|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Chairman Mao proclaim the founding of the People's Republic or China?
2. Where did Aunt Reine, Uncle Jean, and their family go after they left Hong Kong?
3. What was the name of the ocean liner that James and Adeline sailed on when they went to England?
4. When did Adeline begin kindergarten?
5. How old was Samuel when he and Lydia married?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
2. Why did the other girls begin to overlook Adeline's poverty?
3. How did Lydia's brothers and half brother dress for the wedding?
4. Why did Niang and Father tell Lydia that she had to marry?
5. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
6. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
7. How and why did Dr. Ting spurn an arranged marriage?
8. What was Ren Yong-ping's background?
9. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
10. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph broke the Confucian bond of filial piety by the way that he treated his father after Joseph's mother died. Discuss filial piety and how Ye Ye suffered because of Joseph's lack of respect.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline became friends with a fellow woman doctor who explained why women doctors had such unhappy marriages. Discuss Adeline's and her friend's experiences with unhappy marriages and why women doctors had troubled marriages.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline took a position that her father had secured for her. Discuss why Adeline took a position that her father had secured for her rather than a job she had found for herself.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)