|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the young Caesar eventually take on as his colleague?
2. What does Clodius unsuccessfully attempt to do while Cicero is away?
3. What does Sulla think Pompey has done with regard to his enemy, Lepidus?
4. What does Pompey wait for before going to the aid of Metellus?
5. Why do Caesar and Pompey hide their dislike for each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cicero die and how is he remembered?
2. What leads to the civil war between Caesar and Pompey?
3. What causes the Egyptians to betray Pompey, how does he die, and what is Caesar's reaction?
4. How does Caesar die and why has the event become so famous?
5. What is significant about the way Pompey begins his military career?
6. What is Cicero's educational background and how does it contribute to the decisions made early in his career?
7. Why does Cicero leave Rome after he draws the ire of Clodius, and how does he return?
8. What does Caesar do to build support for himself as a Roman leader after he returns from Gaul, and why is the timing significant?
9. What are some of the omens that Plutarch discusses leading up to Caesar's death?
10. What kind of reputation does Pompey have with regard to the way he treats enemy soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Fall of the Roman Republic" is regarded as one of the most comprehensive accounts of the lives of some of the most significant Roman leaders. Describe five things that you learned from reading the book and why you think they are relevant to either the Roman Republic, or current times. As well, which characters and events do you think had the most impact on the Romans in general and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the war between Marius and Metellus, chronicling how it begins, the reasons why it becomes so intense, and the effect its ending has on Marius's career as a Roman leader.
Essay Topic 3
Caesar is known for having an impact on Rome from a very early age. Describe his youth and the events that lead up to his return to Rome, including an analysis of his capture by Sulla's men and the pirates. Also, explain why these situations and how Caesar handles them are a sign of the way he eventually approaches later conflicts in his life.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)