|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been ill since her aunt's wedding, causing Autumn to believe she has the same stomach flu?
2. Autumn has Thanksgiving dinner in what city in the novel?
3. Summer sees Kyle lose his temper the day they told whom about them?
4. With whom does Hunter do a remote radio show on the day after Thanksgiving?
5. With whom does Summer go to a restaurant for dinner on Thanksgiving?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Hunter move in with after leaving his parents' house in the novel? Why? What party does Hunter attend at this time?
2. What is the reader left wondering after Hunter's first interaction with his potential biological father in the novel?
3. What encounter does Hunter have at the Sparks Hometown Christmas Parade in the novel? Who advises him against his actions?
4. What major discoveries does Hunter gain from his two fathers in the novel? How do these discoveries change his character?
5. What leads to the greatest increase in instability for Summer's character in the novel? How does she feel about her situation?
6. What are Summer's experiences with each of her parents like on Thanksgiving in the novel? What does she discover about her family?
7. What is foreshadowed by Autumn's illness in the novel? Who suggests a potential cause for the illness?
8. Describe the day of Cora's wedding in the novel. Who arrives and what confrontations take place?
9. Who advises Hunter to let his obsession with his biological father go in the novel? What does he do instead?
10. Where does Autumn spend Thanksgiving dinner in the novel? How does she feel about this setting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the relationship between Nikki and Hunter in the narrative. How has Hunter's past and family impacted his ability to be secure in his relationships? How has Nikki's past affected her relationships? How do each of their families compare?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Autumn's relationship with her father after they have first met. How does Trey's presence inspire Autumn to meet her mother? Is this meeting a positive or negative thing for Autumn's development? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, analyze and discuss the narrative structure of the novel. How is the novel nontraditional in its separation of chapters and in its narrative voice? Is the plot structure traditional or non-traditional? Where does the rising action in the novel take place? Where is the climax?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)