|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clamence want the auditor's sign to summarize?
2. What does Clamence claim he is?
3. Who wrote Inferno?
4. What drink does Clamence talk lyrically about?
5. On what bridge does Clamence witness a suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the bartender?
2. In what way does Clamence show himself to be a narcissist?
3. In what way does chapter three mark the beginning of Clamence's fall?
4. What is Clamence's opinion on slavery?
5. What is significant about the story about the motorcycle?
6. What is a deus ex machina?
7. Why does Clamence say it is easier to be closer to a dead person?
8. Describe the auditor
9. What does Clamence talk about on the walk to the hotel?
10. Describe the Mexico City bar.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Clamence referring to when he states without the strict dynamic of master and servant, any argument could stretch into affinity? Can the view be attribute to today's society or is such a view specific to the 1950s? Why would any argument stretch into affinity?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of the outsider in society. Why are so many philosophers and commentators in society thought of as outsiders? In what what way can outsiders see things differently to the majority? Why is their opinion seen as so valid? if it easier for an outsider like Clamence to recognize problems in society?
Essay Topic 3
The Fall is written in the second person person. Why do you think Camus chose to write the story in the second person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)