|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1942, where did Joseph go when the Japanese started demanding profits from his business?
2. How much extra would parents pay a month so their daughters could get extra food at Sacred Heart?
3. During what years were westerners perceived throughout China as superior beings?
4. After the collapse of the Kumomintang army in Manchuria, by how much did Tianjin's population swell?
5. What time did Adeline's days begin when she stayed at Sacred Heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the other girls begin to overlook Adeline's poverty?
2. Why did Baba decide not to go to Hong Kong with Joseph?
3. What were the burial rites for Adeline's grandmother?
4. What happened to Adeline's duckling?
5. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
6. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
7. Where did Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gather for the reading of Joseph's will?
8. How and why did Dr. Ting spurn an arranged marriage?
9. How did James survive life with his stepmother?
10. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gregory's role in his father's business and why Gregory was dismissed and banished from Father's enterprises.
Essay Topic 2
Grand Aunt was an unusual woman for her time. Discuss the role of women in Chinese society in the late 1800s and the first two decades of the 1900s and how women in the book did or did not follow the dictates of society.
Essay Topic 3
Grandmother died at the age of fifty-five. Discuss Grandmother's death and how it affected Adeline.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)