|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is Johnson called by another character, prompting a racially charged arguement?
2. What does the soldier in the breakfast hall suggest that the three of them should mingle?
3. What is the name of the company that Richie is sent on patrol with after missing his own squad's patrol?
4. How does Richie feel about seeing his fellow soldier die during their first patrol?
5. What does the squad sergeant call inexperienced soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Richie sees the body bags lined up at his base?
2. What footage do the soldiers watch after the ambush, and what is their reaction?
3. How does Lieutenant Carroll die?
4. How do the soldiers pass the time around the barracks when they have no missions to attend to?
5. Before the troops see any action, what does Richie think about the fighting?
6. What is the reaction of the soldiers when they receive their assignments to be moved to Chu Lia?
7. How do the more experienced soldiers feel when they see the new soldiers arriving?
8. Why does Lobel feel that he is responsible for Lieutenant Carroll's death, and how does Richie console him?
9. Who is Rings, and what does he suggest that Richie and Peewee do?
10. Why does Richard Perry decide to join the army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, the reader sees Richie's view of family shift after he makes relationships with other soldiers in his squad.
Part 1) Describe Richie's relationship with his family back home before he enlists in the army.
Part 2) Describe the fantasies that Richie has about family while he is in Vietnam.
Part 3) Describe the way that Peewee, and other soldiers in the squad, fill in for blood family while Richie is away.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Rings makes a bizarre offer to RIchie and Peewee in order to cement their brotherhood.
Part 1) Describe the offer that RIngs presented and his reasoning behind it.
Part 2) Explain the ritual that Peewee and Richie partook in to cement their own brotherhood.
Part 3) Explain the way that Peewee and RIchie's ritual stuck with them throughout their time in war, and what it meant to them.
Essay Topic 3
In many of his missions throughout Vietnam, Richie wonders whether the American troops are there to help the Vietnamese villages or there to harm them. Choose two instances in the novel in which the moral ambiguity of the situation was highlighted. Then, explain how those instances led to Richie's uncertainty over the war in general.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)