|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Clamence get across bridges after he heard the laugh?
2. What does Clamence accuse the Dutch of being?
3. What does Clamence believe is necessary?
4. Why does someone in the crowd attack Clamence?
5. Who does Clamence gesture to in the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the story about the motorcycle?
2. How does the laugh Clamence heard on the bridge affect his life?
3. Describe Clamence's experience on the Pont de Arts.
4. Why does Clamence say he strives to be selfless?
5. How does Clamence see himself?
6. In what way does Clamence compare Amsterdam to Dante's circles of hell?
7. What is Clamence's opinion on slavery?
8. What is the significance of Clamence calling himself Jean-Baptiste?
9. In what way does Clamence show himself to be a narcissist?
10. What is a deus ex machina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
2) Away from the narrator examine the way Camus uses the other characters in the story. In what way do they help Clamence get his view across to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set in Amsterdam.
1) What meaning does Amsterdam bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Amsterdam?
2) How different do you think today's Amsterdam is to the Amsterdam in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Amsterdam?
3) How do you think the Amsterdam settings of the novel contributes to the novel's philosophy?
Essay Topic 3
What are the difference between Dutch and French cultures. In what way is it significant that Camus uses these two countries to shape Clamence's ideas? Choose two different countries and discuss how the novel would change if these two countries were used instead of Holland and France.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)