|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Autumn invite over while Aunt Cora is gone looking for a wedding church in the novel?
2. By what name was Kristina going when she met Hunter's father?
3. What is an impulse control disorder characterized by the repeated urge to pick at one's own skin, often to the extent that damage is caused?
4. Autumn has Thanksgiving dinner at whose home in the novel?
5. Whom does Hunter move in with in the course of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What risks does Autumn take in her first sexual encounter in the novel? What has led to this behavior?
2. What stops Hunter from taking the pills at the "pharm party" in the novel? When does he take them?
3. Where do Summer and Kyle go after running away in the novel? What are their plans?
4. What leads Autumn to begin drinking in the novel? Where does this first show to be a problem?
5. What happens after Nikki discovers Hunter's infidelity in the novel? Where does Hunter move?
6. What does Trey tell Autumn about her childhood when he arrives at Aunt Cora's house after the wedding? What does this inspire Autumn to do?
7. What major discoveries does Hunter gain from his two fathers in the novel? How do these discoveries change his character?
8. Whom does Hunter move in with after leaving his parents' house in the novel? Why? What party does Hunter attend at this time?
9. Where does Autumn spend Thanksgiving dinner in the novel? How does she feel about this setting?
10. What is Hunter's reaction upon first seeing the man he believes to be his biological father in the novel? Where does this take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the theme of teenage pregnancy in the novel. How old was Kristina when she first gave birth? How is teenage pregnancy foreshadowed in both of Kristina's daughters in the narrative? How is teenage pregnancy related to the theme of responsibility?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the insecurity and isolation which plague Autumn in the novel. Why does Autumn feel incapable of being loved? How did her parents' actions contribute to Autumn's insecurity and inferiority complexes? How does she attempt to overcome them?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Summer's relationships with Ashante and Erica in the novel. How long does Summer live in the foster home with these girls? What leads up to Summer's violent confrontation with Erica? Who breaks up the confrontation and what is its effect on the family?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)