Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Leo Taylor when he is hired by James to drive Kathleen to and from school?
2. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes the keys while he is tuning the piano?
3. What shocking news does the theater owner make moments after Kathleen's performance?
4. Who is the narrator of the novel when the reader learns about Materia's funeral?
5. What does Teresa Taylor give to Frances that infuriates Kathleen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is James's reaction to Ambrose's death?
2. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
3. How does Mumma die?
4. What story does Frances tell Lily that causes her to pass out in a cave?
5. What wakes Mercedes up in the middle of the night on the evening before Materia's death?
6. What is the response to Kathleen's first public singing recital?
7. Where does James get the money to start his new business upon returning home?
8. Who is Jeanne?
9. What job does Materia get to help pay for Kathleen's private education?
10. How does Kathleen treat her younger sisters when no one else is around?
There are many scenes throughout the novel in which characters bathe each other. Choose at least two of these scenes and describe them here. What symbolism might be found in these scenes of bathing? Does the bathing seem appropriate or inappropriate given the familial relationships? Why? In what ways do the scenes of bathing parallel the family's obsession with religion? Do you think this bathing helps or harms the family? Why? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
The idea of demons and devils is ever present in the novel. First, describe James's demon. Where did the demon come from? What does it tempt him to do? How does James try to overcome his demon's power? Then, compare / contrast James's demon to Frances's devil. Where does Frances believe her devil came from? What does it tempt her to do? What do you think the presence of demons and devils symbolizes in the Piper family history? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Both Materia and Mercedes have a strong Catholic faith. First, describe Materia's religious beliefs and how she passed them on to her daughter. Then, describe Mercedes' religious beliefs. In what ways does religion affect Mercedes' daily life? Which relationship do you think is most affected by Mercedes' religious beliefs? What troubles arise due to Mercedes' zeal? Finally, explain whether or not you believe religion has a positive or negative impact on the Piper family, and why. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)