Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Leo Taylor when he is hired by James to drive Kathleen to and from school?
2. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes the keys while he is tuning the piano?
3. What shocking news does the theater owner make moments after Kathleen's performance?
4. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
5. What does Teresa Taylor give to Frances that infuriates Kathleen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is James's reaction to Ambrose's death?
2. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
3. How does Mumma die?
4. What story does Frances tell Lily that causes her to pass out in a cave?
5. What wakes Mercedes up in the middle of the night on the evening before Materia's death?
6. What is the response to Kathleen's first public singing recital?
7. Where does James get the money to start his new business upon returning home?
8. Who is Jeanne?
9. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
10. How does Kathleen treat her younger sisters when no one else is around?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the piano introduced in the first few chapters of the novel. Why was this object so important to James, and what did it symbolize in his life? Describe how the piano came from ruins in James's childhood home to ruins in Materia's married home. What effect did the piano have on Materia as a character and on her marriage to James? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Lily hears different stories about her brother Ambrose and the way he died. First, describe at least two stories that Frances tells Lily about Ambrose. Then, compare / contrast those stories to the truth of what really happened to Ambrose. What did Frances gain by lying to Lily about her brother? How did these stories affect Lily's character? Then, explain how Lily finally found out the truth about Ambrose, and what her reaction to that truth was. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
There are three male babies born in the novel, and each of them dies shortly after birth. First, describe the three male babies and explain how each of them died. What symbolism can be found in the repeated death of the male babies? Do you think it is a coincidence that all the male babies died, or something darker? Did any of the babies die under suspicious circumstances? Finally, theorize how life in the Piper family might have been different if just one of the male babies had survived. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)