|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Ciang Kai-shek resign as President of the Republic?
2. When Ye Ye married, how old was his bride?
3. After the collapse of the Kumomintang army in Manchuria, by how much did Tianjin's population swell?
4. What killed Ye Ye?
5. Where did Adeline sleep the few times she was allowed to go home when she lived at Sacred Heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Adeline learn about Byron shortly after they married?
2. What did Adeline find in Niang's antique Chinese desk?
3. How did James survive life with his stepmother?
4. What was the diagnosis of Joseph's illness?
5. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
6. What did Susan's mother-in-law do when Susan came into her marriage with two suitcases of old clothes?
7. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
8. What did Bob Mah have to do during Pearl Harbor?
9. How did James get out of China in 1951?
10. Who was C. S. Tang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandmother died at the age of fifty-five. Discuss Grandmother's death and how it affected Adeline.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline knew that her future was in Niang's hands. Discuss Niang's plans for Adeline's future and how Adeline was able to alter that future.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Gregory's role in his father's business and why Gregory was dismissed and banished from Father's enterprises.
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)