|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which soldier is killed on the first night of patrol?
2. How does Richie feel about seeing his fellow soldier die during their first patrol?
3. Which member of Lobel's family is a film director?
4. What does the soldier in the breakfast hall suggest that the three of them should mingle?
5. What is the name of the soldier that approaches Richie and Peewee in the breakfast hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the term "Angel Warriors" come from?
2. What advice does Walowick give to Richie in regard to the dead Vietcong soldier?
3. How does RIchie cope with the trauma that he witnesses while on patrol with the Charlie Company?
4. In Chapter 1, what sounds does Richie hear when he falls asleep at night, and how does he comfort himself in Vietnam?
5. After returning from a Vietnamese village, what does Sergeant Simpson tell the troops Captain Stewart?
6. Why do the American troops ambush the village that they had recently pacified?
7. What happens during the new soldiers first night on patrol?
8. Who is Rings, and what does he suggest that Richie and Peewee do?
9. Why does Peewee ask Richie to write a letter to Earlene on his behalf?
10. Why is Richie's troop reassigned from the pacification mission in the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Richie enters the army, he has firm beliefs of what his tour on duty will be like. Throughout his time in Vietnam, Richie's views about war changes many more times. Describe the way that Richie thought the war would be like when he entered the service, and then briefly describe the ways that his views of fighting changed over his time in Vietnam.
Essay Topic 2
The dog tags of the soldiers are powerful symbols for their identification in the military. Describe the ways that the dog tags are used throughout the novel and explain the significance of the moment when all the dog tags of the fallen soldiers are lost.
Essay Topic 3
In many of his missions throughout Vietnam, Richie wonders whether the American troops are there to help the Vietnamese villages or there to harm them. Choose two instances in the novel in which the moral ambiguity of the situation was highlighted. Then, explain how those instances led to Richie's uncertainty over the war in general.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)