|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Clamence think of the auditor as before this chapter?
(a) As a compatriot
(b) As a dear friend
(c) As a lost brother
(d) As a fellow sinner
2. When does Clamence say his fear of judgment was born?
(a) The night on Pont Royal
(b) The incident with the motorcyclist
(c) The night on the Pont du Art
(d) The day he was fired
3. Where does Clamence intend to end up?
4. What door does Clamence ask the auditor to open?
(a) The wardrobe
(b) The cupboard
(c) The kitchen
(d) The bedroom
5. When did Clamence first realize he had no friends?
(a) When he needed money
(b) When he tried to kill himself
(c) When he ran the Paris marathon
(d) When he was in hospital
6. What does Clamence now think of the auditor as?
(a) A fellow sinner
(b) A comedian
(c) A dear friend
(d) A blood brother
7. What does Clamence say is happiness for him?
(a) Making others unhappy
(b) Making women cry
(c) Making people laugh
(d) Feeling love
8. What country does Clamence talk about in this chapter?
9. What is Clamence too self obsessed to do?
(c) Kill himself
10. What does Clamence observe on the surface of the water?
(a) A dark speck
(b) A whale
(c) His trousers
(d) A human foot
11. What other torture apparatus does Clamence mention in this chapter?
(a) A spitting cell
(b) The hair puller
(c) The rack
(d) A thumb screw
12. What kind of love does the woman Clamence falls in love with believe in?
(a) Love for mankind
(b) Violent love
(c) Love for animals
(d) Love found in romance novels
13. Who does Clamence want to vilify?
(a) The royal family
(b) The French prime minister
(c) His family
(d) The people he once defended
14. Why is Clamence chosen to be pope?
(a) He is is a complete failure
(b) No one else volunteers
(c) He is nice to the young Frenchman
(d) He has goodness
15. Where is the camp Clamence is sent to?
(a) Cape Town
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Clamence see the dog?
2. What do jailers do to a person in the spitting cell?
3. What does Clamence say the underlying environment of the Dutch part of town is like?
4. What does the young man want the prison pope to be elected for?
5. What does Clamence continue to hear even in his forlorn state?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)