|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of top was on the large, oval table that Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gathered around?
2. How old was Jeanne when she married Joseph?
3. When did Ye Ye die?
4. What was the name of a play that Adeline wrote?
5. How long had it been since Adeline and her siblings been together when they gathered for the reading of her father's will?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ren Yong-ping's background?
2. How did James get out of China in 1951?
3. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
4. What happened in 1939 when dikes on the Yellow River were deliberately dynamited?
5. How did Lydia's brothers and half brother dress for the wedding?
6. Why did Ye Ye say that Adeline was being sent to Tianjin rather than Hong Kong?
7. What were the burial rites for Adeline's grandmother?
8. What sibling was absent from the reading of the will and not listed in Joseph's obituary?
9. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
10. Why, even at the time the book was written, did Shanghai's architecture reflect the influence of foreign traders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James became his father's heir apparent, but paid a high price to do so. Discuss what it cost James to become his father's heir and do his father's bidding.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline knew that her future was in Niang's hands. Discuss Niang's plans for Adeline's future and how Adeline was able to alter that future.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline became friends with a fellow woman doctor who explained why women doctors had such unhappy marriages. Discuss Adeline's and her friend's experiences with unhappy marriages and why women doctors had troubled marriages.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)