|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the deus ex machina's role in a play?
(a) To kill the maiden
(b) To pronouce its beginning
(c) To save the maiden
(d) To pronounce its end
2. What bridge does Clamence say he stood on in this chapter?
(a) London Bridge
(b) Pont des Arts
(c) Brooklyn Bridge
(d) Amsterdam Bridge
3. Who does Clamence claim he waits for in Mexico City?
(a) Lonely women
(c) Displaced Europeans
(d) A friend
4. From what culture does the deus ex machina come from?
5. What two traitors does Clamence mention in this chapter?
(a) Lucifer and Trotsky
(b) Guy Fawkes and Judas
(c) Judas and Lucifer
(d) Guy Fawkes and Lucifer
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clamence smile at in this chapter?
2. What does the young woman do in Clamence's story?
3. Where does Clamence say he is obliged to live?
4. What was the narrator's former job?
5. What type of drink do the men have?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the author show that Clamence is not as confident as he claims?
2. What is the significance of Clamence calling himself Jean-Baptiste?
3. What was Clamence's role in Paris society?
4. In what way does Clamence show himself to be a narcissist?
5. What is a Sadducee?
6. What is Clamence's opinion on slavery?
7. How does Clamence see himself?
8. How does the laugh Clamence heard on the bridge affect his life?
9. Describe the auditor
10. What is Clamence's opinion on the Dutch?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)