|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of top was on the large, oval table that Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gathered around?
2. When did Ye Ye die?
3. How many of the boarders at Sacred Heart were almost orphans?
4. What type of dog slept in the courtyard of Adeline's new home when she was reunited with her father?
5. How old was Grandmother when she died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, even at the time the book was written, did Shanghai's architecture reflect the influence of foreign traders?
2. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
3. Why didn't Aunt Baba tell Grand Aunt the real reason why she wanted her old job back?
4. How and why did Dr. Ting spurn an arranged marriage?
5. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
6. How were legal cases tried during the late 19th century in China?
7. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
8. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
9. How did Lydia's brothers and half brother dress for the wedding?
10. Where did Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gather for the reading of Joseph's will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Falling Leaves" deals with Adeline's very unhappy family life. Discuss the overall mood of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline decided she would never surrender and beg for mercy from Niang. Discuss Adeline's determination and resolve and how it affected her life with Niang.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline knew that her future was in Niang's hands. Discuss Niang's plans for Adeline's future and how Adeline was able to alter that future.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)