|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he was in high school, who told Richie that he had a good shot of getting into college?
(a) His mother.
(b) His guidance councelor.
(c) His English teacher.
(d) No one ever gave Richie any academic hopes.
2. Who does Peewee talk to in a storage shed?
(a) A priest.
(c) An enemy soldier.
(d) A foreign woman.
3. What is the name of the extraordinarily strong black soldier that Richie and Peewee meet?
4. What does Brew hope to become when he gets out of the army?
(a) Brew never wants to leave the army.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A priest.
(d) A professional athlete.
5. Who does Lobel warn Richie not to become?
(a) The feared black soldier.
(b) The baby-faced vlack soldier.
(c) The heroic black soldier.
(d) The comedic black soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is Johnson called by another character, prompting a racially charged arguement?
2. After the attack in which the first enemy soldier is killed, what sport do the men return home to play?
3. Why does Richie continually want to write letters to his brother?
4. How does Richie injure his knee?
5. In what neighborhood did Richie grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. While they are on patrol together, what does Richie tell Lobel about his letter-writing problems, and what is Lobel's response?
2. Who is Rings, and what does he suggest that Richie and Peewee do?
3. What happens when Richie sees the body bags lined up at his base?
4. How does RIchie cope with the trauma that he witnesses while on patrol with the Charlie Company?
5. What is the reaction of the soldiers when they receive their assignments to be moved to Chu Lia?
6. Why does Peewee ask Richie to write a letter to Earlene on his behalf?
7. What happens to the soldiers while they are on a layover in Osaka, Japan?
8. How does Lieutenant Carroll die?
9. Why is Richie sent on patrol with the Charlie Company?
10. What happens to Richie's knee, and why is he still sent to Vietnam?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)