|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clamence hear on the the Pont des Arts?
2. What does Clamence accuse the Dutch of being?
3. What does the young woman do in Clamence's story?
4. Why does Clamence help the blind across the street?
5. What does Clamence claim a servant should serve with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the auditor
2. What does Clamence talk about on the walk to the hotel?
3. In what way does Clamence show himself to be a narcissist?
4. In what way does Clamence compare Amsterdam to Dante's circles of hell?
5. What is Clamence's opinion on the Dutch?
6. What is a Sadducee?
7. Summarize the story about the motorcycle Clamence tells in chapter 3?
8. What is a deus ex machina?
9. How is Clamence's role as a deus ex machina an accurate metaphor for his work with the demoralized criminals of Paris?
10. How does the narrator describe the bartender?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the difference between Dutch and French cultures. In what way is it significant that Camus uses these two countries to shape Clamence's ideas? Choose two different countries and discuss how the novel would change if these two countries were used instead of Holland and France.
Essay Topic 2
What is a Judge Penitinent? In what way is it a contradiction? Why is this contradiction important to the ideas that Clamence is trying to express? What does Clamence mean when he says that modern life requires a paradox?
Essay Topic 3
What is Clamence referring to when he states a death of a person brings them closer to us? Is this statement specific to his own personality or is he trying to attribute it to society in general?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)