|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Adeline when her brothers taught her to play bridge?
2. Where did Aunt Reine, Uncle Jean, and their family go after they left Hong Kong?
3. What type of dog slept in the courtyard of Adeline's new home when she was reunited with her father?
4. How much money had Baba given Adeline that Adeline intended to use for a school mate's birthday present?
5. Which of Adeline's family members visited her when she was in the hospital with pneumonia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Adeline get out of Tianjin and to Hong Kong?
2. Why, even at the time the book was written, did Shanghai's architecture reflect the influence of foreign traders?
3. What happened when a group of girls from Adeline's school came to her house after Adeline became class president?
4. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
5. What was Ren Yong-ping's background?
6. Why did Ye Ye say that Adeline was being sent to Tianjin rather than Hong Kong?
7. What happened to Adeline's duckling?
8. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
9. How did Gregory solve his cash-flow problems?
10. What happened in 1939 when dikes on the Yellow River were deliberately dynamited?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grand Aunt was an unusual woman for her time. Discuss the role of women in Chinese society in the late 1800s and the first two decades of the 1900s and how women in the book did or did not follow the dictates of society.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the book is "Falling Leaves." Discuss the title of the book and why Adeline was a falling leaf that returned to her roots.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Adeline's relationships with her siblings and how Niang interfered with the relationships that Adeline had with her siblings.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)