Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clamence realize about the woman that deceives him?
2. What does society need to stop an argument from stretching into affinity?
3. What does Clamence tell his companion to take advantage of?
4. In what city was Clamence a defense attorney?
5. What is the first topic to be discussed in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Clamence find out when he tried to commit suicide?
2. What does Clamence say is the goal of living?
3. Why does Clamence call attention to the quaintness of Amsterdam?
4. What is Clamence's opinions on Jesus Christ?
5. Describe Clamence's hallucination aboard the boat in chapter 5?
6. What does the boat in the fifth chapter represent?
7. What is Clamence's relationship with women?
8. What is Clamence's role as pope?
9. What does Clamence talk about on the walk to the hotel?
10. In what way is Clamence two faced?
Essay Topic 1
What are the difference between Dutch and French cultures. In what way is it significant that Camus uses these two countries to shape Clamence's ideas? Choose two different countries and discuss how the novel would change if these two countries were used instead of Holland and France.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: The Fall foreshadows the loss of religious belief in the western world Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Examine monologue. How does Camus develop characterization, plot and themes through the use of monologue. What meaning would the novel lose if it was written in ordinary prose?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)