|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which member of Lieutenant Carroll's family was also in the army and passed on his army vocabulary?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His mother.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His father.
2. Which soldier says that he is in Vietnam to stop the spread of communism?
3. In what neighborhood did Richie grow up?
(a) The Bronx.
(c) Hell's Kitchen.
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes Lieutenant Carroll?
5. What name is Johnson called by another character, prompting a racially charged arguement?
(a) A "Bootie."
(b) A "Fruity."
(c) A "Tootie."
(d) A "Cootie."
6. What happens when the soldiers are sent to protect another company from the encroaching enemy?
(a) Nothing happens.
(b) Richie kills his first enemy soldier.
(c) Richie saves Peewee from a grenade.
(d) Richie accidentally kills a fellow soldier with friendly fire.
7. Who does Johnson get into a racially charged argument with?
(c) Sergeant Simpson.
8. How does Richie feel about seeing his fellow soldier die during their first patrol?
(a) He feels terrified.
(b) He feels apathetic.
(c) He feels excited.
(d) He feels guilty.
9. How is the soldier killed on the first night of patrol?
(a) He steps on a landmine.
(b) He eats a poisonous plant.
(c) He is shot through the heart.
(d) He throws his body on a grenade.
10. What does the squad sergeant call inexperienced soldiers?
11. How many months does the squad sergeant have before his tour is complete?
(a) Twelve months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Ten months.
(d) Four months.
12. In what state does Richie complete his basic training?
13. To keep his mind off of the fears of dying, what does Richie fantasize about while fighting?
(a) Beautiful women.
(b) Foreign wine.
(c) Expensive cars.
(d) Taking a long vacation.
14. After the attack in which the first enemy soldier is killed, what sport do the men return home to play?
15. While in high school, what did Richie want to be when he grew up?
(a) A musician.
(b) An artist.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A philosopher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offer is Richie given in regards to his medical records?
2. What city is Peewee from?
3. What is the name of the soldier that approaches Richie and Peewee in the breakfast hall?
4. Which soldier gets into a fight with the cook?
5. What does Jenkins tell Richie that he fears about being in the army?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)