|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the fight over land in Vietnam, what is dropped by jet plane into the clearing?
(a) Mustard gas.
(b) Paragliding soldiers.
(d) Food rations.
2. What is waiting for Richie when he enters one of the huts in the recently pacified village?
(a) A terrified kitten.
(b) A starving puppy.
(c) A Vietcong soldier.
(d) A crying child.
3. Which soldier is approached by Lt. Dongan asking if Lobel is a homosexual?
4. Which soldier accidentally releases a flare during a fight, revealing the position of the troops?
(a) Sergeant Simpson.
(b) Lieutenant Doyle.
(c) Captain Stewart.
(d) Lieutenant Gearhart.
5. Whose decision is it to extend the troop's tour of duty for an additional thirty days?
(a) Sergeant Simpson's.
(b) Lieutenant Gearhart's.
(c) Captain Stewart's.
(d) Lieutenant Doyle's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the squad advise the soldier, whose girlfriend proposed marriage, to do?
2. When Richie thinks about going AWOL, what country does he plan to run to?
3. Which of the following soldiers does NOT have a letter from Gearhart to his wife in their possession?
4. Which character strongly wishes he had a wife a kids waiting for him at home?
5. What is attached to the young Vietnamese child that Peewee makes a doll for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What offer does Gearhart make for the troops, when it is realized that the squads are unequally staffed?
2. What does Richie do with his Purple Heart?
3. How are Richie and Peewee separated from the rest of their troop?
4. What conversation does Richie get into with Johnson about the war protesters?
5. What power struggle arises between Johnson and Stewart in the battlefield of the reclaimed hill?
6. What happens when the Vietnamese allies want the American troops to help them capture a crucial hill?
7. How does it come to be that Richie is shot?
8. What do the American soldiers see when they return to the village in Vietnam that they had recently tried to pacify?
9. How does Monaco escape the clutches of the Vietnamese soldiers?
10. How does Richie explain the shooting of the Vietcong soldier to his brother, Kenny?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)