|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Summer argue with on the telephone on Thanksgiving?
2. What is the name of Autumn's grandmother who shows up the day of her aunt's wedding in the novel?
3. What were Hunter's parents taking when he was conceived?
4. Methamphetamine is FDA approved for the treatment of what conditions?
5. Whom does Hunter move in with in the course of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Trey tell Autumn about her childhood when he arrives at Aunt Cora's house after the wedding? What does this inspire Autumn to do?
2. Describe the day of Cora's wedding in the novel. Who arrives and what confrontations take place?
3. What stops Hunter from taking the pills at the "pharm party" in the novel? When does he take them?
4. What leads to the greatest increase in instability for Summer's character in the novel? How does she feel about her situation?
5. Where does Kyle spend Thanksgiving in the novel? How does Summer feel about his absence?
6. Where does Summer learn she will be going to stay with a new foster family after her dad spends a weekend in jail in the novel? What concerns does Summer have about the situation?
7. What major discoveries does Hunter gain from his two fathers in the novel? How do these discoveries change his character?
8. What does Hunter learn from Brendan about his past in the novel? How has Brendan changed?
9. What is the reader left wondering after Hunter's first interaction with his potential biological father in the novel?
10. What risks does Autumn take in her first sexual encounter in the novel? What has led to this behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Hunter's attraction to infidelity in the novel. Why is Hunter compelled to cheat, and how does this behavior mirror that of his mother? What effect does Hunter's infidelity have on his relationship with Nikki? In what ways is it seen as "addictive" behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of teenage pregnancy in the novel. How old was Kristina when she first gave birth? How is teenage pregnancy foreshadowed in both of Kristina's daughters in the narrative? How is teenage pregnancy related to the theme of responsibility?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of sexual abuse in the novel. Which characters have been abused and by whom? Who is to blame for the abuse that Kristina's children have suffered and why? In what ways did Kristina herself face sexual abuse?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)