|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The Garden, Chapters 16-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Materia's fourth daughter, who only lives a few days before her death?
2. What is significant about Daddy's hair in the photograph the narrator describes in the prologue?
(a) It has grown in patchy in parts and bald in others.
(b) It is shaved.
(c) It is braided.
(d) It is bleached blonde.
3. What is James's secret to staying alive on the battlefield?
(a) His desperate desire to return home to family.
(b) His apathy about life and death.
(c) His strong belief in fate.
(d) His prayers every morning and night.
4. After Kathleen was born, where did Materia find work as a piano player?
(a) At the Baptist church.
(b) At the elementary school.
(c) At a nearby French restaurant.
(d) At the Empire Theatre.
5. Which North American city is Materia desperate to move to after her marriage?
(a) San Francisco.
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What war does James fight in before returning home?
2. Who acts as the go-between for Materia and her mother during the time she and her family live in Sydney?
3. What is the first sentence of the novel, "Fall on Your Knees"?
4. What type of town is the town where the Piper family lives?
5. What type of man does Kathleen want to marry when she grows up?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)