|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Summer's father lets slip that she has ________ on Thanksgiving.
2. Autumn tries to make amends with Bryce after her aunt's wedding, but he is going to ________ for Christmas.
3. What refers to an eating disorder characterized by refusal to maintain a healthy body weight, and an obsessive fear of gaining weight?
4. Summer's biggest fear is being taken away from whom after her father is arrested?
5. What is an impulse control disorder characterized by the repeated urge to pick at one's own skin, often to the extent that damage is caused?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reader left wondering after Hunter's first interaction with his potential biological father in the novel?
2. What happens after Nikki discovers Hunter's infidelity in the novel? Where does Hunter move?
3. Where does Kyle spend Thanksgiving in the novel? How does Summer feel about his absence?
4. Where do Summer and Kyle go after running away in the novel? What are their plans?
5. What does Hunter learn from Brendan about his past in the novel? How has Brendan changed?
6. What is foreshadowed by Autumn's illness in the novel? Who suggests a potential cause for the illness?
7. What are Summer's experiences with each of her parents like on Thanksgiving in the novel? What does she discover about her family?
8. Who advises Hunter to let his obsession with his biological father go in the novel? What does he do instead?
9. What confrontations does Summer have with her mother and father after her father spends the weekend in jail in the novel?
10. What stops Hunter from taking the pills at the "pharm party" in the novel? When does he take them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Summer's relationships with Ashante and Erica in the novel. How long does Summer live in the foster home with these girls? What leads up to Summer's violent confrontation with Erica? Who breaks up the confrontation and what is its effect on the family?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss the motif of journeys in the novel. What characters take a physical journey during the holidays? What does each of these journeys represent symbolically and psychologically for the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the differences between Summer's childhood and relationship with her parents from those of her siblings. How has Summer's exposure to her parents affected her interpersonal relationships with others? How does Summer feel about each of her parents?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)