|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the fight over land in Vietnam, what is dropped by jet plane into the clearing?
2. After Richie and Peewee are separated from their squad, where do they spend the night?
3. Which of the following best describes the fight in which the troops is attempting to reclaim Vietnamese land?
4. After Richie's discussion with Johnson about the war protestors, what does he fall asleep thinking about?
5. Which soldier promises to come to Richie and Peewee's aid if problems arise in camp over their new lieutenant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What letter does Gearhart give to Richie and Walowick to hold onto?
2. What does Richie do with his Purple Heart?
3. How does Richie kill his first Vietcong soldier, and what is his reaction to the killing?
4. What race relation issues come to light during the time of Vietnamese Tet?
5. In Kenny's letter to Richie about Johnny Robinson, what does he say?
6. What offer does Gearhart make for the troops, when it is realized that the squads are unequally staffed?
7. When does Richie realize that Johnson would have been a natural-born leader?
8. What do the American soldiers see when they return to the village in Vietnam that they had recently tried to pacify?
9. What conversation does Richie get into with Johnson about the war protesters?
10. How does Richie explain the shooting of the Vietcong soldier to his brother, Kenny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel "Fallen Angels" is set at a time of American history in which the Civil Rights movement was pushing forward.
Part 1) Describe the way that racism in "the World" is presented in the novel.
Part 2) Describe the way that racism in the army is presented in the novel.
Part 3) Briefly discuss whether or not you feel that the novel presented the American history of the time in a fair and balanced way.
Essay Topic 2
"Fallen Angel" has sometimes been called an antiwar novel. Do you agree with this assessment? Why or why not. Discuss the ways that the novel acts as an antiwar novel and the ways that it acts as a pro-war novel.
Essay Topic 3
The letters that the soldiers send home are the only outlet that they have to their families.
Part 1) Explain the importance of the letters written from the soldiers to their families.
Part 2) Explain the importance of the letters written from family to the soldiers.
Part 3) Compare/contrast the letter writing processes of Richie and Peewee.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)