|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did the Shanghai police once find chained to the wall of a tin factory?
2. Upon what river was Grand Aunt's hometown situated?
(a) Huangpu River.
(b) Nandu River.
(c) Yong River
(d) Yangtse River.
3. Who ran the school that Grand Aunt attended?
(a) Catholic nuns.
(b) British Congregationalists.
(c) American Methodists.
(d) French protestants.
4. At what restaurant was Adeline allowed to eat in Chapter 8?
(a) The Bistro.
(b) A restaurant at the Peninsula Hotel.
(c) A restaurant at the Mainland Hotel.
(d) The Manhattan.
5. How old was Miss Chien when Joseph and Niang fled to Hong Kong?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much extra would parents pay a month so their daughters could get extra food at Sacred Heart?
2. In 1942, where did Joseph go when the Japanese started demanding profits from his business?
3. When did Gregory and Edgar leave Shanghai for Hong Kong and then England?
4. When did Ciang Kai-shek resign as President of the Republic?
5. Where did Lydia, her husband, and his parents flee in January 1949?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gather for the reading of Joseph's will?
2. Why, even at the time the book was written, did Shanghai's architecture reflect the influence of foreign traders?
3. What was Ren Yong-ping's background?
4. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
5. Why did Baba decide not to go to Hong Kong with Joseph?
6. How did James get out of China in 1951?
7. How did Adeline describe her father in the prologue?
8. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
9. What happened when a group of girls from Adeline's school came to her house after Adeline became class president?
10. Why did Ye Ye say that Adeline was being sent to Tianjin rather than Hong Kong?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)