|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cinemas did Tianjin have?
2. When did the Red Army triumphantly enter Shanghai?
3. What killed Adeline's grandmother?
4. After she was elected class president, who ran into Adeline when she was sitting on the stairs waiting for Aunt Baba to come home?
5. Who ran the school that Grand Aunt attended?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ren Yong-ping's background?
2. How did James get out of China in 1951?
3. How did Adeline get out of Tianjin and to Hong Kong?
4. Why did Ye Ye say that Adeline was being sent to Tianjin rather than Hong Kong?
5. How did Adeline describe her father in the prologue?
6. Why did Baba decide not to go to Hong Kong with Joseph?
7. Why did Niang and Father tell Lydia that she had to marry?
8. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
9. Who was C. S. Tang?
10. What happened to Adeline's duckling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Adeline's relationships with her siblings and how Niang interfered with the relationships that Adeline had with her siblings.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline married Byron six weeks after her arrival in America. Discuss the signs that indicated Adeline's marriage would end in divorce.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline knew that her future was in Niang's hands. Discuss Niang's plans for Adeline's future and how Adeline was able to alter that future.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)