|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the night of her aunt's wedding rehearsal, Autumn is almost unable to make it to the church for what reason?
2. Who has been ill since her aunt's wedding, causing Autumn to believe she has the same stomach flu?
3. Where do Summer and her boyfriend hope to live until they find jobs after running away from Summer's foster home?
4. What is the name of Autumn's dad in the novel?
5. Autumn has Thanksgiving dinner in what city in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Summer's experiences with each of her parents like on Thanksgiving in the novel? What does she discover about her family?
2. What is foreshadowed by Autumn's illness in the novel? Who suggests a potential cause for the illness?
3. How does Summer feel about her decision to run away from her foster home in the novel? Why?
4. What discussions does Hunter have with his adoptive parents after leaving Nikki in the novel? What does Hunter learn?
5. What major discoveries does Hunter gain from his two fathers in the novel? How do these discoveries change his character?
6. Who advises Hunter to let his obsession with his biological father go in the novel? What does he do instead?
7. Where does Autumn spend Thanksgiving dinner in the novel? How does she feel about this setting?
8. What risks does Autumn take in her first sexual encounter in the novel? What has led to this behavior?
9. Whom does Hunter move in with after leaving his parents' house in the novel? Why? What party does Hunter attend at this time?
10. What confrontations does Summer have with her mother and father after her father spends the weekend in jail in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Hunter's attraction to infidelity in the novel. Why is Hunter compelled to cheat, and how does this behavior mirror that of his mother? What effect does Hunter's infidelity have on his relationship with Nikki? In what ways is it seen as "addictive" behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the cycle of addiction in the novel. In what ways are the sins of the parents revisited on Kristina's children? Who shows tendencies for chemical dependency in the novel and in what ways? What are the underlying causes for these tendencies?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the differences between Summer's childhood and relationship with her parents from those of her siblings. How has Summer's exposure to her parents affected her interpersonal relationships with others? How does Summer feel about each of her parents?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)