|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Lydia when she married Samuel?
2. Where did Aunt Reine, Uncle Jean, and their family go after they left Hong Kong?
3. When did Samuel Sung return to China after studying in America?
4. In 1942, where did Joseph go when the Japanese started demanding profits from his business?
(b) Hong Kong.
5. When did Gregory and Edgar leave Shanghai for Hong Kong and then England?
Short Answer Questions
1. During what years were westerners perceived throughout China as superior beings?
2. When Ye Ye married, how old was his bride?
3. How old was the corpse that Adeline and her dissection partner worked on?
4. What did Samuel Sung study at the university?
5. On the train, how long a journey was it for Aunt Baba to go from Shanghai to Tianjin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Adeline describe her grandfather Ye Ye in Chapter 1?
2. What were the burial rites for Adeline's grandmother?
3. Why did Niang and Father tell Lydia that she had to marry?
4. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
5. Why didn't Aunt Baba tell Grand Aunt the real reason why she wanted her old job back?
6. Why did Ye Ye say that Adeline was being sent to Tianjin rather than Hong Kong?
7. How were legal cases tried during the late 19th century in China?
8. What happened in 1939 when dikes on the Yellow River were deliberately dynamited?
9. How and why did Mis Chien try to curry Aunt Baba's favor after Joseph and Niang left for Hong Kong with their children?
10. How did James survive life with his stepmother?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)