|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was H. H. Tien studying in London?
2. What did Adeline receive as a wedding present from her father and Niang?
3. When did Niang die?
4. Where was Tai-way's wedding held?
5. When did Adeline finish her residency in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Father's business change, and what new businesses did he start?
2. Who attended Joseph's funeral?
3. What was the diagnosis of Joseph's illness?
4. When did Bob Mah's parents emigrate to America and what did they do?
5. What did Joseph say was the happiest time of his life?
6. What did Gregory tell Adeline about boy/girl relationships?
7. How did Adeline get the money for a plane ticket to America?
8. What advice did Father give Adeline when he and Niang visited California when she was married to Byron?
9. Why did Gregory want to leave Nigeria?
10. What did Lydia want from Adeline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Susan was disinherited and denounced as a family member. Discuss why the conflicts Susan had with Niang led to Susan being disowned and denounced as a family member.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline decided she would never surrender and beg for mercy from Niang. Discuss Adeline's determination and resolve and how it affected her life with Niang.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline endured racial and sexual slights when she attended school in London. Discuss the racial and sexual discrimination and slights that Adeline endured in London and as a doctor.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)