|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is waiting for Richie when he enters one of the huts in the recently pacified village?
(a) A terrified kitten.
(b) A crying child.
(c) A starving puppy.
(d) A Vietcong soldier.
2. Which character strongly wishes he had a wife a kids waiting for him at home?
3. What happens when the soldiers realize that the war will not be ending anytime soon?
(a) Many soldiers go AWOL.
(b) Many soldiers burst into tears.
(c) The military gives the soldiers pay raises.
(d) Peace rumors stop circulating.
4. Who tells Richie that there is no meaning to the war in Vietnam?
5. What does Richie tell Kenny in the letter he writes about the Vietcong soldier?
(a) That the soldier deserved to die because he attacked Richie first.
(b) That the soldier deserved to die because he was a "bad guy."
(c) That the soldier deserved to die for being communist.
(d) Richie is unable to write his brother a letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Richie and Peewee make their way to after being separated from the squad?
2. What do the Vietnamese allies want the American troops to help them capture?
3. After the trauma of visiting the recently pacified Vietnamese village, whose bed does Richie sleep in for comfort?
4. What does Richie do when Brew is dying?
5. What is the name of the character sent in to replace Sergeant Simpson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What offer does Gearhart make for the troops, when it is realized that the squads are unequally staffed?
2. When does Richie realize that Johnson would have been a natural-born leader?
3. What do the American soldiers see when they return to the village in Vietnam that they had recently tried to pacify?
4. What happens during the Lieutenant Gearhart's first reconnaissance mission in Vietnam?
5. How does it come to be that Richie is shot?
6. What conversation does Richie get into with Johnson about the war protesters?
7. What happens when the allies bring in a Vietnamese mother and her two small children found wandering around the rice paddies?
8. How are Richie and Peewee separated from the rest of their troop?
9. How does Richie explain the shooting of the Vietcong soldier to his brother, Kenny?
10. What does Richie do with his Purple Heart?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)