|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of soldier does Clamence tell a story about?
(a) A Roman soldier
(b) A Nazi soldier
(c) A Dutch soldier
(d) A foreign legion soldier
2. What is an example of the use of power Clamence talks about?
3. What does Clamence believe his story illustrates?
(a) His integrity
(b) His love of life
(c) Self confidence
(d) Self awareness
4. Who wrote Inferno?
(a) John Milton
(b) Albert Camus
5. Which of the following terms does Clamence use to describe the auditor?
(a) A lover and a thinker
(b) Seriously humorous
(c) Cultured bourgeois
(d) A moral interpreter
Short Answer Questions
1. What begins Clamence's dissertation on power?
2. How does Clamence show his power when it comes to women?
3. What does Clamence think understanding is?
4. What was the deus ex machina's role in a play?
5. What two things does Clamence claim he shares with the auditor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the auditor
2. What is significant about the story about the motorcycle?
3. What is Clamence's relationship with women?
4. Why does Clamence say he strives to be selfless?
5. Describe the Mexico City bar.
6. How is Clamence's role as a deus ex machina an accurate metaphor for his work with the demoralized criminals of Paris?
7. In what way does Clamence compare Amsterdam to Dante's circles of hell?
8. In what way does the author show that Clamence is not as confident as he claims?
9. How does Clamence see himself?
10. How does the narrator describe the bartender?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)