|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Adeline's friend who sat on Adeline's left at meals?
2. What did Samuel Sung study at the university?
3. In 1942, where did Joseph go when the Japanese started demanding profits from his business?
4. What nationalities were Jeanne's parents?
5. After the collapse of the Kumomintang army in Manchuria, by how much did Tianjin's population swell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
2. Why did Adeline fear Edgar the most?
3. Why did Baba decide not to go to Hong Kong with Joseph?
4. How did James get out of China in 1951?
5. What sibling was absent from the reading of the will and not listed in Joseph's obituary?
6. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
7. What happened in 1939 when dikes on the Yellow River were deliberately dynamited?
8. Why did Niang and Father tell Lydia that she had to marry?
9. Why did the other girls begin to overlook Adeline's poverty?
10. What was Hong Kong like in 1949?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franklin contracted a type of polio and died. Discuss Franklin's death and how it changed Joseph and Niang and their relationship with one another.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline broke off her relationship with Karl and returned to Hong Kong. Discuss Adeline's relationship with Karl and why she had to leave to end it.
Essay Topic 3
Susan was disinherited and denounced as a family member. Discuss why the conflicts Susan had with Niang led to Susan being disowned and denounced as a family member.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)