|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the fight over land in Vietnam, what is dropped by jet plane into the clearing?
(a) Food rations.
(c) Mustard gas.
(d) Paragliding soldiers.
2. What does Richie tell Kenny in the letter he writes about the Vietcong soldier?
(a) That the soldier deserved to die because he was a "bad guy."
(b) Richie is unable to write his brother a letter.
(c) That the soldier deserved to die for being communist.
(d) That the soldier deserved to die because he attacked Richie first.
3. Which of the following is NOT seen by the American soldiers returning to the recently pacified village?
(a) Screaming children.
(b) Burnt huts.
(c) Mutilated bodies.
(d) Waiting Vietcong soldiers.
4. What do the American soldiers do to the bodies of their dead soldiers to prevent the enemy from mutilating them?
(a) Bury the bodies.
(b) Burn the bodies.
(c) Drown the bodies.
(d) Carry the bodies home with them.
5. Why do the Vietnamese allies turn against the American troops?
(a) Because they believe the war in Vietnam is no longer just.
(b) Because they believe the American soldiers are racist.
(c) Because they were enemy soldiers in disguise.
(d) Because they want to be evacuated first.
6. What do the Vietnamese allies want the American troops to help them capture?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A river.
(c) A hill.
(d) A fort.
7. What is the name of the soldier's new base, that they are moved to under Lieutenant Gearhart's command?
(a) Tam Ly.
(b) Tram Yong.
(c) Tame Lie.
(d) Train Long.
8. What happens when the soldiers realize that the war will not be ending anytime soon?
(a) Peace rumors stop circulating.
(b) The military gives the soldiers pay raises.
(c) Many soldiers burst into tears.
(d) Many soldiers go AWOL.
9. Why doesn't the grenade that Richie throws into the Vietnamese hut explode?
(a) Because the grenade was old.
(b) Because the powder was wet.
(c) Because the hut was already on fire.
(d) Because he forgets to pull the pin.
10. Who is the highest ranking soldier among Richie's squad?
11. Which character wakes up in the middle of the night with terrible, screaming nightmares?
12. During a fight with Vietnamese soldiers, where is Richie shot?
(a) In his leg.
(b) In his neck.
(c) In his back.
(d) In his stomach.
13. Of all the men in the squad, who is viewed as their leader, described as having "quiet good sense"?
14. Who is loaded onto the helicopter with Richie after he has been shot?
(b) Lieutenant Doyle.
(d) Sergeant Simpson.
15. What is the name of the soldier killed when the American troop's location is accidentally revealed?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Vietnamese soldiers holding as bait, trying to encourage the chopper to arrive?
2. What character is Richie reunited with when he is resting in the hospital?
3. What is Johnson's advice to Richie when they are discussing the war protesters?
4. What is attached to the young Vietnamese child that Peewee makes a doll for?
5. Which soldier promises to come to Richie and Peewee's aid if problems arise in camp over their new lieutenant?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)