|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which military leader is rumored to have attempted to dodge the draft?
2. Which soldier is well known for doing funny imitations of voices?
3. Which soldier kills the first enemy soldier that Richie sees?
4. What board game does Richie play twice a week?
5. What type of airplane does the squad hear flying close to them while they are having a quiet day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peewee ask Richie to write a letter to Earlene on his behalf?
2. What reasons drew Richie into joining the army?
3. What offer does Lieutenant Carroll give to Richie in regard to his medical records, and what is Richie's response?
4. What happens when Richie sees the body bags lined up at his base?
5. What happens during the new soldiers first night on patrol?
6. What news does Peewee receive from home in a letter from Earlene?
7. What does Lobel tell Richie about himself, and his obsession with Hollywood, while the two are on patrol together?
8. Why is Richie sent on patrol with the Charlie Company?
9. What question does the film crew ask to the soldiers, and what are their responses?
10. Who is Rings, and what does he suggest that Richie and Peewee do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the novel is a very powerful one. Briefly describe the scene in which the title of the novel was first mentioned, and then explain how the title acts as a symbol for the soldiers fighting in the Vietnam war.
Essay Topic 2
The novel presents many different leaders in the novel's army. Choose three of the military leaders in the novel and briefly describe each of their leadership styles. Then briefly describe the way that the soldiers reacted to each of their leadership styles.
Essay Topic 3
The dog tags of the soldiers are powerful symbols for their identification in the military. Describe the ways that the dog tags are used throughout the novel and explain the significance of the moment when all the dog tags of the fallen soldiers are lost.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)