|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bridge does Clamence say he stood on in this chapter?
2. What does the Nazi soldier ask a mother?
3. What does Clamence tell his companion to take advantage of?
4. What does Clamence want the auditor's sign to summarize?
5. What is the name of the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does chapter three mark the beginning of Clamence's fall?
2. Describe Clamence's experience on the Pont de Arts.
3. What is significant about the story about the motorcycle?
4. What was Clamence's role in Paris society?
5. Why will Clamence not cross bridges?
6. What is Clamence's opinion on the Dutch?
7. Why does Clamence say he strives to be selfless?
8. What is Clamence's opinion on slavery?
9. In what way is Clamence similar to the criminals he once defended?
10. What does Clamence talk about on the walk to the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Clamence referring to when he states a death of a person brings them closer to us? Is this statement specific to his own personality or is he trying to attribute it to society in general?
Essay Topic 2
Examine monologue. How does Camus develop characterization, plot and themes through the use of monologue. What meaning would the novel lose if it was written in ordinary prose?
Essay Topic 3
What is a Judge Penitinent? In what way is it a contradiction? Why is this contradiction important to the ideas that Clamence is trying to express? What does Clamence mean when he says that modern life requires a paradox?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)