|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides English, what other language does Materia speak at home?
2. Why doesn't Kathleen mind that she has no friends in school?
3. What shocking news does the theater owner make moments after Kathleen's performance?
4. What is the first thing Frances eats when her hunger strike is over?
5. What is the name of the school Kathleen was enrolled in as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal does Materia make with "the demon" to protect her second born daughter Mercedes?
2. What story does Frances tell Lily about the christening gown?
3. What motivates James to join the army?
4. Who is put in charge of raising the family when Materia dies?
5. What is James obsessed with during his deployment, and how does that fuel his future upon returning home?
6. How does Kathleen react when Teresa Taylor, the Mahmoud's maid, pays the Piper family a visit?
7. What does James do for a living?
8. How does Mumma die?
9. What makes James a good bootlegger?
10. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the event of Frances baptizing the twins down by the river. Throughout the novel, the events are told from Frances, Mercedes, and James's perspectives. How do these perspectives of events differ? How are they same? What is gained is experiencing the events through three different perspectives? What is lost? Why do you think MacDonald chose to rewrite these events three times? What message is she trying to send about this event and its effects on the family? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
There are many scenes throughout the novel in which characters bathe each other. Choose at least two of these scenes and describe them here. What symbolism might be found in these scenes of bathing? Does the bathing seem appropriate or inappropriate given the familial relationships? Why? In what ways do the scenes of bathing parallel the family's obsession with religion? Do you think this bathing helps or harms the family? Why? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
There are three male babies born in the novel, and each of them dies shortly after birth. First, describe the three male babies and explain how each of them died. What symbolism can be found in the repeated death of the male babies? Do you think it is a coincidence that all the male babies died, or something darker? Did any of the babies die under suspicious circumstances? Finally, theorize how life in the Piper family might have been different if just one of the male babies had survived. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)