|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes with Aunt Cora to look for a church for her wedding in the novel?
2. What is the name of Autumn's grandmother who shows up the day of her aunt's wedding in the novel?
3. With whom does Summer go to a restaurant for dinner on Thanksgiving?
4. Methamphetamine is dispensed in the United States under what trademark name?
5. What is the name of the grateful listener that Hunter cheats on Nikki with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hunter learn from Brendan about his past in the novel? How has Brendan changed?
2. What encounter does Hunter have at the Sparks Hometown Christmas Parade in the novel? Who advises him against his actions?
3. What happens after Nikki discovers Hunter's infidelity in the novel? Where does Hunter move?
4. What stops Hunter from taking the pills at the "pharm party" in the novel? When does he take them?
5. What are Summer's experiences with each of her parents like on Thanksgiving in the novel? What does she discover about her family?
6. Describe the day of Cora's wedding in the novel. Who arrives and what confrontations take place?
7. What leads Autumn to begin drinking in the novel? Where does this first show to be a problem?
8. What risks does Autumn take in her first sexual encounter in the novel? What has led to this behavior?
9. Where do Summer and Kyle go after running away in the novel? What are their plans?
10. How does Autumn feel about the wedding planning for her aunt after Thanksgiving in the novel? Who does she invite over while her aunt is away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Brendan in the narrative. What does Hunter realize about Brendan when he finally confronts him? How does this discovery change Hunter's perception of his history and himself in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Define, analyze and discuss the themes of abandonment and neglect in the novel. What effects have been seen in Kristina's children of their abandonment by their parents? How has their neglect or abandonment affected them differently. How are the older children's experiences better or worse than those of the elder children?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the differences between Summer's childhood and relationship with her parents from those of her siblings. How has Summer's exposure to her parents affected her interpersonal relationships with others? How does Summer feel about each of her parents?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)