|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his marriage to Ren, what type of car did Joseph buy for himself?
2. When did Ciang Kai-shek resign as President of the Republic?
(a) April 6, 1949.
(b) February 12, 1949.
(c) March 18, 1949.
(d) January 21, 1949.
3. When was Adeline's grand aunt born?
4. What time did Adeline and her siblings gather to hear the reading of their father's will?
(a) 4:30 p.m.
(b) 2:30 p.m.
(c) 5:30 p.m.
(d) 3:30 p.m.
5. When was Hong Kong ceded to the British?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the ocean liner that James and Adeline sailed on when they went to England?
2. Upon what river was Grand Aunt's hometown situated?
3. When did Chairman Mao proclaim the founding of the People's Republic or China?
4. After she was elected class president, who ran into Adeline when she was sitting on the stairs waiting for Aunt Baba to come home?
5. What was the name of James' wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ren Yong-ping's background?
2. How did Adeline describe her grandfather Ye Ye in Chapter 1?
3. How did Lydia's brothers and half brother dress for the wedding?
4. Why, even at the time the book was written, did Shanghai's architecture reflect the influence of foreign traders?
5. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
6. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
7. Why did Niang and Father tell Lydia that she had to marry?
8. Who was C. S. Tang?
9. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
10. Where did Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gather for the reading of Joseph's will?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)