|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Richie and Peewee make their way to after being separated from the squad?
2. Which character gets into a power struggle with Stewart, telling the men to follow him when Stewart tells them all to stay down?
3. In the attempt to escape the Vietnamese troops, where is Richie shot?
4. What does Richie tell Kenny in the letter he writes about the Vietcong soldier?
5. How did Richie know Johnny Robinson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the novel is a very powerful one. Briefly describe the scene in which the title of the novel was first mentioned, and then explain how the title acts as a symbol for the soldiers fighting in the Vietnam war.
Essay Topic 2
Richie struggles, through much of the novel, to differentiate the difference between the "good guys" and the "bad guys" in war. Explain Richie's though process and how its changed over his time in Vietnam. Then briefly explain how the novel presents the idea of what is "good" and "bad" about war.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, many myths of what happens to a good, or strong, soldier are presented. Chose two military myths that were presented in the novel, and explain the ways that the reality of war in Richie's experience dispelled those myths.
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)