|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only language the bartender speaks?
2. What does Clamence refer to himself as?
3. Where does Clamence say he is obliged to live?
4. What does Clamence respect about the Dutch middle class?
5. Who wrote Inferno?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Clamence similar to the criminals he once defended?
2. What was Clamence's role in Paris society?
3. What is Clamence's relationship with women?
4. Why does Clamence say he strives to be selfless?
5. How does Clamence see himself?
6. Why will Clamence not cross bridges?
7. In what way does the author show that Clamence is not as confident as he claims?
8. How does the narrator describe the bartender?
9. What is the significance of Clamence calling himself Jean-Baptiste?
10. What is a Sadducee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Clamence referring to when he states a death of a person brings them closer to us? Is this statement specific to his own personality or is he trying to attribute it to society in general?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the Fall of Man story. How influence has the story had on society? How Camus modernize the message in the Fall? What are the similarities and differences between the message the two stories are trying to convey?
Essay Topic 3
What is a Judge Penitinent? In what way is it a contradiction? Why is this contradiction important to the ideas that Clamence is trying to express? What does Clamence mean when he says that modern life requires a paradox?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)