|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is waiting for Richie when he enters one of the huts in the recently pacified village?
2. How did Richie know Johnny Robinson?
3. When the troops are attacked, trying to capture the piece of Vietnamese land, how does Richie feel?
4. Who does Richie feel certain is the good guy in the Vietnam war.
5. Who does Brunner blame for the shortage of men in his squad?
Essay Topic 1
The novel "Fallen Angels" is set at a time of American history in which the Civil Rights movement was pushing forward.
Part 1) Describe the way that racism in "the World" is presented in the novel.
Part 2) Describe the way that racism in the army is presented in the novel.
Part 3) Briefly discuss whether or not you feel that the novel presented the American history of the time in a fair and balanced way.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this novel, the theme of innocence is presented through the soldiers' naivety. Briefly describe one scene that highlights the innocence of one or more of the soldiers. Then describe the way that the novel functions as a testament to the loss of youth through war.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, the reader sees Richie's view of family shift after he makes relationships with other soldiers in his squad.
Part 1) Describe Richie's relationship with his family back home before he enlists in the army.
Part 2) Describe the fantasies that Richie has about family while he is in Vietnam.
Part 3) Describe the way that Peewee, and other soldiers in the squad, fill in for blood family while Richie is away.
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)