|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Summer run away from her new foster family?
2. Where does Hunter run into his biological father?
3. Autumn has Thanksgiving dinner at whose home in the novel?
4. After Summer's father is arrested, who is her new foster father?
5. What refers to a perception in the absence of a stimulus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Kyle spend Thanksgiving in the novel? How does Summer feel about his absence?
2. Whom does Hunter move in with after leaving his parents' house in the novel? Why? What party does Hunter attend at this time?
3. Where does Autumn spend Thanksgiving dinner in the novel? How does she feel about this setting?
4. What confrontations does Summer have with her mother and father after her father spends the weekend in jail in the novel?
5. What stops Hunter from taking the pills at the "pharm party" in the novel? When does he take them?
6. What discussions does Hunter have with his adoptive parents after leaving Nikki in the novel? What does Hunter learn?
7. What risks does Autumn take in her first sexual encounter in the novel? What has led to this behavior?
8. Who advises Hunter to let his obsession with his biological father go in the novel? What does he do instead?
9. What is Hunter's reaction upon first seeing the man he believes to be his biological father in the novel? Where does this take place?
10. What are Summer's experiences with each of her parents like on Thanksgiving in the novel? What does she discover about her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Summer's relationships with Ashante and Erica in the novel. How long does Summer live in the foster home with these girls? What leads up to Summer's violent confrontation with Erica? Who breaks up the confrontation and what is its effect on the family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of sexual abuse in the novel. Which characters have been abused and by whom? Who is to blame for the abuse that Kristina's children have suffered and why? In what ways did Kristina herself face sexual abuse?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss the motif of journeys in the novel. What characters take a physical journey during the holidays? What does each of these journeys represent symbolically and psychologically for the characters?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)