|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cato do to diminish the effects of Caesar's growing popularity?
2. Who pays Caesar's debt when he is stopped on his way to Spain?
3. Why does Pompey want to avoid fighting Caesar?
4. What does the younger Caesar say about Cicero years after his death?
5. What does Caesar do when he is captured by Sulla's men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the Roman Empire, marriage was used as a way to exercise control over people and situations and was looked at much differently than it is today. Write an essay describing the way the Romans, and the leaders in particular, saw marriage, and how it differs from current times. Provide examples of the way marriage was used for political purposes in the book, how each of the leaders viewed it, and why there were so many different marriages within a short period.
Essay Topic 2
Sulla makes his quest for control clear in the way he takes control of Rome.
1) Describe the events that lead up to Sulla attacking Rome and gaining control of it for the first time. Include your analysis of his actions and the motives behind them.
2) Explain what Sulla does after regaining control of Rome, how many soldiers are affected as a result, and what Sulla chooses to do with the control he gives himself.
Essay Topic 3
Pompey's death was a result of the betrayal of the Egyptians.
1) Describe the dilemma that the Egyptians are faced with as Pompey approaches their shores. Analyze their decision, whether or not you agree with it, and why.
2) Explain the way Pompey decides to proceed to the shores of Egypt, his reaction to his impending death, and how he is killed .
3) Describe Caesar's response to Pompey's death along with his actions following it, and what you think his reasons are for both.
This section contains 1,604 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)