|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did James and Adeline sail to England?
2. How much money did Adeline receive from her father annually?
3. When did Adeline develop pneumonia?
4. What killed Adeline's grandmother?
5. What type of top was on the large, oval table that Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gathered around?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gregory solve his cash-flow problems?
2. How did Lydia's brothers and half brother dress for the wedding?
3. Why did Baba decide not to go to Hong Kong with Joseph?
4. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
5. What happened in 1939 when dikes on the Yellow River were deliberately dynamited?
6. How were legal cases tried during the late 19th century in China?
7. Why did Niang and Father tell Lydia that she had to marry?
8. Why did the other girls begin to overlook Adeline's poverty?
9. Why didn't Aunt Baba tell Grand Aunt the real reason why she wanted her old job back?
10. Who was C. S. Tang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Adeline described her birth and her mother's death, she mentioned some facts that contributed to her mother's death. Discuss Adeline's birth and what contributed to her mother's death.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline took a position that her father had secured for her. Discuss why Adeline took a position that her father had secured for her rather than a job she had found for herself.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline broke off her relationship with Karl and returned to Hong Kong. Discuss Adeline's relationship with Karl and why she had to leave to end it.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)