|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jenkins tell Richie that he fears about being in the army?
2. How does Lieutenant Doyle feel about this war?
3. What city is Peewee from?
4. What city is Lobel obsessed with, and constantly speaks about?
5. What board game does Richie play twice a week?
Short Essay Questions
1. What offer does Lieutenant Carroll give to Richie in regard to his medical records, and what is Richie's response?
2. What question does the film crew ask to the soldiers, and what are their responses?
3. What is Richie's response to seeing his first dead enemy soldier?
4. Why does Jenkins say that he has joined the army, and what is his fear of war?
5. Why does Peewee ask Richie to write a letter to Earlene on his behalf?
6. Why does Lobel feel that he is responsible for Lieutenant Carroll's death, and how does Richie console him?
7. During the slow days, what does Richie learn about his fellow soldiers Brew, Lobel, and Monaco?
8. What happens when Richie sees the body bags lined up at his base?
9. Why isn't Richie able to answer the question about his future goals when speaking to the Red Cross workers?
10. How do the more experienced soldiers feel when they see the new soldiers arriving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the novel is a very powerful one. Briefly describe the scene in which the title of the novel was first mentioned, and then explain how the title acts as a symbol for the soldiers fighting in the Vietnam war.
Essay Topic 2
Richie's medical records float through the novel, appearing regularly to remind the reader how unorganized then military office is during the war. Briefly explain what the medical records meant to Richie, and how their inability to be locked down led the reader to see the chaos and uncertainty of war.
Essay Topic 3
The novel presents many different leaders in the novel's army. Choose three of the military leaders in the novel and briefly describe each of their leadership styles. Then briefly describe the way that the soldiers reacted to each of their leadership styles.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)