|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is waiting for Richie when he enters one of the huts in the recently pacified village?
(a) A Vietcong soldier.
(b) A starving puppy.
(c) A crying child.
(d) A terrified kitten.
2. How did Richie know Johnny Robinson?
(a) They went to the same school.
(b) They went to church together.
(c) They were cousins.
(d) They played basketball together.
3. When the troops are attacked, trying to capture the piece of Vietnamese land, how does Richie feel?
4. Who does Richie feel certain is the good guy in the Vietnam war.
(a) Richie is sure the Vietcong are the "good guys."
(b) Richie is unsure who the "good guys" in the war are.
(c) Richie is sure that there are not "good guys" in the war.
(d) Richie is sure the Americans are the "good guys."
5. Who does Brunner blame for the shortage of men in his squad?
(a) The incompetant office staff.
(b) The American soldiers that ask for transfers.
(c) The Vietcong soldiers.
(d) The war protestors.
6. Which of the following best describes Richie's life in the hospital?
7. Why do the Vietnamese allies turn against the American troops?
(a) Because they believe the war in Vietnam is no longer just.
(b) Because they believe the American soldiers are racist.
(c) Because they were enemy soldiers in disguise.
(d) Because they want to be evacuated first.
8. What does Richie tell Kenny in the letter he writes about the Vietcong soldier?
(a) That the soldier deserved to die because he was a "bad guy."
(b) That the soldier deserved to die because he attacked Richie first.
(c) Richie is unable to write his brother a letter.
(d) That the soldier deserved to die for being communist.
9. Who writes a letter to Tuner's parents?
(a) Lieutenant Doyle.
(c) Captain Stewart.
10. What reason does Captain Stewart give to the soldiers as to why they will be going on a reconnaissance mission?
(a) The mission is their safest option.
(b) He wants to kill more Vietcong soldiers.
(c) He didn't know that their squad had been volunteered.
(d) Lt. Gearhart needs more training.
11. After the trauma of visiting the recently pacified Vietnamese village, whose bed does Richie sleep in for comfort?
12. What does Richie do when Brew is dying?
(a) Holds his hand.
(b) Prays with him.
(c) Promises to write a letter to his mother.
(d) Tells him a funny joke.
13. What do the American soldiers do to the bodies of their dead soldiers to prevent the enemy from mutilating them?
(a) Bury the bodies.
(b) Drown the bodies.
(c) Carry the bodies home with them.
(d) Burn the bodies.
14. What offer does Gearhart give the soldiers to keep them safe?
(a) To split up or stay together.
(b) To choose their next leader or leave it up to the administration.
(c) To travel to southern or northern Vietnam.
(d) To use machine guns or grenades.
15. When the Vietcong are hiding under the water, what are they breathing with?
(b) Scuba gear.
(d) Oxygen tanks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT seen by the American soldiers returning to the recently pacified village?
2. In the attempt to escape the Vietnamese troops, where is Richie shot?
3. Who are the Vietnamese soldiers holding as bait, trying to encourage the chopper to arrive?
4. What character is Richie reunited with when he is resting in the hospital?
5. What do the Vietnamese allies want the American troops to help them capture?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)