|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Peewee's girlfriend's name?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of Peewee's life goals?
3. During the attack in which the first enemy soldier is killed, why doesn't Richie shoot anyone?
4. Who is the first person that Peewee accuses of being a "Cong"?
5. What offer is Richie given in regards to his medical records?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the soldiers pass the time around the barracks when they have no missions to attend to?
2. What happens to Richie's knee, and why is he still sent to Vietnam?
3. What are the soldiers told during their orientation speech upon arrival to Chu Lia?
4. What footage do the soldiers watch after the ambush, and what is their reaction?
5. What question does the film crew ask to the soldiers, and what are their responses?
6. How does Lieutenant Carroll die?
7. Where did the term "Angel Warriors" come from?
8. After returning from a Vietnamese village, what does Sergeant Simpson tell the troops Captain Stewart?
9. Why does Jenkins say that he has joined the army, and what is his fear of war?
10. What happens when Richie sees the body bags lined up at his base?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, many myths of what happens to a good, or strong, soldier are presented. Chose two military myths that were presented in the novel, and explain the ways that the reality of war in Richie's experience dispelled those myths.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this novel, the theme of innocence is presented through the soldiers' naivety. Briefly describe one scene that highlights the innocence of one or more of the soldiers. Then describe the way that the novel functions as a testament to the loss of youth through war.
Essay Topic 3
The dog tags of the soldiers are powerful symbols for their identification in the military. Describe the ways that the dog tags are used throughout the novel and explain the significance of the moment when all the dog tags of the fallen soldiers are lost.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)