|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who supports the law to give Pompey increased powers to fight the pirates?
(a) The man of the equestrian order.
2. Whom does Clodius ask for help when he is planning his attack on Cicero?
3. What age is Pompey when he is killed?
(a) Fifty five.
(b) Sixty five.
4. Who gives Pompey the nickname, "The Great"?
5. What does Caesar do that many disagree with after his aunt, Julia, dies?
(a) He shows images of Julia.
(b) He shows images of Marius.
(c) He works to return Marius from exile.
(d) He works to change the laws about burials.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sulla think Pompey has done with regard to his enemy, Lepidus?
2. What is Cicero primarily known for?
3. What is it about Stratonice that capture's Pompey's attention?
4. How long does it take Pompey to win the war in Africa?
5. What does Clodius unsuccessfully attempt to do while Cicero is away?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pompey's reputation contrast with his father's?
2. How does Caesar avoid death in his youth, and what do his dealings with the pirates display?
3. What kind of reputation does Pompey have with regard to the way he treats enemy soldiers?
4. What personal problems does Cicero encounter after he retires from public life?
5. What are some of the omens that Plutarch discusses leading up to Caesar's death?
6. How does Cicero approach young Caesar when he arrives in Rome, and what happens to cause the two to be on opposite sides?
7. What is the dilemma Cicero faces upon discovering the plan by Catiline's forces that remain in Rome?
8. Why does Cicero leave Rome after he draws the ire of Clodius, and how does he return?
9. What is the contrast between Caesar's troops and Pompey's troops, and how does that affect the outcome of their war?
10. What part does Pompey play in the war in Africa, how does he want to be celebrated for it, and why is he given the name, "The Great"?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)