|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of soldier does the new lieutenant like to put in the most dangerous military positions?
(a) The white soldiers.
(b) The old soldiers.
(c) The young soldiers.
(d) The black soldiers.
2. During a fight with Vietnamese soldiers, where is Richie shot?
(a) In his leg.
(b) In his neck.
(c) In his stomach.
(d) In his back.
3. When the Vietcong are hiding under the water, what are they breathing with?
(b) Scuba gear.
(d) Oxygen tanks.
4. Which of the following best describes Richie's life in the hospital?
5. What does Richie tell Kenny in the letter he writes about the Vietcong soldier?
(a) That the soldier deserved to die because he attacked Richie first.
(b) That the soldier deserved to die for being communist.
(c) That the soldier deserved to die because he was a "bad guy."
(d) Richie is unable to write his brother a letter.
6. What is the name of the soldier killed when the American troop's location is accidentally revealed?
7. After Richie's discussion with Johnson about the war protestors, what does he fall asleep thinking about?
(a) Wondering if its possible for people to be "evil."
(b) Wondering if its possible for people to be "good."
(c) Wondering if its possible for people to be "happy."
(d) Wondering if its possible for people to be "crazy."
8. During the fight to reclaim Vietnamese land, what part of Dongan's body is blown off?
(a) His legs.
(b) His nose.
(c) His arms.
(d) His eyebrows.
9. How many of the three soldiers--Peewee, Richie, and the captive--are able to escape the Vietnamese troops?
(a) None of them.
(b) All three of them.
(c) One of them.
(d) Two of them.
10. What do the American soldiers remove from the dead soldiers to keep the enemy from identifying them?
(a) Their driver's licences.
(b) Their passports.
(c) Their dog tags.
(d) Their state I.D.s
11. In Earlene's letter to Richie, what does she apologize for?
(a) Marrying another man.
(b) Going on a date with another man.
(c) Not praying for him anymore.
(d) Not writing as often as promised.
12. Who are the Vietnamese soldiers holding as bait, trying to encourage the chopper to arrive?
13. What character is Richie reunited with when he is resting in the hospital?
(a) Lieutenant Gearhart.
(b) Judy Duncan.
14. What is Johnson's advice to Richie when they are discussing the war protesters?
(a) To stop worrying about the Americans and start worrying about the Vietnamese.
(b) To stop worrying about the bigger issues and just worry about staying alive.
(c) To stop worrying about staying alive and start worrying about the bigger issues.
(d) To stop worrying about the Vietnamese and start worrying about the Americans.
15. What is the name of the Vietnamese New Year?
Short Answer Questions
1. What offer does Gearhart give the soldiers to keep them safe?
2. Around the time of the Vietnamese New Year, what is happening on the streets of New York?
3. Whose decision is it to extend the troop's tour of duty for an additional thirty days?
4. After the trauma of visiting the recently pacified Vietnamese village, whose bed does Richie sleep in for comfort?
5. Whose nineteenth birthday is celebrated by the troops when they return from the mission in the Vietnamese village?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)