|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Adeline's father die?
2. How much money did Adeline receive from her father annually?
3. Who ran the school that Grand Aunt attended?
4. What killed Ye Ye?
5. After his marriage to Ren, what type of car did Joseph buy for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gather for the reading of Joseph's will?
2. What happened in 1939 when dikes on the Yellow River were deliberately dynamited?
3. How did Adeline describe her father in the prologue?
4. Why did the other girls begin to overlook Adeline's poverty?
5. Why, even at the time the book was written, did Shanghai's architecture reflect the influence of foreign traders?
6. How and why did Dr. Ting spurn an arranged marriage?
7. How did Adeline get out of Tianjin and to Hong Kong?
8. How did James get out of China in 1951?
9. Who was C. S. Tang?
10. Why did Adeline fear Edgar the most?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph broke the Confucian bond of filial piety by the way that he treated his father after Joseph's mother died. Discuss filial piety and how Ye Ye suffered because of Joseph's lack of respect.
Essay Topic 2
Grandmother died at the age of fifty-five. Discuss Grandmother's death and how it affected Adeline.
Essay Topic 3
When Adeline described her birth and her mother's death, she mentioned some facts that contributed to her mother's death. Discuss Adeline's birth and what contributed to her mother's death.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)