|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pompey do with Sertorius's letters after his death?
(a) Burns them after reading them.
(b) Throws them into the sea without reading them.
(c) Throws them into the sea after reading them.
(d) Burns them without reading them.
2. What does Cinna's disappearance lead some to believe?
(a) That Pompey killed Cinna.
(b) That Cinna has joined forces with Pompey.
(c) That Cinna fled in fear of Pompey.
(d) That Cinna is plotting an attack on Pompey.
3. What does Caesar do when he is captured by Sulla's men?
(a) He escapes when they are not looking.
(b) He kills one of them and is released.
(c) He tricks them into thinking Sulla has ordered his release.
(d) He uses bribery to free himself.
4. What happens when Caesar and Pompey finally battle each other?
(a) Caesar narrowly defeats Pompey.
(b) Pompey refuses to fight Caesar.
(c) Caesar thoroughly defeats Pompey.
(d) The two agree to a draw after a long battle.
5. Why do Caesar and Pompey hide their dislike for each other?
(a) They fear Crassus.
(b) They fear Marius.
(c) They fear each other.
(d) They fear the omens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caesar do on his way back to Rome?
2. Which city does Pompey help rebuild on his way home to Rome?
3. What is Caesar known for during a battle?
4. What causes Cicero's second divorce?
5. Whom does Caesar pit the people against when he is in office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the Egyptians to betray Pompey, how does he die, and what is Caesar's reaction?
2. How does Caesar avoid death in his youth, and what do his dealings with the pirates display?
3. What are some of the omens that Plutarch discusses leading up to Caesar's death?
4. How does Plutarch feel about Caesar's military accomplishments and why?
5. What age is Pompey when he does battle with Caesar and what happens when the two first meet?
6. What important event does Cicero stop when he is the praetor of Rome?
7. What is Cicero's educational background and how does it contribute to the decisions made early in his career?
8. What is the contrast between Caesar's troops and Pompey's troops, and how does that affect the outcome of their war?
9. What actions does Caesar make following the deaths of his aunt and wife that endear him to the people of Rome?
10. What is significant about the way Pompey begins his military career?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)