|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Frances bring the new baby down to the river where he died?
2. Whose photograph does James want to take with him to war?
3. After Kathleen was born, where did Materia find work as a piano player?
4. How does James feel about his first-born child?
5. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mercedes say one could use as rosary beads in case a proper rosary wasn't available?
2. Who is put in charge of raising the family when Materia dies?
3. Why does Materia feel guilty about her expectations for James's future in the army?
4. What is James's reaction to Ambrose's death?
5. How does James adjust to life at home with Kathleen living in New York?
6. What is the reaction of Materia's parents to her marriage?
7. What makes James a good bootlegger?
8. Where does James get the money to start his new business upon returning home?
9. What is James's job in battle, and how does he manage to survive?
10. What story does Frances tell Lily about the christening gown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Frances's relationship with her Uncle Jameel and cousin Boutros. How do each of these men feel about Frances? In what ways does Uncle Jameel's treatment of Frances parallel James's treatment of Frances? How do each of these men affect Frances's sexual awakening? Which man do you think has a larger impact on Frances's sexuality? Why? Finally, describe Boutros's relationship with Frances. In what ways is his treatment of Frances different than anyone else's? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Lily hears different stories about her brother Ambrose and the way he died. First, describe at least two stories that Frances tells Lily about Ambrose. Then, compare / contrast those stories to the truth of what really happened to Ambrose. What did Frances gain by lying to Lily about her brother? How did these stories affect Lily's character? Then, explain how Lily finally found out the truth about Ambrose, and what her reaction to that truth was. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her life, Frances has a strange relationship with Teresa Taylor, the Mahmoud's maid. First, describe how Frances and Teresa first met. Then, explain how Frances and Teresa's lives were intertwined without either of them ever knowing it. Do you think Teresa's presence in Frances's life was a blessing or a curse? Why? Finally, explain how Teresa and Frances finally amended their strange relationship in the hospital. What was the effect of these amends on each of their lives? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)