|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in high school, what did Richie want to be when he grew up?
2. What is Judy Duncan's occupation?
3. Who does Johnson get into a racially charged argument with?
4. Where is the man living that Richie used to write letters to and contemplates asking the man to return the favor?
5. Which soldier kills the first enemy soldier that Richie sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. After returning from a Vietnamese village, what does Sergeant Simpson tell the troops Captain Stewart?
2. What happens when Richie sees the body bags lined up at his base?
3. What happens to Richie's knee, and why is he still sent to Vietnam?
4. How does RIchie cope with the trauma that he witnesses while on patrol with the Charlie Company?
5. What are the soldiers told during their orientation speech upon arrival to Chu Lia?
6. During the slow days, what does Richie learn about his fellow soldiers Brew, Lobel, and Monaco?
7. What happens when the new soldiers meet Johnson?
8. What news does Peewee receive from home in a letter from Earlene?
9. Who is Rings, and what does he suggest that Richie and Peewee do?
10. What does Lobel tell Richie about himself, and his obsession with Hollywood, while the two are on patrol together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, the reader sees Richie's view of family shift after he makes relationships with other soldiers in his squad.
Part 1) Describe Richie's relationship with his family back home before he enlists in the army.
Part 2) Describe the fantasies that Richie has about family while he is in Vietnam.
Part 3) Describe the way that Peewee, and other soldiers in the squad, fill in for blood family while Richie is away.
Essay Topic 2
The dog tags of the soldiers are powerful symbols for their identification in the military. Describe the ways that the dog tags are used throughout the novel and explain the significance of the moment when all the dog tags of the fallen soldiers are lost.
Essay Topic 3
The title of the novel is a very powerful one. Briefly describe the scene in which the title of the novel was first mentioned, and then explain how the title acts as a symbol for the soldiers fighting in the Vietnam war.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)