|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Ye Ye die?
(a) February 21, 1952.
(b) April 2, 1952.
(c) March 27, 1952.
(d) January 25, 1952.
2. When did Father, Niang, Franklin, and Susan leave for Hong Kong ahead of the Communists?
(a) November, 1948.
(b) February, 1949.
(c) January, 1949.
(d) December, 1948.
3. How much money was Lydia given for her dowry?
4. How old was Adeline's grand aunt when she refused to have her feet bound?
5. When did Lydia and Samuel return to Tianjin?
Short Answer Questions
1. During what years were westerners perceived throughout China as superior beings?
2. On what floor did Grand Aunt have her flat?
3. When did Britain demand and receive a 99 year lease on the Kowloon peninsula?
4. In what type of cemetery was Joseph buried?
5. How long had it been since Adeline and her siblings been together when they gathered for the reading of her father's will?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Baba decide not to go to Hong Kong with Joseph?
2. How were legal cases tried during the late 19th century in China?
3. What did Adeline find in Niang's antique Chinese desk?
4. What did Adeline have to do to get a California medical license?
5. Why did Father's business change, and what new businesses did he start?
6. Why was it unusual that Ye Ye would have to negotiate with Niang for their allowance?
7. How did James get out of China in 1951?
8. What did C. S. do after he was asked to leave Britain?
9. How and why did Dr. Ting spurn an arranged marriage?
10. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)