|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Niang when she and Father came for a medical consultation in America?
2. When did Adeline leave England and return to Hong Kong?
3. Where was H. H. Tien studying in London?
4. Where did Tai-ling attend college?
5. How many of Bob's brothers enlisted during World War II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Adeline get the money for a plane ticket to America?
2. What did Joseph say when Aunt Baba informed him that Miss Chien had been stealing?
3. Why did Gregory want to leave Nigeria?
4. What did Gregory tell Adeline about boy/girl relationships?
5. What was the diagnosis of Joseph's illness?
6. Who attended Joseph's funeral?
7. What did Adeline learn about Byron shortly after they married?
8. What did Adeline have to do to get a California medical license?
9. How was Aunt Baba when Adeline saw her in March, 1994?
10. What did Susan's mother-in-law do when Susan came into her marriage with two suitcases of old clothes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James became his father's heir apparent, but paid a high price to do so. Discuss what it cost James to become his father's heir and do his father's bidding.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline knew that her future was in Niang's hands. Discuss Niang's plans for Adeline's future and how Adeline was able to alter that future.
Essay Topic 3
Grandmother died at the age of fifty-five. Discuss Grandmother's death and how it affected Adeline.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)