|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who supports the law to give Pompey increased powers to fight the pirates?
(d) The man of the equestrian order.
2. What age is Pompey when he is killed?
(c) Fifty five.
(d) Sixty five.
3. Who pays Caesar's debt when he is stopped on his way to Spain?
4. What does Caesar do for Cleopatra?
(a) He offers to relocate her to Rome.
(b) He arranges for her to take the throne with her brother.
(c) He gives her many rare jewels before leaving.
(d) He gives her a small fortune.
5. Why does Pompey want to avoid fighting Caesar?
(a) Bad weather.
(b) He has less troops than Caesar.
(c) He is afraid of Caesar.
(d) Bad omens.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pompey plan to enter Rome after his victory in Africa?
2. What is Caesar known for during a battle?
3. How educated is Cicero?
4. What do some people fear after appointing Caesar the dictator of Rome for life?
5. What is Pompey known for occasionally doing with captured nobles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the omens that Plutarch discusses leading up to Caesar's death?
2. What personal problems does Cicero encounter after he retires from public life?
3. How does Caesar die and why has the event become so famous?
4. How does Pompey's reputation contrast with his father's?
5. What important event does Cicero stop when he is the praetor of Rome?
6. How does Pompey face criticism for pursuing Caesar and what happens when the two meet for the final time?
7. Why does Cicero retire from public life, and what do his plans include at this point in his life?
8. What age is Pompey when he does battle with Caesar and what happens when the two first meet?
9. What does Cicero's name mean, why was he given it, and how does his response to it indicate his sense of humor?
10. What is the contrast between Caesar's troops and Pompey's troops, and how does that affect the outcome of their war?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)