|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Autumn invite over while Aunt Cora is gone looking for a wedding church in the novel?
2. On the night of her aunt's wedding rehearsal, Autumn is almost unable to make it to the church for what reason?
3. What is a chronic cardiac condition in which the systemic arterial blood pressure is elevated?
4. What is a psychotic disorder that appears in some people who use stimulant drugs?
5. Whom does Autumn's aunt announce she is marrying on Thanksgiving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Summer's experiences with each of her parents like on Thanksgiving in the novel? What does she discover about her family?
2. What stops Hunter from taking the pills at the "pharm party" in the novel? When does he take them?
3. Whom does Hunter move in with after leaving his parents' house in the novel? Why? What party does Hunter attend at this time?
4. What is the reader left wondering after Hunter's first interaction with his potential biological father in the novel?
5. What leads Autumn to begin drinking in the novel? Where does this first show to be a problem?
6. Where does Kyle spend Thanksgiving in the novel? How does Summer feel about his absence?
7. What is Hunter's reaction upon first seeing the man he believes to be his biological father in the novel? Where does this take place?
8. Where do Summer and Kyle go after running away in the novel? What are their plans?
9. What does Trey tell Autumn about her childhood when he arrives at Aunt Cora's house after the wedding? What does this inspire Autumn to do?
10. What leads to the greatest increase in instability for Summer's character in the novel? How does she feel about her situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define, analyze and discuss the themes of abandonment and neglect in the novel. What effects have been seen in Kristina's children of their abandonment by their parents? How has their neglect or abandonment affected them differently. How are the older children's experiences better or worse than those of the elder children?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss examples of symbolism and imagery in the narrative. What does the stranger at the talent show represent to Hunter? What is symbolized by Hunter's infidelity with Leah in the narrative? What does Kristina represent symbolically to each of her children?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the cycle of addiction in the novel. In what ways are the sins of the parents revisited on Kristina's children? Who shows tendencies for chemical dependency in the novel and in what ways? What are the underlying causes for these tendencies?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)