|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did the Shanghai police once find chained to the wall of a tin factory?
2. Where did Aunt Reine, Uncle Jean, and their family go after they left Hong Kong?
3. What killed Adeline's grandmother?
4. How many boarders were at Sacred Heart when Adeline was enrolled there?
5. How many guests attended Lydia and Samuel's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Adeline's duckling?
2. After Adeline returned from assisting two patients who had been admitted after a car accident, what did Adeline find at home?
3. How did Adeline get out of Tianjin and to Hong Kong?
4. Why did Ye Ye say that Adeline was being sent to Tianjin rather than Hong Kong?
5. What job did Adeline arrange for herself in Hong Kong?
6. Why did Father's business change, and what new businesses did he start?
7. What advice did Father give Adeline when he and Niang visited California when she was married to Byron?
8. What were the burial rites for Adeline's grandmother?
9. How did Adeline describe her grandfather Ye Ye in Chapter 1?
10. What happened when a group of girls from Adeline's school came to her house after Adeline became class president?
Essay Topic 1
Susan was disinherited and denounced as a family member. Discuss why the conflicts Susan had with Niang led to Susan being disowned and denounced as a family member.
Essay Topic 2
Joseph broke the Confucian bond of filial piety by the way that he treated his father after Joseph's mother died. Discuss filial piety and how Ye Ye suffered because of Joseph's lack of respect.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Adeline's relationships with her siblings and how Niang interfered with the relationships that Adeline had with her siblings.
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)