|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The new foster home Summer is sent to in the novel has how many other girls living there?
2. Whom does Autumn's aunt announce she is marrying on Thanksgiving?
3. On the night of her aunt's wedding rehearsal, Autumn is almost unable to make it to the church for what reason?
4. Who reveals to Autumn the reason she knows nothing about her parents or her extended family?
5. What is an impulse control disorder characterized by the repeated urge to pick at one's own skin, often to the extent that damage is caused?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed by Autumn's illness in the novel? Who suggests a potential cause for the illness?
2. What stops Hunter from taking the pills at the "pharm party" in the novel? When does he take them?
3. What does Trey tell Autumn about her childhood when he arrives at Aunt Cora's house after the wedding? What does this inspire Autumn to do?
4. Who advises Hunter to let his obsession with his biological father go in the novel? What does he do instead?
5. How does Autumn feel about the wedding planning for her aunt after Thanksgiving in the novel? Who does she invite over while her aunt is away?
6. What encounter does Hunter have at the Sparks Hometown Christmas Parade in the novel? Who advises him against his actions?
7. Whom does Hunter move in with after leaving his parents' house in the novel? Why? What party does Hunter attend at this time?
8. What confrontations does Summer have with her mother and father after her father spends the weekend in jail in the novel?
9. How does Summer feel about her decision to run away from her foster home in the novel? Why?
10. What is Hunter's reaction upon first seeing the man he believes to be his biological father in the novel? Where does this take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss examples of symbolism and imagery in the narrative. What does the stranger at the talent show represent to Hunter? What is symbolized by Hunter's infidelity with Leah in the narrative? What does Kristina represent symbolically to each of her children?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the insecurity and isolation which plague Autumn in the novel. Why does Autumn feel incapable of being loved? How did her parents' actions contribute to Autumn's insecurity and inferiority complexes? How does she attempt to overcome them?
Essay Topic 3
Define, analyze and discuss the themes of abandonment and neglect in the novel. What effects have been seen in Kristina's children of their abandonment by their parents? How has their neglect or abandonment affected them differently. How are the older children's experiences better or worse than those of the elder children?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)