|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When standing for aedileship, how many times does Marius get defeated politically in a single day?
2. How does Crassus feel about Sulla's opinion of Pompey?
3. Where does Marius participate in a war as legate to Metellus?
4. What city does Turpillius command when Jugurtha takes it over?
5. What happens to the Spartans that leads to their defeat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marius's first military experience inspire him to pursue greater accomplishments?
2. What happens to Crassus's family and why does he return to Rome?
3. What age does Marius retire from the leadership command position in the military, and what does he do afterward?
4. How does Caesar die and why has the event become so famous?
5. What does Cicero's name mean, why was he given it, and how does his response to it indicate his sense of humor?
6. How does Caesar avoid death in his youth, and what do his dealings with the pirates display?
7. What is interesting about the way Marius first tries to stand for the aedileship?
8. How does Pompey's reputation contrast with his father's?
9. What happens to Crassus's son?
10. Why does Sulla give up the dictatorship and how does he live his life at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marius displays his constant resolve in a variety of different ways throughout his life.
1) Explain how Marius loses two political battles in one day, and why the way he handles each of them is important.
2) Describe the way Marius views his involvement in the wars that he fights, how he chooses to train himself and his troops, and explain the origin of the saying, "one of Marius's mules."
3) Describe at least two other examples of how Marius shows his resolve or the inability to accept defeat, and why that is a significant part of his life.
Essay Topic 2
Plutarch uses the comparisons of other figures to illustrate the character of the Roman leaders that he describes in "Fall of the Roman Republic". For each of the following, explain the comparison made by Plutarch, what it displays for each figure, and what it adds to the biography of that specific Roman leader.
1) Marius and Plato.
2) Sulla and Lysander.
3) Crassus and Nicias.
4) Pompey and Agesilaus.
5) Cicero and Demosthenes.
6) Caesar and Marius.
Essay Topic 3
Pompey's death was a result of the betrayal of the Egyptians.
1) Describe the dilemma that the Egyptians are faced with as Pompey approaches their shores. Analyze their decision, whether or not you agree with it, and why.
2) Explain the way Pompey decides to proceed to the shores of Egypt, his reaction to his impending death, and how he is killed .
3) Describe Caesar's response to Pompey's death along with his actions following it, and what you think his reasons are for both.
This section contains 2,331 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)