|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Captain Stewart give to the soldiers as to why they will be going on a reconnaissance mission?
(a) Lt. Gearhart needs more training.
(b) The mission is their safest option.
(c) He didn't know that their squad had been volunteered.
(d) He wants to kill more Vietcong soldiers.
2. Which of the following is NOT seen by the American soldiers returning to the recently pacified village?
(a) Burnt huts.
(b) Mutilated bodies.
(c) Screaming children.
(d) Waiting Vietcong soldiers.
3. What offer does Gearhart give the soldiers to keep them safe?
(a) To split up or stay together.
(b) To choose their next leader or leave it up to the administration.
(c) To use machine guns or grenades.
(d) To travel to southern or northern Vietnam.
4. Who does Richie feel certain is the good guy in the Vietnam war.
(a) Richie is unsure who the "good guys" in the war are.
(b) Richie is sure that there are not "good guys" in the war.
(c) Richie is sure the Americans are the "good guys."
(d) Richie is sure the Vietcong are the "good guys."
5. Who does Brunner blame for the shortage of men in his squad?
(a) The Vietcong soldiers.
(b) The American soldiers that ask for transfers.
(c) The war protestors.
(d) The incompetant office staff.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Vietnamese allies turn against the American troops?
2. What do the Vietnamese allies want the American troops to help them capture?
3. What is the name of the soldier killed when the American troop's location is accidentally revealed?
4. Around the time of the Vietnamese New Year, what is happening on the streets of New York?
5. Which soldier's girlfriend sends him a letter proposing marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is with Brew when he dies?
2. How do the American soldiers prepare the bodies of their fallen soldiers so that the enemy cannot mutilate them?
3. How does Richie explain the shooting of the Vietcong soldier to his brother, Kenny?
4. What happens during the Lieutenant Gearhart's first reconnaissance mission in Vietnam?
5. What do the American soldiers see when they return to the village in Vietnam that they had recently tried to pacify?
6. How does Monaco escape the clutches of the Vietnamese soldiers?
7. Where do Richie and Peewee spend the night when they are separated from their squad, and how do they find their way there?
8. What letter does Gearhart give to Richie and Walowick to hold onto?
9. What power struggle arises between Johnson and Stewart in the battlefield of the reclaimed hill?
10. What offer does Gearhart make for the troops, when it is realized that the squads are unequally staffed?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)