|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the ocean liner that James and Adeline sailed on when they went to England?
2. To what ages of children was a play writing competition open that Adeline entered?
3. How old was Jeanne when she married Joseph?
4. When did Adeline's father die?
5. When did Grand Aunt establish her own bank?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice did Father give Adeline when he and Niang visited California when she was married to Byron?
2. How did Lydia's brothers and half brother dress for the wedding?
3. What did Lydia want from Adeline?
4. What did Aunt Baba do after Joseph, Niang, and their family left?
5. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
6. Why didn't Aunt Baba tell Grand Aunt the real reason why she wanted her old job back?
7. What did the biopsy report reveal about Niang's illness?
8. What was the diagnosis of Joseph's illness?
9. What did Joseph say when Aunt Baba informed him that Miss Chien had been stealing?
10. Why did Niang and Father tell Lydia that she had to marry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph broke the Confucian bond of filial piety by the way that he treated his father after Joseph's mother died. Discuss filial piety and how Ye Ye suffered because of Joseph's lack of respect.
Essay Topic 2
Grandmother died at the age of fifty-five. Discuss Grandmother's death and how it affected Adeline.
Essay Topic 3
The title of the book is "Falling Leaves." Discuss the title of the book and why Adeline was a falling leaf that returned to her roots.
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)