|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sulla the first Roman to do, pertaining to the Parthians?
2. What law does Marius put into effect upon being voted to the office of tribune?
3. Where does Sulla almost suffer a defeat until he rallies back with his men?
4. What does Valeria pluck from Sulla's toga before they are eventually married?
5. What was unique about the Tuetones and the Cimbri?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the way Sulla takes control of Rome?
2. What is interesting about Sulla's funeral and the inscription on his burial stone?
3. What is the mystery surrounding Marius's death?
4. What is Crassus's plan after being elected to the consul, and what mistake does he make that winter?
5. How does the civil war between Marius and Sulla start, and what is the result of it?
6. What happens to Sulla's wife, Metella, and what does Sulla do?
7. What kinds of omens does Crassus receive on his way to Syria and how does he respond to them?
8. How does Sulla die?
9. What is Crassus's main vice, and how is this displayed?
10. How does Sulla attempt to interfere with Pompey the Great's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marius displays his constant resolve in a variety of different ways throughout his life.
1) Explain how Marius loses two political battles in one day, and why the way he handles each of them is important.
2) Describe the way Marius views his involvement in the wars that he fights, how he chooses to train himself and his troops, and explain the origin of the saying, "one of Marius's mules."
3) Describe at least two other examples of how Marius shows his resolve or the inability to accept defeat, and why that is a significant part of his life.
Essay Topic 2
Cicero makes an important decision while serving his office that has an unintended effect on his status in Rome.
1) Analyze the decision Cicero has to make concerning the death penalty for Catiline's men who remain in Rome and are planning to destroy the city. Explain both sides of the issue, why Cicero is hesitant to make the decision, and what factors he considers.
2) Describe the political fallout from Cicero's decision, his feud with Clodius, and how the decision is used against Cicero to cause his departure from Rome.
3) Explain the events that take place while Cicero is away from Rome and what ultimately causes his return.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the different characteristics of Marius and Sulla, both militarily and politically. Include a detailed explanation of the feud between them and the effects it has on Rome.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)