|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Red Army triumphantly enter Shanghai?
2. What nationalities were Jeanne's parents?
3. What did Adeline name her little duckling?
4. When did Grand Aunt establish her own bank?
5. On what floor did Grand Aunt have her flat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did James get out of China in 1951?
2. Why did Adeline fear Edgar the most?
3. How did Adeline describe her grandfather Ye Ye in Chapter 1?
4. Why, even at the time the book was written, did Shanghai's architecture reflect the influence of foreign traders?
5. What was Hong Kong like in 1949?
6. Why did Baba decide not to go to Hong Kong with Joseph?
7. How and why did Mis Chien try to curry Aunt Baba's favor after Joseph and Niang left for Hong Kong with their children?
8. What sibling was absent from the reading of the will and not listed in Joseph's obituary?
9. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
10. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gregory's role in his father's business and why Gregory was dismissed and banished from Father's enterprises.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline became friends with a fellow woman doctor who explained why women doctors had such unhappy marriages. Discuss Adeline's and her friend's experiences with unhappy marriages and why women doctors had troubled marriages.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline took a position that her father had secured for her. Discuss why Adeline took a position that her father had secured for her rather than a job she had found for herself.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)