|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richie do when Brew is dying?
(a) Holds his hand.
(b) Tells him a funny joke.
(c) Prays with him.
(d) Promises to write a letter to his mother.
2. What American holiday is approaching at the same time as the Vietnamese New Year?
(c) Valentine's Day.
3. Which soldier promises to come to Richie and Peewee's aid if problems arise in camp over their new lieutenant?
4. Which character gets into a power struggle with Stewart, telling the men to follow him when Stewart tells them all to stay down?
5. Around the time of the Vietnamese New Year, what is happening on the streets of New York?
(a) War protests.
(b) Macy's day parade.
(c) Race riots.
(d) Vietnamese pride parades.
6. What reason does Captain Stewart give to the soldiers as to why they will be going on a reconnaissance mission?
(a) He didn't know that their squad had been volunteered.
(b) The mission is their safest option.
(c) He wants to kill more Vietcong soldiers.
(d) Lt. Gearhart needs more training.
7. During a fight with Vietnamese soldiers, where is Richie shot?
(a) In his neck.
(b) In his stomach.
(c) In his back.
(d) In his leg.
8. At the end of the fight over land in Vietnam, what is dropped by jet plane into the clearing?
(a) Paragliding soldiers.
(b) Mustard gas.
(d) Food rations.
9. When the troops are attacked, trying to capture the piece of Vietnamese land, how does Richie feel?
10. Whose decision is it to extend the troop's tour of duty for an additional thirty days?
(a) Lieutenant Doyle's.
(b) Captain Stewart's.
(c) Sergeant Simpson's.
(d) Lieutenant Gearhart's.
11. What do the American soldiers remove from the dead soldiers to keep the enemy from identifying them?
(a) Their driver's licences.
(b) Their dog tags.
(c) Their passports.
(d) Their state I.D.s
12. Which soldier accidentally releases a flare during a fight, revealing the position of the troops?
(a) Lieutenant Gearhart.
(b) Captain Stewart.
(c) Sergeant Simpson.
(d) Lieutenant Doyle.
13. Why do the Vietnamese allies turn against the American troops?
(a) Because they were enemy soldiers in disguise.
(b) Because they want to be evacuated first.
(c) Because they believe the American soldiers are racist.
(d) Because they believe the war in Vietnam is no longer just.
14. Of all the men in the squad, who is viewed as their leader, described as having "quiet good sense"?
15. What happens when the soldiers realize that the war will not be ending anytime soon?
(a) Peace rumors stop circulating.
(b) The military gives the soldiers pay raises.
(c) Many soldiers go AWOL.
(d) Many soldiers burst into tears.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Richie feel certain is the good guy in the Vietnam war.
2. When the Vietcong are hiding under the water, what are they breathing with?
3. Which of the following best describes Richie's life in the hospital?
4. What is attached to the young Vietnamese child that Peewee makes a doll for?
5. Who is loaded onto the helicopter with Richie after he has been shot?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)