Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the bartender?
2. How does the narrator compare Amsterdam and Paris?
3. Describe the auditor
4. What does Clamence talk about on the walk to the hotel?
5. In what way does Clamence compare Amsterdam to Dante's circles of hell?
6. What is Clamence's opinion on the Dutch?
7. What is the significance of Clamence calling himself Jean-Baptiste?
8. What is a Sadducee?
9. What do Clamence and his new companion represent?
10. Describe the Mexico City bar.
11. What was Clamence's role in Paris society?
12. What does Clamence show himself up to be in this chapter?
13. Why does Clamence say he strives to be selfless?
14. Why does Clamence say it is easier to be closer to a dead person?
15. Describe Clamence's experience on the Pont de Arts.
16. What is a deus ex machina?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)