|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Niang when she and Father came for a medical consultation in America?
2. What game did Aunt Baba and her friend switch to when mah-jong became illegal?
3. How much of Niang's estate did Gregory and Edgar receive?
4. When did Adeline leave England and return to Hong Kong?
5. When was the first Tiananmen Incident?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Father's business change, and what new businesses did he start?
2. How was Aunt Baba when Adeline saw her in March, 1994?
3. What was the diagnosis of Joseph's illness?
4. What did C. S. do after he was asked to leave Britain?
5. Why did Alcenith Crawford believe that women doctors had unhappy marriages?
6. What did Bob Mah have to do during Pearl Harbor?
7. What did Adeline learn about Byron shortly after they married?
8. How did Adeline get the money for a plane ticket to America?
9. What did Aunt Baba do after Joseph, Niang, and their family left?
10. What did Gregory tell Adeline about boy/girl relationships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Falling Leaves" deals with Adeline's very unhappy family life. Discuss the overall mood of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline took a position that her father had secured for her. Discuss why Adeline took a position that her father had secured for her rather than a job she had found for herself.
Essay Topic 3
Grand Aunt was an unusual woman for her time. Discuss the role of women in Chinese society in the late 1800s and the first two decades of the 1900s and how women in the book did or did not follow the dictates of society.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)