Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Crassus send Caesar to Gaul for?
2. What is Marius's statue made out of?
3. What is Hispania Ulterior when Marius is sent to battle the bandits there?
4. What does Marius pledge to do while addressing the assembly for his first consul?
5. What is Sulla the first Roman to do, pertaining to the Parthians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sulla do after taking Rome again, this time, from Telesinus?
2. What is significant about the way Pompey begins his military career?
3. What happens to Crassus's family and why does he return to Rome?
4. How does Sulla approach a possible confrontation with the younger Marius?
5. What age is Pompey when he does battle with Caesar and what happens when the two first meet?
6. How does the feud between Marius and Metellus begin?
7. What personal problems does Cicero encounter after he retires from public life?
8. Where does the expression, "one of Marius's mules" originate?
9. What is significant about the way Sulla takes control of Rome?
10. How does Pompey face criticism for pursuing Caesar and what happens when the two meet for the final time?
During the Roman Empire, marriage was used as a way to exercise control over people and situations and was looked at much differently than it is today. Write an essay describing the way the Romans, and the leaders in particular, saw marriage, and how it differs from current times. Provide examples of the way marriage was used for political purposes in the book, how each of the leaders viewed it, and why there were so many different marriages within a short period.
Write an essay describing how Cicero is different from the other five Roman leaders that Plutarch writes about in the book. Include his educational background, military career, and personality. Also, use examples from the book to illustrate his sense of humor, tendency to magnify events, and how these traits were received by those around him. Finally, explain why you think Plutarch chooses to include Cicero in "Fall of the Roman Republic".
Write an in depth essay about Crassus's personality traits, focusing on his main vice, avarice. Use examples and events to explain how his pension for greed affected both his political and military career.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)