|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the character sent in to replace Sergeant Simpson?
(a) Lieutenant Dongan.
(b) Lieutenant Donnahue.
(c) Lieutenant Doyle.
(d) Lieutenant Drager.
2. At the end of the fight over land in Vietnam, what is dropped by jet plane into the clearing?
(b) Food rations.
(c) Paragliding soldiers.
(d) Mustard gas.
3. Whose decision is it to extend the troop's tour of duty for an additional thirty days?
(a) Sergeant Simpson's.
(b) Lieutenant Doyle's.
(c) Lieutenant Gearhart's.
(d) Captain Stewart's.
4. Whose nineteenth birthday is celebrated by the troops when they return from the mission in the Vietnamese village?
5. How did Richie know Johnny Robinson?
(a) They played basketball together.
(b) They went to church together.
(c) They were cousins.
(d) They went to the same school.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Vietcong are hiding under the water, what are they breathing with?
2. What happens when the soldiers realize that the war will not be ending anytime soon?
3. What type of award is Richie given from the army after his injuries?
4. Who tells Richie that there is no meaning to the war in Vietnam?
5. Why do the Vietnamese allies turn against the American troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the allies bring in a Vietnamese mother and her two small children found wandering around the rice paddies?
2. How does Richie kill his first Vietcong soldier, and what is his reaction to the killing?
3. What letter does Gearhart give to Richie and Walowick to hold onto?
4. What race relation issues come to light during the time of Vietnamese Tet?
5. What offer does Gearhart make for the troops, when it is realized that the squads are unequally staffed?
6. What power struggle arises between Johnson and Stewart in the battlefield of the reclaimed hill?
7. What happens when the Vietnamese allies want the American troops to help them capture a crucial hill?
8. When does Richie realize that Johnson would have been a natural-born leader?
9. Who is with Brew when he dies?
10. How does Monaco escape the clutches of the Vietnamese soldiers?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)