|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medical problem does Richie come down with, prompting him to take several days off to recover?
2. What is Richie's response to the offer regarding his medical records?
3. How many soldiers in Richie's platoon are promoted after the village ambush?
4. What is the name of the soldier that was once a star high school athlete?
5. What is the name of the soldier that approaches Richie and Peewee in the breakfast hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Richie's response to seeing his first dead enemy soldier?
2. Why does Richard Perry decide to join the army?
3. Why does Peewee ask Richie to write a letter to Earlene on his behalf?
4. Why is Richie's troop reassigned from the pacification mission in the village?
5. Why do the American troops ambush the village that they had recently pacified?
6. How do the more experienced soldiers feel when they see the new soldiers arriving?
7. What footage do the soldiers watch after the ambush, and what is their reaction?
8. Before the troops see any action, what does Richie think about the fighting?
9. What is the reaction of the soldiers when they receive their assignments to be moved to Chu Lia?
10. What are the soldiers told during their orientation speech upon arrival to Chu Lia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The letters that the soldiers send home are the only outlet that they have to their families.
Part 1) Explain the importance of the letters written from the soldiers to their families.
Part 2) Explain the importance of the letters written from family to the soldiers.
Part 3) Compare/contrast the letter writing processes of Richie and Peewee.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the novel is a very powerful one. Briefly describe the scene in which the title of the novel was first mentioned, and then explain how the title acts as a symbol for the soldiers fighting in the Vietnam war.
Essay Topic 3
"Fallen Angel" has sometimes been called an antiwar novel. Do you agree with this assessment? Why or why not. Discuss the ways that the novel acts as an antiwar novel and the ways that it acts as a pro-war novel.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)