|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Catiline after Cicero uncovers his plans?
2. How does Plutarch compare Caesar's military career with Marius, Sulla, and Pompey's?
3. Who supports the law to give Pompey increased powers to fight the pirates?
4. What does Caesar do upon being declared the dictator of Rome?
5. What does Cicero take the time to learn about everyone he meets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the Egyptians to betray Pompey, how does he die, and what is Caesar's reaction?
2. What are some of the omens that Plutarch discusses leading up to Caesar's death?
3. What is the contrast between Caesar's troops and Pompey's troops, and how does that affect the outcome of their war?
4. How does Cicero die and how is he remembered?
5. Why does Cicero leave Rome after he draws the ire of Clodius, and how does he return?
6. What important event does Cicero stop when he is the praetor of Rome?
7. What part does Pompey play in the war in Africa, how does he want to be celebrated for it, and why is he given the name, "The Great"?
8. How does Cicero approach young Caesar when he arrives in Rome, and what happens to cause the two to be on opposite sides?
9. What does Caesar do to build support for himself as a Roman leader after he returns from Gaul, and why is the timing significant?
10. What is Cicero's educational background and how does it contribute to the decisions made early in his career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sulla makes his quest for control clear in the way he takes control of Rome.
1) Describe the events that lead up to Sulla attacking Rome and gaining control of it for the first time. Include your analysis of his actions and the motives behind them.
2) Explain what Sulla does after regaining control of Rome, how many soldiers are affected as a result, and what Sulla chooses to do with the control he gives himself.
Essay Topic 2
Write an in depth essay about Crassus's personality traits, focusing on his main vice, avarice. Use examples and events to explain how his pension for greed affected both his political and military career.
Essay Topic 3
Caesar is known for having an impact on Rome from a very early age. Describe his youth and the events that lead up to his return to Rome, including an analysis of his capture by Sulla's men and the pirates. Also, explain why these situations and how Caesar handles them are a sign of the way he eventually approaches later conflicts in his life.
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)