|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following medications is brought to a Vietnamese village by the troops?
2. In what state does Richard Perry live as a high school student?
3. During the prayer, what is Jenkins called?
4. What job does Sergeant Simpson offer to Richie to get him out of the fighting?
5. Which member of Lieutenant Carroll's family was also in the army and passed on his army vocabulary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Richie is out on patrol with the Charlie Company?
2. Why does Peewee ask Richie to write a letter to Earlene on his behalf?
3. What does Lobel tell Richie about himself, and his obsession with Hollywood, while the two are on patrol together?
4. What does Captain Stewart change about Monaco's kill report, and why?
5. What are the soldiers told during their orientation speech upon arrival to Chu Lia?
6. Why isn't Richie able to answer the question about his future goals when speaking to the Red Cross workers?
7. What happens to Richie's knee, and why is he still sent to Vietnam?
8. What question does the film crew ask to the soldiers, and what are their responses?
9. What is Richie's response to seeing his first dead enemy soldier?
10. Why is Richie sent on patrol with the Charlie Company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel presents many different leaders in the novel's army. Choose three of the military leaders in the novel and briefly describe each of their leadership styles. Then briefly describe the way that the soldiers reacted to each of their leadership styles.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this novel, the theme of innocence is presented through the soldiers' naivety. Briefly describe one scene that highlights the innocence of one or more of the soldiers. Then describe the way that the novel functions as a testament to the loss of youth through war.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the soldiers in the novel have big dreams for themselves when they get out of the army. Choose three soldiers from Richie's squad and explain what their dreams for the future are. Then, explain how these dreams affected the soldiers' performance in battle.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)