|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American holiday is approaching at the same time as the Vietnamese New Year?
2. What is the name of the Vietnamese New Year?
3. What is Johnson's advice to Richie when they are discussing the war protesters?
4. Which of the following soldiers does NOT have a letter from Gearhart to his wife in their possession?
5. Which character gets into a power struggle with Stewart, telling the men to follow him when Stewart tells them all to stay down?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation does Richie get into with Johnson about the war protesters?
2. Who is with Brew when he dies?
3. Where do Richie and Peewee spend the night when they are separated from their squad, and how do they find their way there?
4. What offer does Gearhart make for the troops, when it is realized that the squads are unequally staffed?
5. When does Richie realize that Johnson would have been a natural-born leader?
6. In Kenny's letter to Richie about Johnny Robinson, what does he say?
7. How does Monaco escape the clutches of the Vietnamese soldiers?
8. What does Richie do with his Purple Heart?
9. What is the reaction among the troops when the newspaper arrives with photos of war protesters burning their draft cards?
10. How do the American soldiers prepare the bodies of their fallen soldiers so that the enemy cannot mutilate them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Richie enters the army, he has firm beliefs of what his tour on duty will be like. Throughout his time in Vietnam, Richie's views about war changes many more times. Describe the way that Richie thought the war would be like when he entered the service, and then briefly describe the ways that his views of fighting changed over his time in Vietnam.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the soldiers in the novel have big dreams for themselves when they get out of the army. Choose three soldiers from Richie's squad and explain what their dreams for the future are. Then, explain how these dreams affected the soldiers' performance in battle.
Essay Topic 3
All of the soldiers see great traumas during their time in Vietnam, and each of the soldiers has their own coping mechanism. Choose two soldiers from the novel describe the scenes that most affected them during their time in service. Then, briefly compare/contrast their coping mechanisms.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)