|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word best describes Clamence?
2. What does the burglar require from Clamence?
(a) A woman
(d) The time
3. From what culture does the deus ex machina come from?
4. What two traitors does Clamence mention in this chapter?
(a) Lucifer and Trotsky
(b) Guy Fawkes and Judas
(c) Judas and Lucifer
(d) Guy Fawkes and Lucifer
5. What does Clamence feel when the young woman kills herself?
(c) Deep sorrow
6. What is an example of the use of power Clamence talks about?
7. What does the narrator call the barman?
(a) A man of fun
(b) A cheeky monkey
(c) A worthy ape
(d) A huggable bear
8. What does Clamence say he is doomed to?
(c) An empty eternity
9. What does Clamence say he is constantly attached to?
(c) His mother
10. How does Clamence show his power when it comes to women?
(a) Flexing his muscles
(b) Going with whom he please when he pleases
(d) Forcing his women into oaths of faithfulness
11. What does Clamence want the auditor's sign to summarize?
(a) His feelings
(b) His character
(c) His life
(d) His looks
12. What was the narrator's former job?
(d) Army officer
13. What does Clamence think understanding is?
(b) The main stay of all relationships
(c) A mediocre emotion
(d) A waste of time
14. What does Clamence say he is successful with?
(a) The opposite sex
(b) The stock market
(c) Defending criminals
15. What does Clamence see when he when he turn around?
(a) A child
(c) His dead father
(d) A red balloon
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clamence refer to himself as?
2. What two things does Clamence claim he shares with the auditor?
3. What two passions do Parisians have?
4. How does Clamence have the ability to judge average society?
5. Why does Clamence help the blind across the street?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)