|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character is Richie reunited with when he is resting in the hospital?
(a) Judy Duncan.
(b) Lieutenant Gearhart.
2. Which character strongly wishes he had a wife a kids waiting for him at home?
3. What is the name of the character sent in to replace Sergeant Simpson?
(a) Lieutenant Dongan.
(b) Lieutenant Drager.
(c) Lieutenant Donnahue.
(d) Lieutenant Doyle.
4. Why doesn't the grenade that Richie throws into the Vietnamese hut explode?
(a) Because the powder was wet.
(b) Because the grenade was old.
(c) Because the hut was already on fire.
(d) Because he forgets to pull the pin.
5. How does Richie get away from the fight after he has been shot?
(a) He is carried out by another soldier.
(b) He crawls on his knees.
(c) He runs on sheer adrenaline.
(d) He does not leave the scene after he is shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the fight to reclaim Vietnamese land, what part of Dongan's body is blown off?
2. What happens when the soldiers realize that the war will not be ending anytime soon?
3. Which soldier promises to come to Richie and Peewee's aid if problems arise in camp over their new lieutenant?
4. Whose nineteenth birthday is celebrated by the troops when they return from the mission in the Vietnamese village?
5. Of all the men in the squad, who is viewed as their leader, described as having "quiet good sense"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Richie realize that Johnson would have been a natural-born leader?
2. What race relation issues come to light during the time of Vietnamese Tet?
3. Who is with Brew when he dies?
4. How does Monaco escape the clutches of the Vietnamese soldiers?
5. What does Richie do with his Purple Heart?
6. How does it come to be that Richie is shot?
7. What happens when the allies bring in a Vietnamese mother and her two small children found wandering around the rice paddies?
8. How are Richie and Peewee separated from the rest of their troop?
9. How do the American soldiers prepare the bodies of their fallen soldiers so that the enemy cannot mutilate them?
10. Where do Richie and Peewee spend the night when they are separated from their squad, and how do they find their way there?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)