|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the fight to reclaim Vietnamese land, what part of Dongan's body is blown off?
(a) His eyebrows.
(b) His arms.
(c) His nose.
(d) His legs.
2. Which character strongly wishes he had a wife a kids waiting for him at home?
3. What is the name of the character sent in to replace Sergeant Simpson?
(a) Lieutenant Donnahue.
(b) Lieutenant Doyle.
(c) Lieutenant Drager.
(d) Lieutenant Dongan.
4. What is waiting for Richie when he enters one of the huts in the recently pacified village?
(a) A Vietcong soldier.
(b) A terrified kitten.
(c) A starving puppy.
(d) A crying child.
5. Who is loaded onto the helicopter with Richie after he has been shot?
(c) Lieutenant Doyle.
(d) Sergeant Simpson.
6. Who tells Richie that there is no meaning to the war in Vietnam?
7. When the Vietcong are hiding under the water, what are they breathing with?
(a) Oxygen tanks.
(b) Scuba gear.
8. How did Richie know Johnny Robinson?
(a) They went to church together.
(b) They went to the same school.
(c) They were cousins.
(d) They played basketball together.
9. What is attached to the young Vietnamese child that Peewee makes a doll for?
(a) A bomb.
(b) A lunch sack.
(c) A flower.
(d) A letter.
10. Which of the following is NOT seen by the American soldiers returning to the recently pacified village?
(a) Screaming children.
(b) Mutilated bodies.
(c) Waiting Vietcong soldiers.
(d) Burnt huts.
11. What does Richie do when Brew is dying?
(a) Tells him a funny joke.
(b) Holds his hand.
(c) Promises to write a letter to his mother.
(d) Prays with him.
12. What do the Vietnamese allies want the American troops to help them capture?
(a) A fort.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A hill.
(d) A river.
13. What is Johnson's advice to Richie when they are discussing the war protesters?
(a) To stop worrying about staying alive and start worrying about the bigger issues.
(b) To stop worrying about the Americans and start worrying about the Vietnamese.
(c) To stop worrying about the Vietnamese and start worrying about the Americans.
(d) To stop worrying about the bigger issues and just worry about staying alive.
14. What type of soldier does the new lieutenant like to put in the most dangerous military positions?
(a) The white soldiers.
(b) The black soldiers.
(c) The young soldiers.
(d) The old soldiers.
15. In the attempt to escape the Vietnamese troops, where is Richie shot?
(a) In the arm.
(b) In the leg.
(c) In the back.
(d) In the neck.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which soldier freezes in sudden panic and needs Gearhart to scream him back into obedience?
2. In Earlene's letter to Richie, what does she apologize for?
3. Which soldier's girlfriend sends him a letter proposing marriage?
4. Whose decision is it to extend the troop's tour of duty for an additional thirty days?
5. Who are the Vietnamese soldiers holding as bait, trying to encourage the chopper to arrive?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)