|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Adeline receive as a wedding present from her father and Niang?
2. On what floor was Niang's flat?
3. What game did Aunt Baba and her friend switch to when mah-jong became illegal?
4. When Adeline was at Tsan Yuk, how much more were the male doctors paid than the female doctors?
5. When did Father sell his Buick?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Adeline returned from assisting two patients who had been admitted after a car accident, what did Adeline find at home?
2. What did Aunt Baba do after Joseph, Niang, and their family left?
3. What did Adeline find in Niang's antique Chinese desk?
4. What was Byron's background?
5. Who attended Joseph's funeral?
6. What was the diagnosis of Joseph's illness?
7. Why did Father's business change, and what new businesses did he start?
8. What did Joseph say was the happiest time of his life?
9. How had Hong Kong changed since Adeline left eleven years ago?
10. Why did Bob's brother Ed receive a Bronze Star during World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adeline endured racial and sexual slights when she attended school in London. Discuss the racial and sexual discrimination and slights that Adeline endured in London and as a doctor.
Essay Topic 2
Franklin contracted a type of polio and died. Discuss Franklin's death and how it changed Joseph and Niang and their relationship with one another.
Essay Topic 3
When Adeline described her birth and her mother's death, she mentioned some facts that contributed to her mother's death. Discuss Adeline's birth and what contributed to her mother's death.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)