|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some people fear after appointing Caesar the dictator of Rome for life?
2. Along with the dowry from his wife, what helps Cicero maintain his modest lifestyle?
3. Why does Caesar divorce his second wife?
4. Whose dream warns Caesar of his fate?
5. What does Caesar do when his generals fear attacking the Germans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cicero approach young Caesar when he arrives in Rome, and what happens to cause the two to be on opposite sides?
2. How does Plutarch feel about Caesar's military accomplishments and why?
3. Why does Cicero retire from public life, and what do his plans include at this point in his life?
4. What is the dilemma Cicero faces upon discovering the plan by Catiline's forces that remain in Rome?
5. What is Cicero's educational background and how does it contribute to the decisions made early in his career?
6. What part does Pompey play in the war in Africa, how does he want to be celebrated for it, and why is he given the name, "The Great"?
7. What kind of reputation does Pompey have with regard to the way he treats enemy soldiers?
8. How do the differences between Caesar and Pompey lead to Caesar becoming the dictator of Rome, and what does he do with the position?
9. What does Caesar do to build support for himself as a Roman leader after he returns from Gaul, and why is the timing significant?
10. What is it about Caesar's actions that cause him to lose support from the people, and how does he become a dictator for life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Omens played a big part of the way Romans lived their lives and made their decisions.
1) Using each of the six figures for which Plutarch provides a biography, describe the different omens that they encounter and the way that they choose to react to them.
2) Analyze the differences or similarities between how the Roman leaders responded to omens during their lives, and the results of their regard for them.
3) Explain what you think the significance of omens were in general to the Roman Republic and the people who lived during that time.
Essay Topic 2
Caesar's political career was hugely successful as he became appointed a dictator for life by the Roman people.
1) Compare Caesar's approach to politics and the offices he held with others who came before him, particularly Sulla, who had a distinctly different view of the people.
2) Describe the key events that caused Caesar to become so popular among the people, how his decisions and actions contributed to the popularity, and why the people connected with him in that way.
3) Analyze Caesar's political accomplishments and the situations that led him to become consul and then dictator. Also, include a description of the things that Caesar does to lose the support of the people and what his reasons are for them.
Essay Topic 3
Write an in depth essay about Crassus's personality traits, focusing on his main vice, avarice. Use examples and events to explain how his pension for greed affected both his political and military career.
This section contains 1,410 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)