|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the highest ranking soldier among Richie's squad?
2. Who is loaded onto the helicopter with Richie after he has been shot?
(a) Sergeant Simpson.
(c) Lieutenant Doyle.
3. What is attached to the young Vietnamese child that Peewee makes a doll for?
(a) A lunch sack.
(b) A letter.
(c) A bomb.
(d) A flower.
4. Around the time of the Vietnamese New Year, what is happening on the streets of New York?
(a) War protests.
(b) Macy's day parade.
(c) Vietnamese pride parades.
(d) Race riots.
5. What reason does Captain Stewart give to the soldiers as to why they will be going on a reconnaissance mission?
(a) He wants to kill more Vietcong soldiers.
(b) The mission is their safest option.
(c) Lt. Gearhart needs more training.
(d) He didn't know that their squad had been volunteered.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character gets into a power struggle with Stewart, telling the men to follow him when Stewart tells them all to stay down?
2. What happens when the soldiers realize that the war will not be ending anytime soon?
3. Which of the following best describes the fight in which the troops is attempting to reclaim Vietnamese land?
4. Which soldier freezes in sudden panic and needs Gearhart to scream him back into obedience?
5. Who tells Richie that there is no meaning to the war in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Richie realize that Johnson would have been a natural-born leader?
2. What offer does Gearhart make for the troops, when it is realized that the squads are unequally staffed?
3. In Kenny's letter to Richie about Johnny Robinson, what does he say?
4. Who is with Brew when he dies?
5. How does Richie explain the shooting of the Vietcong soldier to his brother, Kenny?
6. How does it come to be that Richie is shot?
7. What race relation issues come to light during the time of Vietnamese Tet?
8. Why do the rescue choppers open fire on the Vietnamese allies?
9. What is the reaction among the troops when the newspaper arrives with photos of war protesters burning their draft cards?
10. What happens during the Lieutenant Gearhart's first reconnaissance mission in Vietnam?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)