|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Niang when she and Father came for a medical consultation in America?
2. What did the earthquake register on the Richter Scale that shook Tangshan in 1976?
3. On what floor was Niang's flat?
4. When were some of Adeline's more idealistic contemporaries asked to leave Britain?
5. How much did Adeline earn a month during her internship at St. Mary's Hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mr. Lu say that no friends would come to Niang's funeral?
2. What happened to H. H. after he was asked to leave Britain?
3. What job did Adeline arrange for herself in Hong Kong?
4. What did Joseph say when Aunt Baba informed him that Miss Chien had been stealing?
5. How did Adeline get the money for a plane ticket to America?
6. What did Aunt Baba do after Joseph, Niang, and their family left?
7. What did the biopsy report reveal about Niang's illness?
8. What did Bob Mah have to do during Pearl Harbor?
9. After Adeline returned from assisting two patients who had been admitted after a car accident, what did Adeline find at home?
10. Why did Father's business change, and what new businesses did he start?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adeline became friends with a fellow woman doctor who explained why women doctors had such unhappy marriages. Discuss Adeline's and her friend's experiences with unhappy marriages and why women doctors had troubled marriages.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Gregory's role in his father's business and why Gregory was dismissed and banished from Father's enterprises.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline knew that her future was in Niang's hands. Discuss Niang's plans for Adeline's future and how Adeline was able to alter that future.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)