|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what restaurant was Adeline allowed to eat in Chapter 8?
(a) A restaurant at the Mainland Hotel.
(b) The Manhattan.
(c) A restaurant at the Peninsula Hotel.
(d) The Bistro.
2. How far was the eastern side of Grand Aunt's hometown from the Pacific Ocean?
(a) 40 miles.
(b) 35 miles.
(c) 25 miles.
(d) 50 miles.
3. To what ages of children was a play writing competition open that Adeline entered?
4. On the train, how long a journey was it for Aunt Baba to go from Shanghai to Tianjin?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two days.
(c) One week.
(d) Two weeks.
5. When did Samuel Sung return to China after studying in America?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many guests attended Lydia and Samuel's wedding?
2. What nationalities were Jeanne's parents?
3. How long had it been since Adeline and her siblings been together when they gathered for the reading of her father's will?
4. How far was Sacred Heart primary school from Adeline's home?
5. Where were the nuns from who ran Sacred Heart Convent School and Orphanage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why did Mis Chien try to curry Aunt Baba's favor after Joseph and Niang left for Hong Kong with their children?
2. What were the burial rites for Adeline's grandmother?
3. What sibling was absent from the reading of the will and not listed in Joseph's obituary?
4. Where did Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gather for the reading of Joseph's will?
5. How did James survive life with his stepmother?
6. Why did Baba decide not to go to Hong Kong with Joseph?
7. How did Adeline describe her father in the prologue?
8. Why did Adeline fear Edgar the most?
9. What happened in 1939 when dikes on the Yellow River were deliberately dynamited?
10. What was Ren Yong-ping's background?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)