|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was used to lower the deus ex machina on to the satge?
2. Which word best describes Clamence?
3. What does Clamence want the auditor's sign to summarize?
4. What does Clamence respect about the Dutch middle class?
5. What does Clamence see when he when he turn around?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Clamence compare Amsterdam to Dante's circles of hell?
2. What was Clamence's role in Paris society?
3. What does Clamence talk about on the walk to the hotel?
4. What is a Sadducee?
5. Why does Clamence say he strives to be selfless?
6. How does the laugh Clamence heard on the bridge affect his life?
7. What does Clamence say his sign would be?
8. What is Clamence's opinion on slavery?
9. What is Clamence's opinion on the Dutch?
10. In what way is Clamence two faced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Fall is written in the second person person. Why do you think Camus chose to write the story in the second person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the Fall of Man story. How influence has the story had on society? How Camus modernize the message in the Fall? What are the similarities and differences between the message the two stories are trying to convey?
Essay Topic 3
Examine translations. Do you think think a translator has to know about a country as well as the language to translate a book effectively? What do you think The Fall loses in its translation? In what way would you get more out of a book by reading it in its original translation?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)