|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clamence not want a woman to love him?
2. What does Clamence say he is guilty of?
3. What does Clamence say he is constantly attached to?
4. What does the burglar require from Clamence?
5. Who does Clamence claim he waits for in Mexico City?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clamence say it is easier to be closer to a dead person?
2. How does Clamence see himself?
3. What is Clamence's opinion on slavery?
4. What is Clamence's relationship with women?
5. Describe Clamence's experience on the Pont de Arts.
6. What do Clamence and his new companion represent?
7. How does the narrator compare Amsterdam and Paris?
8. In what way is Clamence similar to the criminals he once defended?
9. Why will Clamence not cross bridges?
10. What is a Sadducee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Camus' life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What is Clamence referring to when he states a death of a person brings them closer to us? Is this statement specific to his own personality or is he trying to attribute it to society in general?
Essay Topic 3
Examine monologue. How does Camus develop characterization, plot and themes through the use of monologue. What meaning would the novel lose if it was written in ordinary prose?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)