|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What typically refers to a heart rate that exceeds the normal range for a resting heart rate?
2. Methamphetamine is dispensed in the United States under what trademark name?
3. What does Trey tell Autumn her upset stomach might be the result of as he drives her to see her family?
4. What is the name of the grateful listener that Hunter cheats on Nikki with?
5. Hunter gets a call at the radio station from a grateful listener to whom Hunter gave _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to the greatest increase in instability for Summer's character in the novel? How does she feel about her situation?
2. How does Summer feel about her decision to run away from her foster home in the novel? Why?
3. What discussions does Hunter have with his adoptive parents after leaving Nikki in the novel? What does Hunter learn?
4. Where does Summer learn she will be going to stay with a new foster family after her dad spends a weekend in jail in the novel? What concerns does Summer have about the situation?
5. Whom does Hunter move in with after leaving his parents' house in the novel? Why? What party does Hunter attend at this time?
6. What happens after Nikki discovers Hunter's infidelity in the novel? Where does Hunter move?
7. How does Autumn feel about the wedding planning for her aunt after Thanksgiving in the novel? Who does she invite over while her aunt is away?
8. Where do Summer and Kyle go after running away in the novel? What are their plans?
9. What is foreshadowed by Autumn's illness in the novel? Who suggests a potential cause for the illness?
10. What stops Hunter from taking the pills at the "pharm party" in the novel? When does he take them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the theme of teenage pregnancy in the novel. How old was Kristina when she first gave birth? How is teenage pregnancy foreshadowed in both of Kristina's daughters in the narrative? How is teenage pregnancy related to the theme of responsibility?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Autumn's relationship with her father after they have first met. How does Trey's presence inspire Autumn to meet her mother? Is this meeting a positive or negative thing for Autumn's development? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss examples of symbolism and imagery in the narrative. What does the stranger at the talent show represent to Hunter? What is symbolized by Hunter's infidelity with Leah in the narrative? What does Kristina represent symbolically to each of her children?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)