|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many families shared the home where Aunt Baba lived when Adeline and Bob visited?
2. Where was Byron born?
3. How old was Ginger Morris when she became Roger's new nanny?
4. Where was H. H. Tien studying in London?
5. When did Father become a naturalized British citizen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Father's business change, and what new businesses did he start?
2. What was the diagnosis of Joseph's illness?
3. Why did Bob's brother Ed receive a Bronze Star during World War II?
4. When did Bob Mah's parents emigrate to America and what did they do?
5. How had Hong Kong changed since Adeline left eleven years ago?
6. What was Byron's background?
7. What advice did Father give Adeline when he and Niang visited California when she was married to Byron?
8. What did Gregory tell Adeline about boy/girl relationships?
9. How was Aunt Baba when Adeline saw her in March, 1994?
10. What did Aunt Baba do after Joseph, Niang, and their family left?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adeline endured racial and sexual slights when she attended school in London. Discuss the racial and sexual discrimination and slights that Adeline endured in London and as a doctor.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Adeline's relationships with her siblings and how Niang interfered with the relationships that Adeline had with her siblings.
Essay Topic 3
Susan was disinherited and denounced as a family member. Discuss why the conflicts Susan had with Niang led to Susan being disowned and denounced as a family member.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)