|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of Lieutenant Carroll's family was also in the army and passed on his army vocabulary?
2. Where is the man living that Richie used to write letters to and contemplates asking the man to return the favor?
3. Which soldier says that he is in Vietnam to stop the spread of communism?
4. What is the name of the soldier who begins crying on the truck ride to the new camp?
5. To what country is Richie sent to fight in the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the more experienced soldiers feel when they see the new soldiers arriving?
2. What reasons drew Richie into joining the army?
3. What happens when the new soldiers meet Johnson?
4. What happens when Richie is out on patrol with the Charlie Company?
5. What footage do the soldiers watch after the ambush, and what is their reaction?
6. After returning from a Vietnamese village, what does Sergeant Simpson tell the troops Captain Stewart?
7. Why does Jenkins say that he has joined the army, and what is his fear of war?
8. How does RIchie cope with the trauma that he witnesses while on patrol with the Charlie Company?
9. Where did the term "Angel Warriors" come from?
10. What news does Peewee receive from home in a letter from Earlene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, many myths of what happens to a good, or strong, soldier are presented. Chose two military myths that were presented in the novel, and explain the ways that the reality of war in Richie's experience dispelled those myths.
Essay Topic 2
The novel "Fallen Angels" is set at a time of American history in which the Civil Rights movement was pushing forward.
Part 1) Describe the way that racism in "the World" is presented in the novel.
Part 2) Describe the way that racism in the army is presented in the novel.
Part 3) Briefly discuss whether or not you feel that the novel presented the American history of the time in a fair and balanced way.
Essay Topic 3
The idea of heroism is present alongside the romanticism of soldiers. Choose two soldiers in the novel and describe the vocalizations these soldiers raise about heroism. Then, compare/contrast those vocalizations to the actual reactions the soldier see when they are faced with moments of heroism.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)