|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clamence believe is necessary?
2. What should a master exercise power without?
(c) A whip
3. What does Clamence claim a servant should serve with?
(a) A smile
(b) A scowl
(c) A beady eye
(d) A serious expression
4. Why does the young woman kill herself?
(a) Her child is killed
(b) Clamence does not want her
(c) She has been accused of murder
(d) She is pregnant
5. Where does Clamence claim Amsterdam's denizens inhabit?
(a) Ancient Greece
(b) Ancient Egypt
(d) Ancient Rome
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Clamence claim he used to act as an advocate for?
2. What does Clamence not want the women he is with to do?
3. What does Clamence claim would be true happiness for him?
4. What would Clamence's cards read?
5. What was the narrator's former job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Clamence's argument?
2. What is Clamence's opinion on slavery?
3. How does the narrator describe the bartender?
4. What does Clamence show himself up to be in this chapter?
5. In what way is Clamence similar to the criminals he once defended?
6. What is significant about the story about the motorcycle?
7. In what way does Clamence compare Amsterdam to Dante's circles of hell?
8. In what way does the author show that Clamence is not as confident as he claims?
9. In what way does Clamence think the deceased is helpless?
10. How has Clamence's relationship with the auditor changed?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)