|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cicero take the time to learn about everyone he meets?
2. What happens to Catiline after Cicero uncovers his plans?
3. Where is Cicero's country estate located?
4. Why does Sulla consider putting Caesar to death at such a young age?
5. How is Pompey mentioned in Sulla's will?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pompey face criticism for pursuing Caesar and what happens when the two meet for the final time?
2. What leads to the civil war between Caesar and Pompey?
3. What actions does Caesar make following the deaths of his aunt and wife that endear him to the people of Rome?
4. What is the dilemma Cicero faces upon discovering the plan by Catiline's forces that remain in Rome?
5. What part does Pompey play in the war in Africa, how does he want to be celebrated for it, and why is he given the name, "The Great"?
6. What is it about Caesar's actions that cause him to lose support from the people, and how does he become a dictator for life?
7. What is significant about the way Pompey begins his military career?
8. What happens to Pompey at Mitylene, and how does he end up going to Egypt?
9. How do the people show their support for Caesar when he enters politics and what does Cato do to try to lessen Caesar's popularity at that time?
10. What does Cicero's name mean, why was he given it, and how does his response to it indicate his sense of humor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the different characteristics of Marius and Sulla, both militarily and politically. Include a detailed explanation of the feud between them and the effects it has on Rome.
Essay Topic 2
During the Roman Empire, marriage was used as a way to exercise control over people and situations and was looked at much differently than it is today. Write an essay describing the way the Romans, and the leaders in particular, saw marriage, and how it differs from current times. Provide examples of the way marriage was used for political purposes in the book, how each of the leaders viewed it, and why there were so many different marriages within a short period.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the period where the political careers of Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus all intersected, the reasons for it, which ones were the most influential, and the effect it had on each of the three.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)