|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Pompey's father, Strabo, generally considered?
2. What reason does Considius give for his general lack of fear?
3. What age is Cicero when he is killed?
4. What does Cicero occasionally do in order to garner glory?
5. What does Caesar do when he is captured by Sulla's men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of reputation does Pompey have with regard to the way he treats enemy soldiers?
2. What is the dilemma Cicero faces upon discovering the plan by Catiline's forces that remain in Rome?
3. What is it about Caesar's actions that cause him to lose support from the people, and how does he become a dictator for life?
4. How do the people show their support for Caesar when he enters politics and what does Cato do to try to lessen Caesar's popularity at that time?
5. What causes the Egyptians to betray Pompey, how does he die, and what is Caesar's reaction?
6. What age is Pompey when he does battle with Caesar and what happens when the two first meet?
7. How does the rivalry between Cicero and Clodius begin?
8. How do the differences between Caesar and Pompey lead to Caesar becoming the dictator of Rome, and what does he do with the position?
9. What are some of the omens that Plutarch discusses leading up to Caesar's death?
10. What does Caesar do to build support for himself as a Roman leader after he returns from Gaul, and why is the timing significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the Roman Empire, marriage was used as a way to exercise control over people and situations and was looked at much differently than it is today. Write an essay describing the way the Romans, and the leaders in particular, saw marriage, and how it differs from current times. Provide examples of the way marriage was used for political purposes in the book, how each of the leaders viewed it, and why there were so many different marriages within a short period.
Essay Topic 2
Marius displays his constant resolve in a variety of different ways throughout his life.
1) Explain how Marius loses two political battles in one day, and why the way he handles each of them is important.
2) Describe the way Marius views his involvement in the wars that he fights, how he chooses to train himself and his troops, and explain the origin of the saying, "one of Marius's mules."
3) Describe at least two other examples of how Marius shows his resolve or the inability to accept defeat, and why that is a significant part of his life.
Essay Topic 3
"Fall of the Roman Republic" is regarded as one of the most comprehensive accounts of the lives of some of the most significant Roman leaders. Describe five things that you learned from reading the book and why you think they are relevant to either the Roman Republic, or current times. As well, which characters and events do you think had the most impact on the Romans in general and why?
This section contains 1,418 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)