|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT seen by the American soldiers returning to the recently pacified village?
(a) Burnt huts.
(b) Screaming children.
(c) Waiting Vietcong soldiers.
(d) Mutilated bodies.
2. After Richie's discussion with Johnson about the war protestors, what does he fall asleep thinking about?
(a) Wondering if its possible for people to be "happy."
(b) Wondering if its possible for people to be "evil."
(c) Wondering if its possible for people to be "good."
(d) Wondering if its possible for people to be "crazy."
3. What do the American soldiers remove from the dead soldiers to keep the enemy from identifying them?
(a) Their state I.D.s
(b) Their passports.
(c) Their dog tags.
(d) Their driver's licences.
4. Whose nineteenth birthday is celebrated by the troops when they return from the mission in the Vietnamese village?
5. Who writes a letter to Tuner's parents?
(a) Captain Stewart.
(d) Lieutenant Doyle.
6. Who does Brunner blame for the shortage of men in his squad?
(a) The Vietcong soldiers.
(b) The war protestors.
(c) The incompetant office staff.
(d) The American soldiers that ask for transfers.
7. Which character gets into a power struggle with Stewart, telling the men to follow him when Stewart tells them all to stay down?
8. Which soldier freezes in sudden panic and needs Gearhart to scream him back into obedience?
9. When the Vietcong are hiding under the water, what are they breathing with?
(b) Oxygen tanks.
(c) Scuba gear.
10. Whose decision is it to extend the troop's tour of duty for an additional thirty days?
(a) Captain Stewart's.
(b) Sergeant Simpson's.
(c) Lieutenant Doyle's.
(d) Lieutenant Gearhart's.
11. Which character wakes up in the middle of the night with terrible, screaming nightmares?
12. How does Richie feel when he is running to escape the fighting in the village?
(a) As though he cannot keep up with the other soldiers.
(b) As though his legs are made of concrete.
(c) As though there is someone else running in his body.
(d) As though he is the fastest man on earth.
13. Who opens fire on the Vietnamese soldiers?
(a) The front line soldiers.
(b) No one opens fire on the Vietnamese ally soldiers.
(c) The recovery tanks.
(d) The rescue helicopters.
14. Which soldier's girlfriend sends him a letter proposing marriage?
15. Why doesn't the grenade that Richie throws into the Vietnamese hut explode?
(a) Because he forgets to pull the pin.
(b) Because the powder was wet.
(c) Because the hut was already on fire.
(d) Because the grenade was old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the soldier's new base, that they are moved to under Lieutenant Gearhart's command?
2. Which soldier admits that he wanted to run to Canada when he heard he was drafted?
3. Which character strongly wishes he had a wife a kids waiting for him at home?
4. What does Richie think that his time in the hospital has done to him?
5. Of all the men in the squad, who is viewed as their leader, described as having "quiet good sense"?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)