|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to a person's body when they are in the little ease?
2. What is the girl's father's pastime?
3. What is a little ease?
4. How do male friends in Greece walk?
5. What do jailers do to a person in the spitting cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Greece contrast with Paris?
2. What is Clamence's opinions on Jesus Christ?
3. What is Clamence's views on suicide?
4. What does Clamence say is the goal of living?
5. What is Clamence's role as pope?
6. Describe the Dutch town.
7. What debauchery does Clamence partake in?
8. What does the little ease signify?
9. Why is Clamence a judge pentinent?
10. What is the essence of Clamence's philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Clamence referring to when he states a death of a person brings them closer to us? Is this statement specific to his own personality or is he trying to attribute it to society in general?
Essay Topic 2
What are the difference between Dutch and French cultures. In what way is it significant that Camus uses these two countries to shape Clamence's ideas? Choose two different countries and discuss how the novel would change if these two countries were used instead of Holland and France.
Essay Topic 3
Examine translations. Do you think think a translator has to know about a country as well as the language to translate a book effectively? What do you think The Fall loses in its translation? In what way would you get more out of a book by reading it in its original translation?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)