|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jugurtha eventually die?
2. What event causes Crassus to emerge from hiding?
3. Where does Sulla almost suffer a defeat until he rallies back with his men?
4. What is Hispania Ulterior when Marius is sent to battle the bandits there?
5. What does Marius refuse in the office of tribune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the way Sulla takes control of Rome?
2. What is Crassus's plan to escape from the Parthians?
3. What is Crassus's plan after being elected to the consul, and what mistake does he make that winter?
4. How does Marius's first military experience inspire him to pursue greater accomplishments?
5. What age does Marius retire from the leadership command position in the military, and what does he do afterward?
6. What happens to Crassus's son?
7. How does Sulla rule over Rome for the second time?
8. What is Crassus's main vice, and how is this displayed?
9. What happens between Crassus and the Spartans that shows his view of war?
10. What is interesting about Sulla's funeral and the inscription on his burial stone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the Roman Empire, marriage was used as a way to exercise control over people and situations and was looked at much differently than it is today. Write an essay describing the way the Romans, and the leaders in particular, saw marriage, and how it differs from current times. Provide examples of the way marriage was used for political purposes in the book, how each of the leaders viewed it, and why there were so many different marriages within a short period.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the war between Cicero and Catiline, why it starts, how Cicero becomes involved in it, and the way Catiline is dealt with. Explain Cicero's involvement and actions in detail along with why he has the ability to stop Catiline and his plans.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the civil war between Caesar and Pompey, including an analysis of all factors surrounding the events that led up to it, how it was waged, and the way that it ended. Use the entire book to provide insight on both men to explain the reasons for their parts in the war, and the overall effect it has on the future of Rome.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)