|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Adeline when her mother died?
2. On what floor did Grand Aunt have her flat?
3. How much of her salary did Aunt Baba give Ye Ye?
4. When did the Manchu dynasty come to an end?
5. How much extra would parents pay a month so their daughters could get extra food at Sacred Heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was C. S. Tang?
2. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
3. Why did Adeline fear Edgar the most?
4. How did Adeline describe her grandfather Ye Ye in Chapter 1?
5. What sibling was absent from the reading of the will and not listed in Joseph's obituary?
6. Why did Ye Ye say that Adeline was being sent to Tianjin rather than Hong Kong?
7. How were legal cases tried during the late 19th century in China?
8. What were the burial rites for Adeline's grandmother?
9. How and why did Dr. Ting spurn an arranged marriage?
10. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franklin contracted a type of polio and died. Discuss Franklin's death and how it changed Joseph and Niang and their relationship with one another.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Adeline's relationships with her siblings and how Niang interfered with the relationships that Adeline had with her siblings.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline knew that her future was in Niang's hands. Discuss Niang's plans for Adeline's future and how Adeline was able to alter that future.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)