|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clamence say the underlying environment of the Dutch part of town is like?
(a) A criminal wasteland
(b) Gray, wet and devoid of people
(c) Quiet and shy
(d) Humorous and quaint
2. What does Clamence say is the only reason for suicide?
(a) To get out of debt
(b) To go to heaven
(c) To observe its affects
(d) To end ones life
3. Where did the painting once hang?
(a) Buckingham Palace
(b) The national gallery
(c) The Mexico City bar
(d) Windsor Castle
4. What kind of love does the woman Clamence falls in love with believe in?
(a) Love found in romance novels
(b) Love for animals
(c) Violent love
(d) Love for mankind
5. What does Clamence claim the shop signs symbolize?
6. What is the first stage of Clamence's argument?
(a) He sets up a web of lies
(b) He accuses himself
(c) He lays out the truth
(d) He gets the attention of his audience
7. When did Clamence first realize he had no friends?
(a) When he ran the Paris marathon
(b) When he needed money
(c) When he was in hospital
(d) When he tried to kill himself
8. Who does the girl want to punish when she kills herself?
(a) Her brother
(b) Her boyfriend
(c) Her mother
(d) Her father
9. What do jailers do to a person in the spitting cell?
(a) Spit on them
(b) Throw hot coffee in their face
(c) Gouge their eyes
(d) Pull their hair
10. Who does Clamence offer as pope?
(a) His best friend
(b) A prison guard
(d) The young Frenchman
11. What does Clamence attempt to do when he sees the dog?
(a) Kick it
(b) Run away
(c) Call it
(d) Feed it
12. Where is Clamence at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) In his sick bed
(b) In a hotel
(c) In London
(d) In cafe
13. What is the dark speck in reality?
(a) A golf ball
(b) A piece of refuse
(c) A fish
(d) A woman
14. What other torture apparatus does Clamence mention in this chapter?
(a) The hair puller
(b) A spitting cell
(c) A thumb screw
(d) The rack
15. What does Clamence say is the goal of living?
(a) To avoid judgement
(b) To get to heaven
(c) To fall in love
(d) To avoid punishment
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Clamence see the dog?
2. Who painted the painting?
3. What is Clamence's most important duty?
4. What part of the ship is Clamence on when he observes the dark speck?
5. What does Clamence now think of the auditor as?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)