|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Summer and her boyfriend hope to live until they find jobs after running away from Summer's foster home?
2. The new foster home Summer is sent to in the novel has how many other girls living there?
3. Summer's biggest fear is being taken away from whom after her father is arrested?
4. What does Summer hide from her new foster family in order to keep in touch with Kyle?
5. What is the name of Autumn's grandmother who shows up the day of her aunt's wedding in the novel?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the dangers of pharmaceutical drug abuse and the trend of "pharm parties" in America. What risks does Hunter take by using unknown drugs on Thanksgiving? How does this reflect Hunter's unstable emotional state and the mistakes of his parents?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss the motif of journeys in the novel. What characters take a physical journey during the holidays? What does each of these journeys represent symbolically and psychologically for the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the theme of teenage pregnancy in the novel. How old was Kristina when she first gave birth? How is teenage pregnancy foreshadowed in both of Kristina's daughters in the narrative? How is teenage pregnancy related to the theme of responsibility?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)