|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What typically refers to a heart rate that exceeds the normal range for a resting heart rate?
2. Whom does Nikki overhear a message from on Hunter's phone, indicating he has cheated on her?
3. Methamphetamine is FDA approved for the treatment of what conditions?
4. Hunter attends a party one night that features a bowl full of ___________.
5. Whom does Summer overhear a message from on the answering machine after her father is arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discussions does Hunter have with his adoptive parents after leaving Nikki in the novel? What does Hunter learn?
2. How does Summer feel about her decision to run away from her foster home in the novel? Why?
3. Who advises Hunter to let his obsession with his biological father go in the novel? What does he do instead?
4. Describe the day of Cora's wedding in the novel. Who arrives and what confrontations take place?
5. Where does Autumn spend Thanksgiving dinner in the novel? How does she feel about this setting?
6. What does Trey tell Autumn about her childhood when he arrives at Aunt Cora's house after the wedding? What does this inspire Autumn to do?
7. What happens after Nikki discovers Hunter's infidelity in the novel? Where does Hunter move?
8. Where does Summer learn she will be going to stay with a new foster family after her dad spends a weekend in jail in the novel? What concerns does Summer have about the situation?
9. Where does Kyle spend Thanksgiving in the novel? How does Summer feel about his absence?
10. What is foreshadowed by Autumn's illness in the novel? Who suggests a potential cause for the illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the insecurity and isolation which plague Autumn in the novel. Why does Autumn feel incapable of being loved? How did her parents' actions contribute to Autumn's insecurity and inferiority complexes? How does she attempt to overcome them?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the relationship between Nikki and Hunter in the narrative. How has Hunter's past and family impacted his ability to be secure in his relationships? How has Nikki's past affected her relationships? How do each of their families compare?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Brendan in the narrative. What does Hunter realize about Brendan when he finally confronts him? How does this discovery change Hunter's perception of his history and himself in the novel?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)