|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Roger born?
2. When Adeline arrived in America, how long had Byron been renting a room from Martin?
3. What was the name of the maid that Aunt Baba fired in Chapter 20?
4. When was Byron born?
5. Why did Niang need surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mr. Lu say that no friends would come to Niang's funeral?
2. What did Susan's mother-in-law do when Susan came into her marriage with two suitcases of old clothes?
3. How had Hong Kong changed since Adeline left eleven years ago?
4. Why did Father's business change, and what new businesses did he start?
5. What advice did Father give Adeline when he and Niang visited California when she was married to Byron?
6. What did Adeline find in Niang's antique Chinese desk?
7. After Adeline returned from assisting two patients who had been admitted after a car accident, what did Adeline find at home?
8. How did Adeline get the money for a plane ticket to America?
9. Why did Gregory want to leave Nigeria?
10. What did Adeline have to do to get a California medical license?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adeline became friends with a fellow woman doctor who explained why women doctors had such unhappy marriages. Discuss Adeline's and her friend's experiences with unhappy marriages and why women doctors had troubled marriages.
Essay Topic 2
"Falling Leaves" deals with Adeline's very unhappy family life. Discuss the overall mood of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline endured racial and sexual slights when she attended school in London. Discuss the racial and sexual discrimination and slights that Adeline endured in London and as a doctor.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)