|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who opens fire on the Vietnamese soldiers?
(a) The front line soldiers.
(b) The rescue helicopters.
(c) No one opens fire on the Vietnamese ally soldiers.
(d) The recovery tanks.
2. After Richie's discussion with Johnson about the war protestors, what does he fall asleep thinking about?
(a) Wondering if its possible for people to be "crazy."
(b) Wondering if its possible for people to be "evil."
(c) Wondering if its possible for people to be "happy."
(d) Wondering if its possible for people to be "good."
3. How does Richie feel when he is running to escape the fighting in the village?
(a) As though he is the fastest man on earth.
(b) As though there is someone else running in his body.
(c) As though he cannot keep up with the other soldiers.
(d) As though his legs are made of concrete.
4. Which character gets into a power struggle with Stewart, telling the men to follow him when Stewart tells them all to stay down?
5. How does Richie get away from the fight after he has been shot?
(a) He is carried out by another soldier.
(b) He does not leave the scene after he is shot.
(c) He crawls on his knees.
(d) He runs on sheer adrenaline.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Richie's life in the hospital?
2. Which soldier promises to come to Richie and Peewee's aid if problems arise in camp over their new lieutenant?
3. Who are the Vietnamese soldiers holding as bait, trying to encourage the chopper to arrive?
4. In the attempt to escape the Vietnamese troops, where is Richie shot?
5. Which soldier accidentally releases a flare during a fight, revealing the position of the troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the allies bring in a Vietnamese mother and her two small children found wandering around the rice paddies?
2. When does Richie realize that Johnson would have been a natural-born leader?
3. What do the American soldiers see when they return to the village in Vietnam that they had recently tried to pacify?
4. What offer does Gearhart make for the troops, when it is realized that the squads are unequally staffed?
5. What does Richie do with his Purple Heart?
6. Who is with Brew when he dies?
7. In Kenny's letter to Richie about Johnny Robinson, what does he say?
8. Why do the rescue choppers open fire on the Vietnamese allies?
9. What letter does Gearhart give to Richie and Walowick to hold onto?
10. How does Richie explain the shooting of the Vietcong soldier to his brother, Kenny?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)