|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does someone in the crowd attack Clamence?
2. What kind of problem does Clamence confess to?
3. Why does the narrator leave his companion at the bridge?
4. What does the Nazi soldier ask a mother?
5. What does Clamence smile at in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Clamence's role as a deus ex machina an accurate metaphor for his work with the demoralized criminals of Paris?
2. How does the narrator describe the bartender?
3. Describe the Mexico City bar.
4. What is a Sadducee?
5. What do Clamence and his new companion represent?
6. Why will Clamence not cross bridges?
7. Describe Clamence's experience on the Pont de Arts.
8. What does Clamence talk about on the walk to the hotel?
9. How does the narrator compare Amsterdam and Paris?
10. In what way does Clamence compare Amsterdam to Dante's circles of hell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Fall is written in the second person person. Why do you think Camus chose to write the story in the second person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between the Auditor and Clamence. What are their similarities and differences? How do these differences and similarities work to form their complex relationship Camus develops? Why is it significant that the Clamence sees the Auditor as someone like himself?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: The Fall foreshadows the loss of religious belief in the western world Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)