|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What means rapid breathing or a respiration rate greater than 20 breaths per minute?
2. On the night of her aunt's wedding rehearsal, Autumn is almost unable to make it to the church for what reason?
3. Who advises Hunter not to sleep with the listener he gave concert tickets to?
4. What concerns Hunter about his biological father?
5. What does Autumn begin to do in an attempt to keep her anxiety about the wedding under control in the fourth section of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed by Autumn's illness in the novel? Who suggests a potential cause for the illness?
2. Who advises Hunter to let his obsession with his biological father go in the novel? What does he do instead?
3. Where does Autumn spend Thanksgiving dinner in the novel? How does she feel about this setting?
4. Whom does Hunter move in with after leaving his parents' house in the novel? Why? What party does Hunter attend at this time?
5. What major discoveries does Hunter gain from his two fathers in the novel? How do these discoveries change his character?
6. What leads Autumn to begin drinking in the novel? Where does this first show to be a problem?
7. Where does Summer learn she will be going to stay with a new foster family after her dad spends a weekend in jail in the novel? What concerns does Summer have about the situation?
8. What stops Hunter from taking the pills at the "pharm party" in the novel? When does he take them?
9. What encounter does Hunter have at the Sparks Hometown Christmas Parade in the novel? Who advises him against his actions?
10. Describe the day of Cora's wedding in the novel. Who arrives and what confrontations take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Brendan in the narrative. What does Hunter realize about Brendan when he finally confronts him? How does this discovery change Hunter's perception of his history and himself in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Summer's relationships with Ashante and Erica in the novel. How long does Summer live in the foster home with these girls? What leads up to Summer's violent confrontation with Erica? Who breaks up the confrontation and what is its effect on the family?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the differences between Summer's childhood and relationship with her parents from those of her siblings. How has Summer's exposure to her parents affected her interpersonal relationships with others? How does Summer feel about each of her parents?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)