|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Clamence walk the auditor to?
2. What was the narrator's former job?
3. What does Clamence have a firm belief in?
4. What nationality are the two men?
5. What does the narrator call the barman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Mexico City bar.
2. In what way does the author show that Clamence is not as confident as he claims?
3. What is significant about the story about the motorcycle?
4. What is Clamence's relationship with women?
5. What is Clamence's opinion on the Dutch?
6. How does the narrator describe the bartender?
7. How is Clamence's role as a deus ex machina an accurate metaphor for his work with the demoralized criminals of Paris?
8. In what way does Clamence compare Amsterdam to Dante's circles of hell?
9. Why does Clamence say he strives to be selfless?
10. Describe Clamence's experience on the Pont de Arts.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Fall is written in the second person person. Why do you think Camus chose to write the story in the second person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
What are the difference between Dutch and French cultures. In what way is it significant that Camus uses these two countries to shape Clamence's ideas? Choose two different countries and discuss how the novel would change if these two countries were used instead of Holland and France.
Essay Topic 3
What is Clamence referring to when he states a death of a person brings them closer to us? Is this statement specific to his own personality or is he trying to attribute it to society in general?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)