|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Kathleen's labor difficult?
2. What is the name of Materia's second born daughter?
3. Why doesn't Kathleen mind that she has no friends in school?
4. Whom does Lily confide in when her terrible nightmares about Ambrose continue?
5. What is the name of Lily's favorite movie star, whom she is teased mercilessly for admiring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the last thing Kathleen sees before she dies?
2. How does James adjust to life at home with Kathleen living in New York?
3. How does Kathleen treat her younger sisters when no one else is around?
4. What is the Mahmoud family's reaction to Kathleen's death?
5. How does Mumma die?
6. How does baby Ambrose die?
7. What is James's job in battle, and how does he manage to survive?
8. What did Mercedes think was happening when she watched the incident at the creek?
9. What story does Frances tell Lily about the christening gown?
10. How does James react when Kathleen sneaks up behind him and strikes a chord while his is tuning a piano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Racism is large theme that is present in the novel. First, describe the overt racism that is present in the novel, citing at least two specific examples from the text. Then, choose one character from the Piper family and describe his or her personal relationship with racism. How did racism affect the person's external relationships with others and internal feelings with self? How does the racism present in the novel reflect the era in which the novel is set? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of demons and devils is ever present in the novel. First, describe James's demon. Where did the demon come from? What does it tempt him to do? How does James try to overcome his demon's power? Then, compare / contrast James's demon to Frances's devil. Where does Frances believe her devil came from? What does it tempt her to do? What do you think the presence of demons and devils symbolizes in the Piper family history? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Frances's relationship with her Uncle Jameel and cousin Boutros. How do each of these men feel about Frances? In what ways does Uncle Jameel's treatment of Frances parallel James's treatment of Frances? How do each of these men affect Frances's sexual awakening? Which man do you think has a larger impact on Frances's sexuality? Why? Finally, describe Boutros's relationship with Frances. In what ways is his treatment of Frances different than anyone else's? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)