|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many servants took care of Joseph's and Ren's household?
2. When did Father, Niang, Franklin, and Susan leave for Hong Kong ahead of the Communists?
3. Where were Gregory and Edgar living when James and Adeline arrived in London?
4. In what type of cemetery was Joseph buried?
5. Where did Aunt Reine, Uncle Jean, and their family go after they left Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the other girls begin to overlook Adeline's poverty?
2. How were legal cases tried during the late 19th century in China?
3. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
4. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
5. Why did Ye Ye say that Adeline was being sent to Tianjin rather than Hong Kong?
6. What were the burial rites for Adeline's grandmother?
7. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
8. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
9. How did James get out of China in 1951?
10. Who was C. S. Tang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gregory's role in his father's business and why Gregory was dismissed and banished from Father's enterprises.
Essay Topic 2
At the height of the Chinese Civil War, Father and Niang took Adeline to Tianjin. Discuss why it was dangerous to be in Tianjin at that time and why and how Adeline escaped Tianjin.
Essay Topic 3
Grandmother died at the age of fifty-five. Discuss Grandmother's death and how it affected Adeline.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)