|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Clamence's most important duty?
(a) To manage water rations
(b) To forgive sinners
(c) To bribe the guards
(d) To find women
2. What is a little ease?
(a) A torture instrument
(b) A fountain pen
(c) A young prostitute
(d) A sex toy
3. Who does Clamence say he now possesses as accomplishes
(b) The Dutch
(c) The human race
4. What does Clamence promise to do at the end of chapter 4?
(a) To take the auditor to a bordello
(b) To seek help
(c) To define a judge penitent
(d) To go home
5. Why does Clamence decide to keep only the company of women?
(a) To develop his feminine side
(b) To find a wife
(c) To raise his spirits
(d) To rediscover his passion
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dark speck in reality?
2. What does Clamence attempt to do when he sees the dog?
3. Who does Clamence want to vilify?
4. What kind of faith does the young Frenchman have?
5. What age was the little ease employed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What encourage Clamence to join the foreign legion?
2. Describe Clamence's time in the foreign legion.
3. How has Clamence's relationship with the auditor changed?
4. What is Clamence's reason for stealing a dying man's water?
5. What is a little ease?
6. Why does Clamence call attention to the quaintness of Amsterdam?
7. Summarize Clamence's argument?
8. What did Clamence find out when he tried to commit suicide?
9. How does Clamence make himself feel happy?
10. What does Clamence say is the goal of living?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)