|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many civilians and prisoners of war were tortured and killed during the Rape of Nanking?
2. When did Adeline begin kindergarten?
3. At what restaurant was Adeline allowed to eat in Chapter 8?
4. How many boarders were at Sacred Heart when Adeline was enrolled there?
5. When did Grand Aunt establish her own bank?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
2. How did Lydia's brothers and half brother dress for the wedding?
3. Why did the other girls begin to overlook Adeline's poverty?
4. How did Gregory solve his cash-flow problems?
5. What happened in 1939 when dikes on the Yellow River were deliberately dynamited?
6. What happened when a group of girls from Adeline's school came to her house after Adeline became class president?
7. What was Ren Yong-ping's background?
8. Why did Ye Ye say that Adeline was being sent to Tianjin rather than Hong Kong?
9. Why was it unusual that Ye Ye would have to negotiate with Niang for their allowance?
10. How and why did Mis Chien try to curry Aunt Baba's favor after Joseph and Niang left for Hong Kong with their children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the height of the Chinese Civil War, Father and Niang took Adeline to Tianjin. Discuss why it was dangerous to be in Tianjin at that time and why and how Adeline escaped Tianjin.
Essay Topic 2
When Adeline described her birth and her mother's death, she mentioned some facts that contributed to her mother's death. Discuss Adeline's birth and what contributed to her mother's death.
Essay Topic 3
Ye Ye invested money in his son's company. Discuss how Ye Ye helped Joseph get his start and how Joseph repaid the favor.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)