|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Clamence claim he contracted malaria?
(a) During his time in the trenches
(b) During his time as pope
(c) During his time in Africa
(d) During his time as a circus performer
2. What does the mention of the little ease provoke Clamence to talk about next?
(a) Love and marriage
(c) Innocence and guilt
(d) The financial market
3. Whose company does Clamence say he removes himself from?
4. What does Clamence say he is not seduced by?
(a) The Dutch part of town
(c) The auditor
(d) Pretty women
5. What did Clamence want to achieve by killing himself?
(a) Make a political statement
(b) Play on the emotions of his friends
(c) Get in the newspapers
(d) Make his mother feel guilty
6. What city does Clamence contrast Greece to?
7. What does Clamence observe on the surface of the water?
(a) A human foot
(b) A whale
(c) A dark speck
(d) His trousers
8. Who does Clament fantasize assaulting?
(a) His lover
(b) The auditor
(c) His mother
(d) Blind people
9. Who does Clamence offer as pope?
(a) A prison guard
(b) The young Frenchman
(d) His best friend
10. How does Clamence lose his position as pope?
(a) He drinks the water of a dying man
(b) He becomes an atheist
(c) He lies
(d) He confesses his sins
11. What does Clamence say he has a lack of?
12. Who painted the painting?
(a) His father
(c) Vincent Van Gogh
(d) Jan van Eyck
13. What does Clamence say happens to everybody he meets?
(a) They become an accomplice in his game
(b) They kill themslves
(c) They fall in love with him
(d) They lose faith in themselves
14. When did Clamence first realize he had no friends?
(a) When he was in hospital
(b) When he needed money
(c) When he ran the Paris marathon
(d) When he tried to kill himself
15. What other torture apparatus does Clamence mention in this chapter?
(a) The hair puller
(b) A spitting cell
(c) The rack
(d) A thumb screw
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the ship is Clamence on when he observes the dark speck?
2. Who takes Clamence hostage in Tunisia?
3. What is the sky full of?
4. What do jailers do to a person in the spitting cell?
5. Where did the painting once hang?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)