|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the young woman kill herself?
(a) She is pregnant
(b) She has been accused of murder
(c) Clamence does not want her
(d) Her child is killed
2. What does Clamence say his own sign would look like?
(a) Jack on the Beanstalk
(b) Hell's flames
(c) Both his mother and father
(d) A two face Janus
3. What question does the first line of this chapter ask?
(a) Why is the bar called Mexico City?
(b) What is a judge-penitent?
(c) Who is the auditor?
(d) Where is Amsterdan?
4. What is the full name of the narrator?
(a) Jean-Michel Genet
(b) Jean-Baptiste Clamence
(c) Albert Camus
(d) Fillipe Flaubert
5. What begins Clamence's dissertation on power?
(a) The barman's presence
(b) The auditor's lack of confidence
(c) A group of women
(d) A slave trader's sign
6. What nationality are the two men?
7. Why does the narrator leave his companion at the bridge?
(a) He never crosses bridges
(b) He is in a hurry
(c) He does not want the hotel owner to see him
(d) He sees a friend
8. What does Clamence say a woman's faithfulness feeds?
(a) His brain
(b) His soul
(c) His heart
(d) His ego
9. What does the narrator call the barman?
(a) A cheeky monkey
(b) A man of fun
(c) A huggable bear
(d) A worthy ape
10. What does Clamence think understanding is?
(b) A waste of time
(c) A mediocre emotion
(d) The main stay of all relationships
11. What drink does Clamence talk lyrically about?
12. Which of the following terms does Clamence use to describe the auditor?
(a) Seriously humorous
(b) A lover and a thinker
(c) Cultured bourgeois
(d) A moral interpreter
13. What does Clamence say we owe the dead?
(c) A monument
(d) An apology
14. What two traitors does Clamence mention in this chapter?
(a) Guy Fawkes and Judas
(b) Lucifer and Trotsky
(c) Guy Fawkes and Lucifer
(d) Judas and Lucifer
15. What does Clamence believe his story illustrates?
(a) Self awareness
(b) His integrity
(c) Self confidence
(d) His love of life
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clamence claim he is?
2. What does Clamence say would happen if every criminal were sentenced?
3. What is an example of the use of power Clamence talks about?
4. Where does Clamence walk the auditor to?
5. Why does Clamence help the blind across the street?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)