|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which soldier promises to come to Richie and Peewee's aid if problems arise in camp over their new lieutenant?
2. Which soldier admits that he wanted to run to Canada when he heard he was drafted?
3. What reason does Captain Stewart give to the soldiers as to why they will be going on a reconnaissance mission?
(a) He wants to kill more Vietcong soldiers.
(b) He didn't know that their squad had been volunteered.
(c) The mission is their safest option.
(d) Lt. Gearhart needs more training.
4. When the troops are attacked, trying to capture the piece of Vietnamese land, how does Richie feel?
5. How many of the three soldiers--Peewee, Richie, and the captive--are able to escape the Vietnamese troops?
(a) All three of them.
(b) Two of them.
(c) One of them.
(d) None of them.
6. Which character wakes up in the middle of the night with terrible, screaming nightmares?
7. How does Richie get away from the fight after he has been shot?
(a) He runs on sheer adrenaline.
(b) He is carried out by another soldier.
(c) He crawls on his knees.
(d) He does not leave the scene after he is shot.
8. Which character gets into a power struggle with Stewart, telling the men to follow him when Stewart tells them all to stay down?
9. Of all the men in the squad, who is viewed as their leader, described as having "quiet good sense"?
10. Which of the following soldiers does NOT have a letter from Gearhart to his wife in their possession?
11. What do the American soldiers do to the bodies of their dead soldiers to prevent the enemy from mutilating them?
(a) Bury the bodies.
(b) Drown the bodies.
(c) Burn the bodies.
(d) Carry the bodies home with them.
12. What is Johnson's advice to Richie when they are discussing the war protesters?
(a) To stop worrying about staying alive and start worrying about the bigger issues.
(b) To stop worrying about the bigger issues and just worry about staying alive.
(c) To stop worrying about the Vietnamese and start worrying about the Americans.
(d) To stop worrying about the Americans and start worrying about the Vietnamese.
13. Who is the first to open fire on the Vietnamese soldiers, allowing the chopper to land safely?
(a) The chopper.
(b) Vietnamese allies.
(c) Richie and Peewee.
(d) Lobel and Walowick.
14. In Earlene's letter to Richie, what does she apologize for?
(a) Not writing as often as promised.
(b) Marrying another man.
(c) Not praying for him anymore.
(d) Going on a date with another man.
15. What is attached to the young Vietnamese child that Peewee makes a doll for?
(a) A lunch sack.
(b) A bomb.
(c) A letter.
(d) A flower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American holiday is approaching at the same time as the Vietnamese New Year?
2. What character is Richie reunited with when he is resting in the hospital?
3. What type of award is Richie given from the army after his injuries?
4. What is the name of the soldier who is mortally wounded during the same fight in which Richie is shot?
5. How does Richie feel when he is running to escape the fighting in the village?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)