|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is loaded onto the helicopter with Richie after he has been shot?
(a) Sergeant Simpson.
(b) Lieutenant Doyle.
2. Who does Brunner blame for the shortage of men in his squad?
(a) The war protestors.
(b) The incompetant office staff.
(c) The American soldiers that ask for transfers.
(d) The Vietcong soldiers.
3. What does Richie think that his time in the hospital has done to him?
(a) Alienated him from his troop.
(b) Hardened him to war.
(c) Made him a target for the enemy.
(d) Softened him to war.
4. Who tells Richie that there is no meaning to the war in Vietnam?
5. What does Richie do when Brew is dying?
(a) Prays with him.
(b) Tells him a funny joke.
(c) Holds his hand.
(d) Promises to write a letter to his mother.
6. What does the squad advise the soldier, whose girlfriend proposed marriage, to do?
(a) Think about his answer.
(b) Lie to her.
(c) Dump her.
(d) Marry her.
7. What do the American soldiers do to the bodies of their dead soldiers to prevent the enemy from mutilating them?
(a) Drown the bodies.
(b) Burn the bodies.
(c) Bury the bodies.
(d) Carry the bodies home with them.
8. What do the Vietnamese allies want the American troops to help them capture?
(a) A river.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A hill.
(d) A fort.
9. Why doesn't the grenade that Richie throws into the Vietnamese hut explode?
(a) Because he forgets to pull the pin.
(b) Because the hut was already on fire.
(c) Because the grenade was old.
(d) Because the powder was wet.
10. After the trauma of visiting the recently pacified Vietnamese village, whose bed does Richie sleep in for comfort?
11. When the Vietcong are hiding under the water, what are they breathing with?
(b) Scuba gear.
(c) Oxygen tanks.
12. What offer does Gearhart give the soldiers to keep them safe?
(a) To choose their next leader or leave it up to the administration.
(b) To split up or stay together.
(c) To travel to southern or northern Vietnam.
(d) To use machine guns or grenades.
13. Which soldier admits that he wanted to run to Canada when he heard he was drafted?
14. Of all the men in the squad, who is viewed as their leader, described as having "quiet good sense"?
15. Which character wakes up in the middle of the night with terrible, screaming nightmares?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the troops are attacked, trying to capture the piece of Vietnamese land, how does Richie feel?
2. What character is Richie reunited with when he is resting in the hospital?
3. Which soldier accidentally releases a flare during a fight, revealing the position of the troops?
4. Whose nineteenth birthday is celebrated by the troops when they return from the mission in the Vietnamese village?
5. What is the name of the soldier who is mortally wounded during the same fight in which Richie is shot?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)