|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Aunt Cora go to look for a church for her wedding in the novel?
2. For what offense does Summer's father spend the weekend in jail in the novel?
3. After running away from her new foster home, Summer stops by whose trailer so that she can borrow clothes and some money?
4. What refers to an eating disorder characterized by refusal to maintain a healthy body weight, and an obsessive fear of gaining weight?
5. What were Hunter's parents taking when he was conceived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Autumn to begin drinking in the novel? Where does this first show to be a problem?
2. What discussions does Hunter have with his adoptive parents after leaving Nikki in the novel? What does Hunter learn?
3. What stops Hunter from taking the pills at the "pharm party" in the novel? When does he take them?
4. Describe the day of Cora's wedding in the novel. Who arrives and what confrontations take place?
5. What is foreshadowed by Autumn's illness in the novel? Who suggests a potential cause for the illness?
6. Where does Summer learn she will be going to stay with a new foster family after her dad spends a weekend in jail in the novel? What concerns does Summer have about the situation?
7. Where does Autumn spend Thanksgiving dinner in the novel? How does she feel about this setting?
8. What does Trey tell Autumn about her childhood when he arrives at Aunt Cora's house after the wedding? What does this inspire Autumn to do?
9. How does Summer feel about her decision to run away from her foster home in the novel? Why?
10. What is Hunter's reaction upon first seeing the man he believes to be his biological father in the novel? Where does this take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze and discuss the narrative style of the novel. From whose perspective is the story told and how does this shift throughout the novel? How many protagonists does the novel have? Is the narrative point of view omniscient or limited?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Autumn's relationship with her aunt and grandfather in the novel. How has Autumn's childhood illustrated greater stability than those of her siblings? What does Autumn know about her father and how does she feel about his abandonment?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the dangers of pharmaceutical drug abuse and the trend of "pharm parties" in America. What risks does Hunter take by using unknown drugs on Thanksgiving? How does this reflect Hunter's unstable emotional state and the mistakes of his parents?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)