|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Frances eats when her hunger strike is over?
2. When Mercedes remembers the incident at the river, what did she think Frances was bathing?
3. Who found the dead baby and tried to resuscitate him?
4. What is the name of the city where the Piper family lives?
5. What country is James stationed in during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What motivates James to join the army?
2. What is the reaction to Kathleen's talent when she arrives in New York City?
3. What is the result of Kathleen's photo shoot in the days after her first singing recital?
4. What makes James a good bootlegger?
5. How does baby Ambrose die?
6. What deal does Materia make with "the demon" to protect her second born daughter Mercedes?
7. What is the Mahmoud family's reaction to Kathleen's death?
8. What is the response to Kathleen's first public singing recital?
9. What terrible decision is Materia forced into when she helps her daughter Kathleen give birth to twins?
10. What is James's reaction to Ambrose's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are three male babies born in the novel, and each of them dies shortly after birth. First, describe the three male babies and explain how each of them died. What symbolism can be found in the repeated death of the male babies? Do you think it is a coincidence that all the male babies died, or something darker? Did any of the babies die under suspicious circumstances? Finally, theorize how life in the Piper family might have been different if just one of the male babies had survived. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her life, Frances has a strange relationship with Teresa Taylor, the Mahmoud's maid. First, describe how Frances and Teresa first met. Then, explain how Frances and Teresa's lives were intertwined without either of them ever knowing it. Do you think Teresa's presence in Frances's life was a blessing or a curse? Why? Finally, explain how Teresa and Frances finally amended their strange relationship in the hospital. What was the effect of these amends on each of their lives? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The idea of demons and devils is ever present in the novel. First, describe James's demon. Where did the demon come from? What does it tempt him to do? How does James try to overcome his demon's power? Then, compare / contrast James's demon to Frances's devil. Where does Frances believe her devil came from? What does it tempt her to do? What do you think the presence of demons and devils symbolizes in the Piper family history? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)