|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the soldier that Richie is paired up with during his Charlie Company patrol?
2. What job does Sergeant Simpson offer to Richie to get him out of the fighting?
3. What city is Peewee from?
4. When he was in high school, who told Richie that he had a good shot of getting into college?
5. What is the name of the camp where Peewee and Richie's platoon is sent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Richie's response to seeing his first dead enemy soldier?
2. Before the troops see any action, what does Richie think about the fighting?
3. What is the reaction of the soldiers when they receive their assignments to be moved to Chu Lia?
4. What question does the film crew ask to the soldiers, and what are their responses?
5. How does RIchie cope with the trauma that he witnesses while on patrol with the Charlie Company?
6. What footage do the soldiers watch after the ambush, and what is their reaction?
7. Why do the American troops ambush the village that they had recently pacified?
8. What news does Peewee receive from home in a letter from Earlene?
9. Why does Lobel feel that he is responsible for Lieutenant Carroll's death, and how does Richie console him?
10. What happens when Richie sees the body bags lined up at his base?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many of his missions throughout Vietnam, Richie wonders whether the American troops are there to help the Vietnamese villages or there to harm them. Choose two instances in the novel in which the moral ambiguity of the situation was highlighted. Then, explain how those instances led to Richie's uncertainty over the war in general.
Essay Topic 2
The letters that the soldiers send home are the only outlet that they have to their families.
Part 1) Explain the importance of the letters written from the soldiers to their families.
Part 2) Explain the importance of the letters written from family to the soldiers.
Part 3) Compare/contrast the letter writing processes of Richie and Peewee.
Essay Topic 3
"Fallen Angel" has sometimes been called an antiwar novel. Do you agree with this assessment? Why or why not. Discuss the ways that the novel acts as an antiwar novel and the ways that it acts as a pro-war novel.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)