Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Leo Taylor when he is hired by James to drive Kathleen to and from school?
2. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes the keys while he is tuning the piano?
3. What shocking news does the theater owner make moments after Kathleen's performance?
4. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
5. What does Teresa Taylor give to Frances that infuriates Kathleen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is James's reaction to Ambrose's death?
2. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
3. How does Mumma die?
4. What story does Frances tell Lily that causes her to pass out in a cave?
5. What wakes Mercedes up in the middle of the night on the evening before Materia's death?
6. What is the response to Kathleen's first public singing recital?
7. Where does James get the money to start his new business upon returning home?
8. Who is Jeanne?
9. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
10. How does Kathleen treat her younger sisters when no one else is around?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the event of Frances baptizing the twins down by the river. Throughout the novel, the events are told from Frances, Mercedes, and James's perspectives. How do these perspectives of events differ? How are they same? What is gained is experiencing the events through three different perspectives? What is lost? Why do you think MacDonald chose to rewrite these events three times? What message is she trying to send about this event and its effects on the family? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Frances's relationship with her Uncle Jameel and cousin Boutros. How do each of these men feel about Frances? In what ways does Uncle Jameel's treatment of Frances parallel James's treatment of Frances? How do each of these men affect Frances's sexual awakening? Which man do you think has a larger impact on Frances's sexuality? Why? Finally, describe Boutros's relationship with Frances. In what ways is his treatment of Frances different than anyone else's? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
There are three male babies born in the novel, and each of them dies shortly after birth. First, describe the three male babies and explain how each of them died. What symbolism can be found in the repeated death of the male babies? Do you think it is a coincidence that all the male babies died, or something darker? Did any of the babies die under suspicious circumstances? Finally, theorize how life in the Piper family might have been different if just one of the male babies had survived. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)