|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mercedes isn't taking care of the house, what does she like to do in her free time?
2. What did Materia's mother read to tell James's fortune?
3. What does James do when he visits Kathleen's graveside?
4. Who does Mercedes think visited her in the night, pressing dark fingerprints onto her forehead?
5. What is the name of the street the Piper family lives on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does James adjust to life at home with Kathleen living in New York?
2. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
3. What is the difference between Other Lily and baby Ambrose, both who died in infancy?
4. What does Mercedes say one could use as rosary beads in case a proper rosary wasn't available?
5. Who is Mrs. Luvovitz?
6. What nightmare does Lily have after hearing about Ambrose's death?
7. What is James's job in battle, and how does he manage to survive?
8. What does James do for a living?
9. What talent does Kathleen show as a baby, and what is James's reaction to this talent?
10. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his fatherhood, James has worked a variety of jobs to support his family. First, create a time line of James's employment throughout the novel. Which jobs did he most enjoy? Which did he least enjoy? What traits about each of the jobs make them similar? Then, explain how these jobs help to characterize James not only as a man but as a father? What symbolism can be found in James's line of work? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her life, Kathleen has nightmares about Pete the scarecrow. Describe at least two nightmares Kathleen has, and her reaction to these dreams. What do you think Pete symbolized in Kathleen's life? Describe the final nightmare Kathleen had about Pete, in the moments before she died. What is symbolic about this vision? In the moment of her death, do you think Kathleen finally understood what Pete the scarecrow meant? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the event of Frances baptizing the twins down by the river. Throughout the novel, the events are told from Frances, Mercedes, and James's perspectives. How do these perspectives of events differ? How are they same? What is gained is experiencing the events through three different perspectives? What is lost? Why do you think MacDonald chose to rewrite these events three times? What message is she trying to send about this event and its effects on the family? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)