|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Adeline begin her internship at St. Mary's Hospital?
2. Where did Tai-ling attend college?
3. Where did Bob Mah teach?
4. Where did James's daughter go to college?
5. What game did Aunt Baba and her friend switch to when mah-jong became illegal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gregory want to leave Nigeria?
2. What did C. S. do after he was asked to leave Britain?
3. Who attended Joseph's funeral?
4. What did Joseph say when Aunt Baba informed him that Miss Chien had been stealing?
5. Why did Father's business change, and what new businesses did he start?
6. Why did Bob's brother Ed receive a Bronze Star during World War II?
7. What did Gregory tell Adeline about boy/girl relationships?
8. When did Bob Mah's parents emigrate to America and what did they do?
9. What did Susan's mother-in-law do when Susan came into her marriage with two suitcases of old clothes?
10. What did Adeline learn about Byron shortly after they married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adeline decided she would never surrender and beg for mercy from Niang. Discuss Adeline's determination and resolve and how it affected her life with Niang.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline took a position that her father had secured for her. Discuss why Adeline took a position that her father had secured for her rather than a job she had found for herself.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline knew that her future was in Niang's hands. Discuss Niang's plans for Adeline's future and how Adeline was able to alter that future.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)