|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who advises Hunter to let his concerns about his father go?
2. Summer's father lets slip that she has ________ on Thanksgiving.
3. After moving home, Hunter asks his dad if he ever ___________.
4. With whom does Summer run away from her new foster family?
5. What is the name of Autumn's grandmother who shows up the day of her aunt's wedding in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Summer learn she will be going to stay with a new foster family after her dad spends a weekend in jail in the novel? What concerns does Summer have about the situation?
2. What does Hunter learn from Brendan about his past in the novel? How has Brendan changed?
3. What is Hunter's reaction upon first seeing the man he believes to be his biological father in the novel? Where does this take place?
4. What stops Hunter from taking the pills at the "pharm party" in the novel? When does he take them?
5. What discussions does Hunter have with his adoptive parents after leaving Nikki in the novel? What does Hunter learn?
6. Describe the day of Cora's wedding in the novel. Who arrives and what confrontations take place?
7. What is foreshadowed by Autumn's illness in the novel? Who suggests a potential cause for the illness?
8. How does Autumn feel about the wedding planning for her aunt after Thanksgiving in the novel? Who does she invite over while her aunt is away?
9. What are Summer's experiences with each of her parents like on Thanksgiving in the novel? What does she discover about her family?
10. How does Summer feel about her decision to run away from her foster home in the novel? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the dangers of pharmaceutical drug abuse and the trend of "pharm parties" in America. What risks does Hunter take by using unknown drugs on Thanksgiving? How does this reflect Hunter's unstable emotional state and the mistakes of his parents?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of teenage pregnancy in the novel. How old was Kristina when she first gave birth? How is teenage pregnancy foreshadowed in both of Kristina's daughters in the narrative? How is teenage pregnancy related to the theme of responsibility?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, analyze and discuss the narrative style of the novel. From whose perspective is the story told and how does this shift throughout the novel? How many protagonists does the novel have? Is the narrative point of view omniscient or limited?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)