|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which soldier is approached by Lt. Dongan asking if Lobel is a homosexual?
2. Which soldier accidentally releases a flare during a fight, revealing the position of the troops?
(a) Captain Stewart.
(b) Lieutenant Gearhart.
(c) Lieutenant Doyle.
(d) Sergeant Simpson.
3. When the troops are attacked, trying to capture the piece of Vietnamese land, how does Richie feel?
4. What do the Vietnamese allies want the American troops to help them capture?
(a) A hill.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A fort.
(d) A river.
5. What is the name of the Vietnamese New Year?
6. What type of award is Richie given from the army after his injuries?
(a) A silver heart.
(b) A gold heart.
(c) A blue heart.
(d) A purple heart.
7. Who does Richie feel certain is the good guy in the Vietnam war.
(a) Richie is sure the Vietcong are the "good guys."
(b) Richie is unsure who the "good guys" in the war are.
(c) Richie is sure that there are not "good guys" in the war.
(d) Richie is sure the Americans are the "good guys."
8. Which character gets into a power struggle with Stewart, telling the men to follow him when Stewart tells them all to stay down?
9. What reason does Captain Stewart give to the soldiers as to why they will be going on a reconnaissance mission?
(a) He wants to kill more Vietcong soldiers.
(b) Lt. Gearhart needs more training.
(c) The mission is their safest option.
(d) He didn't know that their squad had been volunteered.
10. Who writes a letter to Tuner's parents?
(c) Captain Stewart.
(d) Lieutenant Doyle.
11. In Earlene's letter to Richie, what does she apologize for?
(a) Going on a date with another man.
(b) Not writing as often as promised.
(c) Not praying for him anymore.
(d) Marrying another man.
12. When the Vietcong are hiding under the water, what are they breathing with?
(b) Oxygen tanks.
(c) Scuba gear.
13. Which character wakes up in the middle of the night with terrible, screaming nightmares?
14. Whose nineteenth birthday is celebrated by the troops when they return from the mission in the Vietnamese village?
15. Who tells Richie that there is no meaning to the war in Vietnam?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is waiting for Richie when he enters one of the huts in the recently pacified village?
2. In the attempt to escape the Vietnamese troops, where is Richie shot?
3. How many of the three soldiers--Peewee, Richie, and the captive--are able to escape the Vietnamese troops?
4. What is the name of the character sent in to replace Sergeant Simpson?
5. What is attached to the young Vietnamese child that Peewee makes a doll for?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)