|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Manchu dynasty come to an end?
(a) September 15, 1911.
(b) August 18, 1911.
(c) October 10, 1911.
(d) July 13, 1911.
2. How old was the corpse that Adeline and her dissection partner worked on?
3. How many boarders were at Sacred Heart when Adeline was enrolled there?
4. After the collapse of the Kumomintang army in Manchuria, by how much did Tianjin's population swell?
(a) 5 percent.
(b) 10 percent.
(c) 15 percent.
(d) 20 percent.
5. What killed Adeline's grandmother?
(a) Heart attack.
(d) Lung cancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Aunt Reine, Uncle Jean, and their family go after they left Hong Kong?
2. During what years were westerners perceived throughout China as superior beings?
3. When was Hong Kong ceded to the British?
4. What was the name of James' wife?
5. Where did Lydia, her husband, and his parents flee in January 1949?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in 1939 when dikes on the Yellow River were deliberately dynamited?
2. What was Hong Kong like in 1949?
3. What happened when a group of girls from Adeline's school came to her house after Adeline became class president?
4. Where did Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gather for the reading of Joseph's will?
5. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
6. How were legal cases tried during the late 19th century in China?
7. How did Adeline get out of Tianjin and to Hong Kong?
8. How did Adeline describe her grandfather Ye Ye in Chapter 1?
9. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
10. Who was C. S. Tang?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)