Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clamence realize about the woman that deceives him?
2. What does society need to stop an argument from stretching into affinity?
3. What does Clamence tell his companion to take advantage of?
4. In what city was Clamence a defense attorney?
5. What is the first topic to be discussed in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Clamence find out when he tried to commit suicide?
2. What does Clamence say is the goal of living?
3. Why does Clamence call attention to the quaintness of Amsterdam?
4. What is Clamence's opinions on Jesus Christ?
5. Describe Clamence's hallucination aboard the boat in chapter 5?
6. What does the boat in the fifth chapter represent?
7. What is Clamence's relationship with women?
8. What is Clamence's role as pope?
9. What does Clamence talk about on the walk to the hotel?
10. In what way is Clamence two faced?
Examine the relationship between the Auditor and Clamence. What are their similarities and differences? How do these differences and similarities work to form their complex relationship Camus develops? Why is it significant that the Clamence sees the Auditor as someone like himself?
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does Camus express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Examine the role of the outsider in society. Why are so many philosophers and commentators in society thought of as outsiders? In what what way can outsiders see things differently to the majority? Why is their opinion seen as so valid? if it easier for an outsider like Clamence to recognize problems in society?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)