|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Clamence offer as pope?
(a) The young Frenchman
(b) His best friend
(c) A prison guard
2. When did Clamence first realize he had no friends?
(a) When he was in hospital
(b) When he tried to kill himself
(c) When he ran the Paris marathon
(d) When he needed money
3. What does Clamence say he lacks in his relationships with women?
(b) An understanding of women
(c) An understanding of love
4. Why is water so important in the camp?
(a) It is a dry climate
(b) It is the only thing to drink
(c) There is a shortage
(d) It is needed for everything
5. What does Clamence promise to do at the end of chapter 4?
(a) To seek help
(b) To define a judge penitent
(c) To go home
(d) To take the auditor to a bordello
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the camp Clamence is sent to?
2. Who does the young man profess hatred for?
3. What does Clamence say is the goal of living?
4. What does Clamence claim the shop signs symbolize?
5. What is the name of the painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Clamence a judge pentinent?
2. How does Clament change when he begins to fear judgment?
3. Describe the Dutch town.
4. What is the essence of Clamence's philosophy?
5. How does Clamence lose his title of pope?
6. What debauchery does Clamence partake in?
7. Why must the doves remain high in the atmosphere?
8. What is Clamence's role as pope?
9. Summarize Clamence's argument?
10. What is Clamence's reason for stealing a dying man's water?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)