|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sulla think Pompey has done with regard to his enemy, Lepidus?
2. How many men does Caesar have when he returns to free Cicero from the siege of a Gaul uprising?
3. Where is Caesar betrayed and murdered?
4. What does Pompey do after defeating the revolt, led by Brutus?
5. What happens to Catiline after Cicero uncovers his plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the rivalry between Cicero and Clodius begin?
2. What leads to the civil war between Caesar and Pompey?
3. What age is Pompey when he does battle with Caesar and what happens when the two first meet?
4. What does Caesar do to build support for himself as a Roman leader after he returns from Gaul, and why is the timing significant?
5. How does Plutarch feel about Caesar's military accomplishments and why?
6. How does Caesar avoid death in his youth, and what do his dealings with the pirates display?
7. What does Cicero's name mean, why was he given it, and how does his response to it indicate his sense of humor?
8. How does Caesar die and why has the event become so famous?
9. Why does Cicero retire from public life, and what do his plans include at this point in his life?
10. What is Cicero's educational background and how does it contribute to the decisions made early in his career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marius displays his constant resolve in a variety of different ways throughout his life.
1) Explain how Marius loses two political battles in one day, and why the way he handles each of them is important.
2) Describe the way Marius views his involvement in the wars that he fights, how he chooses to train himself and his troops, and explain the origin of the saying, "one of Marius's mules."
3) Describe at least two other examples of how Marius shows his resolve or the inability to accept defeat, and why that is a significant part of his life.
Essay Topic 2
Cicero makes an important decision while serving his office that has an unintended effect on his status in Rome.
1) Analyze the decision Cicero has to make concerning the death penalty for Catiline's men who remain in Rome and are planning to destroy the city. Explain both sides of the issue, why Cicero is hesitant to make the decision, and what factors he considers.
2) Describe the political fallout from Cicero's decision, his feud with Clodius, and how the decision is used against Cicero to cause his departure from Rome.
3) Explain the events that take place while Cicero is away from Rome and what ultimately causes his return.
Essay Topic 3
During the Roman Empire, marriage was used as a way to exercise control over people and situations and was looked at much differently than it is today. Write an essay describing the way the Romans, and the leaders in particular, saw marriage, and how it differs from current times. Provide examples of the way marriage was used for political purposes in the book, how each of the leaders viewed it, and why there were so many different marriages within a short period.
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)