|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Clamence claim Amsterdam's denizens inhabit?
(a) Ancient Greece
(b) Ancient Rome
(c) Ancient Egypt
2. How does Clamence show his power when it comes to women?
(a) Flexing his muscles
(b) Forcing his women into oaths of faithfulness
(c) Going with whom he please when he pleases
3. What does Clamence compare Amsterdam's canals to?
(a) Angels guarding heaven's gate
(b) Medieval castles
(c) Neverending love
(d) The circles of hell
4. Who wrote Inferno?
(c) John Milton
(d) Albert Camus
5. What does Clamence claim would be true happiness for him?
(a) Seven virgins
(b) A non existent sex drive
(c) Women waiting on him
(d) Eight wives
6. What nationality are the two men?
7. Which of the following subjects does Clamence talk about as they walk?
(a) Hitler's death
(c) Nazi genocide
8. What does Clamence hear on the the Pont des Arts?
(b) A thousand voices
9. Why does the narrator leave his companion at the bridge?
(a) He never crosses bridges
(b) He does not want the hotel owner to see him
(c) He sees a friend
(d) He is in a hurry
10. What does Clamence refer to himself as?
(a) A deus ex machina
(b) A fool
(c) A philosopher
(d) A Jekyl and Hyde
11. Why does Clamence not want a woman to love him?
(a) Because he could never love
(b) Because he is a sensualist
(c) Because of the responsibilty
(d) Becasue he would have to marry them
12. How does Clamence have the ability to judge average society?
(a) He is above them
(b) He have lived with all classes
(c) He is well educated
(d) He is an outsider
13. What kind of soldier does Clamence tell a story about?
(a) A Dutch soldier
(b) A foreign legion soldier
(c) A Roman soldier
(d) A Nazi soldier
14. What was the narrator's former job?
(c) Army officer
15. What drink does Clamence talk lyrically about?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the burglar require from Clamence?
2. What was used to lower the deus ex machina on to the satge?
3. What does Clamence suggests happens when he climbs to great heights?
4. What does the young woman do in Clamence's story?
5. What does Clamence say his own sign would look like?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)