|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far was the eastern side of Grand Aunt's hometown from the Pacific Ocean?
2. When did Adeline develop pneumonia?
3. How many guests attended Lydia and Samuel's wedding?
4. Who ran the school that Grand Aunt attended?
5. How long was the traditional Buddhist mourning period?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was C. S. Tang?
2. Why did Adeline fear Edgar the most?
3. How did Adeline get out of Tianjin and to Hong Kong?
4. How did Gregory solve his cash-flow problems?
5. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
6. How were legal cases tried during the late 19th century in China?
7. Where did Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gather for the reading of Joseph's will?
8. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
9. Why didn't Aunt Baba tell Grand Aunt the real reason why she wanted her old job back?
10. How did Lydia's brothers and half brother dress for the wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandmother died at the age of fifty-five. Discuss Grandmother's death and how it affected Adeline.
Essay Topic 2
"Falling Leaves" deals with Adeline's very unhappy family life. Discuss the overall mood of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline decided she would never surrender and beg for mercy from Niang. Discuss Adeline's determination and resolve and how it affected her life with Niang.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)