|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color bedspread was Lydia given when she moved down to the first floor?
2. When was Adeline's grand aunt born?
3. After the collapse of the Kumomintang army in Manchuria, by how much did Tianjin's population swell?
(a) 20 percent.
(b) 15 percent.
(c) 5 percent.
(d) 10 percent.
4. When did James and Adeline sail to England?
5. Where were Gregory and Edgar living when James and Adeline arrived in London?
(a) Crouch End.
(b) Burlington Estate.
(c) Heath Park.
(d) Earl's Court.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of James' wife?
2. What did Adeline name her little duckling?
3. When did Adeline develop pneumonia?
4. Which of Adeline's family members visited her when she was in the hospital with pneumonia?
5. When were all Chinese to turn in their old banknotes, gold, silver, and foreign currency?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, even at the time the book was written, did Shanghai's architecture reflect the influence of foreign traders?
2. How and why did Mis Chien try to curry Aunt Baba's favor after Joseph and Niang left for Hong Kong with their children?
3. How did Adeline describe her grandfather Ye Ye in Chapter 1?
4. What happened in 1939 when dikes on the Yellow River were deliberately dynamited?
5. What was Hong Kong like in 1949?
6. How did Gregory solve his cash-flow problems?
7. How did Adeline get out of Tianjin and to Hong Kong?
8. Why did Niang and Father tell Lydia that she had to marry?
9. How did Lydia's brothers and half brother dress for the wedding?
10. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)