|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Peewee enjoy his time in the army?
(a) Because he feels empowered holding a gun.
(b) Because he was homeless before, and how he has a home.
(c) Because he enjoys traveling and this was the easiest way for him to see the world.
(d) Because he feels like an equal to everyone else.
2. Who does Johnson get into a racially charged argument with?
(d) Sergeant Simpson.
3. Which soldier gets into a fight with the cook?
4. How long do Peewee and Richie wait before receiving their camp assignment?
(a) Twenty days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Forty days.
(d) Two days.
5. What does Lobel think are the only real things in the world?
6. What state is the extraordinarily strong black soldier from?
7. What is the name of the new Lieutenant of Richie's platoon.
8. What is the name of the military leader that wants to kill more Vietcong so that he will be promoted?
(a) Sergeant Simpson.
(b) Lieutenant Carroll.
(c) Lieutenant Boyle.
(d) Captain Stewart.
9. What war is going on during the years in which the novel is set?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) World War I.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Vietnam War.
10. What is the name of the soldier that was once a star high school athlete?
11. What does Jenkins tell Richie that he fears about being in the army?
(a) That he will love war.
(b) That he won't be good at his job.
(c) That he will be killed.
(d) That he will have to kill others.
12. What does Brew hope to become when he gets out of the army?
(a) Brew never wants to leave the army.
(b) A priest.
(c) A professional athlete.
(d) A teacher.
13. What is Peewee's girlfriend's name?
14. What is the name of the soldier that approaches Richie and Peewee in the breakfast hall?
15. What does the soldier in the breakfast hall suggest that the three of them should mingle?
(a) Their skin.
(b) Their spit.
(c) Their blood.
(d) Their urine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes a letter to Lieutenant Carroll's pregnant wife, explaining what has happened to him?
2. In what Japanese city does Richie's airplane have a layover?
3. Which soldier is well known for doing funny imitations of voices?
4. When the soldiers are at their layover in Japan, where are they forced to sleep?
5. Which of the following soldiers admits to joining the army so that his father wouldn't think that he was gay?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)