|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Materia's mother read to tell James's fortune?
2. How does Kathleen react when her father is deployed overseas?
3. What type of man does Kathleen want to marry when she grows up?
4. Which of the following did Mumma die from?
5. What is the first sentence of the novel, "Fall on Your Knees"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does baby Ambrose die?
2. What happens to Francess' baby shortly after its birth?
3. What is the result of Kathleen's photo shoot in the days after her first singing recital?
4. What is James obsessed with during his deployment, and how does that fuel his future upon returning home?
5. What makes James a good bootlegger?
6. Who is Mrs. Luvovitz?
7. What terrible decision is Materia forced into when she helps her daughter Kathleen give birth to twins?
8. What happens to Mercedes after her high school graduation?
9. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
10. What is the Mahmoud family's reaction to Kathleen's death?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her life, Frances has a strange relationship with Teresa Taylor, the Mahmoud's maid. First, describe how Frances and Teresa first met. Then, explain how Frances and Teresa's lives were intertwined without either of them ever knowing it. Do you think Teresa's presence in Frances's life was a blessing or a curse? Why? Finally, explain how Teresa and Frances finally amended their strange relationship in the hospital. What was the effect of these amends on each of their lives? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Frances's relationship with her Uncle Jameel and cousin Boutros. How do each of these men feel about Frances? In what ways does Uncle Jameel's treatment of Frances parallel James's treatment of Frances? How do each of these men affect Frances's sexual awakening? Which man do you think has a larger impact on Frances's sexuality? Why? Finally, describe Boutros's relationship with Frances. In what ways is his treatment of Frances different than anyone else's? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Kathleen's relationship with New York City. How did this city change her as a person? In what ways did the city lead to Kathleen's sexual awakening? Then, describe Kathleen's relationships with both David and Rose, both of which took place in the city. How did each of these relationships affect Kathleen? How did these relationships eventually lead to Lily's journey to New York to discover her past? How does the city of New York inform, or enhance, the themes of Kathleen's sexuality? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 2,719 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)