|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the fight over land in Vietnam, what is dropped by jet plane into the clearing?
(a) Mustard gas.
(b) Food rations.
(c) Paragliding soldiers.
2. What is the name of the Vietnamese New Year?
3. In Earlene's letter to Richie, what does she apologize for?
(a) Not praying for him anymore.
(b) Not writing as often as promised.
(c) Going on a date with another man.
(d) Marrying another man.
4. Whose nineteenth birthday is celebrated by the troops when they return from the mission in the Vietnamese village?
5. After Richie's discussion with Johnson about the war protestors, what does he fall asleep thinking about?
(a) Wondering if its possible for people to be "happy."
(b) Wondering if its possible for people to be "good."
(c) Wondering if its possible for people to be "evil."
(d) Wondering if its possible for people to be "crazy."
6. Whose decision is it to extend the troop's tour of duty for an additional thirty days?
(a) Lieutenant Doyle's.
(b) Captain Stewart's.
(c) Sergeant Simpson's.
(d) Lieutenant Gearhart's.
7. Which of the following best describes the fight in which the troops is attempting to reclaim Vietnamese land?
(a) Well organized.
8. Which of the following best describes Richie's life in the hospital?
9. Which soldier's girlfriend sends him a letter proposing marriage?
10. What is the name of the soldier who is mortally wounded during the same fight in which Richie is shot?
11. What character is Richie reunited with when he is resting in the hospital?
(c) Lieutenant Gearhart.
(d) Judy Duncan.
12. What is the name of the soldier's new base, that they are moved to under Lieutenant Gearhart's command?
(a) Train Long.
(b) Tam Ly.
(c) Tame Lie.
(d) Tram Yong.
13. Who is the first to open fire on the Vietnamese soldiers, allowing the chopper to land safely?
(a) Richie and Peewee.
(b) The chopper.
(c) Lobel and Walowick.
(d) Vietnamese allies.
14. What reason does Captain Stewart give to the soldiers as to why they will be going on a reconnaissance mission?
(a) He didn't know that their squad had been volunteered.
(b) He wants to kill more Vietcong soldiers.
(c) Lt. Gearhart needs more training.
(d) The mission is their safest option.
15. What type of soldier does the new lieutenant like to put in the most dangerous military positions?
(a) The black soldiers.
(b) The old soldiers.
(c) The young soldiers.
(d) The white soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the highest ranking soldier among Richie's squad?
2. What is attached to the young Vietnamese child that Peewee makes a doll for?
3. During a fight with Vietnamese soldiers, where is Richie shot?
4. Where do Richie and Peewee make their way to after being separated from the squad?
5. After the trauma of visiting the recently pacified Vietnamese village, whose bed does Richie sleep in for comfort?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)