|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which city takes the side of Mithridates, causing Sulla to march against it?
2. Why does Sulla say that he divorced Metella?
3. How is Crassus killed?
4. How do Spartacus and the Spartans begin their successful battles?
5. How long does Crassus send Caesar to Gaul for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sulla rule over Rome for the second time?
2. What age does Marius retire from the leadership command position in the military, and what does he do afterward?
3. How does Marius distinguish himself when he is voted into the office of tribune?
4. What important event does Cicero stop when he is the praetor of Rome?
5. What are some of the omens that Plutarch discusses leading up to Caesar's death?
6. What kind of reputation does Pompey have with regard to the way he treats enemy soldiers?
7. What personal problems does Cicero encounter after he retires from public life?
8. How does Crassus originally face the Parthians?
9. Why does Cicero leave Rome after he draws the ire of Clodius, and how does he return?
10. What is the dilemma Cicero faces upon discovering the plan by Catiline's forces that remain in Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Fall of the Roman Republic" is regarded as one of the most comprehensive accounts of the lives of some of the most significant Roman leaders. Describe five things that you learned from reading the book and why you think they are relevant to either the Roman Republic, or current times. As well, which characters and events do you think had the most impact on the Romans in general and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the civil war between Caesar and Pompey, including an analysis of all factors surrounding the events that led up to it, how it was waged, and the way that it ended. Use the entire book to provide insight on both men to explain the reasons for their parts in the war, and the overall effect it has on the future of Rome.
Essay Topic 3
Caesar is known for having an impact on Rome from a very early age. Describe his youth and the events that lead up to his return to Rome, including an analysis of his capture by Sulla's men and the pirates. Also, explain why these situations and how Caesar handles them are a sign of the way he eventually approaches later conflicts in his life.
This section contains 2,409 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)