|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Lieutenant Carroll?
2. What position did Jenkins's father hold in the army?
3. While in high school, what did Richie want to be when he grew up?
4. In what Japanese city does Richie's airplane have a layover?
5. What is the name of the extraordinarily strong black soldier that Richie and Peewee meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the soldiers while they are on a layover in Osaka, Japan?
2. How does RIchie cope with the trauma that he witnesses while on patrol with the Charlie Company?
3. What happens when the new soldiers meet Johnson?
4. What happens when Richie is out on patrol with the Charlie Company?
5. Where did the term "Angel Warriors" come from?
6. How does Lieutenant Carroll die?
7. In Chapter 1, what sounds does Richie hear when he falls asleep at night, and how does he comfort himself in Vietnam?
8. After returning from a Vietnamese village, what does Sergeant Simpson tell the troops Captain Stewart?
9. Why does Peewee ask Richie to write a letter to Earlene on his behalf?
10. Why does Jenkins say that he has joined the army, and what is his fear of war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the novel, Rings makes a bizarre offer to RIchie and Peewee in order to cement their brotherhood.
Part 1) Describe the offer that RIngs presented and his reasoning behind it.
Part 2) Explain the ritual that Peewee and Richie partook in to cement their own brotherhood.
Part 3) Explain the way that Peewee and RIchie's ritual stuck with them throughout their time in war, and what it meant to them.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this novel, the theme of innocence is presented through the soldiers' naivety. Briefly describe one scene that highlights the innocence of one or more of the soldiers. Then describe the way that the novel functions as a testament to the loss of youth through war.
Essay Topic 3
The novel "Fallen Angels" is set at a time of American history in which the Civil Rights movement was pushing forward.
Part 1) Describe the way that racism in "the World" is presented in the novel.
Part 2) Describe the way that racism in the army is presented in the novel.
Part 3) Briefly discuss whether or not you feel that the novel presented the American history of the time in a fair and balanced way.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)