|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Adeline's family members visited her when she was in the hospital with pneumonia?
2. How much extra would parents pay a month so their daughters could get extra food at Sacred Heart?
3. How old was Adeline when her mother died?
4. On the train, how long a journey was it for Aunt Baba to go from Shanghai to Tianjin?
5. What did Adeline name her little duckling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
2. Why did the other girls begin to overlook Adeline's poverty?
3. How did James get out of China in 1951?
4. How did James survive life with his stepmother?
5. What did C. S. do after he was asked to leave Britain?
6. What advice did Father give Adeline when he and Niang visited California when she was married to Byron?
7. What job did Adeline arrange for herself in Hong Kong?
8. What was Hong Kong like in 1949?
9. What did the biopsy report reveal about Niang's illness?
10. Where did Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gather for the reading of Joseph's will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adeline married Byron six weeks after her arrival in America. Discuss the signs that indicated Adeline's marriage would end in divorce.
Essay Topic 2
"Falling Leaves" deals with Adeline's very unhappy family life. Discuss the overall mood of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Grandmother died at the age of fifty-five. Discuss Grandmother's death and how it affected Adeline.
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)