|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall was Grand Aunt?
2. Upon what river was Grand Aunt's hometown situated?
3. How old was Lydia when she married Samuel?
4. During what years were westerners perceived throughout China as superior beings?
5. On the train, how long a journey was it for Aunt Baba to go from Shanghai to Tianjin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
2. What was Ren Yong-ping's background?
3. What happened to Adeline's duckling?
4. Why didn't Aunt Baba tell Grand Aunt the real reason why she wanted her old job back?
5. How did James survive life with his stepmother?
6. How did James get out of China in 1951?
7. How did Gregory solve his cash-flow problems?
8. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
9. How and why did Mis Chien try to curry Aunt Baba's favor after Joseph and Niang left for Hong Kong with their children?
10. Why did Adeline fear Edgar the most?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adeline decided she would never surrender and beg for mercy from Niang. Discuss Adeline's determination and resolve and how it affected her life with Niang.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline endured racial and sexual slights when she attended school in London. Discuss the racial and sexual discrimination and slights that Adeline endured in London and as a doctor.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline broke off her relationship with Karl and returned to Hong Kong. Discuss Adeline's relationship with Karl and why she had to leave to end it.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)