|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Adeline develop pneumonia?
2. What time did Adeline and her siblings gather to hear the reading of their father's will?
(a) 3:30 p.m.
(b) 5:30 p.m.
(c) 4:30 p.m.
(d) 2:30 p.m.
3. How many civilians and prisoners of war were tortured and killed during the Rape of Nanking?
4. When did Ye Ye die?
(a) February 21, 1952.
(b) March 27, 1952.
(c) January 25, 1952.
(d) April 2, 1952.
5. Where was Adeline's grand aunt born?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what type of cemetery was Joseph buried?
2. What was the name of a play that Adeline wrote?
3. When did Ciang Kai-shek resign as President of the Republic?
4. What color bedspread was Lydia given when she moved down to the first floor?
5. How much of her salary did Aunt Baba give Ye Ye?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why did Mis Chien try to curry Aunt Baba's favor after Joseph and Niang left for Hong Kong with their children?
2. Why, even at the time the book was written, did Shanghai's architecture reflect the influence of foreign traders?
3. Why did Niang and Father tell Lydia that she had to marry?
4. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
5. How did Adeline describe her grandfather Ye Ye in Chapter 1?
6. How did Adeline describe her father in the prologue?
7. How did Gregory solve his cash-flow problems?
8. Why was it unusual that Ye Ye would have to negotiate with Niang for their allowance?
9. Who was C. S. Tang?
10. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)