|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ran the school that Grand Aunt attended?
2. When did Lydia and Samuel return to Tianjin?
3. How old was Adeline when her brothers taught her to play bridge?
4. When did Adeline develop pneumonia?
5. How many siblings did Grand Aunt have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why did Dr. Ting spurn an arranged marriage?
2. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
3. How were legal cases tried during the late 19th century in China?
4. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
5. What sibling was absent from the reading of the will and not listed in Joseph's obituary?
6. Why was it unusual that Ye Ye would have to negotiate with Niang for their allowance?
7. Why did Baba decide not to go to Hong Kong with Joseph?
8. How did Adeline get out of Tianjin and to Hong Kong?
9. How did James get out of China in 1951?
10. What happened in 1939 when dikes on the Yellow River were deliberately dynamited?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adeline endured racial and sexual slights when she attended school in London. Discuss the racial and sexual discrimination and slights that Adeline endured in London and as a doctor.
Essay Topic 2
Franklin contracted a type of polio and died. Discuss Franklin's death and how it changed Joseph and Niang and their relationship with one another.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Adeline's relationships with her siblings and how Niang interfered with the relationships that Adeline had with her siblings.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)