|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Leo Taylor when he is hired by James to drive Kathleen to and from school?
2. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes the keys while he is tuning the piano?
3. What shocking news does the theater owner make moments after Kathleen's performance?
4. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
5. What does Teresa Taylor give to Frances that infuriates Kathleen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is James's reaction to Ambrose's death?
2. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
3. How does Mumma die?
4. What story does Frances tell Lily that causes her to pass out in a cave?
5. What wakes Mercedes up in the middle of the night on the evening before Materia's death?
6. What is the response to Kathleen's first public singing recital?
7. Where does James get the money to start his new business upon returning home?
8. Who is Jeanne?
9. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
10. How does Kathleen treat her younger sisters when no one else is around?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Kathleen's relationship with New York City. How did this city change her as a person? In what ways did the city lead to Kathleen's sexual awakening? Then, describe Kathleen's relationships with both David and Rose, both of which took place in the city. How did each of these relationships affect Kathleen? How did these relationships eventually lead to Lily's journey to New York to discover her past? How does the city of New York inform, or enhance, the themes of Kathleen's sexuality? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Lily's upbringing, she hears lies regarding where she came from and why she is alive, particularly from her older sister Frances. First, describe the web of lies Frances and the rest of the family constructed regarding Lily's heritage. When does Lily begin to realize these stories are fabrications? What is her reaction to this unraveling of truth? Why do you think the Piper family felt it necessary to lie to Lily about her past? Were they trying to protect her, or did they have other, darker motivations in the lies? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen their arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mercedes' personal ambitions in life. What did she hope would happen to her when she was an adult? In what ways did she work toward those goals? Then, explain what happened to Mercedes when she was an adult. Did her dreams come to fruition? Why or why not? Finally, describe the sacrifice Materia made to ensure that Mercedes have a safe and bright future. In the end, do you think that sacrifice was worth it? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)