|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Johnson's advice to Richie when they are discussing the war protesters?
2. What offer does Gearhart give the soldiers to keep them safe?
3. How did Richie know Johnny Robinson?
4. Why doesn't the grenade that Richie throws into the Vietnamese hut explode?
5. What type of soldier does the new lieutenant like to put in the most dangerous military positions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What letter does Gearhart give to Richie and Walowick to hold onto?
2. When does Richie realize that Johnson would have been a natural-born leader?
3. What do the American soldiers see when they return to the village in Vietnam that they had recently tried to pacify?
4. What does Richie do with his Purple Heart?
5. What happens during the Lieutenant Gearhart's first reconnaissance mission in Vietnam?
6. How does Richie explain the shooting of the Vietcong soldier to his brother, Kenny?
7. What race relation issues come to light during the time of Vietnamese Tet?
8. What offer does Gearhart make for the troops, when it is realized that the squads are unequally staffed?
9. How does Richie kill his first Vietcong soldier, and what is his reaction to the killing?
10. How does Monaco escape the clutches of the Vietnamese soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War movies are a major theme throughout the novel.
Part 1) Explain the relationship that Lobel has with Hollywood and describe the way that it affects his fighting.
Part 2) Describe the ways that war movies romanticize soldiers.
Part 3) Describe the way that "Fallen Angels' dispels the myths of war romanticism
Essay Topic 2
Richie struggles, through much of the novel, to differentiate the difference between the "good guys" and the "bad guys" in war. Explain Richie's though process and how its changed over his time in Vietnam. Then briefly explain how the novel presents the idea of what is "good" and "bad" about war.
Essay Topic 3
All of the soldiers in Richie's squad have joined the army for very different reasons. Choose three soldiers from Richie's squad and briefly describe their reasons for joining the army. Then, explain how those motivations affected the soldier's performance in battle.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)