|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caesar give to the troops before returning them to Pompey?
(b) A monetary gift.
2. Who pays Caesar's debt when he is stopped on his way to Spain?
3. How is Pompey's father, Strabo, generally considered?
(a) He is liked.
(b) He is hated.
(c) He is envied.
(d) He is feared.
4. Why does Caesar divorce his second wife?
(a) He does not have the time to sustain the marriage.
(b) She disagrees with his political ambitions.
(c) She is accused of having an affair.
(d) He is accused of having an affair.
5. What does Caesar do when he is captured by Sulla's men?
(a) He tricks them into thinking Sulla has ordered his release.
(b) He escapes when they are not looking.
(c) He kills one of them and is released.
(d) He uses bribery to free himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clodius unsuccessfully attempt to do while Cicero is away?
2. What happens when Caesar and Pompey finally battle each other?
3. How many months is it before Cicero is asked to return to Rome?
4. What does Sulla think Pompey has done with regard to his enemy, Lepidus?
5. Where does Cicero serve as a priest before returning to Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting about how the battle between Pompey and Sertorius ends, and Pompey's decision afterward?
2. How does Pompey face criticism for pursuing Caesar and what happens when the two meet for the final time?
3. How does the rivalry between Cicero and Clodius begin?
4. How does Caesar die and why has the event become so famous?
5. How does Plutarch feel about Caesar's military accomplishments and why?
6. What causes the Egyptians to betray Pompey, how does he die, and what is Caesar's reaction?
7. What is significant about the way Pompey begins his military career?
8. What is it about Caesar's actions that cause him to lose support from the people, and how does he become a dictator for life?
9. What part does Pompey play in the war in Africa, how does he want to be celebrated for it, and why is he given the name, "The Great"?
10. What is Cicero's educational background and how does it contribute to the decisions made early in his career?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)