|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hours did taxi-drivers, hair-dressers, waitresses, nurses, telephone operators, and others work a day for meager wages?
2. When was Grand Aunt forced to resign from all her duties at the Women's Bank?
3. How much did Father pay Gregory and James to work for him?
4. When was Aunt Baba forced to move out of Joseph's home?
5. What time would Father summon his chauffeur to drive him to the club at Stanley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joseph say when Aunt Baba informed him that Miss Chien had been stealing?
2. After Adeline returned from assisting two patients who had been admitted after a car accident, what did Adeline find at home?
3. Why did Father's business change, and what new businesses did he start?
4. What did C. S. do after he was asked to leave Britain?
5. What advice did Father give Adeline when he and Niang visited California when she was married to Byron?
6. Why did Mr. Lu say that no friends would come to Niang's funeral?
7. Who attended Joseph's funeral?
8. What was Byron's background?
9. Why did Gregory want to leave Nigeria?
10. What did Susan's mother-in-law do when Susan came into her marriage with two suitcases of old clothes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Adeline described her birth and her mother's death, she mentioned some facts that contributed to her mother's death. Discuss Adeline's birth and what contributed to her mother's death.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline knew that her future was in Niang's hands. Discuss Niang's plans for Adeline's future and how Adeline was able to alter that future.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline decided she would never surrender and beg for mercy from Niang. Discuss Adeline's determination and resolve and how it affected her life with Niang.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)