|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clamence say he is doomed to?
(b) An empty eternity
2. In what city was Clamence a defense attorney?
3. Why does the young woman kill herself?
(a) Her child is killed
(b) She is pregnant
(c) She has been accused of murder
(d) Clamence does not want her
4. What was the narrator's former job?
(b) Army officer
5. What does Clamence respect about the Dutch middle class?
(a) Their high ideas
(b) Their business sense
(c) Their arrogance
(d) Their morals
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clamence believe his story illustrates?
2. What should a master exercise power without?
3. What does Clamence smile at in this chapter?
4. What city does Clamence compare Amsterdam with?
5. What kind of soldier does Clamence tell a story about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator compare Amsterdam and Paris?
2. In what way is Clamence similar to the criminals he once defended?
3. What is the significance of Clamence calling himself Jean-Baptiste?
4. In what way does the author show that Clamence is not as confident as he claims?
5. Describe the Mexico City bar.
6. What is a deus ex machina?
7. What does Clamence talk about on the walk to the hotel?
8. What was Clamence's role in Paris society?
9. What does Clamence show himself up to be in this chapter?
10. In what way does Clamence show himself to be a narcissist?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)