|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who found the dead baby and tried to resuscitate him?
2. What type of man does Kathleen want to marry when she grows up?
3. What does Mrs. Luvovitz sell by the roadside?
4. Whom does Lily confide in when her terrible nightmares about Ambrose continue?
5. When Mercedes walks out into the yard after Kathleen's death, what is missing from the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
2. What nightmare does Lily have after hearing about Ambrose's death?
3. What is significant about Daddy's position in the armchair in the photograph of him described in the novel's prologue?
4. What is the response to Kathleen's first public singing recital?
5. What is James's job in battle, and how does he manage to survive?
6. Who is put in charge of raising the family when Materia dies?
7. What is James's reaction to Ambrose's death?
8. How does Materia respond to her first pregnancy?
9. Why does Materia feel guilty about her expectations for James's future in the army?
10. What is James's reaction when he realizes that someone has moved the stones around Ambrose's grave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Materia's relationship with music as she grows up, particularly during the time of her marriage to James. What did music symbolize for Materia? During what times was Materia allowed to express herself through music? Then, compare / contrast Materia's life when she was allowed access to music with the times she was not allowed access to music. What aspects of Materia's life changed without music? What does this tell you about Materia as a character, and about the various relationships in her life? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In school, Kathleen is clearly ostracized by her peers. First, describe the type of student Kathleen was in school. What were her strengths? What were her weaknesses? Then, describe, with specific examples, the way Kathleen was treated in school. Why do you think she was treated this way? Do you think she deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Finally, who, if anyone, is to blame for Kathleen's maltreatment in school? Kathleen herself? The students? Or someone else? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Both Materia and Mercedes have a strong Catholic faith. First, describe Materia's religious beliefs and how she passed them on to her daughter. Then, describe Mercedes' religious beliefs. In what ways does religion affect Mercedes' daily life? Which relationship do you think is most affected by Mercedes' religious beliefs? What troubles arise due to Mercedes' zeal? Finally, explain whether or not you believe religion has a positive or negative impact on the Piper family, and why. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)