|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Martin Ching's parents emigrate to America?
2. What did Adeline receive as a wedding present from her father and Niang?
3. Where did James's daughter go to college?
4. How many people died when an earthquake shook Tangshan?
5. How many children did Bob Mah's parents have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Aunt Baba when Adeline saw her in March, 1994?
2. What was Byron's background?
3. Why did Mr. Lu say that no friends would come to Niang's funeral?
4. After Adeline returned from assisting two patients who had been admitted after a car accident, what did Adeline find at home?
5. How did Adeline get the money for a plane ticket to America?
6. What did the biopsy report reveal about Niang's illness?
7. What did Susan's mother-in-law do when Susan came into her marriage with two suitcases of old clothes?
8. What did Lydia want from Adeline?
9. What did C. S. do after he was asked to leave Britain?
10. Why did Father's business change, and what new businesses did he start?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Falling Leaves" deals with Adeline's very unhappy family life. Discuss the overall mood of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Ye Ye invested money in his son's company. Discuss how Ye Ye helped Joseph get his start and how Joseph repaid the favor.
Essay Topic 3
At the height of the Chinese Civil War, Father and Niang took Adeline to Tianjin. Discuss why it was dangerous to be in Tianjin at that time and why and how Adeline escaped Tianjin.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)