|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During a fight with Vietnamese soldiers, where is Richie shot?
(a) In his neck.
(b) In his leg.
(c) In his back.
(d) In his stomach.
2. Which soldier accidentally releases a flare during a fight, revealing the position of the troops?
(a) Captain Stewart.
(b) Lieutenant Doyle.
(c) Sergeant Simpson.
(d) Lieutenant Gearhart.
3. Why doesn't the grenade that Richie throws into the Vietnamese hut explode?
(a) Because the grenade was old.
(b) Because he forgets to pull the pin.
(c) Because the hut was already on fire.
(d) Because the powder was wet.
4. After Richie's discussion with Johnson about the war protestors, what does he fall asleep thinking about?
(a) Wondering if its possible for people to be "good."
(b) Wondering if its possible for people to be "evil."
(c) Wondering if its possible for people to be "happy."
(d) Wondering if its possible for people to be "crazy."
5. What is the name of the soldier who is mortally wounded during the same fight in which Richie is shot?
Short Answer Questions
1. What character is Richie reunited with when he is resting in the hospital?
2. Which of the following soldiers does NOT have a letter from Gearhart to his wife in their possession?
3. Which soldier freezes in sudden panic and needs Gearhart to scream him back into obedience?
4. Which of the following best describes Richie's life in the hospital?
5. Who tells Richie that there is no meaning to the war in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richie do with his Purple Heart?
2. How does Monaco escape the clutches of the Vietnamese soldiers?
3. In Kenny's letter to Richie about Johnny Robinson, what does he say?
4. What happens when the allies bring in a Vietnamese mother and her two small children found wandering around the rice paddies?
5. What letter does Gearhart give to Richie and Walowick to hold onto?
6. How are Richie and Peewee separated from the rest of their troop?
7. How does Richie kill his first Vietcong soldier, and what is his reaction to the killing?
8. What do the American soldiers see when they return to the village in Vietnam that they had recently tried to pacify?
9. What conversation does Richie get into with Johnson about the war protesters?
10. What race relation issues come to light during the time of Vietnamese Tet?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)