|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Around the time of the Vietnamese New Year, what is happening on the streets of New York?
(a) Macy's day parade.
(b) Vietnamese pride parades.
(c) War protests.
(d) Race riots.
2. Where do Richie and Peewee make their way to after being separated from the squad?
(a) They travel nowhere, opting to stay in the place they were separated.
(b) Out to an open field.
(c) Back to the original chopper landing zone.
(d) Back to their camp.
3. What is Johnson's advice to Richie when they are discussing the war protesters?
(a) To stop worrying about staying alive and start worrying about the bigger issues.
(b) To stop worrying about the bigger issues and just worry about staying alive.
(c) To stop worrying about the Americans and start worrying about the Vietnamese.
(d) To stop worrying about the Vietnamese and start worrying about the Americans.
4. What does Richie think that his time in the hospital has done to him?
(a) Made him a target for the enemy.
(b) Softened him to war.
(c) Alienated him from his troop.
(d) Hardened him to war.
5. During the fight to reclaim Vietnamese land, what part of Dongan's body is blown off?
(a) His nose.
(b) His legs.
(c) His arms.
(d) His eyebrows.
6. How does Richie get away from the fight after he has been shot?
(a) He runs on sheer adrenaline.
(b) He does not leave the scene after he is shot.
(c) He is carried out by another soldier.
(d) He crawls on his knees.
7. Which of the following best describes the fight in which the troops is attempting to reclaim Vietnamese land?
(d) Well organized.
8. Which character gets into a power struggle with Stewart, telling the men to follow him when Stewart tells them all to stay down?
9. After Richie and Peewee are separated from their squad, where do they spend the night?
(a) Inside a burned-out hut.
(b) In the reeds of a swamp.
(c) Up in a tree.
(d) In a hole.
10. What is the name of the Vietnamese New Year?
11. What is the name of the soldier's new base, that they are moved to under Lieutenant Gearhart's command?
(a) Tame Lie.
(b) Tam Ly.
(c) Train Long.
(d) Tram Yong.
12. Who is the first to open fire on the Vietnamese soldiers, allowing the chopper to land safely?
(a) Richie and Peewee.
(b) Lobel and Walowick.
(c) Vietnamese allies.
(d) The chopper.
13. What is the name of the character sent in to replace Sergeant Simpson?
(a) Lieutenant Doyle.
(b) Lieutenant Drager.
(c) Lieutenant Dongan.
(d) Lieutenant Donnahue.
14. Who tells Richie that there is no meaning to the war in Vietnam?
15. During a fight with Vietnamese soldiers, where is Richie shot?
(a) In his stomach.
(b) In his neck.
(c) In his leg.
(d) In his back.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the trauma of visiting the recently pacified Vietnamese village, whose bed does Richie sleep in for comfort?
2. Which soldier freezes in sudden panic and needs Gearhart to scream him back into obedience?
3. Whose decision is it to extend the troop's tour of duty for an additional thirty days?
4. What type of award is Richie given from the army after his injuries?
5. Whose nineteenth birthday is celebrated by the troops when they return from the mission in the Vietnamese village?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)