|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Clamence talk about in this chapter?
2. What does Clamence say he can no longer bear?
3. What part of the ship is Clamence on when he observes the dark speck?
4. What is the name of the painting?
5. What does Clamence suffer from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clamence say is the goal of living?
2. What is a spitting cell?
3. How has Clamence's relationship with the auditor changed?
4. What encourage Clamence to join the foreign legion?
5. Describe the Just Judges painting?
6. What did Clamence find out when he tried to commit suicide?
7. What is Clamence's views on suicide?
8. How does Clamence make himself feel happy?
9. What does the boat in the fifth chapter represent?
10. What is Clamence's reason for stealing a dying man's water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Camus use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine translations. Do you think think a translator has to know about a country as well as the language to translate a book effectively? What do you think The Fall loses in its translation? In what way would you get more out of a book by reading it in its original translation?
Essay Topic 3
Draw comparisons between Dante's Inferno and the Fall. Why do you think Camus uses Dante as a reference point? What meaning does it give the novel?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)