|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Crassus send Caesar to Gaul for?
2. What is Marius's statue made out of?
3. What is Hispania Ulterior when Marius is sent to battle the bandits there?
4. What does Marius pledge to do while addressing the assembly for his first consul?
5. What is Sulla the first Roman to do, pertaining to the Parthians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sulla do after taking Rome again, this time, from Telesinus?
2. What is significant about the way Pompey begins his military career?
3. What happens to Crassus's family and why does he return to Rome?
4. How does Sulla approach a possible confrontation with the younger Marius?
5. What age is Pompey when he does battle with Caesar and what happens when the two first meet?
6. How does the feud between Marius and Metellus begin?
7. What personal problems does Cicero encounter after he retires from public life?
8. Where does the expression, "one of Marius's mules" originate?
9. What is significant about the way Sulla takes control of Rome?
10. How does Pompey face criticism for pursuing Caesar and what happens when the two meet for the final time?
Essay Topic 1
Write an in depth essay about Crassus's personality traits, focusing on his main vice, avarice. Use examples and events to explain how his pension for greed affected both his political and military career.
Essay Topic 2
Caesar's death was one of the most famous events in the history of the Roman Republic. 1) Chronicle the events leading up to Caesar's death, describing the people involved, and the warnings that Caesar receives.
2) Describe how Caesar dies and the effect it has on Rome, including the way the people react.
3) Explain about the sayings that Caesar's life and death have inspired throughout the years, detailing their meanings, how they relate to Caesar, and the way they have been used.
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch mentions that Caesar has a more impressive military career than any of the other Roman leaders mentioned in the book. Analyze Caesar's military experience and the way he chooses to fight his battles, citing specific examples of what earns him so much respect from his soldiers and the people of Rome. Also, describe the way Caesar's military accomplishments compare to those of the other leaders and if your analysis supports Plutarch's opinion.
This section contains 2,375 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)