|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of James' wife?
2. How old was Grandmother when she died?
3. During what years were westerners perceived throughout China as superior beings?
4. How far was the eastern side of Grand Aunt's hometown from the Pacific Ocean?
(a) 35 miles.
(b) 40 miles.
(c) 25 miles.
(d) 50 miles.
5. What was the name of the ocean liner that James and Adeline sailed on when they went to England?
(a) SS Canton.
(b) SS China.
(c) SS Baradine.
(d) SS Arcadia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color bedspread was Lydia given when she moved down to the first floor?
2. When did Lydia and Samuel return to Tianjin?
3. In what type of cemetery was Joseph buried?
4. How long after Grandmother's death, were Adeline, Lydia, Gregory, and Edgar taken to the train station?
5. To what ages of children was a play writing competition open that Adeline entered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, even at the time the book was written, did Shanghai's architecture reflect the influence of foreign traders?
2. Where did Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gather for the reading of Joseph's will?
3. What were the burial rites for Adeline's grandmother?
4. How did Adeline describe her father in the prologue?
5. Why did Ye Ye say that Adeline was being sent to Tianjin rather than Hong Kong?
6. Why didn't Aunt Baba tell Grand Aunt the real reason why she wanted her old job back?
7. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
8. What business did Grand Aunt's eldest brother establish?
9. What sibling was absent from the reading of the will and not listed in Joseph's obituary?
10. What happened to Adeline's duckling?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)