|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose decision is it to extend the troop's tour of duty for an additional thirty days?
(a) Lieutenant Gearhart's.
(b) Lieutenant Doyle's.
(c) Captain Stewart's.
(d) Sergeant Simpson's.
2. Who does Richie feel certain is the good guy in the Vietnam war.
(a) Richie is sure the Vietcong are the "good guys."
(b) Richie is sure the Americans are the "good guys."
(c) Richie is unsure who the "good guys" in the war are.
(d) Richie is sure that there are not "good guys" in the war.
3. Whose nineteenth birthday is celebrated by the troops when they return from the mission in the Vietnamese village?
4. At the end of the fight over land in Vietnam, what is dropped by jet plane into the clearing?
(a) Mustard gas.
(b) Paragliding soldiers.
(c) Food rations.
5. Who opens fire on the Vietnamese soldiers?
(a) The front line soldiers.
(b) No one opens fire on the Vietnamese ally soldiers.
(c) The rescue helicopters.
(d) The recovery tanks.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richie thinks about going AWOL, what country does he plan to run to?
2. During a fight with Vietnamese soldiers, where is Richie shot?
3. Which soldier accidentally releases a flare during a fight, revealing the position of the troops?
4. Why do the Vietnamese allies turn against the American troops?
5. Where do Richie and Peewee make their way to after being separated from the squad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richie do with his Purple Heart?
2. What is the reaction among the troops when the newspaper arrives with photos of war protesters burning their draft cards?
3. How does Monaco escape the clutches of the Vietnamese soldiers?
4. How does it come to be that Richie is shot?
5. In Kenny's letter to Richie about Johnny Robinson, what does he say?
6. What offer does Gearhart make for the troops, when it is realized that the squads are unequally staffed?
7. How does Richie kill his first Vietcong soldier, and what is his reaction to the killing?
8. What do the American soldiers see when they return to the village in Vietnam that they had recently tried to pacify?
9. What race relation issues come to light during the time of Vietnamese Tet?
10. What conversation does Richie get into with Johnson about the war protesters?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)