|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the friendly fire of the Charlie Company patrol, how many American soldiers are killed?
2. When Richie is pondering his own death, who does he wonder will miss him?
3. What does Jenkins tell Richie that he fears about being in the army?
4. When the troops go on pacification missions, who are they trying to convince the villagers are the enemy?
5. When the troops receive word about Charlie Company, how many of their men have been lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the soldiers told during their orientation speech upon arrival to Chu Lia?
2. Why does Lobel feel that he is responsible for Lieutenant Carroll's death, and how does Richie console him?
3. Who is Rings, and what does he suggest that Richie and Peewee do?
4. Where did the term "Angel Warriors" come from?
5. How do the more experienced soldiers feel when they see the new soldiers arriving?
6. What footage do the soldiers watch after the ambush, and what is their reaction?
7. What news does Peewee receive from home in a letter from Earlene?
8. What happens to the soldiers while they are on a layover in Osaka, Japan?
9. Why isn't Richie able to answer the question about his future goals when speaking to the Red Cross workers?
10. What offer does Lieutenant Carroll give to Richie in regard to his medical records, and what is Richie's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel "Fallen Angels" is set at a time of American history in which the Civil Rights movement was pushing forward.
Part 1) Describe the way that racism in "the World" is presented in the novel.
Part 2) Describe the way that racism in the army is presented in the novel.
Part 3) Briefly discuss whether or not you feel that the novel presented the American history of the time in a fair and balanced way.
Essay Topic 2
War movies are a major theme throughout the novel.
Part 1) Explain the relationship that Lobel has with Hollywood and describe the way that it affects his fighting.
Part 2) Describe the ways that war movies romanticize soldiers.
Part 3) Describe the way that "Fallen Angels' dispels the myths of war romanticism
Essay Topic 3
The dog tags of the soldiers are powerful symbols for their identification in the military. Describe the ways that the dog tags are used throughout the novel and explain the significance of the moment when all the dog tags of the fallen soldiers are lost.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)