|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Adeline first meet Robert Mah?
2. How long after Adeline arrived in America did she and Byron marry?
3. When all Chinese industries and businesses were nationalized, what did deserving owners receive for their businesses for ten years?
4. Who was excluded from Father's seventieth birthday celebration party in Hong Kong?
5. How many people died when an earthquake shook Tangshan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Father's business change, and what new businesses did he start?
2. What was Byron's background?
3. After Adeline returned from assisting two patients who had been admitted after a car accident, what did Adeline find at home?
4. When did Bob Mah's parents emigrate to America and what did they do?
5. Who attended Joseph's funeral?
6. What did Adeline have to do to get a California medical license?
7. How had Hong Kong changed since Adeline left eleven years ago?
8. Why did Mr. Lu say that no friends would come to Niang's funeral?
9. What did Aunt Baba do after Joseph, Niang, and their family left?
10. What did Adeline learn about Byron shortly after they married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James became his father's heir apparent, but paid a high price to do so. Discuss what it cost James to become his father's heir and do his father's bidding.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Adeline's relationships with her siblings and how Niang interfered with the relationships that Adeline had with her siblings.
Essay Topic 3
Franklin contracted a type of polio and died. Discuss Franklin's death and how it changed Joseph and Niang and their relationship with one another.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)