Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jenkins tell Richie that he fears about being in the army?
2. Who approaches Richie to tell him that his medical records still haven't arrived?
3. Who does Lobel warn Richie not to become?
4. What is Judy Duncan's occupation?
5. What war is going on during the years in which the novel is set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the Lieutenant Gearhart's first reconnaissance mission in Vietnam?
2. What letter does Gearhart give to Richie and Walowick to hold onto?
3. What happens to Richie's knee, and why is he still sent to Vietnam?
4. Where do Richie and Peewee spend the night when they are separated from their squad, and how do they find their way there?
5. After returning from a Vietnamese village, what does Sergeant Simpson tell the troops Captain Stewart?
6. What does Richie do with his Purple Heart?
7. What advice does Walowick give to Richie in regard to the dead Vietcong soldier?
8. In Chapter 1, what sounds does Richie hear when he falls asleep at night, and how does he comfort himself in Vietnam?
9. How does Monaco escape the clutches of the Vietnamese soldiers?
10. During the slow days, what does Richie learn about his fellow soldiers Brew, Lobel, and Monaco?
Essay Topic 1
The dog tags of the soldiers are powerful symbols for their identification in the military. Describe the ways that the dog tags are used throughout the novel and explain the significance of the moment when all the dog tags of the fallen soldiers are lost.
Essay Topic 2
The novel presents many different leaders in the novel's army. Choose three of the military leaders in the novel and briefly describe each of their leadership styles. Then briefly describe the way that the soldiers reacted to each of their leadership styles.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, many myths of what happens to a good, or strong, soldier are presented. Chose two military myths that were presented in the novel, and explain the ways that the reality of war in Richie's experience dispelled those myths.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)