|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many boarders were at Sacred Heart when Adeline was enrolled there?
2. When did Father, Niang, Franklin, and Susan leave for Hong Kong ahead of the Communists?
(a) December, 1948.
(b) February, 1949.
(c) January, 1949.
(d) November, 1948.
3. What killed Adeline's grandmother?
(b) Lung cancer.
(d) Heart attack.
4. Where did Aunt Reine, Uncle Jean, and their family go after they left Hong Kong?
5. What killed Ye Ye?
(d) Heart attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the collapse of the Kumomintang army in Manchuria, by how much did Tianjin's population swell?
2. Where did Adeline sleep the few times she was allowed to go home when she lived at Sacred Heart?
3. How long after Grandmother's death, were Adeline, Lydia, Gregory, and Edgar taken to the train station?
4. How much of her salary did Aunt Baba give Ye Ye?
5. When Ye Ye married, how old was his bride?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mr. Lu say that no friends would come to Niang's funeral?
2. How did Adeline describe her father in the prologue?
3. What did Aunt Baba do after Joseph, Niang, and their family left?
4. What happened to H. H. after he was asked to leave Britain?
5. How did James get out of China in 1951?
6. What did Bob Mah have to do during Pearl Harbor?
7. What did Adeline have to do to get a California medical license?
8. Why, even at the time the book was written, did Shanghai's architecture reflect the influence of foreign traders?
9. What was Byron's background?
10. What happened when a group of girls from Adeline's school came to her house after Adeline became class president?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)