|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is waiting for Richie when he enters one of the huts in the recently pacified village?
2. Which soldier promises to come to Richie and Peewee's aid if problems arise in camp over their new lieutenant?
3. What is the name of the Vietnamese New Year?
4. What is the name of the character sent in to replace Sergeant Simpson?
5. What do the American soldiers do to the bodies of their dead soldiers to prevent the enemy from mutilating them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Richie and Peewee separated from the rest of their troop?
2. What power struggle arises between Johnson and Stewart in the battlefield of the reclaimed hill?
3. What is the reaction among the troops when the newspaper arrives with photos of war protesters burning their draft cards?
4. What race relation issues come to light during the time of Vietnamese Tet?
5. What letter does Gearhart give to Richie and Walowick to hold onto?
6. Who is with Brew when he dies?
7. How does it come to be that Richie is shot?
8. Where do Richie and Peewee spend the night when they are separated from their squad, and how do they find their way there?
9. How do the American soldiers prepare the bodies of their fallen soldiers so that the enemy cannot mutilate them?
10. How does Richie explain the shooting of the Vietcong soldier to his brother, Kenny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Richie enters the army, he has firm beliefs of what his tour on duty will be like. Throughout his time in Vietnam, Richie's views about war changes many more times. Describe the way that Richie thought the war would be like when he entered the service, and then briefly describe the ways that his views of fighting changed over his time in Vietnam.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the novel is a very powerful one. Briefly describe the scene in which the title of the novel was first mentioned, and then explain how the title acts as a symbol for the soldiers fighting in the Vietnam war.
Essay Topic 3
The idea of heroism is present alongside the romanticism of soldiers. Choose two soldiers in the novel and describe the vocalizations these soldiers raise about heroism. Then, compare/contrast those vocalizations to the actual reactions the soldier see when they are faced with moments of heroism.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)