|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men does Caesar have when he returns to free Cicero from the siege of a Gaul uprising?
2. What happens to Mithridates after Pompey defeats him?
3. What does Cicero work as when he first returns to Rome?
4. Who pays Caesar's debt when he is stopped on his way to Spain?
5. Why is Cicero not involved with Caesar's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caesar avoid death in his youth, and what do his dealings with the pirates display?
2. What is interesting about how the battle between Pompey and Sertorius ends, and Pompey's decision afterward?
3. Why does Cicero leave Rome after he draws the ire of Clodius, and how does he return?
4. Why does Cicero retire from public life, and what do his plans include at this point in his life?
5. What causes the Egyptians to betray Pompey, how does he die, and what is Caesar's reaction?
6. What age is Pompey when he does battle with Caesar and what happens when the two first meet?
7. How does Cicero approach young Caesar when he arrives in Rome, and what happens to cause the two to be on opposite sides?
8. What is significant about the way Pompey begins his military career?
9. What is the dilemma Cicero faces upon discovering the plan by Catiline's forces that remain in Rome?
10. What does Cicero's name mean, why was he given it, and how does his response to it indicate his sense of humor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch uses the comparisons of other figures to illustrate the character of the Roman leaders that he describes in "Fall of the Roman Republic". For each of the following, explain the comparison made by Plutarch, what it displays for each figure, and what it adds to the biography of that specific Roman leader.
1) Marius and Plato.
2) Sulla and Lysander.
3) Crassus and Nicias.
4) Pompey and Agesilaus.
5) Cicero and Demosthenes.
6) Caesar and Marius.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the period where the political careers of Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus all intersected, the reasons for it, which ones were the most influential, and the effect it had on each of the three.
Essay Topic 3
Pompey is mainly known for his military career, but he also entered the political arena. Analyze both his military and political experiences, how they contrasted each other, and which one had the most impact on Rome. Also, include a detailed explanation of why Pompey was so highly regarded for the way he handled himself during the military battles he was involved with.
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)