|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mithridates do to end the war with Sulla?
2. After crossing the Alps, where does Marius set up a fortified camp with the Romans while waiting for the invaders?
3. What prevents Sulla from giving the command to attack against Marius' men in the way he is hoping for?
4. Where does Sulla almost suffer a defeat until he rallies back with his men?
5. What language did Marius speak very little of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sulla attempt to interfere with Pompey the Great's life?
2. What is Crassus's plan to escape from the Parthians?
3. What questionable things does Marius do during his sixth term as consul?
4. How does Rex Warner describe Plutarch's biography of Marius and why?
5. How does Sulla approach a possible confrontation with the younger Marius?
6. How does the feud between Marius and Metellus begin?
7. What age does Marius retire from the leadership command position in the military, and what does he do afterward?
8. What is the mystery surrounding Marius's death?
9. What happens between Crassus and the Spartans that shows his view of war?
10. What is significant about the way Sulla takes control of Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Caesar's political career was hugely successful as he became appointed a dictator for life by the Roman people.
1) Compare Caesar's approach to politics and the offices he held with others who came before him, particularly Sulla, who had a distinctly different view of the people.
2) Describe the key events that caused Caesar to become so popular among the people, how his decisions and actions contributed to the popularity, and why the people connected with him in that way.
3) Analyze Caesar's political accomplishments and the situations that led him to become consul and then dictator. Also, include a description of the things that Caesar does to lose the support of the people and what his reasons are for them.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the civil war between Caesar and Pompey, including an analysis of all factors surrounding the events that led up to it, how it was waged, and the way that it ended. Use the entire book to provide insight on both men to explain the reasons for their parts in the war, and the overall effect it has on the future of Rome.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the different characteristics of Marius and Sulla, both militarily and politically. Include a detailed explanation of the feud between them and the effects it has on Rome.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)