|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of love does the woman Clamence falls in love with believe in?
2. What did Clamence think of the auditor as before this chapter?
3. What does Clamence want to confess?
4. Why did Christ die in Clamence's opinion?
5. In what chapter did Clamence first mention the little ease?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a Judge Penitinent? In what way is it a contradiction? Why is this contradiction important to the ideas that Clamence is trying to express? What does Clamence mean when he says that modern life requires a paradox?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Camus' life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
2) Away from the narrator examine the way Camus uses the other characters in the story. In what way do they help Clamence get his view across to the reader?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)