|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the deus ex machina's role in a play?
2. What does Clamence smile at in this chapter?
3. What should a master exercise power without?
4. What does Clamence hear on the the Pont des Arts?
5. What are the Sadducee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clamence say his sign would be?
2. What is a deus ex machina?
3. What is Clamence's opinion on the Dutch?
4. How does the narrator describe the bartender?
5. In what way does the author show that Clamence is not as confident as he claims?
6. Why does Clamence say he strives to be selfless?
7. How does the narrator compare Amsterdam and Paris?
8. What is the significance of Clamence calling himself Jean-Baptiste?
9. In what way does Clamence compare Amsterdam to Dante's circles of hell?
10. Summarize the story about the motorcycle Clamence tells in chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of Clamence's argument.
1) How does he introduce his ideas?
2) How does he deconstruct his ideas into a logical conclusion?
3) Are the ideas that Camus presents in his book, ideas that relate only the way Clamence lived his life or is the argument a critique of society in general?
Essay Topic 2
Examine translations. Do you think think a translator has to know about a country as well as the language to translate a book effectively? What do you think The Fall loses in its translation? In what way would you get more out of a book by reading it in its original translation?
Essay Topic 3
Examine monologue. How does Camus develop characterization, plot and themes through the use of monologue. What meaning would the novel lose if it was written in ordinary prose?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)