|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Clamence help the blind across the street?
(a) For women
(b) For money
(c) Tomake others look bad
(d) To gain pleasure of virtue
2. Who did Clamence have an argument with?
(a) A woman on a dead horse
(b) A man on a stalled motorcycle
(c) His wife
(d) His brother
3. What does Clamence hear on the the Pont des Arts?
(c) A thousand voices
4. What was used to lower the deus ex machina on to the satge?
(a) A rope
(b) A pulley
(c) A pole
(d) A crane
5. Why does someone in the crowd attack Clamence?
(a) To force him to leave
(b) To stop him from attacking the motor cyclist
(c) To shut him up
(d) To stop him from talking to his wife
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator call the barman?
2. Who does Clamence gesture to in the bar?
3. What does Clamence claim his occupation is?
4. Who does Clamence claim he waits for in Mexico City?
5. What was the narrator's former job?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the author show that Clamence is not as confident as he claims?
2. Summarize the story about the motorcycle Clamence tells in chapter 3?
3. What was Clamence's role in Paris society?
4. What is significant about the story about the motorcycle?
5. In what way does chapter three mark the beginning of Clamence's fall?
6. In what way is Clamence two faced?
7. Describe Clamence's experience on the Pont de Arts.
8. How does the narrator compare Amsterdam and Paris?
9. What is a Sadducee?
10. How is Clamence's role as a deus ex machina an accurate metaphor for his work with the demoralized criminals of Paris?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)