|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the soldier killed on the first night of patrol?
2. What state is the extraordinarily strong black soldier from?
3. Which of the following soldiers are not patroling for the first time?
4. When Peewee is joking that he didn't know he was in Vietnam, where does he joke that he thinks he is?
5. Which soldier gets into a fight with the cook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Richie's response to seeing his first dead enemy soldier?
2. Why do the American troops ambush the village that they had recently pacified?
3. Where did the term "Angel Warriors" come from?
4. Who is Rings, and what does he suggest that Richie and Peewee do?
5. What happens during the new soldiers first night on patrol?
6. What happens when Richie sees the body bags lined up at his base?
7. During the slow days, what does Richie learn about his fellow soldiers Brew, Lobel, and Monaco?
8. What does Captain Stewart change about Monaco's kill report, and why?
9. Why does Jenkins say that he has joined the army, and what is his fear of war?
10. In Chapter 1, what sounds does Richie hear when he falls asleep at night, and how does he comfort himself in Vietnam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, the reader sees Richie's view of family shift after he makes relationships with other soldiers in his squad.
Part 1) Describe Richie's relationship with his family back home before he enlists in the army.
Part 2) Describe the fantasies that Richie has about family while he is in Vietnam.
Part 3) Describe the way that Peewee, and other soldiers in the squad, fill in for blood family while Richie is away.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Rings makes a bizarre offer to RIchie and Peewee in order to cement their brotherhood.
Part 1) Describe the offer that RIngs presented and his reasoning behind it.
Part 2) Explain the ritual that Peewee and Richie partook in to cement their own brotherhood.
Part 3) Explain the way that Peewee and RIchie's ritual stuck with them throughout their time in war, and what it meant to them.
Essay Topic 3
All of the soldiers in Richie's squad have joined the army for very different reasons. Choose three soldiers from Richie's squad and briefly describe their reasons for joining the army. Then, explain how those motivations affected the soldier's performance in battle.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)