|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had it been since Adeline and her siblings been together when they gathered for the reading of her father's will?
2. What was the name of a play that Adeline wrote?
3. At what restaurant was Adeline allowed to eat in Chapter 8?
4. How old was Miss Chien when Joseph and Niang fled to Hong Kong?
5. What killed Ye Ye?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gather for the reading of Joseph's will?
2. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
3. How and why did Mis Chien try to curry Aunt Baba's favor after Joseph and Niang left for Hong Kong with their children?
4. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
5. How did Adeline get out of Tianjin and to Hong Kong?
6. Why did Ye Ye say that Adeline was being sent to Tianjin rather than Hong Kong?
7. How did Lydia's brothers and half brother dress for the wedding?
8. How and why did Dr. Ting spurn an arranged marriage?
9. How were legal cases tried during the late 19th century in China?
10. How did Gregory solve his cash-flow problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gregory's role in his father's business and why Gregory was dismissed and banished from Father's enterprises.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline knew that her future was in Niang's hands. Discuss Niang's plans for Adeline's future and how Adeline was able to alter that future.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline decided she would never surrender and beg for mercy from Niang. Discuss Adeline's determination and resolve and how it affected her life with Niang.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)