|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the camp Clamence is sent to?
2. What does Clamence promise to do at the end of chapter 4?
3. Why does Clamence claim he is a Judge Pentinent?
4. What disallows Frenchmen from walking hand in hand?
5. How does Clamence celebrate the curing of his illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clamence say is the goal of living?
2. Summarize Clamence's argument?
3. How does Clament change when he begins to fear judgment?
4. What does the boat in the fifth chapter represent?
5. What encourage Clamence to join the foreign legion?
6. How does a fear of judgment affect Clament?
7. What is Clamence's role as pope?
8. Describe the Just Judges painting?
9. What is Clamence's reason for stealing a dying man's water?
10. What is the essence of Clamence's philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Fall is written in the second person person. Why do you think Camus chose to write the story in the second person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: The Fall foreshadows the loss of religious belief in the western world Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does Camus express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)