|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Metella, Sulla's wife, during one of his banquets?
2. Upon entering Italy, what do Sulla's men do to show their allegiance?
3. What decree does Sulla make when he controls Rome?
4. After being joined by the Phocians, what city does Sulla occupy?
5. What event causes Crassus to emerge from hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sulla approach a possible confrontation with the younger Marius?
2. How does Caesar affect the political career of Crassus?
3. How does Rex Warner describe Plutarch's biography of Marius and why?
4. How does Crassus die and what do the Parthians do after his death?
5. What is interesting about Sulla's funeral and the inscription on his burial stone?
6. How does Marius distinguish himself when he is voted into the office of tribune?
7. How does Marius's first military experience inspire him to pursue greater accomplishments?
8. What happens to Sulla's wife, Metella, and what does Sulla do?
9. How does the civil war between Marius and Sulla start, and what is the result of it?
10. How does Sulla die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sulla makes his quest for control clear in the way he takes control of Rome.
1) Describe the events that lead up to Sulla attacking Rome and gaining control of it for the first time. Include your analysis of his actions and the motives behind them.
2) Explain what Sulla does after regaining control of Rome, how many soldiers are affected as a result, and what Sulla chooses to do with the control he gives himself.
Essay Topic 2
Caesar is known for having an impact on Rome from a very early age. Describe his youth and the events that lead up to his return to Rome, including an analysis of his capture by Sulla's men and the pirates. Also, explain why these situations and how Caesar handles them are a sign of the way he eventually approaches later conflicts in his life.
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch uses the comparisons of other figures to illustrate the character of the Roman leaders that he describes in "Fall of the Roman Republic". For each of the following, explain the comparison made by Plutarch, what it displays for each figure, and what it adds to the biography of that specific Roman leader.
1) Marius and Plato.
2) Sulla and Lysander.
3) Crassus and Nicias.
4) Pompey and Agesilaus.
5) Cicero and Demosthenes.
6) Caesar and Marius.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)