|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Lieutenant Carroll?
2. Which of the following soldiers are not patroling for the first time?
3. What type of airplane does the squad hear flying close to them while they are having a quiet day?
(a) A stealth missile.
(b) A fighter jet.
(c) A Boeing 747.
(d) A helicopter.
4. What name is Johnson called by another character, prompting a racially charged arguement?
(a) A "Fruity."
(b) A "Tootie."
(c) A "Cootie."
(d) A "Bootie."
5. What news does Peewee's girlfriend write to tell him?
(a) That she has joined the army.
(b) That she has dropped out of school.
(c) That she is pregnant.
(d) That she has gotten married.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the pacification mission, who comes to attack the villagers?
2. Who does Johnson get into a racially charged argument with?
3. What is Richie's response to the offer regarding his medical records?
4. What is the name of the young, black medic?
5. What is Peewee's girlfriend's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the new soldiers first night on patrol?
2. Before the troops see any action, what does Richie think about the fighting?
3. What happens when Richie sees the body bags lined up at his base?
4. After returning from a Vietnamese village, what does Sergeant Simpson tell the troops Captain Stewart?
5. In Chapter 1, what sounds does Richie hear when he falls asleep at night, and how does he comfort himself in Vietnam?
6. What happens to the soldiers while they are on a layover in Osaka, Japan?
7. What is the reaction of the soldiers when they receive their assignments to be moved to Chu Lia?
8. While they are on patrol together, what does Richie tell Lobel about his letter-writing problems, and what is Lobel's response?
9. Why does Jenkins say that he has joined the army, and what is his fear of war?
10. What happens when Richie is out on patrol with the Charlie Company?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)