Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clamence realize about the woman that deceives him?
2. What does society need to stop an argument from stretching into affinity?
3. What does Clamence tell his companion to take advantage of?
4. In what city was Clamence a defense attorney?
5. What is the first topic to be discussed in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Clamence find out when he tried to commit suicide?
2. What does Clamence say is the goal of living?
3. Why does Clamence call attention to the quaintness of Amsterdam?
4. What is Clamence's opinions on Jesus Christ?
5. Describe Clamence's hallucination aboard the boat in chapter 5?
6. What does the boat in the fifth chapter represent?
7. What is Clamence's relationship with women?
8. What is Clamence's role as pope?
9. What does Clamence talk about on the walk to the hotel?
10. In what way is Clamence two faced?
Essay Topic 1
What is a Judge Penitinent? In what way is it a contradiction? Why is this contradiction important to the ideas that Clamence is trying to express? What does Clamence mean when he says that modern life requires a paradox?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
2) Away from the narrator examine the way Camus uses the other characters in the story. In what way do they help Clamence get his view across to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the following statement: The Fall is reacts against existentialism rather than supporting it. Using examples from the book write an essay either for or against the statement.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)