|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of award is Richie given from the army after his injuries?
2. Who is the first to open fire on the Vietnamese soldiers, allowing the chopper to land safely?
3. What do the American soldiers remove from the dead soldiers to keep the enemy from identifying them?
4. Which of the following soldiers does NOT have a letter from Gearhart to his wife in their possession?
5. What is waiting for Richie when he enters one of the huts in the recently pacified village?
Essay Topic 1
The idea of heroism is present alongside the romanticism of soldiers. Choose two soldiers in the novel and describe the vocalizations these soldiers raise about heroism. Then, compare/contrast those vocalizations to the actual reactions the soldier see when they are faced with moments of heroism.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, many myths of what happens to a good, or strong, soldier are presented. Chose two military myths that were presented in the novel, and explain the ways that the reality of war in Richie's experience dispelled those myths.
Essay Topic 3
In many of his missions throughout Vietnam, Richie wonders whether the American troops are there to help the Vietnamese villages or there to harm them. Choose two instances in the novel in which the moral ambiguity of the situation was highlighted. Then, explain how those instances led to Richie's uncertainty over the war in general.
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)