|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Frye family say their daughter can no longer play with Mercedes?
2. What is the name of the city where the Piper family lives?
3. What job did James work to help pay for Kathleen's boarding school fees?
4. Where does James hope to send Kathleen to school when he returns home from the war?
5. How many of Mrs. Lubovitz's sons are killed in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What motivates James to join the army?
2. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
3. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
4. Who is Mrs. Luvovitz?
5. What is the response to Kathleen's first public singing recital?
6. How does James adjust to life at home with Kathleen living in New York?
7. How does Kathleen treat her younger sisters when no one else is around?
8. How does baby Ambrose die?
9. What is significant about Daddy's position in the armchair in the photograph of him described in the novel's prologue?
10. What film stars do the Piper girls idolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many scenes throughout the novel in which characters bathe each other. Choose at least two of these scenes and describe them here. What symbolism might be found in these scenes of bathing? Does the bathing seem appropriate or inappropriate given the familial relationships? Why? In what ways do the scenes of bathing parallel the family's obsession with religion? Do you think this bathing helps or harms the family? Why? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her life, Frances has a strange relationship with Teresa Taylor, the Mahmoud's maid. First, describe how Frances and Teresa first met. Then, explain how Frances and Teresa's lives were intertwined without either of them ever knowing it. Do you think Teresa's presence in Frances's life was a blessing or a curse? Why? Finally, explain how Teresa and Frances finally amended their strange relationship in the hospital. What was the effect of these amends on each of their lives? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Both Materia and Mercedes have a strong Catholic faith. First, describe Materia's religious beliefs and how she passed them on to her daughter. Then, describe Mercedes' religious beliefs. In what ways does religion affect Mercedes' daily life? Which relationship do you think is most affected by Mercedes' religious beliefs? What troubles arise due to Mercedes' zeal? Finally, explain whether or not you believe religion has a positive or negative impact on the Piper family, and why. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)