|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word best describes Clamence?
2. Where does Clamence say he is obliged to live?
(a) Above mankind
(b) With his parents
(c) In a homeless shelter
(d) In Amsterdam
3. What does Clamence say happens when a close relative or friend dies?
(a) They become closer to ou
(b) You move on
(c) You lose a part of yourself
(d) You forget them
4. What was the deus ex machina's role in a play?
(a) To save the maiden
(b) To pronouce its beginning
(c) To pronounce its end
(d) To kill the maiden
5. What drink does Clamence talk lyrically about?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what book is the circles of hell described?
2. What did Clamence father do for a living?
3. What does Clamence not want the women he is with to do?
4. What does Clamence suggests happens when he climbs to great heights?
5. What begins Clamence's dissertation on power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Clamence's relationship with women?
2. How is Clamence's role as a deus ex machina an accurate metaphor for his work with the demoralized criminals of Paris?
3. How does the narrator compare Amsterdam and Paris?
4. What is the significance of Clamence calling himself Jean-Baptiste?
5. What does Clamence show himself up to be in this chapter?
6. Why will Clamence not cross bridges?
7. How does Clamence see himself?
8. Describe the Mexico City bar.
9. Why does Clamence say it is easier to be closer to a dead person?
10. How does the narrator describe the bartender?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)