|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clamence say he is successful with?
(a) The opposite sex
(b) The stock market
(c) Defending criminals
2. What does the young woman do in Clamence's story?
(a) Commits suicide
(b) Robs a bank
(c) Cuts out her eyes
(d) Marries a tyrant
3. What city are the two men in?
4. What does Clamence respect about the Dutch middle class?
(a) Their arrogance
(b) Their business sense
(c) Their morals
(d) Their high ideas
5. What does Clamence compare Amsterdam's canals to?
(a) Neverending love
(b) Angels guarding heaven's gate
(c) The circles of hell
(d) Medieval castles
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clamence say would happen if every criminal were sentenced?
2. What does Clamence refer to his new companion as?
3. What does Clamence believe his story illustrates?
4. What is significant about Clamence's smile in this chapter?
5. Who wrote Inferno?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Clamence's experience on the Pont de Arts.
2. In what way does Clamence compare Amsterdam to Dante's circles of hell?
3. How does Clamence see himself?
4. What does Clamence say his sign would be?
5. In what way does chapter three mark the beginning of Clamence's fall?
6. Describe the auditor
7. What is a deus ex machina?
8. Why will Clamence not cross bridges?
9. What is significant about the story about the motorcycle?
10. What was Clamence's role in Paris society?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)