|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Richie's younger brother?
2. What happens when the soldiers are sent to protect another company from the encroaching enemy?
(a) Nothing happens.
(b) Richie saves Peewee from a grenade.
(c) Richie accidentally kills a fellow soldier with friendly fire.
(d) Richie kills his first enemy soldier.
3. While in high school, what did Richie want to be when he grew up?
(a) A philosopher.
(b) A musician.
(c) A soldier.
(d) An artist.
4. Which of the following is NOT one of Peewee's life goals?
(a) To smoke a cigar.
(b) To make love to a foreign woman.
(c) To drink wine from a bottle with a cork.
(d) To speak another language.
5. What is the name of the military leader that wants to kill more Vietcong so that he will be promoted?
(a) Lieutenant Boyle.
(b) Sergeant Simpson.
(c) Captain Stewart.
(d) Lieutenant Carroll.
Short Answer Questions
1. While out on patrol in the jungle, what game does Charlie Company stop to play?
2. What is the name of the extraordinarily strong black soldier that Richie and Peewee meet?
3. Why does Richie continually want to write letters to his brother?
4. Which of the following best describes Richie's feelings during the ambush?
5. How does Richie injure his knee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peewee ask Richie to write a letter to Earlene on his behalf?
2. Why isn't Richie able to answer the question about his future goals when speaking to the Red Cross workers?
3. Before the troops see any action, what does Richie think about the fighting?
4. What happens to Richie's knee, and why is he still sent to Vietnam?
5. How do the soldiers pass the time around the barracks when they have no missions to attend to?
6. What happens when Richie is out on patrol with the Charlie Company?
7. What reasons drew Richie into joining the army?
8. What does Captain Stewart change about Monaco's kill report, and why?
9. What happens when Richie sees the body bags lined up at his base?
10. Why does Jenkins say that he has joined the army, and what is his fear of war?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)