|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Adeline's contract for her first American residency?
2. What hours did taxi-drivers, hair-dressers, waitresses, nurses, telephone operators, and others work a day for meager wages?
3. Where was Byron born?
4. When Aunt Baba was transferred to the bank branch near the Cathay Cinema, how many tram stops was she from her home?
5. How long after Adeline arrived in America did she and Byron marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did C. S. do after he was asked to leave Britain?
2. What did Aunt Baba do after Joseph, Niang, and their family left?
3. How had Hong Kong changed since Adeline left eleven years ago?
4. Who attended Joseph's funeral?
5. After Adeline returned from assisting two patients who had been admitted after a car accident, what did Adeline find at home?
6. Why did Mr. Lu say that no friends would come to Niang's funeral?
7. Why did Gregory want to leave Nigeria?
8. How did Adeline get the money for a plane ticket to America?
9. How was Aunt Baba when Adeline saw her in March, 1994?
10. What did Susan's mother-in-law do when Susan came into her marriage with two suitcases of old clothes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandmother died at the age of fifty-five. Discuss Grandmother's death and how it affected Adeline.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline became friends with a fellow woman doctor who explained why women doctors had such unhappy marriages. Discuss Adeline's and her friend's experiences with unhappy marriages and why women doctors had troubled marriages.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline broke off her relationship with Karl and returned to Hong Kong. Discuss Adeline's relationship with Karl and why she had to leave to end it.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)