|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Sulla from giving the command to attack against Marius' men in the way he is hoping for?
2. Which city takes the side of Mithridates, causing Sulla to march against it?
3. After being joined by the Phocians, what city does Sulla occupy?
4. Whom does Marius marry?
5. What does Crassus buy after Sulla takes control of Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Crassus's main vice, and how is this displayed?
2. What is interesting about the way Marius first tries to stand for the aedileship?
3. What age does Marius retire from the leadership command position in the military, and what does he do afterward?
4. How does Marius's first military experience inspire him to pursue greater accomplishments?
5. Why does Sulla give up the dictatorship and how does he live his life at this point?
6. What is the mystery surrounding Marius's death?
7. How does Crassus die and what do the Parthians do after his death?
8. How does Caesar affect the political career of Crassus?
9. How does Rex Warner describe Plutarch's biography of Marius and why?
10. How does Sulla die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pompey's death was a result of the betrayal of the Egyptians.
1) Describe the dilemma that the Egyptians are faced with as Pompey approaches their shores. Analyze their decision, whether or not you agree with it, and why.
2) Explain the way Pompey decides to proceed to the shores of Egypt, his reaction to his impending death, and how he is killed .
3) Describe Caesar's response to Pompey's death along with his actions following it, and what you think his reasons are for both.
Essay Topic 2
Caesar's death was one of the most famous events in the history of the Roman Republic. 1) Chronicle the events leading up to Caesar's death, describing the people involved, and the warnings that Caesar receives.
2) Describe how Caesar dies and the effect it has on Rome, including the way the people react.
3) Explain about the sayings that Caesar's life and death have inspired throughout the years, detailing their meanings, how they relate to Caesar, and the way they have been used.
Essay Topic 3
Sulla makes his quest for control clear in the way he takes control of Rome.
1) Describe the events that lead up to Sulla attacking Rome and gaining control of it for the first time. Include your analysis of his actions and the motives behind them.
2) Explain what Sulla does after regaining control of Rome, how many soldiers are affected as a result, and what Sulla chooses to do with the control he gives himself.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)