|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Adeline finish her residency in Chapter 18?
2. When did Byron decide to buy a restaurant?
3. When did Father sell his Buick?
4. How close was the hotel where Bob and Adleine stayed in Shanghai to the Sheng Xin primary school that Adeline had attended?
5. Where was Tai-way's wedding held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job did Adeline arrange for herself in Hong Kong?
2. Why did Mr. Lu say that no friends would come to Niang's funeral?
3. Why did Alcenith Crawford believe that women doctors had unhappy marriages?
4. What was the diagnosis of Joseph's illness?
5. When did Bob Mah's parents emigrate to America and what did they do?
6. What did Lydia want from Adeline?
7. How had Hong Kong changed since Adeline left eleven years ago?
8. What advice did Father give Adeline when he and Niang visited California when she was married to Byron?
9. What did Adeline find in Niang's antique Chinese desk?
10. How did Adeline get the money for a plane ticket to America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Adeline described her birth and her mother's death, she mentioned some facts that contributed to her mother's death. Discuss Adeline's birth and what contributed to her mother's death.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline broke off her relationship with Karl and returned to Hong Kong. Discuss Adeline's relationship with Karl and why she had to leave to end it.
Essay Topic 3
Susan was disinherited and denounced as a family member. Discuss why the conflicts Susan had with Niang led to Susan being disowned and denounced as a family member.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)