|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Lydia when she married Samuel?
2. Where did Lydia, her husband, and his parents flee in January 1949?
(a) Hong Kong.
3. What was the name of a play that Adeline wrote?
(a) The Bank.
(b) Grasshopper War.
(c) Gone with the Locusts.
(d) The Orchard.
4. How old was Jeanne when she married Joseph?
5. Where was Joseph buried?
(a) South Point.
(b) North Point.
(c) East Point.
(d) West Point.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ran the school that Grand Aunt attended?
2. When did Adeline develop pneumonia?
3. When was Hong Kong ceded to the British?
4. On the train, how long a journey was it for Aunt Baba to go from Shanghai to Tianjin?
5. When did Adeline begin kindergarten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Adeline's duckling?
2. What happened when a group of girls from Adeline's school came to her house after Adeline became class president?
3. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
4. How did James get out of China in 1951?
5. What sibling was absent from the reading of the will and not listed in Joseph's obituary?
6. How did Adeline describe her grandfather Ye Ye in Chapter 1?
7. What was Hong Kong like in 1949?
8. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
9. Why, even at the time the book was written, did Shanghai's architecture reflect the influence of foreign traders?
10. Who was C. S. Tang?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)