|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Along with the dowry from his wife, what helps Cicero maintain his modest lifestyle?
2. How many months is it before Cicero is asked to return to Rome?
3. What does Terentia, Cicero's wife, do to cause their divorce?
4. How is Pompey's father, Strabo, generally considered?
5. Who argues against the death penalty for the conspirators who plan to kill the senators?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Caesar do to build support for himself as a Roman leader after he returns from Gaul, and why is the timing significant?
2. What leads to the civil war between Caesar and Pompey?
3. How do the differences between Caesar and Pompey lead to Caesar becoming the dictator of Rome, and what does he do with the position?
4. How does Caesar die and why has the event become so famous?
5. What kind of reputation does Pompey have with regard to the way he treats enemy soldiers?
6. Why does Cicero leave Rome after he draws the ire of Clodius, and how does he return?
7. What is the dilemma Cicero faces upon discovering the plan by Catiline's forces that remain in Rome?
8. How does Cicero die and how is he remembered?
9. How do the people show their support for Caesar when he enters politics and what does Cato do to try to lessen Caesar's popularity at that time?
10. What is it about Caesar's actions that cause him to lose support from the people, and how does he become a dictator for life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marius displays his constant resolve in a variety of different ways throughout his life.
1) Explain how Marius loses two political battles in one day, and why the way he handles each of them is important.
2) Describe the way Marius views his involvement in the wars that he fights, how he chooses to train himself and his troops, and explain the origin of the saying, "one of Marius's mules."
3) Describe at least two other examples of how Marius shows his resolve or the inability to accept defeat, and why that is a significant part of his life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the period where the political careers of Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus all intersected, the reasons for it, which ones were the most influential, and the effect it had on each of the three.
Essay Topic 3
Pompey is mainly known for his military career, but he also entered the political arena. Analyze both his military and political experiences, how they contrasted each other, and which one had the most impact on Rome. Also, include a detailed explanation of why Pompey was so highly regarded for the way he handled himself during the military battles he was involved with.
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)