|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an impulse control disorder characterized by the repeated urge to pick at one's own skin, often to the extent that damage is caused?
2. Kyle has to spend the day in what city on Thanksgiving?
3. What is a chronic cardiac condition in which the systemic arterial blood pressure is elevated?
4. Autumn has Thanksgiving dinner at whose home in the novel?
5. What refers to a perception in the absence of a stimulus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to the greatest increase in instability for Summer's character in the novel? How does she feel about her situation?
2. What risks does Autumn take in her first sexual encounter in the novel? What has led to this behavior?
3. What is Hunter's reaction upon first seeing the man he believes to be his biological father in the novel? Where does this take place?
4. Where do Summer and Kyle go after running away in the novel? What are their plans?
5. What is the reader left wondering after Hunter's first interaction with his potential biological father in the novel?
6. What does Hunter learn from Brendan about his past in the novel? How has Brendan changed?
7. What leads Autumn to begin drinking in the novel? Where does this first show to be a problem?
8. What happens after Nikki discovers Hunter's infidelity in the novel? Where does Hunter move?
9. Where does Summer learn she will be going to stay with a new foster family after her dad spends a weekend in jail in the novel? What concerns does Summer have about the situation?
10. What are Summer's experiences with each of her parents like on Thanksgiving in the novel? What does she discover about her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Hunter's attraction to infidelity in the novel. Why is Hunter compelled to cheat, and how does this behavior mirror that of his mother? What effect does Hunter's infidelity have on his relationship with Nikki? In what ways is it seen as "addictive" behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the impact of Kristina's actions on her mother, Marie Haskins, and her stepfather, Scott Haskins. In what ways has Marie defended and even enabled her daughter's harmful behavior? Why? How have Kristina's actions impacted her siblings?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the theme of teenage pregnancy in the novel. How old was Kristina when she first gave birth? How is teenage pregnancy foreshadowed in both of Kristina's daughters in the narrative? How is teenage pregnancy related to the theme of responsibility?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)