|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clamence decide to keep only the company of women?
2. Where is Clamence at the beginning of this chapter?
3. What is the girl's father's pastime?
4. What does Clamence claim decides a person's guilt?
5. What are the only two things Clamence says the doves can see from the sky?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Clamence's reason for stealing a dying man's water?
2. What debauchery does Clamence partake in?
3. Describe Clamence's time in the foreign legion.
4. In what way does Clamence think the deceased is helpless?
5. What does the boat in the fifth chapter represent?
6. Describe Clamence's hallucination aboard the boat in chapter 5?
7. What does Clamence say is the goal of living?
8. What is Clamence's opinions on Jesus Christ?
9. Describe the Dutch town.
10. How does a fear of judgment affect Clament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Camus use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Draw comparisons between Dante's Inferno and the Fall. Why do you think Camus uses Dante as a reference point? What meaning does it give the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of Clamence's argument.
1) How does he introduce his ideas?
2) How does he deconstruct his ideas into a logical conclusion?
3) Are the ideas that Camus presents in his book, ideas that relate only the way Clamence lived his life or is the argument a critique of society in general?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)