|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people fear when the senate session lasts longer than normal?
2. What is Caesar known for during a battle?
3. What does Caesar give to the troops before returning them to Pompey?
4. Where does Pompey face Sertorius?
5. Along with the dowry from his wife, what helps Cicero maintain his modest lifestyle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the differences between Caesar and Pompey lead to Caesar becoming the dictator of Rome, and what does he do with the position?
2. What happens to Pompey at Mitylene, and how does he end up going to Egypt?
3. How do the people show their support for Caesar when he enters politics and what does Cato do to try to lessen Caesar's popularity at that time?
4. What are some of the omens that Plutarch discusses leading up to Caesar's death?
5. Why does Cicero leave Rome after he draws the ire of Clodius, and how does he return?
6. Why does Cicero retire from public life, and what do his plans include at this point in his life?
7. How does Cicero approach young Caesar when he arrives in Rome, and what happens to cause the two to be on opposite sides?
8. What does Cicero's name mean, why was he given it, and how does his response to it indicate his sense of humor?
9. What is Cicero's educational background and how does it contribute to the decisions made early in his career?
10. What kind of reputation does Pompey have with regard to the way he treats enemy soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pompey is mainly known for his military career, but he also entered the political arena. Analyze both his military and political experiences, how they contrasted each other, and which one had the most impact on Rome. Also, include a detailed explanation of why Pompey was so highly regarded for the way he handled himself during the military battles he was involved with.
Essay Topic 2
Caesar is known for having an impact on Rome from a very early age. Describe his youth and the events that lead up to his return to Rome, including an analysis of his capture by Sulla's men and the pirates. Also, explain why these situations and how Caesar handles them are a sign of the way he eventually approaches later conflicts in his life.
Essay Topic 3
Marius displays his constant resolve in a variety of different ways throughout his life.
1) Explain how Marius loses two political battles in one day, and why the way he handles each of them is important.
2) Describe the way Marius views his involvement in the wars that he fights, how he chooses to train himself and his troops, and explain the origin of the saying, "one of Marius's mules."
3) Describe at least two other examples of how Marius shows his resolve or the inability to accept defeat, and why that is a significant part of his life.
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)