|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clamence have the ability to judge average society?
(a) He have lived with all classes
(b) He is well educated
(c) He is an outsider
(d) He is above them
2. Where does Clamence walk the auditor to?
(a) His hotel
(b) A restaurant
(c) His boat
(d) A brothel
3. What is an example of the use of power Clamence talks about?
4. What city are the two men in?
5. What does Clamence refer to his new companion as?
(a) A mason
(b) A martyr
(c) A slave
(d) A Sadduce
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator leave his companion at the bridge?
2. What does Clamence claim he is?
3. What does Clamence smile at in this chapter?
4. What did Clamence father do for a living?
5. What bridge does Clamence say he stood on in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the story about the motorcycle?
2. Why does Clamence say he strives to be selfless?
3. How does Clamence see himself?
4. What is Clamence's relationship with women?
5. In what way does chapter three mark the beginning of Clamence's fall?
6. What do Clamence and his new companion represent?
7. What was Clamence's role in Paris society?
8. What is a deus ex machina?
9. How is Clamence's role as a deus ex machina an accurate metaphor for his work with the demoralized criminals of Paris?
10. Describe the auditor
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)