|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what Japanese city does Richie's airplane have a layover?
2. Which soldier kills the first enemy soldier that Richie sees?
3. How does Richie injure his knee?
(a) Playing soccer.
(b) Playing basketball.
(c) Playing football.
(d) Playing baseball.
4. What is the name of Richie's younger brother?
5. Who is the lead actress in the movie that the soldiers watch over and over during their slow days?
(a) Judy Garland.
(b) Marilyn Monroe.
(c) Elizabeth Taylor.
(d) Julie Andrews.
6. How long do Peewee and Richie wait before receiving their camp assignment?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Twenty days.
(d) Forty days.
7. In a note to Peewee, who does Earlene promise to name her next child after?
(a) After Peewee.
(b) After Jenkins, who was killed in battle.
(c) After her father.
(d) After her new husband.
8. What does the soldier in the breakfast hall call Peewee and Richie when they refuse his offer?
(a) Aunt Pats.
(b) Uncle Bills.
(c) Aunt Marys.
(d) Uncle Toms.
9. Which soldier is killed on the first night of patrol?
10. Which soldier gets into a fight with the cook?
11. What does Lobel think are the only real things in the world?
12. Which military leader is rumored to have attempted to dodge the draft?
(a) Lieutenant Doyle.
(b) Captain Stewart.
(c) Lieutenant Carroll.
(d) Sergean Simpson.
13. Why does the large black soldier in the breakfast hall suggest that the three of them should stick together?
(a) Because they are all in the same platoon.
(b) Because they are all black.
(c) Because they are all poor.
(d) Because they are all afraid.
14. After the pacification mission, who comes to attack the villagers?
(a) French soldiers.
(b) Vietcong soldiers.
(c) British soldiers.
(d) American soldiers.
15. When Peewee is joking that he didn't know he was in Vietnam, where does he joke that he thinks he is?
(a) St. Louis.
(c) New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the soldiers are sent to protect another company from the encroaching enemy?
2. How does Richie feel about seeing his fellow soldier die during their first patrol?
3. Why does Richie continually want to write letters to his brother?
4. Who writes a letter to Lieutenant Carroll's pregnant wife, explaining what has happened to him?
5. Who does Richie tell Lobel he wishes he could write to?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)