|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is significant about Clamence's smile in this chapter?
(a) It shows he loves only himself
(b) It shows his evil intent
(c) It is the first sign of his madness
(d) It is the first suggestion of self dout
2. Why does Clamence not want a woman to love him?
(a) Because of the responsibilty
(b) Because he is a sensualist
(c) Because he could never love
(d) Becasue he would have to marry them
3. Where does Clamence say he is obliged to live?
(a) With his parents
(b) Above mankind
(c) In Amsterdam
(d) In a homeless shelter
4. What does Clamence believe his story illustrates?
(a) His integrity
(b) His love of life
(c) Self confidence
(d) Self awareness
5. What kind of problem does Clamence confess to?
(a) A socital problem
(b) A psychological and physical problem
(c) A family problem
(d) A sex problem
6. Why does the narrator leave his companion at the bridge?
(a) He does not want the hotel owner to see him
(b) He never crosses bridges
(c) He sees a friend
(d) He is in a hurry
7. How does Clamence show his power when it comes to women?
(a) Going with whom he please when he pleases
(b) Forcing his women into oaths of faithfulness
(c) Flexing his muscles
8. What does Clamence claim he is?
(a) A dictator
(b) A sensualist
(c) A hate figure
(d) A atheist
9. What was the deus ex machina's role in a play?
(a) To pronounce its end
(b) To save the maiden
(c) To pronouce its beginning
(d) To kill the maiden
10. From what culture does the deus ex machina come from?
11. What does Clamence tell his companion to take advantage of?
(a) The free hotel breakfast
(b) The lack of security in the hotel
(c) The local prostitutes
(d) His company
12. What does Clamence suggests happens when he climbs to great heights?
(a) He falls
(b) He loses his integrity
(c) He falls in love
(d) He becomes king
13. What drink does Clamence talk lyrically about?
14. What are the Sadducee?
(a) A Sikh sect
(b) A Muslim sect
(c) A Christian sect
(d) A Jewish sect
15. What does Clamence have a firm belief in?
(a) His abilty as a lawyer
(b) His intelligence
(c) His seduction of women
(d) His superioty
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Clamence claim he waits for in Mexico City?
2. What is the full name of the narrator?
3. What does Clamence realize about the woman that deceives him?
4. Who did Clamence have an argument with?
5. What does Clamence say he is constantly attached to?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)