|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clamence believe his story illustrates?
(a) Self awareness
(b) His love of life
(c) Self confidence
(d) His integrity
2. What does Clamence smile at in this chapter?
(a) A child
(b) A mirror
(c) A dog
(d) A woman
3. What does the Nazi soldier ask a mother?
(a) If she has a cigarette
(b) If she loves her sons
(c) Which of her sons should be executed
(d) If she wants to kill her child herself
4. In what book is the circles of hell described?
(a) Paradise Lost
(b) The bible
(d) The koran
5. What begins Clamence's dissertation on power?
(a) A group of women
(b) The auditor's lack of confidence
(c) A slave trader's sign
(d) The barman's presence
6. What does Clamence accuse the Dutch of being?
7. What type of drink do the men have?
8. What was the deus ex machina's role in a play?
(a) To save the maiden
(b) To pronouce its beginning
(c) To kill the maiden
(d) To pronounce its end
9. What does Clamence say he was forced to remember?
(a) His actions and motivations
(b) His brother
(c) His parents
(d) His love for life
10. Where does Clamence walk the auditor to?
(a) A restaurant
(b) His hotel
(c) His boat
(d) A brothel
11. What does Clamence see when he when he turn around?
(a) His dead father
(b) A child
(d) A red balloon
12. Why does the narrator leave his companion at the bridge?
(a) He never crosses bridges
(b) He sees a friend
(c) He does not want the hotel owner to see him
(d) He is in a hurry
13. Why does someone in the crowd attack Clamence?
(a) To force him to leave
(b) To shut him up
(c) To stop him from talking to his wife
(d) To stop him from attacking the motor cyclist
14. What does Clamence claim his occupation is?
(a) Judge penitent
15. What is an example of the use of power Clamence talks about?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clamence not want the women he is with to do?
2. What does Clamence have a firm belief in?
3. What is significant about Clamence's smile in this chapter?
4. What bridge does Clamence say he stood on in this chapter?
5. What city does Clamence compare Amsterdam with?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)