|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was the traditional Buddhist mourning period?
(a) 150 days.
(b) 100 days.
(c) 50 days.
(d) 75 days.
2. When did Adeline's father die?
(a) April 10, 1988.
(b) May 13, 1988.
(c) June 24, 1988.
(d) March 20, 1988.
3. When Ye Ye married, how old was his bride?
4. How many eggs did Gregory use to make an omelet when Father and Niang went to Tianjin?
5. What time did Adeline and her siblings gather to hear the reading of their father's will?
(a) 5:30 p.m.
(b) 2:30 p.m.
(c) 3:30 p.m.
(d) 4:30 p.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Manchu dynasty come to an end?
2. How old was Miss Chien when Joseph and Niang fled to Hong Kong?
3. What type of top was on the large, oval table that Adeline, her siblings, and her stepmother gathered around?
4. Where were Gregory and Edgar living when James and Adeline arrived in London?
5. How long did Niang stay in bed one time because of an argument with Father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the burial rites for Adeline's grandmother?
2. Why didn't Aunt Baba tell Grand Aunt the real reason why she wanted her old job back?
3. What sibling was absent from the reading of the will and not listed in Joseph's obituary?
4. In the late 1920s, how was Shanghai different from the rest of China?
5. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
6. Why was it unusual that Ye Ye would have to negotiate with Niang for their allowance?
7. What happened to Adeline's duckling?
8. Why did Hwa Chong Hong leave Tianjin in 1926?
9. How did Adeline describe her father in the prologue?
10. What happened in 1939 when dikes on the Yellow River were deliberately dynamited?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)