Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jenkins tell Richie that he fears about being in the army?
(a) That he won't be good at his job.
(b) That he will have to kill others.
(c) That he will be killed.
(d) That he will love war.
2. Who approaches Richie to tell him that his medical records still haven't arrived?
(a) Lieutenant Boyle.
(b) Captain Stewart.
(c) Lieutenant Carroll.
(d) Sergeant Simpson.
3. Who does Lobel warn Richie not to become?
(a) The heroic black soldier.
(b) The baby-faced vlack soldier.
(c) The comedic black soldier.
(d) The feared black soldier.
4. What is Judy Duncan's occupation?
(a) She is a cook.
(b) She is a teacher.
(c) She is a soldier.
(d) She is a nurse.
5. What war is going on during the years in which the novel is set?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) World War I.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following medications is brought to a Vietnamese village by the troops?
2. In what neighborhood did Richie grow up?
3. Which soldier is killed on the first night of patrol?
4. Which of the following are the soldiers NOT warned away from at their new camp?
5. What is the name of Richie's younger brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the Lieutenant Gearhart's first reconnaissance mission in Vietnam?
2. What letter does Gearhart give to Richie and Walowick to hold onto?
3. What happens to Richie's knee, and why is he still sent to Vietnam?
4. Where do Richie and Peewee spend the night when they are separated from their squad, and how do they find their way there?
5. After returning from a Vietnamese village, what does Sergeant Simpson tell the troops Captain Stewart?
6. What does Richie do with his Purple Heart?
7. What advice does Walowick give to Richie in regard to the dead Vietcong soldier?
8. In Chapter 1, what sounds does Richie hear when he falls asleep at night, and how does he comfort himself in Vietnam?
9. How does Monaco escape the clutches of the Vietnamese soldiers?
10. During the slow days, what does Richie learn about his fellow soldiers Brew, Lobel, and Monaco?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)