|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Frye family say their daughter can no longer play with Mercedes?
2. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
3. Which regiment does James join when he is shipped out to war?
4. What rushes from Ambrose's mouth during Lily's nightmares?
5. Which of the following did Mumma die from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does life in the Piper household change, once James is deployed?
2. What motivates James to join the army?
3. What makes James a good bootlegger?
4. Who is put in charge of raising the family when Materia dies?
5. What is the reaction of Materia's parents to her marriage?
6. What film stars do the Piper girls idolize?
7. What is James's reaction to Ambrose's death?
8. How does Kathleen react when Teresa Taylor, the Mahmoud's maid, pays the Piper family a visit?
9. What is the Mahmoud family's reaction to Kathleen's death?
10. Where does James get the money to start his new business upon returning home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the event of Frances baptizing the twins down by the river. Throughout the novel, the events are told from Frances, Mercedes, and James's perspectives. How do these perspectives of events differ? How are they same? What is gained is experiencing the events through three different perspectives? What is lost? Why do you think MacDonald chose to rewrite these events three times? What message is she trying to send about this event and its effects on the family? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of demons and devils is ever present in the novel. First, describe James's demon. Where did the demon come from? What does it tempt him to do? How does James try to overcome his demon's power? Then, compare / contrast James's demon to Frances's devil. Where does Frances believe her devil came from? What does it tempt her to do? What do you think the presence of demons and devils symbolizes in the Piper family history? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In school, Kathleen is clearly ostracized by her peers. First, describe the type of student Kathleen was in school. What were her strengths? What were her weaknesses? Then, describe, with specific examples, the way Kathleen was treated in school. Why do you think she was treated this way? Do you think she deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Finally, who, if anyone, is to blame for Kathleen's maltreatment in school? Kathleen herself? The students? Or someone else? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)