|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is significant about Clamence's smile in this chapter?
(a) It is the first suggestion of self dout
(b) It shows his evil intent
(c) It is the first sign of his madness
(d) It shows he loves only himself
2. What is the full name of the narrator?
(a) Jean-Michel Genet
(b) Albert Camus
(c) Jean-Baptiste Clamence
(d) Fillipe Flaubert
3. What was the deus ex machina's role in a play?
(a) To kill the maiden
(b) To save the maiden
(c) To pronounce its end
(d) To pronouce its beginning
4. What does Clamence claim he is?
(a) A dictator
(b) A sensualist
(c) A atheist
(d) A hate figure
5. Where does Clamence walk the auditor to?
(a) A restaurant
(b) His boat
(c) A brothel
(d) His hotel
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does the first line of this chapter ask?
2. What two things does Clamence claim he shares with the auditor?
3. Where does Clamence claim Amsterdam's denizens inhabit?
4. What was the narrator's former job?
5. Why does someone in the crowd attack Clamence?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Clamence show himself to be a narcissist?
2. How does Clamence lose his title of pope?
3. How does Clamence decide to add excitement to his life in chapter 5?
4. What encourage Clamence to join the foreign legion?
5. What did Clamence find out when he tried to commit suicide?
6. Describe the Dutch town.
7. What is the significance of Clamence calling himself Jean-Baptiste?
8. How does the laugh Clamence heard on the bridge affect his life?
9. What is Clamence's reason for stealing a dying man's water?
10. What does the little ease signify?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)