|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Adeline when her brothers taught her to play bridge?
2. Where was Joseph buried?
3. Jeanne's mother was from ______________.
4. What nationalities were Jeanne's parents?
5. When Ye Ye married, how old was his bride?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did James survive life with his stepmother?
2. What happened in 1939 when dikes on the Yellow River were deliberately dynamited?
3. How did Gregory solve his cash-flow problems?
4. How were legal cases tried during the late 19th century in China?
5. What was Ren Yong-ping's background?
6. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
7. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
8. How did Adeline describe her grandfather Ye Ye in Chapter 1?
9. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
10. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the height of the Chinese Civil War, Father and Niang took Adeline to Tianjin. Discuss why it was dangerous to be in Tianjin at that time and why and how Adeline escaped Tianjin.
Essay Topic 2
Grandmother died at the age of fifty-five. Discuss Grandmother's death and how it affected Adeline.
Essay Topic 3
The title of the book is "Falling Leaves." Discuss the title of the book and why Adeline was a falling leaf that returned to her roots.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)