|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Richie and Peewee make their way to after being separated from the squad?
(a) Back to their camp.
(b) Back to the original chopper landing zone.
(c) They travel nowhere, opting to stay in the place they were separated.
(d) Out to an open field.
2. When the Vietcong are hiding under the water, what are they breathing with?
(a) Scuba gear.
(b) Oxygen tanks.
3. Who writes a letter to Tuner's parents?
(a) Lieutenant Doyle.
(b) Captain Stewart.
4. What happens when the soldiers realize that the war will not be ending anytime soon?
(a) Many soldiers burst into tears.
(b) The military gives the soldiers pay raises.
(c) Many soldiers go AWOL.
(d) Peace rumors stop circulating.
5. At the end of the fight over land in Vietnam, what is dropped by jet plane into the clearing?
(a) Food rations.
(c) Paragliding soldiers.
(d) Mustard gas.
6. Who does Richie feel certain is the good guy in the Vietnam war.
(a) Richie is sure the Vietcong are the "good guys."
(b) Richie is sure that there are not "good guys" in the war.
(c) Richie is unsure who the "good guys" in the war are.
(d) Richie is sure the Americans are the "good guys."
7. Why doesn't the grenade that Richie throws into the Vietnamese hut explode?
(a) Because the grenade was old.
(b) Because he forgets to pull the pin.
(c) Because the hut was already on fire.
(d) Because the powder was wet.
8. Who is loaded onto the helicopter with Richie after he has been shot?
(b) Sergeant Simpson.
(d) Lieutenant Doyle.
9. What does the squad advise the soldier, whose girlfriend proposed marriage, to do?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Lie to her.
(c) Think about his answer.
(d) Dump her.
10. Of all the men in the squad, who is viewed as their leader, described as having "quiet good sense"?
11. During the fight to reclaim Vietnamese land, what part of Dongan's body is blown off?
(a) His eyebrows.
(b) His legs.
(c) His nose.
(d) His arms.
12. In the attempt to escape the Vietnamese troops, where is Richie shot?
(a) In the back.
(b) In the leg.
(c) In the neck.
(d) In the arm.
13. Which of the following best describes Richie's life in the hospital?
14. Whose decision is it to extend the troop's tour of duty for an additional thirty days?
(a) Lieutenant Doyle's.
(b) Sergeant Simpson's.
(c) Captain Stewart's.
(d) Lieutenant Gearhart's.
15. Which of the following best describes the fight in which the troops is attempting to reclaim Vietnamese land?
(b) Well organized.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Johnson's advice to Richie when they are discussing the war protesters?
2. During a fight with Vietnamese soldiers, where is Richie shot?
3. What is the name of the Vietnamese New Year?
4. What does Richie think that his time in the hospital has done to him?
5. Who tells Richie that there is no meaning to the war in Vietnam?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)