|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the grenade that Richie throws into the Vietnamese hut explode?
(a) Because the hut was already on fire.
(b) Because the grenade was old.
(c) Because the powder was wet.
(d) Because he forgets to pull the pin.
2. How many of the three soldiers--Peewee, Richie, and the captive--are able to escape the Vietnamese troops?
(a) One of them.
(b) None of them.
(c) All three of them.
(d) Two of them.
3. Which character wakes up in the middle of the night with terrible, screaming nightmares?
4. What is the name of the Vietnamese New Year?
5. Who does Brunner blame for the shortage of men in his squad?
(a) The Vietcong soldiers.
(b) The incompetant office staff.
(c) The war protestors.
(d) The American soldiers that ask for transfers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which soldier promises to come to Richie and Peewee's aid if problems arise in camp over their new lieutenant?
2. What is Johnson's advice to Richie when they are discussing the war protesters?
3. In Earlene's letter to Richie, what does she apologize for?
4. When the Vietcong are hiding under the water, what are they breathing with?
5. Of all the men in the squad, who is viewed as their leader, described as having "quiet good sense"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the rescue choppers open fire on the Vietnamese allies?
2. What power struggle arises between Johnson and Stewart in the battlefield of the reclaimed hill?
3. What letter does Gearhart give to Richie and Walowick to hold onto?
4. How do the American soldiers prepare the bodies of their fallen soldiers so that the enemy cannot mutilate them?
5. When does Richie realize that Johnson would have been a natural-born leader?
6. What happens during the Lieutenant Gearhart's first reconnaissance mission in Vietnam?
7. Who is with Brew when he dies?
8. Where do Richie and Peewee spend the night when they are separated from their squad, and how do they find their way there?
9. In Kenny's letter to Richie about Johnny Robinson, what does he say?
10. What is the reaction among the troops when the newspaper arrives with photos of war protesters burning their draft cards?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)