|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides English, what other language does Materia speak at home?
2. Which of the following characters wake up the morning after Kathleen's death with blood in her slippers?
3. In what room of the house did Mumma die?
4. What is the name of the Piper family's cat?
5. On which holiday did James and Materia agree to meet in secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal does Materia make with "the demon" to protect her second born daughter Mercedes?
2. What did Mercedes think was happening when she watched the incident at the creek?
3. Who is Mrs. Luvovitz?
4. What is the difference between Other Lily and baby Ambrose, both who died in infancy?
5. How does Kathleen treat her younger sisters when no one else is around?
6. What is the reaction of Materia's parents to her marriage?
7. What nightmare does Lily have after hearing about Ambrose's death?
8. What wakes Mercedes up in the middle of the night on the evening before Materia's death?
9. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
10. What is the result of Kathleen's photo shoot in the days after her first singing recital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Kathleen's relationship with New York City. How did this city change her as a person? In what ways did the city lead to Kathleen's sexual awakening? Then, describe Kathleen's relationships with both David and Rose, both of which took place in the city. How did each of these relationships affect Kathleen? How did these relationships eventually lead to Lily's journey to New York to discover her past? How does the city of New York inform, or enhance, the themes of Kathleen's sexuality? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
There are three male babies born in the novel, and each of them dies shortly after birth. First, describe the three male babies and explain how each of them died. What symbolism can be found in the repeated death of the male babies? Do you think it is a coincidence that all the male babies died, or something darker? Did any of the babies die under suspicious circumstances? Finally, theorize how life in the Piper family might have been different if just one of the male babies had survived. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Lily hears different stories about her brother Ambrose and the way he died. First, describe at least two stories that Frances tells Lily about Ambrose. Then, compare / contrast those stories to the truth of what really happened to Ambrose. What did Frances gain by lying to Lily about her brother? How did these stories affect Lily's character? Then, explain how Lily finally found out the truth about Ambrose, and what her reaction to that truth was. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)