|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Communist government launch the sister movements, The Antis and Five Antis?
2. Who was excluded from Father's seventieth birthday celebration party in Hong Kong?
3. Where did Tai-ling attend college?
4. When did Niang die?
5. When was Grand Aunt forced to resign from all her duties at the Women's Bank?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Adeline get the money for a plane ticket to America?
2. What happened to H. H. after he was asked to leave Britain?
3. What did the biopsy report reveal about Niang's illness?
4. What did Adeline find in Niang's antique Chinese desk?
5. Why did Alcenith Crawford believe that women doctors had unhappy marriages?
6. What did Susan's mother-in-law do when Susan came into her marriage with two suitcases of old clothes?
7. When did Bob Mah's parents emigrate to America and what did they do?
8. What did Aunt Baba do after Joseph, Niang, and their family left?
9. What job did Adeline arrange for herself in Hong Kong?
10. Why did Bob's brother Ed receive a Bronze Star during World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Adeline described her birth and her mother's death, she mentioned some facts that contributed to her mother's death. Discuss Adeline's birth and what contributed to her mother's death.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Adeline's relationships with her siblings and how Niang interfered with the relationships that Adeline had with her siblings.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline decided she would never surrender and beg for mercy from Niang. Discuss Adeline's determination and resolve and how it affected her life with Niang.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)