Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the corpse that Adeline and her dissection partner worked on?
2. When did Britain demand and receive a 99 year lease on the Kowloon peninsula?
3. After his marriage to Ren, what type of car did Joseph buy for himself?
4. In 1942, where did Joseph go when the Japanese started demanding profits from his business?
5. How old was Miss Chien when Joseph and Niang fled to Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why did Mis Chien try to curry Aunt Baba's favor after Joseph and Niang left for Hong Kong with their children?
2. How was Aunt Baba when Adeline saw her in March, 1994?
3. What did Lydia want from Adeline?
4. How did Gregory solve his cash-flow problems?
5. What did Gregory tell Adeline about boy/girl relationships?
6. What happened to H. H. after he was asked to leave Britain?
7. What was the diagnosis of Joseph's illness?
8. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
9. What did Adeline find in Niang's antique Chinese desk?
10. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
Essay Topic 1
Grand Aunt was an unusual woman for her time. Discuss the role of women in Chinese society in the late 1800s and the first two decades of the 1900s and how women in the book did or did not follow the dictates of society.
Essay Topic 2
"Falling Leaves" deals with Adeline's very unhappy family life. Discuss the overall mood of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline endured racial and sexual slights when she attended school in London. Discuss the racial and sexual discrimination and slights that Adeline endured in London and as a doctor.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)