|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Mumma die from?
2. What did Materia's mother read to tell James's fortune?
3. What does Teresa Taylor give to Frances that infuriates Kathleen?
4. What was Materia's reaction to Kathleen's death?
5. What war does James fight in before returning home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What talent does Kathleen show as a baby, and what is James's reaction to this talent?
2. Why does Materia feel guilty about her expectations for James's future in the army?
3. Where does James get the money to start his new business upon returning home?
4. What is James's reaction when he realizes that someone has moved the stones around Ambrose's grave?
5. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
6. How does life in the Piper household change, once James is deployed?
7. What is the result of Kathleen's photo shoot in the days after her first singing recital?
8. What is James obsessed with during his deployment, and how does that fuel his future upon returning home?
9. How does James adjust to life at home with Kathleen living in New York?
10. What is the reaction to Kathleen's talent when she arrives in New York City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mercedes' personal ambitions in life. What did she hope would happen to her when she was an adult? In what ways did she work toward those goals? Then, explain what happened to Mercedes when she was an adult. Did her dreams come to fruition? Why or why not? Finally, describe the sacrifice Materia made to ensure that Mercedes have a safe and bright future. In the end, do you think that sacrifice was worth it? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Materia's relationship with music as she grows up, particularly during the time of her marriage to James. What did music symbolize for Materia? During what times was Materia allowed to express herself through music? Then, compare / contrast Materia's life when she was allowed access to music with the times she was not allowed access to music. What aspects of Materia's life changed without music? What does this tell you about Materia as a character, and about the various relationships in her life? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Kathleen's relationship with New York City. How did this city change her as a person? In what ways did the city lead to Kathleen's sexual awakening? Then, describe Kathleen's relationships with both David and Rose, both of which took place in the city. How did each of these relationships affect Kathleen? How did these relationships eventually lead to Lily's journey to New York to discover her past? How does the city of New York inform, or enhance, the themes of Kathleen's sexuality? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)