|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When all Chinese industries and businesses were nationalized, what did deserving owners receive for their businesses for ten years?
2. When did Niang die?
3. Where did James's daughter go to college?
4. How many people died when an earthquake shook Tangshan?
5. Who was excluded from Father's seventieth birthday celebration party in Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gregory tell Adeline about boy/girl relationships?
2. What did Adeline find in Niang's antique Chinese desk?
3. What happened to H. H. after he was asked to leave Britain?
4. Why did Gregory want to leave Nigeria?
5. How had Hong Kong changed since Adeline left eleven years ago?
6. Why did Father's business change, and what new businesses did he start?
7. Why did Bob's brother Ed receive a Bronze Star during World War II?
8. Who attended Joseph's funeral?
9. When did Bob Mah's parents emigrate to America and what did they do?
10. What advice did Father give Adeline when he and Niang visited California when she was married to Byron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Susan was disinherited and denounced as a family member. Discuss why the conflicts Susan had with Niang led to Susan being disowned and denounced as a family member.
Essay Topic 2
James became his father's heir apparent, but paid a high price to do so. Discuss what it cost James to become his father's heir and do his father's bidding.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline decided she would never surrender and beg for mercy from Niang. Discuss Adeline's determination and resolve and how it affected her life with Niang.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)