|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Vietnamese soldiers holding as bait, trying to encourage the chopper to arrive?
2. When the Vietcong are hiding under the water, what are they breathing with?
3. What reason does Captain Stewart give to the soldiers as to why they will be going on a reconnaissance mission?
4. Which soldier accidentally releases a flare during a fight, revealing the position of the troops?
5. What type of award is Richie given from the army after his injuries?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Kenny's letter to Richie about Johnny Robinson, what does he say?
2. What does Richie do with his Purple Heart?
3. How does Richie explain the shooting of the Vietcong soldier to his brother, Kenny?
4. How does Richie kill his first Vietcong soldier, and what is his reaction to the killing?
5. What power struggle arises between Johnson and Stewart in the battlefield of the reclaimed hill?
6. What letter does Gearhart give to Richie and Walowick to hold onto?
7. How are Richie and Peewee separated from the rest of their troop?
8. How does it come to be that Richie is shot?
9. What happens when the Vietnamese allies want the American troops to help them capture a crucial hill?
10. Where do Richie and Peewee spend the night when they are separated from their squad, and how do they find their way there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War movies are a major theme throughout the novel.
Part 1) Explain the relationship that Lobel has with Hollywood and describe the way that it affects his fighting.
Part 2) Describe the ways that war movies romanticize soldiers.
Part 3) Describe the way that "Fallen Angels' dispels the myths of war romanticism
Essay Topic 2
The dog tags of the soldiers are powerful symbols for their identification in the military. Describe the ways that the dog tags are used throughout the novel and explain the significance of the moment when all the dog tags of the fallen soldiers are lost.
Essay Topic 3
The novel presents many different leaders in the novel's army. Choose three of the military leaders in the novel and briefly describe each of their leadership styles. Then briefly describe the way that the soldiers reacted to each of their leadership styles.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)