|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clamence say we owe the dead?
(c) An apology
(d) A monument
2. How did Clamence get across bridges after he heard the laugh?
(b) He ran
(d) Bus or car
3. What is the first topic to be discussed in this chapter?
(a) Crossing bridges
(c) The laughter
4. What does Clamence refer to himself as?
(a) A deus ex machina
(b) A Jekyl and Hyde
(c) A fool
(d) A philosopher
5. Why does Clamence not want a woman to love him?
(a) Because he could never love
(b) Because he is a sensualist
(c) Because of the responsibilty
(d) Becasue he would have to marry them
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following subjects does Clamence talk about as they walk?
2. What is the only language the bartender speaks?
3. Where does Clamence claim Amsterdam's denizens inhabit?
4. What is the full name of the narrator?
5. What two passions do Parisians have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clamence see himself?
2. Describe Clamence's experience on the Pont de Arts.
3. How does the narrator describe the bartender?
4. Why does Clamence say he strives to be selfless?
5. What is the significance of Clamence calling himself Jean-Baptiste?
6. Describe the Mexico City bar.
7. In what way does Clamence compare Amsterdam to Dante's circles of hell?
8. What do Clamence and his new companion represent?
9. What was Clamence's role in Paris society?
10. What is a Sadducee?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)