|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ye Ye married, how old was his bride?
2. After she was elected class president, who ran into Adeline when she was sitting on the stairs waiting for Aunt Baba to come home?
3. How old was Adeline when her brothers taught her to play bridge?
4. Where was Joseph buried?
5. What did Samuel Sung study at the university?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in 1939 when dikes on the Yellow River were deliberately dynamited?
2. What was Ren Yong-ping's background?
3. Why didn't Aunt Baba tell Grand Aunt the real reason why she wanted her old job back?
4. Why did Niang and Father tell Lydia that she had to marry?
5. Who was C. S. Tang?
6. What happened when a group of girls from Adeline's school came to her house after Adeline became class president?
7. Where did Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gather for the reading of Joseph's will?
8. Why was it unusual that Ye Ye would have to negotiate with Niang for their allowance?
9. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
10. What was Hong Kong like in 1949?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the height of the Chinese Civil War, Father and Niang took Adeline to Tianjin. Discuss why it was dangerous to be in Tianjin at that time and why and how Adeline escaped Tianjin.
Essay Topic 2
When Adeline described her birth and her mother's death, she mentioned some facts that contributed to her mother's death. Discuss Adeline's birth and what contributed to her mother's death.
Essay Topic 3
James became his father's heir apparent, but paid a high price to do so. Discuss what it cost James to become his father's heir and do his father's bidding.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)