|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Adeline's grand aunt born?
2. When did the Red Army triumphantly enter Shanghai?
(a) August 18, 1949.
(b) July 3, 1949.
(c) May 25, 1949.
(d) June 12, 1949.
3. When did Gregory and Edgar leave Shanghai for Hong Kong and then England?
4. When Adeline attended medical school, what percentage of students were female?
(a) Less than 20 percent.
(b) 10 percent.
(c) 5 percent.
(d) Less than 15 percent.
5. At what restaurant was Adeline allowed to eat in Chapter 8?
(a) The Bistro.
(b) The Manhattan.
(c) A restaurant at the Peninsula Hotel.
(d) A restaurant at the Mainland Hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What killed Ye Ye?
2. Where did Adeline sleep the few times she was allowed to go home when she lived at Sacred Heart?
3. When Ye Ye married, how old was his bride?
4. How tall was Grand Aunt?
5. How many siblings did Grand Aunt have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hong Kong like in 1949?
2. Who was C. S. Tang?
3. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
4. Why did Adeline fear Edgar the most?
5. How did James survive life with his stepmother?
6. Why did the other girls begin to overlook Adeline's poverty?
7. How did Adeline describe her grandfather Ye Ye in Chapter 1?
8. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
9. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
10. Where did Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gather for the reading of Joseph's will?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)