|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Vietnamese allies turn against the American troops?
(a) Because they believe the war in Vietnam is no longer just.
(b) Because they were enemy soldiers in disguise.
(c) Because they believe the American soldiers are racist.
(d) Because they want to be evacuated first.
2. Who is the first to open fire on the Vietnamese soldiers, allowing the chopper to land safely?
(a) The chopper.
(b) Richie and Peewee.
(c) Lobel and Walowick.
(d) Vietnamese allies.
3. Which of the following soldiers does NOT have a letter from Gearhart to his wife in their possession?
4. After Richie and Peewee are separated from their squad, where do they spend the night?
(a) In the reeds of a swamp.
(b) Up in a tree.
(c) In a hole.
(d) Inside a burned-out hut.
5. Which soldier accidentally releases a flare during a fight, revealing the position of the troops?
(a) Lieutenant Doyle.
(b) Captain Stewart.
(c) Lieutenant Gearhart.
(d) Sergeant Simpson.
6. Where do Richie and Peewee make their way to after being separated from the squad?
(a) Back to their camp.
(b) Back to the original chopper landing zone.
(c) They travel nowhere, opting to stay in the place they were separated.
(d) Out to an open field.
7. In Earlene's letter to Richie, what does she apologize for?
(a) Going on a date with another man.
(b) Not writing as often as promised.
(c) Not praying for him anymore.
(d) Marrying another man.
8. What type of award is Richie given from the army after his injuries?
(a) A silver heart.
(b) A purple heart.
(c) A gold heart.
(d) A blue heart.
9. What is the name of the soldier's new base, that they are moved to under Lieutenant Gearhart's command?
(a) Train Long.
(b) Tame Lie.
(c) Tram Yong.
(d) Tam Ly.
10. What character is Richie reunited with when he is resting in the hospital?
(a) Lieutenant Gearhart.
(c) Judy Duncan.
11. Of all the men in the squad, who is viewed as their leader, described as having "quiet good sense"?
12. During a fight with Vietnamese soldiers, where is Richie shot?
(a) In his back.
(b) In his neck.
(c) In his stomach.
(d) In his leg.
13. Which character strongly wishes he had a wife a kids waiting for him at home?
14. Whose decision is it to extend the troop's tour of duty for an additional thirty days?
(a) Lieutenant Doyle's.
(b) Lieutenant Gearhart's.
(c) Sergeant Simpson's.
(d) Captain Stewart's.
15. When the troops are attacked, trying to capture the piece of Vietnamese land, how does Richie feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the highest ranking soldier among Richie's squad?
2. Who writes a letter to Tuner's parents?
3. What is the name of the soldier who is mortally wounded during the same fight in which Richie is shot?
4. At the end of the fight over land in Vietnam, what is dropped by jet plane into the clearing?
5. When the Vietcong are hiding under the water, what are they breathing with?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)