|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ye Ye married, how old was his bride?
2. When did Gregory and Edgar leave Shanghai for Hong Kong and then England?
3. From where did Samuel Sung earn a master's degree?
4. When did Father, Niang, Franklin, and Susan leave for Hong Kong ahead of the Communists?
5. On the train, how long a journey was it for Aunt Baba to go from Shanghai to Tianjin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Byron's background?
2. Where did Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gather for the reading of Joseph's will?
3. How did Lydia's brothers and half brother dress for the wedding?
4. How did Adeline describe her father in the prologue?
5. Why did Niang and Father tell Lydia that she had to marry?
6. What happened when a group of girls from Adeline's school came to her house after Adeline became class president?
7. What did C. S. do after he was asked to leave Britain?
8. Who was C. S. Tang?
9. Why didn't Aunt Baba tell Grand Aunt the real reason why she wanted her old job back?
10. What did Susan's mother-in-law do when Susan came into her marriage with two suitcases of old clothes?
Essay Topic 1
Adeline became friends with a fellow woman doctor who explained why women doctors had such unhappy marriages. Discuss Adeline's and her friend's experiences with unhappy marriages and why women doctors had troubled marriages.
Essay Topic 2
Grandmother died at the age of fifty-five. Discuss Grandmother's death and how it affected Adeline.
Essay Topic 3
Franklin contracted a type of polio and died. Discuss Franklin's death and how it changed Joseph and Niang and their relationship with one another.
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)