|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Piper family's cat?
2. What thing could Kathleen do before she could talk?
3. What is significant about Daddy's hair in the photograph the narrator describes in the prologue?
4. What is James's secret to staying alive on the battlefield?
5. How does Kathleen's teacher in New York react to Kathleen's voice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James do for a living?
2. How does Kathleen react when Teresa Taylor, the Mahmoud's maid, pays the Piper family a visit?
3. What talent does Kathleen show as a baby, and what is James's reaction to this talent?
4. What is the reaction to Kathleen's talent when she arrives in New York City?
5. How does life in the Piper household change, once James is deployed?
6. What motivates James to join the army?
7. What is the Mahmoud family's reaction to Kathleen's death?
8. Who is put in charge of raising the family when Materia dies?
9. What is significant about Daddy's position in the armchair in the photograph of him described in the novel's prologue?
10. What film stars do the Piper girls idolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of demons and devils is ever present in the novel. First, describe James's demon. Where did the demon come from? What does it tempt him to do? How does James try to overcome his demon's power? Then, compare / contrast James's demon to Frances's devil. Where does Frances believe her devil came from? What does it tempt her to do? What do you think the presence of demons and devils symbolizes in the Piper family history? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her life, Frances has a strange relationship with Teresa Taylor, the Mahmoud's maid. First, describe how Frances and Teresa first met. Then, explain how Frances and Teresa's lives were intertwined without either of them ever knowing it. Do you think Teresa's presence in Frances's life was a blessing or a curse? Why? Finally, explain how Teresa and Frances finally amended their strange relationship in the hospital. What was the effect of these amends on each of their lives? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In school, Kathleen is clearly ostracized by her peers. First, describe the type of student Kathleen was in school. What were her strengths? What were her weaknesses? Then, describe, with specific examples, the way Kathleen was treated in school. Why do you think she was treated this way? Do you think she deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Finally, who, if anyone, is to blame for Kathleen's maltreatment in school? Kathleen herself? The students? Or someone else? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)