|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Johnson's advice to Richie when they are discussing the war protesters?
2. What does Richie do when Brew is dying?
3. Which soldier freezes in sudden panic and needs Gearhart to scream him back into obedience?
4. After the trauma of visiting the recently pacified Vietnamese village, whose bed does Richie sleep in for comfort?
5. Who is the first to open fire on the Vietnamese soldiers, allowing the chopper to land safely?
Essay Topic 1
Richie struggles, through much of the novel, to differentiate the difference between the "good guys" and the "bad guys" in war. Explain Richie's though process and how its changed over his time in Vietnam. Then briefly explain how the novel presents the idea of what is "good" and "bad" about war.
Essay Topic 2
When Richie enters the army, he has firm beliefs of what his tour on duty will be like. Throughout his time in Vietnam, Richie's views about war changes many more times. Describe the way that Richie thought the war would be like when he entered the service, and then briefly describe the ways that his views of fighting changed over his time in Vietnam.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the novel, Rings makes a bizarre offer to RIchie and Peewee in order to cement their brotherhood.
Part 1) Describe the offer that RIngs presented and his reasoning behind it.
Part 2) Explain the ritual that Peewee and Richie partook in to cement their own brotherhood.
Part 3) Explain the way that Peewee and RIchie's ritual stuck with them throughout their time in war, and what it meant to them.
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)