|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Clamence want to vilify?
(a) The royal family
(b) His family
(c) The people he once defended
(d) The French prime minister
2. What part of the ship is Clamence on when he observes the dark speck?
(a) The captain's cabin
(b) The starboard
(c) The upper deck
(d) The lower deck
3. Where is the camp Clamence is sent to?
(b) Cape Town
4. Why does Clamence decide to keep only the company of women?
(a) To develop his feminine side
(b) To raise his spirits
(c) To rediscover his passion
(d) To find a wife
5. When did Clamence claim he contracted malaria?
(a) During his time as pope
(b) During his time as a circus performer
(c) During his time in Africa
(d) During his time in the trenches
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the young man want the prison pope to be elected for?
2. What disallows Frenchmen from walking hand in hand?
3. What does Clamence now think of the auditor as?
4. Why is Clamence chosen to be pope?
5. What does Clamence say women do in Greece?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Clamence's hallucination aboard the boat in chapter 5?
2. What does Clamence say is the goal of living?
3. How does Clamence lose his title of pope?
4. What does Clamence remember about Paris in chapter 5?
5. What debauchery does Clamence partake in?
6. Summarize Clamence's argument?
7. How does Greece contrast with Paris?
8. In what way does Clamence think the deceased is helpless?
9. Why must the doves remain high in the atmosphere?
10. How does Clament change when he begins to fear judgment?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)