|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Kathleen's family members is the strongest supporter of her musical talent?
2. Why did Frances bring the new baby down to the river where he died?
3. Who names the new baby Ambrose?
4. Which of the following did Mumma die from?
5. What is strange about James's reaction to Kathleen striking the piano keys?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
2. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
3. Who is put in charge of raising the family when Materia dies?
4. What is the response to Kathleen's first public singing recital?
5. What wakes Mercedes up in the middle of the night on the evening before Materia's death?
6. What did Mercedes think was happening when she watched the incident at the creek?
7. What is James's reaction to Ambrose's death?
8. How does Materia respond to her first pregnancy?
9. What is James's job in battle, and how does he manage to survive?
10. How does Kathleen treat her younger sisters when no one else is around?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the piano introduced in the first few chapters of the novel. Why was this object so important to James, and what did it symbolize in his life? Describe how the piano came from ruins in James's childhood home to ruins in Materia's married home. What effect did the piano have on Materia as a character and on her marriage to James? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his fatherhood, James has worked a variety of jobs to support his family. First, create a time line of James's employment throughout the novel. Which jobs did he most enjoy? Which did he least enjoy? What traits about each of the jobs make them similar? Then, explain how these jobs help to characterize James not only as a man but as a father? What symbolism can be found in James's line of work? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In school, Kathleen is clearly ostracized by her peers. First, describe the type of student Kathleen was in school. What were her strengths? What were her weaknesses? Then, describe, with specific examples, the way Kathleen was treated in school. Why do you think she was treated this way? Do you think she deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Finally, who, if anyone, is to blame for Kathleen's maltreatment in school? Kathleen herself? The students? Or someone else? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)