|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does James sell his barrels of bootleg liquor?
2. Which regiment does James join when he is shipped out to war?
3. What religion does Materia follow?
4. What is the name of the city where the Piper family lives?
5. What is the gender of Kathleen's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does life in the Piper household change, once James is deployed?
2. What is the reaction of Materia's parents to her marriage?
3. How does Kathleen treat her younger sisters when no one else is around?
4. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
5. How does Boutros die?
6. What is James's reaction to the news that his wife Materia is dead?
7. How does baby Ambrose die?
8. What is the difference between Other Lily and baby Ambrose, both who died in infancy?
9. How does Lily believe Frances was impregnated?
10. What does Mercedes say one could use as rosary beads in case a proper rosary wasn't available?
Essay Topic 1
In school, Kathleen is clearly ostracized by her peers. First, describe the type of student Kathleen was in school. What were her strengths? What were her weaknesses? Then, describe, with specific examples, the way Kathleen was treated in school. Why do you think she was treated this way? Do you think she deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Finally, who, if anyone, is to blame for Kathleen's maltreatment in school? Kathleen herself? The students? Or someone else? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the piano introduced in the first few chapters of the novel. Why was this object so important to James, and what did it symbolize in his life? Describe how the piano came from ruins in James's childhood home to ruins in Materia's married home. What effect did the piano have on Materia as a character and on her marriage to James? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Racism is large theme that is present in the novel. First, describe the overt racism that is present in the novel, citing at least two specific examples from the text. Then, choose one character from the Piper family and describe his or her personal relationship with racism. How did racism affect the person's external relationships with others and internal feelings with self? How does the racism present in the novel reflect the era in which the novel is set? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 2,649 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)