|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How close was the hotel where Bob and Adleine stayed in Shanghai to the Sheng Xin primary school that Adeline had attended?
(a) Two miles.
(b) One mile.
(c) A few hundred yards.
(d) About three blocks.
2. When was Grand Aunt forced to resign from all her duties at the Women's Bank?
3. What percent of the population in Hong Kong in the 1960s were Chinese?
(a) 99 percent.
(b) 75 percent.
(c) 80 percent.
(d) 60 percent.
4. When was Niang's funeral held?
(a) May 30.
(b) August 12.
(c) September 17.
(d) June 21.
5. What was H. H. Tien studying?
(d) Applied mathematics.
6. Where was Tai-way's wedding held?
(c) New York.
(d) New Jersey.
7. How much did Father pay Gregory and James to work for him?
(a) $200 a month.
(b) $300 a month.
(c) $350 a month.
(d) $250 a month.
8. How much of Niang's estate did Adleine receive?
(a) 15 percent.
(b) 5 percent.
(c) 10 percent.
9. Where did James have to live in Hong Kong before Gregory came back?
(a) A youth hostel.
(c) With Father and Niang.
(d) A small apartment with six roommates.
10. Mrs. Hsu was from ______________.
11. What game did Aunt Baba and her friend switch to when mah-jong became illegal?
12. After Byron tore up the house and left it a mess, what time did he return?
(a) 8 a.m.
(d) 6 a.m.
13. What time would Father summon his chauffeur to drive him to the club at Stanley?
(a) 7 a.m.
(b) 6 a.m.
(c) 4 a.m.
(d) 5 a.m.
14. Where did Father want Adeline to work at Hong Kong University?
(b) Pediatrics and Adolescent medicine.
(c) Obstetrics and Gynecology.
15. What was Byron's salary when they moved to California?
(a) $900 a month.
(b) $850 a month.
(c) $800 a month.
(d) $750 a month.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Gregory's wife's name?
2. When was Roger born?
3. When did Bob Mah's parents emigrate to San Francisco?
4. How many of Bob's brothers enlisted during World War II?
5. Why did Niang need surgery?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)