|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the soldier who is mortally wounded during the same fight in which Richie is shot?
2. How does Richie get away from the fight after he has been shot?
(a) He does not leave the scene after he is shot.
(b) He runs on sheer adrenaline.
(c) He crawls on his knees.
(d) He is carried out by another soldier.
3. Which soldier accidentally releases a flare during a fight, revealing the position of the troops?
(a) Lieutenant Gearhart.
(b) Lieutenant Doyle.
(c) Sergeant Simpson.
(d) Captain Stewart.
4. Who are the Vietnamese soldiers holding as bait, trying to encourage the chopper to arrive?
5. After Richie's discussion with Johnson about the war protestors, what does he fall asleep thinking about?
(a) Wondering if its possible for people to be "crazy."
(b) Wondering if its possible for people to be "happy."
(c) Wondering if its possible for people to be "good."
(d) Wondering if its possible for people to be "evil."
6. What type of award is Richie given from the army after his injuries?
(a) A gold heart.
(b) A blue heart.
(c) A silver heart.
(d) A purple heart.
7. When Richie thinks about going AWOL, what country does he plan to run to?
8. What American holiday is approaching at the same time as the Vietnamese New Year?
(d) Valentine's Day.
9. Who is loaded onto the helicopter with Richie after he has been shot?
(b) Lieutenant Doyle.
(d) Sergeant Simpson.
10. After the trauma of visiting the recently pacified Vietnamese village, whose bed does Richie sleep in for comfort?
11. What happens when the soldiers realize that the war will not be ending anytime soon?
(a) The military gives the soldiers pay raises.
(b) Many soldiers go AWOL.
(c) Many soldiers burst into tears.
(d) Peace rumors stop circulating.
12. What is waiting for Richie when he enters one of the huts in the recently pacified village?
(a) A crying child.
(b) A Vietcong soldier.
(c) A terrified kitten.
(d) A starving puppy.
13. Which character strongly wishes he had a wife a kids waiting for him at home?
14. Who is the first to open fire on the Vietnamese soldiers, allowing the chopper to land safely?
(a) The chopper.
(b) Richie and Peewee.
(c) Lobel and Walowick.
(d) Vietnamese allies.
15. In the attempt to escape the Vietnamese troops, where is Richie shot?
(a) In the leg.
(b) In the back.
(c) In the arm.
(d) In the neck.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Richie that there is no meaning to the war in Vietnam?
2. What does the squad advise the soldier, whose girlfriend proposed marriage, to do?
3. How does Richie feel when he is running to escape the fighting in the village?
4. Who does Brunner blame for the shortage of men in his squad?
5. Which soldier freezes in sudden panic and needs Gearhart to scream him back into obedience?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)