the gates.
(b) He batters down the walls.
(c) A monk weakened the wall.
(d) Simon thought he was letting him in for a negotiation.
2. Under what condition does Simon say he will leave his post?
(a) If Henry finds him a better position elsewhere.
(b) If Henry pays his debts.
(c) If Henry gives him an income.
(d) If Henry makes him a royal counselor.
3. Why can Henry not raise an army of his own?
(a) He has no money.
(b) None of his advisors will support it.
(c) He has lost his subjects' loyalty.
(d) He has had a stroke.
4. What are Edward's plans with regard to Wales?
5. What are the terms Simon give Henry in surrender?
(a) He decimates Henry's troops.
(b) The Oxford Provisions.
(c) He demands unconditional surrender.
(d) He lets Henry go without much by way of reparation.
6. How are Nell's issues handled?
(a) She is blockaded.
(b) She is imprisoned.
(c) She is paid the money she says she is owed.
(d) She is browbeaten with the threat of war.
7. What does Simon do with the organization he builds?
(a) Use it to spread the concept of universal rights on the Continent.
(b) War against those who will not follow the Oxford Provisions.
(c) Use it to build a system of patronage and protection.
(d) Undermine the Oxford Provisions.
8. What do Davydd and Owain want to gain by invading Gwynedd?
(a) They want to deliver Wales to England.
(b) They want to rule Wales.
(c) They want Llewelyn to split his lands between his brothers.
(d) They want to unify Wales against England.
9. What sparks a battle between Simon's army and Edward's?
(a) King Louis' judgment.
(b) The execution of political prisoners.
(c) A riot in London.
(d) Abuses by the king's tax collectors.
10. What does Edward end up with after fighting Bran's army?
(a) Power of England and France.
(b) The ability to protect Henry from the Barons.
(c) Their banners.
(d) Power to revoke the Oxford Provisions.
11. Who rescues the Queen from the attack?
(a) King Henry.
(c) King Louis.
(d) Thomas Fitz Thomas.
12. Who attacks the Queen?
13. What is the result of Simon's plan to escape?
(a) It fails and Simon surrenders to save the army.
(b) A standoff that lasts for months.
(c) Most of the army escapes.
(d) The army is slaughtered.
14. How does Bran de Montfort squash Edward's escape attempt?
(a) He wounds him.
(b) He threatens to catapult him over the castle wall.
(c) He chains him down.
(d) He takes Edward's family hostage.
15. What does Henry tell Simon in his letter?
(a) He wants a truce.
(b) He refuses a truce.
(c) He wants to negotiate.
(d) He wants Simon to surrender.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simon meet when he gets to London?
2. What does Davydd hope he can do in Wales?
3. Why is Henry in the Tower of London?
4. What does his trouble impinge upon?
5. How is Simon's leg broken?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)