|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which soldier freezes in sudden panic and needs Gearhart to scream him back into obedience?
2. What American holiday is approaching at the same time as the Vietnamese New Year?
(c) Valentine's Day.
3. What is the name of the character sent in to replace Sergeant Simpson?
(a) Lieutenant Doyle.
(b) Lieutenant Dongan.
(c) Lieutenant Drager.
(d) Lieutenant Donnahue.
4. Around the time of the Vietnamese New Year, what is happening on the streets of New York?
(a) War protests.
(b) Vietnamese pride parades.
(c) Race riots.
(d) Macy's day parade.
5. Which character gets into a power struggle with Stewart, telling the men to follow him when Stewart tells them all to stay down?
6. Which of the following is NOT seen by the American soldiers returning to the recently pacified village?
(a) Screaming children.
(b) Waiting Vietcong soldiers.
(c) Mutilated bodies.
(d) Burnt huts.
7. At the end of the fight over land in Vietnam, what is dropped by jet plane into the clearing?
(a) Paragliding soldiers.
(b) Food rations.
(d) Mustard gas.
8. Who does Brunner blame for the shortage of men in his squad?
(a) The Vietcong soldiers.
(b) The war protestors.
(c) The American soldiers that ask for transfers.
(d) The incompetant office staff.
9. During a fight with Vietnamese soldiers, where is Richie shot?
(a) In his stomach.
(b) In his back.
(c) In his leg.
(d) In his neck.
10. After the trauma of visiting the recently pacified Vietnamese village, whose bed does Richie sleep in for comfort?
11. Who writes a letter to Tuner's parents?
(a) Lieutenant Doyle.
(d) Captain Stewart.
12. Which soldier admits that he wanted to run to Canada when he heard he was drafted?
13. Why do the Vietnamese allies turn against the American troops?
(a) Because they want to be evacuated first.
(b) Because they believe the American soldiers are racist.
(c) Because they were enemy soldiers in disguise.
(d) Because they believe the war in Vietnam is no longer just.
14. Which soldier promises to come to Richie and Peewee's aid if problems arise in camp over their new lieutenant?
15. Who does Richie feel certain is the good guy in the Vietnam war.
(a) Richie is sure the Americans are the "good guys."
(b) Richie is unsure who the "good guys" in the war are.
(c) Richie is sure that there are not "good guys" in the war.
(d) Richie is sure the Vietcong are the "good guys."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Johnson's advice to Richie when they are discussing the war protesters?
2. What type of award is Richie given from the army after his injuries?
3. What is the name of the soldier killed when the American troop's location is accidentally revealed?
4. Who is the highest ranking soldier among Richie's squad?
5. What is attached to the young Vietnamese child that Peewee makes a doll for?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)