|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what chapter did Clamence first mention the little ease?
(a) Chapter 2
(b) Chapter 4
(c) Chapter 1
(d) Chapter 3
2. What does Clamence claim decides a person's guilt?
(a) The media
(b) A judge
(c) Public opinion
(d) The government
3. What does Clamence turn to in an attempt to rediscover his enthusiasm?
4. How does Clamence celebrate the curing of his illness?
(a) A cruise
(b) A night of debauchery
(c) A party
(d) An expensive lunch
5. What is Clamence's most important duty?
(a) To bribe the guards
(b) To manage water rations
(c) To forgive sinners
(d) To find women
6. What are Clamence and the auditor traveling on in this chapter?
(a) A bus
(b) A boat
(c) A go kart
(d) A tram
7. What does Clamence say he can no longer bear?
(a) The emptiness of Paris
(b) His duplicity
8. What happens to a person's body when they are in the little ease?
(a) It loosens
(b) It stiffens
(c) It snaps in half
(d) It sheds its skin
9. What does the mention of the little ease provoke Clamence to talk about next?
(a) Innocence and guilt
(b) Love and marriage
(d) The financial market
10. When did Clamence first realize he had no friends?
(a) When he ran the Paris marathon
(b) When he tried to kill himself
(c) When he needed money
(d) When he was in hospital
11. Who does the young man profess hatred for?
(a) The guards
(b) All priests
(c) His family
(d) The pope
12. What does Clamence say is the goal of living?
(a) To get to heaven
(b) To avoid punishment
(c) To fall in love
(d) To avoid judgement
13. What other torture apparatus does Clamence mention in this chapter?
(a) A spitting cell
(b) The hair puller
(c) The rack
(d) A thumb screw
14. What subject does Clamence move onto after he talks about his lack of friends?
15. How does Clamence lose his position as pope?
(a) He becomes an atheist
(b) He confesses his sins
(c) He lies
(d) He drinks the water of a dying man
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clamence say he has a lack of?
2. Where does Clamence see the dog?
3. What does Clamence assure the auditor the boat is doing?
4. Who does the girl want to punish when she kills herself?
5. How many subjects has Clamence got to deal with before he tackles the judge pentinent?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)