|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Niang stay in bed one time because of an argument with Father?
2. What type of dog slept in the courtyard of Adeline's new home when she was reunited with her father?
3. How many cinemas did Tianjin have?
4. When was Adeline's grand aunt born?
5. How old was Lydia when she married Samuel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Adeline describe her grandfather Ye Ye in Chapter 1?
2. How did James survive life with his stepmother?
3. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
4. Why, even at the time the book was written, did Shanghai's architecture reflect the influence of foreign traders?
5. How did James get out of China in 1951?
6. Why did Ye Ye say that Adeline was being sent to Tianjin rather than Hong Kong?
7. How did Lydia's brothers and half brother dress for the wedding?
8. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
9. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
10. How and why did Mis Chien try to curry Aunt Baba's favor after Joseph and Niang left for Hong Kong with their children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adeline knew that her future was in Niang's hands. Discuss Niang's plans for Adeline's future and how Adeline was able to alter that future.
Essay Topic 2
Grandmother died at the age of fifty-five. Discuss Grandmother's death and how it affected Adeline.
Essay Topic 3
Franklin contracted a type of polio and died. Discuss Franklin's death and how it changed Joseph and Niang and their relationship with one another.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)