|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cicero occasionally do in order to garner glory?
(a) He takes the stories of others as his own.
(b) He magnifies his achievements.
(c) He associates with those who have accomplished great things.
(d) He risks his life to provide stories to tell.
2. What does Pompey do with Sertorius's letters after his death?
(a) Throws them into the sea without reading them.
(b) Burns them without reading them.
(c) Throws them into the sea after reading them.
(d) Burns them after reading them.
3. How many months is it before Cicero is asked to return to Rome?
4. How is Pompey perceived throughout much of his life?
(a) As a generous man.
(b) As a fearful man.
(c) As a vengeful man.
(d) As a greedy man.
5. What is Cicero primarily known for?
(a) Being an orator and a poet.
(b) Being married into a noteworthy family.
(c) Being an ally to all of Rome's consuls.
(d) Being in the military.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Pompey to win the war in Africa?
2. Why does Pompey refuse to help Cicero face Clodius?
3. What does Caesar do when his first wife dies, endearing him to the people?
4. How does Plutarch compare Caesar's military career with Marius, Sulla, and Pompey's?
5. What does Caesar use to build support for himself as a Roman leader?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pompey's reputation contrast with his father's?
2. How does Plutarch feel about Caesar's military accomplishments and why?
3. What does Caesar do to build support for himself as a Roman leader after he returns from Gaul, and why is the timing significant?
4. How do the differences between Caesar and Pompey lead to Caesar becoming the dictator of Rome, and what does he do with the position?
5. What are some of the omens that Plutarch discusses leading up to Caesar's death?
6. What important event does Cicero stop when he is the praetor of Rome?
7. What age is Pompey when he does battle with Caesar and what happens when the two first meet?
8. What is the dilemma Cicero faces upon discovering the plan by Catiline's forces that remain in Rome?
9. How does the rivalry between Cicero and Clodius begin?
10. What is significant about the way Pompey begins his military career?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)