|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Vietnamese New Year?
2. After Richie and Peewee are separated from their squad, where do they spend the night?
(a) In a hole.
(b) In the reeds of a swamp.
(c) Up in a tree.
(d) Inside a burned-out hut.
3. What do the American soldiers do to the bodies of their dead soldiers to prevent the enemy from mutilating them?
(a) Drown the bodies.
(b) Carry the bodies home with them.
(c) Bury the bodies.
(d) Burn the bodies.
4. When the Vietcong are hiding under the water, what are they breathing with?
(b) Scuba gear.
(d) Oxygen tanks.
5. What is the name of the soldier's new base, that they are moved to under Lieutenant Gearhart's command?
(a) Tram Yong.
(b) Tame Lie.
(c) Tam Ly.
(d) Train Long.
6. What character is Richie reunited with when he is resting in the hospital?
(b) Judy Duncan.
(d) Lieutenant Gearhart.
7. Of all the men in the squad, who is viewed as their leader, described as having "quiet good sense"?
8. How does Richie feel when he is running to escape the fighting in the village?
(a) As though he cannot keep up with the other soldiers.
(b) As though he is the fastest man on earth.
(c) As though there is someone else running in his body.
(d) As though his legs are made of concrete.
9. What American holiday is approaching at the same time as the Vietnamese New Year?
(d) Valentine's Day.
10. At the end of the fight over land in Vietnam, what is dropped by jet plane into the clearing?
(a) Mustard gas.
(c) Food rations.
(d) Paragliding soldiers.
11. Who is the first to open fire on the Vietnamese soldiers, allowing the chopper to land safely?
(a) Lobel and Walowick.
(b) Vietnamese allies.
(c) Richie and Peewee.
(d) The chopper.
12. Who are the Vietnamese soldiers holding as bait, trying to encourage the chopper to arrive?
13. Which of the following best describes the fight in which the troops is attempting to reclaim Vietnamese land?
(a) Well organized.
14. What is waiting for Richie when he enters one of the huts in the recently pacified village?
(a) A starving puppy.
(b) A terrified kitten.
(c) A crying child.
(d) A Vietcong soldier.
15. What does Richie think that his time in the hospital has done to him?
(a) Made him a target for the enemy.
(b) Hardened him to war.
(c) Alienated him from his troop.
(d) Softened him to war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose decision is it to extend the troop's tour of duty for an additional thirty days?
2. Around the time of the Vietnamese New Year, what is happening on the streets of New York?
3. After the trauma of visiting the recently pacified Vietnamese village, whose bed does Richie sleep in for comfort?
4. Which of the following best describes Richie's life in the hospital?
5. How does Richie get away from the fight after he has been shot?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)