|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who opens fire on the Vietnamese soldiers?
2. What do the American soldiers remove from the dead soldiers to keep the enemy from identifying them?
3. Which character gets into a power struggle with Stewart, telling the men to follow him when Stewart tells them all to stay down?
4. How does Richie get away from the fight after he has been shot?
5. During the fight to reclaim Vietnamese land, what part of Dongan's body is blown off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the soldiers see great traumas during their time in Vietnam, and each of the soldiers has their own coping mechanism. Choose two soldiers from the novel describe the scenes that most affected them during their time in service. Then, briefly compare/contrast their coping mechanisms.
Essay Topic 2
The novel "Fallen Angels" is set at a time of American history in which the Civil Rights movement was pushing forward.
Part 1) Describe the way that racism in "the World" is presented in the novel.
Part 2) Describe the way that racism in the army is presented in the novel.
Part 3) Briefly discuss whether or not you feel that the novel presented the American history of the time in a fair and balanced way.
Essay Topic 3
The title of the novel is a very powerful one. Briefly describe the scene in which the title of the novel was first mentioned, and then explain how the title acts as a symbol for the soldiers fighting in the Vietnam war.
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)