|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Gregory and Edgar leave Shanghai for Hong Kong and then England?
2. Where was Adeline's grand aunt born?
3. How long had it been since Adeline and her siblings been together when they gathered for the reading of her father's will?
4. How old was Adeline's grand aunt when she refused to have her feet bound?
5. How long did Niang stay in bed one time because of an argument with Father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the other girls begin to overlook Adeline's poverty?
2. What was Ren Yong-ping's background?
3. Why didn't Aunt Baba tell Grand Aunt the real reason why she wanted her old job back?
4. Why did Ye Ye say that Adeline was being sent to Tianjin rather than Hong Kong?
5. Where did Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gather for the reading of Joseph's will?
6. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
7. What happened to Adeline's duckling?
8. Why, even at the time the book was written, did Shanghai's architecture reflect the influence of foreign traders?
9. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
10. How did James get out of China in 1951?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Falling Leaves" deals with Adeline's very unhappy family life. Discuss the overall mood of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Susan was disinherited and denounced as a family member. Discuss why the conflicts Susan had with Niang led to Susan being disowned and denounced as a family member.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Adeline's relationships with her siblings and how Niang interfered with the relationships that Adeline had with her siblings.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)