|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following medals does James receive when he is discharged from duty?
2. Who teaches Frances how to read?
3. What is the gender of Kathleen's baby?
4. What is the first sentence of the novel, "Fall on Your Knees"?
5. Why doesn't Kathleen mind that she has no friends in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What nightmare does Lily have after hearing about Ambrose's death?
2. Where does James get the money to start his new business upon returning home?
3. How does Mumma die?
4. How does James adjust to life at home with Kathleen living in New York?
5. How does life in the Piper household change, once James is deployed?
6. What is James's reaction when he realizes that someone has moved the stones around Ambrose's grave?
7. What is James obsessed with during his deployment, and how does that fuel his future upon returning home?
8. What is James's reaction to the news that his wife Materia is dead?
9. What deal does Materia make with "the demon" to protect her second born daughter Mercedes?
10. What is significant about Daddy's position in the armchair in the photograph of him described in the novel's prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the piano introduced in the first few chapters of the novel. Why was this object so important to James, and what did it symbolize in his life? Describe how the piano came from ruins in James's childhood home to ruins in Materia's married home. What effect did the piano have on Materia as a character and on her marriage to James? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
One major theme of the novel is the parallels between the daughters' sexual awakenings. Choose two of the Piper daughters and describe their sexual awakenings. How old were they when they had their sexual awakenings? Did these experiences have a positive or negative effect on their lives? How did these awakenings come about? Then, explain what message you think MacDonald is sending to the reader about the sexual awakening of young girls. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
There are three male babies born in the novel, and each of them dies shortly after birth. First, describe the three male babies and explain how each of them died. What symbolism can be found in the repeated death of the male babies? Do you think it is a coincidence that all the male babies died, or something darker? Did any of the babies die under suspicious circumstances? Finally, theorize how life in the Piper family might have been different if just one of the male babies had survived. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)