|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Hong Kong ceded to the British?
2. What type of top was on the large, oval table that Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gathered around?
3. When did the Red Army triumphantly enter Shanghai?
(a) July 3, 1949.
(b) May 25, 1949.
(c) June 12, 1949.
(d) August 18, 1949.
4. When did James and Adeline sail to England?
5. How many civilians and prisoners of war were tortured and killed during the Rape of Nanking?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Adeline's grand aunt when she refused to have her feet bound?
2. In what type of cemetery was Joseph buried?
3. Where were the nuns from who ran Sacred Heart Convent School and Orphanage?
4. When did Samuel Sung return to China after studying in America?
5. To what ages of children was a play writing competition open that Adeline entered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hong Kong like in 1949?
2. Why did the other girls begin to overlook Adeline's poverty?
3. Why did Niang and Father tell Lydia that she had to marry?
4. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
5. Why was it unusual that Ye Ye would have to negotiate with Niang for their allowance?
6. What were the burial rites for Adeline's grandmother?
7. How did Lydia's brothers and half brother dress for the wedding?
8. Why didn't Aunt Baba tell Grand Aunt the real reason why she wanted her old job back?
9. How did James get out of China in 1951?
10. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)