|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clamence refer to his new companion as?
(a) A Sadduce
(b) A slave
(c) A martyr
(d) A mason
2. What phrase does Clamence use to describe his fall?
(a) Evening when the music stopped and the lights went out.
(b) Night when the sky was black and people forgot to smile
(c) When everyone turned their backs
(d) Day when he told his wife he did not want to see her again
3. Where does Clamence walk the auditor to?
(a) A brothel
(b) A restaurant
(c) His hotel
(d) His boat
4. What did Clamence father do for a living?
(a) A lawyer
(b) An officer in the army
(c) A policeman
(d) A pilot
5. What drink does Clamence talk lyrically about?
Short Answer Questions
1. What begins Clamence's dissertation on power?
2. What was the narrator's former job?
3. On what bridge does Clamence witness a suicide?
4. What does the burglar require from Clamence?
5. What does Clamence say he is constantly attached to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Clamence's role as a deus ex machina an accurate metaphor for his work with the demoralized criminals of Paris?
2. In what way does the author show that Clamence is not as confident as he claims?
3. What is significant about the story about the motorcycle?
4. How does the narrator describe the bartender?
5. What is Clamence's opinion on slavery?
6. In what way does Clamence compare Amsterdam to Dante's circles of hell?
7. Why will Clamence not cross bridges?
8. How does Clamence see himself?
9. Why does Clamence say it is easier to be closer to a dead person?
10. Describe the Mexico City bar.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)