|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Joseph buried?
2. Which of Adeline's family members visited her when she was in the hospital with pneumonia?
3. What is the date at the beginning of the book?
4. How many siblings did Grand Aunt have?
5. Where were the nuns from who ran Sacred Heart Convent School and Orphanage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Adeline fear Edgar the most?
2. How were legal cases tried during the late 19th century in China?
3. What happened to Adeline's duckling?
4. Why did Ye Ye say that Adeline was being sent to Tianjin rather than Hong Kong?
5. What sibling was absent from the reading of the will and not listed in Joseph's obituary?
6. How and why did Dr. Ting spurn an arranged marriage?
7. Why did Baba decide not to go to Hong Kong with Joseph?
8. What happened in 1939 when dikes on the Yellow River were deliberately dynamited?
9. What was Ren Yong-ping's background?
10. How did Lydia's brothers and half brother dress for the wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grand Aunt was an unusual woman for her time. Discuss the role of women in Chinese society in the late 1800s and the first two decades of the 1900s and how women in the book did or did not follow the dictates of society.
Essay Topic 2
"Falling Leaves" deals with Adeline's very unhappy family life. Discuss the overall mood of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Gregory's role in his father's business and why Gregory was dismissed and banished from Father's enterprises.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)