|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richie tell Kenny in the letter he writes about the Vietcong soldier?
(a) Richie is unable to write his brother a letter.
(b) That the soldier deserved to die because he attacked Richie first.
(c) That the soldier deserved to die for being communist.
(d) That the soldier deserved to die because he was a "bad guy."
2. Which soldier accidentally releases a flare during a fight, revealing the position of the troops?
(a) Lieutenant Gearhart.
(b) Sergeant Simpson.
(c) Captain Stewart.
(d) Lieutenant Doyle.
3. What do the American soldiers do to the bodies of their dead soldiers to prevent the enemy from mutilating them?
(a) Carry the bodies home with them.
(b) Bury the bodies.
(c) Burn the bodies.
(d) Drown the bodies.
4. Who writes a letter to Tuner's parents?
(a) Lieutenant Doyle.
(c) Captain Stewart.
5. Who does Richie feel certain is the good guy in the Vietnam war.
(a) Richie is unsure who the "good guys" in the war are.
(b) Richie is sure the Americans are the "good guys."
(c) Richie is sure the Vietcong are the "good guys."
(d) Richie is sure that there are not "good guys" in the war.
6. Whose decision is it to extend the troop's tour of duty for an additional thirty days?
(a) Lieutenant Gearhart's.
(b) Captain Stewart's.
(c) Lieutenant Doyle's.
(d) Sergeant Simpson's.
7. In Earlene's letter to Richie, what does she apologize for?
(a) Marrying another man.
(b) Not writing as often as promised.
(c) Going on a date with another man.
(d) Not praying for him anymore.
8. During the fight to reclaim Vietnamese land, what part of Dongan's body is blown off?
(a) His arms.
(b) His legs.
(c) His nose.
(d) His eyebrows.
9. What is attached to the young Vietnamese child that Peewee makes a doll for?
(a) A lunch sack.
(b) A bomb.
(c) A flower.
(d) A letter.
10. Which soldier freezes in sudden panic and needs Gearhart to scream him back into obedience?
11. Which soldier is approached by Lt. Dongan asking if Lobel is a homosexual?
12. Who is loaded onto the helicopter with Richie after he has been shot?
(b) Lieutenant Doyle.
(c) Sergeant Simpson.
13. What do the Vietnamese allies want the American troops to help them capture?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A hill.
(c) A river.
(d) A fort.
14. Who is the highest ranking soldier among Richie's squad?
15. Who opens fire on the Vietnamese soldiers?
(a) The recovery tanks.
(b) No one opens fire on the Vietnamese ally soldiers.
(c) The front line soldiers.
(d) The rescue helicopters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character strongly wishes he had a wife a kids waiting for him at home?
2. What is the name of the soldier who is mortally wounded during the same fight in which Richie is shot?
3. Which character gets into a power struggle with Stewart, telling the men to follow him when Stewart tells them all to stay down?
4. Of all the men in the squad, who is viewed as their leader, described as having "quiet good sense"?
5. When the Vietcong are hiding under the water, what are they breathing with?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)