|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Considius give for his general lack of fear?
(a) His age.
(b) His knowledge.
(c) His influence.
(d) His previous accomplishments.
2. Where does Pompey face Sertorius?
3. When does Cicero return to Rome?
(a) Two days before the civil war.
(b) On the eve of the civil war.
(c) Two days after the civil war.
(d) On the day after the civil war.
4. What causes Lepidus to die?
(b) A letter detailing his wife's unfaithfulness.
(c) He commits suicide.
(d) Pompey kills him.
5. What is Pompey known for occasionally doing with captured nobles?
(a) Burning them.
(b) Allowing them to escape.
(c) Beheading them.
(d) Convincing them to join his army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caesar do when his generals fear attacking the Germans?
2. Which city does Pompey help rebuild on his way home to Rome?
3. How does Pompey plan to enter Rome after his victory in Africa?
4. How does Plutarch compare Caesar's military career with Marius, Sulla, and Pompey's?
5. What does Caesar use to build support for himself as a Roman leader?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caesar avoid death in his youth, and what do his dealings with the pirates display?
2. How do the people show their support for Caesar when he enters politics and what does Cato do to try to lessen Caesar's popularity at that time?
3. How does Pompey's reputation contrast with his father's?
4. How does Cicero die and how is he remembered?
5. What is it about Caesar's actions that cause him to lose support from the people, and how does he become a dictator for life?
6. What does Caesar do to build support for himself as a Roman leader after he returns from Gaul, and why is the timing significant?
7. What part does Pompey play in the war in Africa, how does he want to be celebrated for it, and why is he given the name, "The Great"?
8. What important event does Cicero stop when he is the praetor of Rome?
9. What is significant about the way Pompey begins his military career?
10. What personal problems does Cicero encounter after he retires from public life?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)