|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clamence begin to wonder when he contracts liver disease?
2. What does the mention of the little ease provoke Clamence to talk about next?
3. What disallows Frenchmen from walking hand in hand?
4. What does Clamence observe on the surface of the water?
5. What does the young man want the prison pope to be elected for?
Essay Topic 1
What is Clamence referring to when he states without the strict dynamic of master and servant, any argument could stretch into affinity? Can the view be attribute to today's society or is such a view specific to the 1950s? Why would any argument stretch into affinity?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set in Amsterdam.
1) What meaning does Amsterdam bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Amsterdam?
2) How different do you think today's Amsterdam is to the Amsterdam in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Amsterdam?
3) How do you think the Amsterdam settings of the novel contributes to the novel's philosophy?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does Camus express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)