|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clamence observe on the surface of the water?
(a) His trousers
(b) A human foot
(c) A dark speck
(d) A whale
2. Who does Clamence talk about after his discussion about innocence and guilt?
(a) The auditor
(b) Jesus Christ
(c) His best friend
(d) His mother
3. Who does Clament fantasize assaulting?
(a) Blind people
(b) His mother
(c) His lover
(d) The auditor
4. What does Clamence say happens to everybody he meets?
(a) They kill themslves
(b) They become an accomplice in his game
(c) They fall in love with him
(d) They lose faith in themselves
5. Why does Clamence decide to keep only the company of women?
(a) To raise his spirits
(b) To rediscover his passion
(c) To develop his feminine side
(d) To find a wife
6. What kind of love does the woman Clamence falls in love with believe in?
(a) Love for animals
(b) Love for mankind
(c) Love found in romance novels
(d) Violent love
7. What is the sky full of?
8. What is Clamence's most important duty?
(a) To find women
(b) To bribe the guards
(c) To manage water rations
(d) To forgive sinners
9. What other torture apparatus does Clamence mention in this chapter?
(a) The rack
(b) A spitting cell
(c) The hair puller
(d) A thumb screw
10. How does Clamence lose his position as pope?
(a) He becomes an atheist
(b) He confesses his sins
(c) He lies
(d) He drinks the water of a dying man
11. What does the young man want the prison pope to be elected for?
(a) His failings
(b) His height
(c) His ugliness
(d) His skill at ping pong
12. What does Clamence promise to do at the end of chapter 4?
(a) To take the auditor to a bordello
(b) To define a judge penitent
(c) To go home
(d) To seek help
13. What does Clamence continue to hear even in his forlorn state?
(c) His father's choice
14. Where did the painting once hang?
(a) Buckingham Palace
(b) Windsor Castle
(c) The national gallery
(d) The Mexico City bar
15. What country does Clamence follow his friend to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must the doves remain in the sky?
2. What do jailers do to a person in the spitting cell?
3. What does Clamence say is the only reason for suicide?
4. What does Clamence assure the auditor the boat is doing?
5. What did Clamence think of the auditor as before this chapter?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)