|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Inferno?
2. What would Clamence's cards read?
3. What does Clamence say we owe the dead?
4. What type of drink do the men have?
5. What city are the two men in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Mexico City bar.
2. What was Clamence's role in Paris society?
3. In what way is Clamence similar to the criminals he once defended?
4. In what way does Clamence show himself to be a narcissist?
5. In what way does the author show that Clamence is not as confident as he claims?
6. What do Clamence and his new companion represent?
7. How does the narrator compare Amsterdam and Paris?
8. What is Clamence's relationship with women?
9. What is Clamence's opinion on the Dutch?
10. What is a deus ex machina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Camus use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: The Fall foreshadows the loss of religious belief in the western world Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does Camus express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)