|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Sulla's first bid for praetorship?
2. What city does Turpillius command when Jugurtha takes it over?
3. What was unique about the Tuetones and the Cimbri?
4. What happens to Fimbria after he welcomes Sulla into his camp?
5. Whom does Marius face during his first military service?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sulla die?
2. How does Marius distinguish himself when he is voted into the office of tribune?
3. How does Caesar die and why has the event become so famous?
4. What are some of the omens that Plutarch discusses leading up to Caesar's death?
5. What does Marius do when elected consul to endear himself to the people?
6. What kind of reputation does Pompey have with regard to the way he treats enemy soldiers?
7. What age does Marius retire from the leadership command position in the military, and what does he do afterward?
8. What is Cicero's educational background and how does it contribute to the decisions made early in his career?
9. What does Sulla do after taking Rome again, this time, from Telesinus?
10. How does the feud between Marius and Metellus begin?
Essay Topic 1
Pompey is mainly known for his military career, but he also entered the political arena. Analyze both his military and political experiences, how they contrasted each other, and which one had the most impact on Rome. Also, include a detailed explanation of why Pompey was so highly regarded for the way he handled himself during the military battles he was involved with.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the civil war between Caesar and Pompey, including an analysis of all factors surrounding the events that led up to it, how it was waged, and the way that it ended. Use the entire book to provide insight on both men to explain the reasons for their parts in the war, and the overall effect it has on the future of Rome.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how Cicero is different from the other five Roman leaders that Plutarch writes about in the book. Include his educational background, military career, and personality. Also, use examples from the book to illustrate his sense of humor, tendency to magnify events, and how these traits were received by those around him. Finally, explain why you think Plutarch chooses to include Cicero in "Fall of the Roman Republic".
This section contains 2,398 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)