|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clamence claim the shop signs symbolize?
2. Why did Christ die in Clamence's opinion?
3. Where does Clamence see the dog?
4. What does the young man want the prison pope to be elected for?
5. What does Clamence observe on the surface of the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Just Judges painting?
2. What is Clamence's views on suicide?
3. What does the little ease signify?
4. How does Clament change when he begins to fear judgment?
5. How does Clamence lose his title of pope?
6. What is a spitting cell?
7. Describe Clamence's hallucination aboard the boat in chapter 5?
8. Describe Clamence's time in the foreign legion.
9. What encourage Clamence to join the foreign legion?
10. How does Clamence make himself feel happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Clamence referring to when he states a death of a person brings them closer to us? Is this statement specific to his own personality or is he trying to attribute it to society in general?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of Clamence's argument.
1) How does he introduce his ideas?
2) How does he deconstruct his ideas into a logical conclusion?
3) Are the ideas that Camus presents in his book, ideas that relate only the way Clamence lived his life or is the argument a critique of society in general?
Essay Topic 3
Examine translations. Do you think think a translator has to know about a country as well as the language to translate a book effectively? What do you think The Fall loses in its translation? In what way would you get more out of a book by reading it in its original translation?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)