|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What American holiday is approaching at the same time as the Vietnamese New Year?
(d) Valentine's Day.
2. What character is Richie reunited with when he is resting in the hospital?
(b) Judy Duncan.
(c) Lieutenant Gearhart.
3. What is the name of the soldier who is mortally wounded during the same fight in which Richie is shot?
4. Who are the Vietnamese soldiers holding as bait, trying to encourage the chopper to arrive?
5. What is Johnson's advice to Richie when they are discussing the war protesters?
(a) To stop worrying about the Americans and start worrying about the Vietnamese.
(b) To stop worrying about staying alive and start worrying about the bigger issues.
(c) To stop worrying about the Vietnamese and start worrying about the Americans.
(d) To stop worrying about the bigger issues and just worry about staying alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of soldier does the new lieutenant like to put in the most dangerous military positions?
2. What does Richie tell Kenny in the letter he writes about the Vietcong soldier?
3. How did Richie know Johnny Robinson?
4. Which character strongly wishes he had a wife a kids waiting for him at home?
5. Which character gets into a power struggle with Stewart, telling the men to follow him when Stewart tells them all to stay down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Richie and Peewee spend the night when they are separated from their squad, and how do they find their way there?
2. How does Monaco escape the clutches of the Vietnamese soldiers?
3. How do the American soldiers prepare the bodies of their fallen soldiers so that the enemy cannot mutilate them?
4. What conversation does Richie get into with Johnson about the war protesters?
5. What is the reaction among the troops when the newspaper arrives with photos of war protesters burning their draft cards?
6. What race relation issues come to light during the time of Vietnamese Tet?
7. How does Richie explain the shooting of the Vietcong soldier to his brother, Kenny?
8. In Kenny's letter to Richie about Johnny Robinson, what does he say?
9. How does Richie kill his first Vietcong soldier, and what is his reaction to the killing?
10. What power struggle arises between Johnson and Stewart in the battlefield of the reclaimed hill?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)