|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Aunt Baba was transferred to the bank branch near the Cathay Cinema, how many tram stops was she from her home?
2. How old was Bob Mah when Pearl Harbor was attacked?
3. Where did James have to live in Hong Kong before Gregory came back?
4. How many families shared the home where Aunt Baba lived when Adeline and Bob visited?
5. Mrs. Hsu was from ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joseph say when Aunt Baba informed him that Miss Chien had been stealing?
2. What did Susan's mother-in-law do when Susan came into her marriage with two suitcases of old clothes?
3. What did C. S. do after he was asked to leave Britain?
4. What did Adeline find in Niang's antique Chinese desk?
5. What did Joseph say was the happiest time of his life?
6. Why did Alcenith Crawford believe that women doctors had unhappy marriages?
7. What was Byron's background?
8. Why did Bob's brother Ed receive a Bronze Star during World War II?
9. How was Aunt Baba when Adeline saw her in March, 1994?
10. What did Adeline have to do to get a California medical license?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franklin contracted a type of polio and died. Discuss Franklin's death and how it changed Joseph and Niang and their relationship with one another.
Essay Topic 2
Susan was disinherited and denounced as a family member. Discuss why the conflicts Susan had with Niang led to Susan being disowned and denounced as a family member.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline knew that her future was in Niang's hands. Discuss Niang's plans for Adeline's future and how Adeline was able to alter that future.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)