|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Materia's younger sister?
2. What is the name of Materia's fourth daughter, who only lives a few days before her death?
3. What does James allow his wife to do, which he had previously forbidden, thinking it will benefit their child?
4. How does James feel about his first-born child?
5. How many of Mrs. Lubovitz's sons are killed in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does life in the Piper household change, once James is deployed?
2. What talent does Kathleen show as a baby, and what is James's reaction to this talent?
3. What is James obsessed with during his deployment, and how does that fuel his future upon returning home?
4. What motivates James to join the army?
5. Where does James get the money to start his new business upon returning home?
6. What is the difference between Other Lily and baby Ambrose, both who died in infancy?
7. How does Kathleen react when Teresa Taylor, the Mahmoud's maid, pays the Piper family a visit?
8. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
9. What is James's reaction to the news that his wife Materia is dead?
10. How does Mumma die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Lily's upbringing, she hears lies regarding where she came from and why she is alive, particularly from her older sister Frances. First, describe the web of lies Frances and the rest of the family constructed regarding Lily's heritage. When does Lily begin to realize these stories are fabrications? What is her reaction to this unraveling of truth? Why do you think the Piper family felt it necessary to lie to Lily about her past? Were they trying to protect her, or did they have other, darker motivations in the lies? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen their arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Racism is large theme that is present in the novel. First, describe the overt racism that is present in the novel, citing at least two specific examples from the text. Then, choose one character from the Piper family and describe his or her personal relationship with racism. How did racism affect the person's external relationships with others and internal feelings with self? How does the racism present in the novel reflect the era in which the novel is set? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
There are three male babies born in the novel, and each of them dies shortly after birth. First, describe the three male babies and explain how each of them died. What symbolism can be found in the repeated death of the male babies? Do you think it is a coincidence that all the male babies died, or something darker? Did any of the babies die under suspicious circumstances? Finally, theorize how life in the Piper family might have been different if just one of the male babies had survived. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)