Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Crassus send Caesar to Gaul for?
2. What is Marius's statue made out of?
3. What is Hispania Ulterior when Marius is sent to battle the bandits there?
4. What does Marius pledge to do while addressing the assembly for his first consul?
5. What is Sulla the first Roman to do, pertaining to the Parthians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sulla do after taking Rome again, this time, from Telesinus?
2. What is significant about the way Pompey begins his military career?
3. What happens to Crassus's family and why does he return to Rome?
4. How does Sulla approach a possible confrontation with the younger Marius?
5. What age is Pompey when he does battle with Caesar and what happens when the two first meet?
6. How does the feud between Marius and Metellus begin?
7. What personal problems does Cicero encounter after he retires from public life?
8. Where does the expression, "one of Marius's mules" originate?
9. What is significant about the way Sulla takes control of Rome?
10. How does Pompey face criticism for pursuing Caesar and what happens when the two meet for the final time?
Essay Topic 1
Caesar's political career was hugely successful as he became appointed a dictator for life by the Roman people.
1) Compare Caesar's approach to politics and the offices he held with others who came before him, particularly Sulla, who had a distinctly different view of the people.
2) Describe the key events that caused Caesar to become so popular among the people, how his decisions and actions contributed to the popularity, and why the people connected with him in that way.
3) Analyze Caesar's political accomplishments and the situations that led him to become consul and then dictator. Also, include a description of the things that Caesar does to lose the support of the people and what his reasons are for them.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the war between Cicero and Catiline, why it starts, how Cicero becomes involved in it, and the way Catiline is dealt with. Explain Cicero's involvement and actions in detail along with why he has the ability to stop Catiline and his plans.
Essay Topic 3
Write an in depth essay about Crassus's personality traits, focusing on his main vice, avarice. Use examples and events to explain how his pension for greed affected both his political and military career.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)