|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Lydia, her husband, and his parents flee in January 1949?
(d) Hong Kong.
2. At what restaurant was Adeline allowed to eat in Chapter 8?
(a) A restaurant at the Mainland Hotel.
(b) The Bistro.
(c) A restaurant at the Peninsula Hotel.
(d) The Manhattan.
3. How old was Samuel when he and Lydia married?
4. From where did Samuel Sung earn a master's degree?
(a) Notre Dame University.
(b) Purdue University.
(c) Michigan State.
(d) Drake University.
5. How tall was Grand Aunt?
(a) 5 ft. 4 in.
(b) 5 ft. 7 in.
(c) 5 ft. 2 in.
(d) 4 ft. 11 in.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what river was Grand Aunt's hometown situated?
2. When did Ciang Kai-shek resign as President of the Republic?
3. Where was Joseph buried?
4. How old was Miss Chien when Joseph and Niang fled to Hong Kong?
5. When Adeline attended medical school, what percentage of students were female?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lydia and Samuel do when Father ordered them to move out of his house in Tianjin?
2. How did Adeline describe her grandfather Ye Ye in Chapter 1?
3. How did James survive life with his stepmother?
4. Why did Baba decide not to go to Hong Kong with Joseph?
5. What did Father decide about Adeline's future after she won a play writing competition?
6. Why didn't Aunt Baba tell Grand Aunt the real reason why she wanted her old job back?
7. Why did Adeline fear Edgar the most?
8. Why did the other girls begin to overlook Adeline's poverty?
9. How did James get out of China in 1951?
10. How did Adeline describe her father in the prologue?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)