|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pompey do with Sertorius's letters after his death?
(a) Throws them into the sea without reading them.
(b) Burns them without reading them.
(c) Throws them into the sea after reading them.
(d) Burns them after reading them.
2. How is Pompey perceived throughout much of his life?
(a) As a greedy man.
(b) As a vengeful man.
(c) As a fearful man.
(d) As a generous man.
3. What does Sulla think Pompey has done with regard to his enemy, Lepidus?
(a) Intimidated him.
(b) Helped him become too powerful.
(c) Alerted him to Sulla's plans.
(d) Caused him to lose power.
4. Why does Bibulus shut himself in his house at the end of his consul term?
(a) He is afraid he will be killed.
(b) He is afraid they will discover his betrayal.
(c) He is suffering from an illness.
(d) He is afraid he will be exiled.
5. What does Cicero do after retiring from public life?
(a) He writes.
(b) He farms.
(c) He entertains people with his speeches.
(d) He visits relatives.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Pompey mentioned in Sulla's will?
2. What happens when young Caesar arrives in Rome?
3. Whom does Clodius ask for help when he is planning his attack on Cicero?
4. Which city does Pompey help rebuild on his way home to Rome?
5. How many people join Cicero's appeal to the city when he is called upon to defend the death penalty imposed on Catiline's men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important event does Cicero stop when he is the praetor of Rome?
2. What personal problems does Cicero encounter after he retires from public life?
3. What does Caesar do to build support for himself as a Roman leader after he returns from Gaul, and why is the timing significant?
4. What part does Pompey play in the war in Africa, how does he want to be celebrated for it, and why is he given the name, "The Great"?
5. What actions does Caesar make following the deaths of his aunt and wife that endear him to the people of Rome?
6. Why does Cicero leave Rome after he draws the ire of Clodius, and how does he return?
7. How does Plutarch feel about Caesar's military accomplishments and why?
8. How does Caesar die and why has the event become so famous?
9. What is it about Caesar's actions that cause him to lose support from the people, and how does he become a dictator for life?
10. What is significant about the way Pompey begins his military career?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)