|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the character sent in to replace Sergeant Simpson?
(a) Lieutenant Doyle.
(b) Lieutenant Donnahue.
(c) Lieutenant Dongan.
(d) Lieutenant Drager.
2. During the fight to reclaim Vietnamese land, what part of Dongan's body is blown off?
(a) His nose.
(b) His eyebrows.
(c) His arms.
(d) His legs.
3. How does Richie feel when he is running to escape the fighting in the village?
(a) As though he cannot keep up with the other soldiers.
(b) As though he is the fastest man on earth.
(c) As though there is someone else running in his body.
(d) As though his legs are made of concrete.
4. At the end of the fight over land in Vietnam, what is dropped by jet plane into the clearing?
(a) Mustard gas.
(c) Food rations.
(d) Paragliding soldiers.
5. What offer does Gearhart give the soldiers to keep them safe?
(a) To travel to southern or northern Vietnam.
(b) To choose their next leader or leave it up to the administration.
(c) To use machine guns or grenades.
(d) To split up or stay together.
6. What does Richie think that his time in the hospital has done to him?
(a) Softened him to war.
(b) Hardened him to war.
(c) Alienated him from his troop.
(d) Made him a target for the enemy.
7. Who is the first to open fire on the Vietnamese soldiers, allowing the chopper to land safely?
(a) Vietnamese allies.
(b) The chopper.
(c) Richie and Peewee.
(d) Lobel and Walowick.
8. What do the American soldiers do to the bodies of their dead soldiers to prevent the enemy from mutilating them?
(a) Carry the bodies home with them.
(b) Drown the bodies.
(c) Bury the bodies.
(d) Burn the bodies.
9. Who tells Richie that there is no meaning to the war in Vietnam?
10. After Richie and Peewee are separated from their squad, where do they spend the night?
(a) Inside a burned-out hut.
(b) In the reeds of a swamp.
(c) Up in a tree.
(d) In a hole.
11. How does Richie get away from the fight after he has been shot?
(a) He does not leave the scene after he is shot.
(b) He is carried out by another soldier.
(c) He runs on sheer adrenaline.
(d) He crawls on his knees.
12. What is attached to the young Vietnamese child that Peewee makes a doll for?
(a) A flower.
(b) A lunch sack.
(c) A letter.
(d) A bomb.
13. After Richie's discussion with Johnson about the war protestors, what does he fall asleep thinking about?
(a) Wondering if its possible for people to be "happy."
(b) Wondering if its possible for people to be "evil."
(c) Wondering if its possible for people to be "good."
(d) Wondering if its possible for people to be "crazy."
14. What is Johnson's advice to Richie when they are discussing the war protesters?
(a) To stop worrying about the Americans and start worrying about the Vietnamese.
(b) To stop worrying about the bigger issues and just worry about staying alive.
(c) To stop worrying about staying alive and start worrying about the bigger issues.
(d) To stop worrying about the Vietnamese and start worrying about the Americans.
15. What is the name of the Vietnamese New Year?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Earlene's letter to Richie, what does she apologize for?
2. Whose nineteenth birthday is celebrated by the troops when they return from the mission in the Vietnamese village?
3. What do the Vietnamese allies want the American troops to help them capture?
4. Whose decision is it to extend the troop's tour of duty for an additional thirty days?
5. What does the squad advise the soldier, whose girlfriend proposed marriage, to do?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)