* In the prologue, Adeline and her siblings were waiting to hear the reading of their father's will at an attorney's office.
* They were told not to read the will past the front page, and they did as they were told.
* At the request of their stepmother, the lawyer told them that their father's estate had no money, and they inherited nothing.
* Adeline began to retell the story of her ancestry to explain why she and her siblings obeyed their stepmother without question.
* In Chapter 1, Adeline told the story of her grand aunt who, when she was three, bucked tradition by refusing to have her feet bound.
* Grand Aunt, Adeline's grandfather, Ye Ye, and the other members of the family lived in Shanghai.
* Women's Bank was founded by Grand Aunt.
* This bank catered to the needs of women and was successful because there women were treated better...
This section contains 3,363 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)