|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the squad sergeant call inexperienced soldiers?
2. What does Lobel think are the only real things in the world?
3. What state is the extraordinarily strong black soldier from?
4. When the soldiers are at their layover in Japan, where are they forced to sleep?
(a) In their airplane seats.
(b) On wooden benches.
(c) On dirty matresses.
(d) On a cement floor.
5. When the troops go on pacification missions, who are they trying to convince the villagers are the enemy?
(a) The French.
(b) The American soldiers.
(c) Their fellow villagers.
(d) The communists.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does Richard Perry live as a high school student?
2. In what Japanese city does Richie's airplane have a layover?
3. When the troops receive word about Charlie Company, how many of their men have been lost?
4. What is Peewee's real name?
5. What is Peewee's girlfriend's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard Perry decide to join the army?
2. How does RIchie cope with the trauma that he witnesses while on patrol with the Charlie Company?
3. What news does Peewee receive from home in a letter from Earlene?
4. What does Captain Stewart change about Monaco's kill report, and why?
5. How do the more experienced soldiers feel when they see the new soldiers arriving?
6. What is the reaction of the soldiers when they receive their assignments to be moved to Chu Lia?
7. What is Richie's response to seeing his first dead enemy soldier?
8. During the slow days, what does Richie learn about his fellow soldiers Brew, Lobel, and Monaco?
9. After returning from a Vietnamese village, what does Sergeant Simpson tell the troops Captain Stewart?
10. Why isn't Richie able to answer the question about his future goals when speaking to the Red Cross workers?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)