|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Ciang Kai-shek resign as President of the Republic?
2. When did Chairman Mao proclaim the founding of the People's Republic or China?
3. When did Ye Ye die?
4. After she was elected class president, who ran into Adeline when she was sitting on the stairs waiting for Aunt Baba to come home?
5. When did Grand Aunt establish her own bank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was C. S. Tang?
2. How did Adeline describe her father in the prologue?
3. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
4. What happened to Adeline's duckling?
5. How did Gregory solve his cash-flow problems?
6. Why did Adeline fear Edgar the most?
7. How did James get out of China in 1951?
8. Why didn't Aunt Baba tell Grand Aunt the real reason why she wanted her old job back?
9. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
10. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Susan was disinherited and denounced as a family member. Discuss why the conflicts Susan had with Niang led to Susan being disowned and denounced as a family member.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline decided she would never surrender and beg for mercy from Niang. Discuss Adeline's determination and resolve and how it affected her life with Niang.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline broke off her relationship with Karl and returned to Hong Kong. Discuss Adeline's relationship with Karl and why she had to leave to end it.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)