|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the young woman kill herself?
2. What does Clamence say he is guilty of?
3. How did Clamence get across bridges after he heard the laugh?
4. On what bridge does Clamence witness a suicide?
5. What is significant about Clamence's smile in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Clamence's experience on the Pont de Arts.
2. How does Clamence see himself?
3. Summarize the story about the motorcycle Clamence tells in chapter 3?
4. What is significant about the story about the motorcycle?
5. How is Clamence's role as a deus ex machina an accurate metaphor for his work with the demoralized criminals of Paris?
6. What is the significance of Clamence calling himself Jean-Baptiste?
7. What is a Sadducee?
8. What is Clamence's opinion on slavery?
9. What is Clamence's opinion on the Dutch?
10. Why does Clamence say it is easier to be closer to a dead person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Fall is written in the second person person. Why do you think Camus chose to write the story in the second person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine monologue. How does Camus develop characterization, plot and themes through the use of monologue. What meaning would the novel lose if it was written in ordinary prose?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Clamence's character. What is his objective is? What is his conflict? Take what you know about Clamence and write what kind of life you think he would have in today's society. How would his good and bad points translate into today's society?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)