|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Manchu dynasty come to an end?
2. On what floor did Grand Aunt have her flat?
3. After she was elected class president, who ran into Adeline when she was sitting on the stairs waiting for Aunt Baba to come home?
4. Where did Aunt Reine, Uncle Jean, and their family go after they left Hong Kong?
5. What was the name of the dog trainer who trained Jackie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
2. Why did Adeline fear Edgar the most?
3. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
4. Why was it unusual that Ye Ye would have to negotiate with Niang for their allowance?
5. How did James get out of China in 1951?
6. How did James survive life with his stepmother?
7. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
8. What was Ren Yong-ping's background?
9. How did Adeline describe her grandfather Ye Ye in Chapter 1?
10. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph broke the Confucian bond of filial piety by the way that he treated his father after Joseph's mother died. Discuss filial piety and how Ye Ye suffered because of Joseph's lack of respect.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline knew that her future was in Niang's hands. Discuss Niang's plans for Adeline's future and how Adeline was able to alter that future.
Essay Topic 3
Susan was disinherited and denounced as a family member. Discuss why the conflicts Susan had with Niang led to Susan being disowned and denounced as a family member.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)