|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does James sell his barrels of bootleg liquor?
2. How old is Leo Taylor when he is hired by James to drive Kathleen to and from school?
3. What is the name of the street the Piper family lives on?
4. When her father is gone, how does Kathleen treat her younger sisters?
5. What does Mercedes do in the hopes of repairing her family's name in the community?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Frances tell Lily about the christening gown?
2. What motivates James to join the army?
3. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
4. What does James do for a living?
5. What did Mercedes think was happening when she watched the incident at the creek?
6. What terrible decision is Materia forced into when she helps her daughter Kathleen give birth to twins?
7. What deal does Materia make with "the demon" to protect her second born daughter Mercedes?
8. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
9. What is James's reaction to the news that his wife Materia is dead?
10. What is the response to Kathleen's first public singing recital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his fatherhood, James has worked a variety of jobs to support his family. First, create a time line of James's employment throughout the novel. Which jobs did he most enjoy? Which did he least enjoy? What traits about each of the jobs make them similar? Then, explain how these jobs help to characterize James not only as a man but as a father? What symbolism can be found in James's line of work? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of demons and devils is ever present in the novel. First, describe James's demon. Where did the demon come from? What does it tempt him to do? How does James try to overcome his demon's power? Then, compare / contrast James's demon to Frances's devil. Where does Frances believe her devil came from? What does it tempt her to do? What do you think the presence of demons and devils symbolizes in the Piper family history? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Both Materia and Mercedes have a strong Catholic faith. First, describe Materia's religious beliefs and how she passed them on to her daughter. Then, describe Mercedes' religious beliefs. In what ways does religion affect Mercedes' daily life? Which relationship do you think is most affected by Mercedes' religious beliefs? What troubles arise due to Mercedes' zeal? Finally, explain whether or not you believe religion has a positive or negative impact on the Piper family, and why. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)