|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of the three soldiers--Peewee, Richie, and the captive--are able to escape the Vietnamese troops?
(a) All three of them.
(b) One of them.
(c) None of them.
(d) Two of them.
2. Which of the following best describes the fight in which the troops is attempting to reclaim Vietnamese land?
(b) Well organized.
3. Which character gets into a power struggle with Stewart, telling the men to follow him when Stewart tells them all to stay down?
4. At the end of the fight over land in Vietnam, what is dropped by jet plane into the clearing?
(a) Food rations.
(c) Paragliding soldiers.
(d) Mustard gas.
5. Who opens fire on the Vietnamese soldiers?
(a) The front line soldiers.
(b) No one opens fire on the Vietnamese ally soldiers.
(c) The recovery tanks.
(d) The rescue helicopters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the soldier who is mortally wounded during the same fight in which Richie is shot?
2. Whose nineteenth birthday is celebrated by the troops when they return from the mission in the Vietnamese village?
3. What is waiting for Richie when he enters one of the huts in the recently pacified village?
4. Which character strongly wishes he had a wife a kids waiting for him at home?
5. Of all the men in the squad, who is viewed as their leader, described as having "quiet good sense"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is with Brew when he dies?
2. How are Richie and Peewee separated from the rest of their troop?
3. How does Richie kill his first Vietcong soldier, and what is his reaction to the killing?
4. What offer does Gearhart make for the troops, when it is realized that the squads are unequally staffed?
5. Why do the rescue choppers open fire on the Vietnamese allies?
6. When does Richie realize that Johnson would have been a natural-born leader?
7. Where do Richie and Peewee spend the night when they are separated from their squad, and how do they find their way there?
8. What letter does Gearhart give to Richie and Walowick to hold onto?
9. What is the reaction among the troops when the newspaper arrives with photos of war protesters burning their draft cards?
10. How do the American soldiers prepare the bodies of their fallen soldiers so that the enemy cannot mutilate them?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)