|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which soldier promises to come to Richie and Peewee's aid if problems arise in camp over their new lieutenant?
2. Which of the following soldiers does NOT have a letter from Gearhart to his wife in their possession?
3. Which character wakes up in the middle of the night with terrible, screaming nightmares?
4. What happens when the soldiers realize that the war will not be ending anytime soon?
(a) Peace rumors stop circulating.
(b) Many soldiers go AWOL.
(c) Many soldiers burst into tears.
(d) The military gives the soldiers pay raises.
5. After Richie's discussion with Johnson about the war protestors, what does he fall asleep thinking about?
(a) Wondering if its possible for people to be "crazy."
(b) Wondering if its possible for people to be "happy."
(c) Wondering if its possible for people to be "evil."
(d) Wondering if its possible for people to be "good."
Short Answer Questions
1. What character is Richie reunited with when he is resting in the hospital?
2. What is waiting for Richie when he enters one of the huts in the recently pacified village?
3. What does Richie do when Brew is dying?
4. In Earlene's letter to Richie, what does she apologize for?
5. What is the name of the character sent in to replace Sergeant Simpson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What race relation issues come to light during the time of Vietnamese Tet?
2. How are Richie and Peewee separated from the rest of their troop?
3. How does it come to be that Richie is shot?
4. What power struggle arises between Johnson and Stewart in the battlefield of the reclaimed hill?
5. In Kenny's letter to Richie about Johnny Robinson, what does he say?
6. How does Richie explain the shooting of the Vietcong soldier to his brother, Kenny?
7. What happens when the Vietnamese allies want the American troops to help them capture a crucial hill?
8. Who is with Brew when he dies?
9. What happens when the allies bring in a Vietnamese mother and her two small children found wandering around the rice paddies?
10. Where do Richie and Peewee spend the night when they are separated from their squad, and how do they find their way there?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)