|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who painted the painting?
2. What city was the metro in?
3. What does Clamence say he is not seduced by?
4. What do jailers do to a person in the spitting cell?
5. What does Clamence think his suicide would do for his friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Clamence a judge pentinent?
2. What debauchery does Clamence partake in?
3. What is Clamence's opinions on Jesus Christ?
4. How does Clamence lose his title of pope?
5. What is the essence of Clamence's philosophy?
6. What is Clamence's views on suicide?
7. Describe the Just Judges painting?
8. What did Clamence find out when he tried to commit suicide?
9. What is a spitting cell?
10. How has Clamence's relationship with the auditor changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Draw comparisons between Dante's Inferno and the Fall. Why do you think Camus uses Dante as a reference point? What meaning does it give the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What are the difference between Dutch and French cultures. In what way is it significant that Camus uses these two countries to shape Clamence's ideas? Choose two different countries and discuss how the novel would change if these two countries were used instead of Holland and France.
Essay Topic 3
What is Clamence referring to when he states a death of a person brings them closer to us? Is this statement specific to his own personality or is he trying to attribute it to society in general?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)