|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Along with the dowry from his wife, what helps Cicero maintain his modest lifestyle?
2. What does Cicero work as when he first returns to Rome?
3. How many months is it before Cicero is asked to return to Rome?
4. What does Terentia, Cicero's wife, do to cause their divorce?
5. Where does Cicero serve as a priest before returning to Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the omens that Plutarch discusses leading up to Caesar's death?
2. What is Cicero's educational background and how does it contribute to the decisions made early in his career?
3. How do the people show their support for Caesar when he enters politics and what does Cato do to try to lessen Caesar's popularity at that time?
4. What does Caesar do to build support for himself as a Roman leader after he returns from Gaul, and why is the timing significant?
5. What does Cicero's name mean, why was he given it, and how does his response to it indicate his sense of humor?
6. Why does Cicero retire from public life, and what do his plans include at this point in his life?
7. What actions does Caesar make following the deaths of his aunt and wife that endear him to the people of Rome?
8. How do the differences between Caesar and Pompey lead to Caesar becoming the dictator of Rome, and what does he do with the position?
9. What happens to Pompey at Mitylene, and how does he end up going to Egypt?
10. How does Cicero die and how is he remembered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch mentions that Caesar has a more impressive military career than any of the other Roman leaders mentioned in the book. Analyze Caesar's military experience and the way he chooses to fight his battles, citing specific examples of what earns him so much respect from his soldiers and the people of Rome. Also, describe the way Caesar's military accomplishments compare to those of the other leaders and if your analysis supports Plutarch's opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Omens played a big part of the way Romans lived their lives and made their decisions.
1) Using each of the six figures for which Plutarch provides a biography, describe the different omens that they encounter and the way that they choose to react to them.
2) Analyze the differences or similarities between how the Roman leaders responded to omens during their lives, and the results of their regard for them.
3) Explain what you think the significance of omens were in general to the Roman Republic and the people who lived during that time.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the war between Cicero and Catiline, why it starts, how Cicero becomes involved in it, and the way Catiline is dealt with. Explain Cicero's involvement and actions in detail along with why he has the ability to stop Catiline and his plans.
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)