|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Clamence intend to end up?
2. What does Clamence say the underlying environment of the Dutch part of town is like?
(a) Gray, wet and devoid of people
(b) Quiet and shy
(c) Humorous and quaint
(d) A criminal wasteland
3. What does Clamence suffer from?
4. When did Clamence claim he contracted malaria?
(a) During his time as pope
(b) During his time in the trenches
(c) During his time in Africa
(d) During his time as a circus performer
5. Whose company does Clamence say he removes himself from?
6. Why does Clamence claim he is a Judge Pentinent?
(a) Because the world is unjust
(b) Because his father was
(c) Because of the hypocrisy of the world
(d) Because he is funny
7. What country does Clamence talk about in this chapter?
8. What subject does Clamence move onto after he talks about his lack of friends?
9. What door does Clamence ask the auditor to lock?
(a) The cabinet door
(b) The bedroom door
(c) The kitchen door
(d) The wardrobe door
10. What happens to a person's body when they are in the little ease?
(a) It snaps in half
(b) It sheds its skin
(c) It loosens
(d) It stiffens
11. What door does Clamence ask the auditor to open?
(a) The wardrobe
(b) The cupboard
(c) The bedroom
(d) The kitchen
12. What brings an end to Clamence's brief happiness?
(b) Losing his job
(c) Liver disease
(d) The death of his mother
13. What is the dark speck in reality?
(a) A piece of refuse
(b) A golf ball
(c) A fish
(d) A woman
14. What does Clamence observe on the surface of the water?
(a) His trousers
(b) A dark speck
(c) A whale
(d) A human foot
15. What part of the ship is Clamence on when he observes the dark speck?
(a) The upper deck
(b) The captain's cabin
(c) The lower deck
(d) The starboard
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clamence say is the goal of living?
2. Where is Clamence sent when he joins the French resistance?
3. Where did the painting once hang?
4. Why does Clamence decide to keep only the company of women?
5. What does Clamence say women do in Greece?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)