|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Adeline leave England and return to Hong Kong?
2. Where did James have to live in Hong Kong before Gregory came back?
3. Mrs. Hsu was from ______________.
4. What hours did taxi-drivers, hair-dressers, waitresses, nurses, telephone operators, and others work a day for meager wages?
5. When did Byron decide to buy a restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bob's brother Ed receive a Bronze Star during World War II?
2. Who attended Joseph's funeral?
3. What did Gregory tell Adeline about boy/girl relationships?
4. How had Hong Kong changed since Adeline left eleven years ago?
5. What did C. S. do after he was asked to leave Britain?
6. Why did Father's business change, and what new businesses did he start?
7. When did Bob Mah's parents emigrate to America and what did they do?
8. What did Joseph say was the happiest time of his life?
9. What did Bob Mah have to do during Pearl Harbor?
10. What did Aunt Baba do after Joseph, Niang, and their family left?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grand Aunt was an unusual woman for her time. Discuss the role of women in Chinese society in the late 1800s and the first two decades of the 1900s and how women in the book did or did not follow the dictates of society.
Essay Topic 2
When Adeline described her birth and her mother's death, she mentioned some facts that contributed to her mother's death. Discuss Adeline's birth and what contributed to her mother's death.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline decided she would never surrender and beg for mercy from Niang. Discuss Adeline's determination and resolve and how it affected her life with Niang.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)