|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following figures haunt Kathleen in her nightmares?
2. How old was James when his father moved out?
3. In what year is Materia's first child born?
4. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes the keys while he is tuning the piano?
5. Whom does Lily confide in when her terrible nightmares about Ambrose continue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between Other Lily and baby Ambrose, both who died in infancy?
2. What is James's reaction to the news that his wife Materia is dead?
3. Why does Materia feel guilty about her expectations for James's future in the army?
4. What is James's reaction to Ambrose's death?
5. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
6. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
7. What is James's job in battle, and how does he manage to survive?
8. What is James's reaction when he realizes that someone has moved the stones around Ambrose's grave?
9. What did Mercedes think was happening when she watched the incident at the creek?
10. How does James adjust to life at home with Kathleen living in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her life, Kathleen has nightmares about Pete the scarecrow. Describe at least two nightmares Kathleen has, and her reaction to these dreams. What do you think Pete symbolized in Kathleen's life? Describe the final nightmare Kathleen had about Pete, in the moments before she died. What is symbolic about this vision? In the moment of her death, do you think Kathleen finally understood what Pete the scarecrow meant? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In school, Kathleen is clearly ostracized by her peers. First, describe the type of student Kathleen was in school. What were her strengths? What were her weaknesses? Then, describe, with specific examples, the way Kathleen was treated in school. Why do you think she was treated this way? Do you think she deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Finally, who, if anyone, is to blame for Kathleen's maltreatment in school? Kathleen herself? The students? Or someone else? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
There are many scenes throughout the novel in which characters bathe each other. Choose at least two of these scenes and describe them here. What symbolism might be found in these scenes of bathing? Does the bathing seem appropriate or inappropriate given the familial relationships? Why? In what ways do the scenes of bathing parallel the family's obsession with religion? Do you think this bathing helps or harms the family? Why? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)