|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is waiting for Richie when he enters one of the huts in the recently pacified village?
2. How did Richie know Johnny Robinson?
3. When the troops are attacked, trying to capture the piece of Vietnamese land, how does Richie feel?
4. Who does Richie feel certain is the good guy in the Vietnam war.
5. Who does Brunner blame for the shortage of men in his squad?
Essay Topic 1
The dog tags of the soldiers are powerful symbols for their identification in the military. Describe the ways that the dog tags are used throughout the novel and explain the significance of the moment when all the dog tags of the fallen soldiers are lost.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the soldiers in the novel have big dreams for themselves when they get out of the army. Choose three soldiers from Richie's squad and explain what their dreams for the future are. Then, explain how these dreams affected the soldiers' performance in battle.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, many myths of what happens to a good, or strong, soldier are presented. Chose two military myths that were presented in the novel, and explain the ways that the reality of war in Richie's experience dispelled those myths.
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)