|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Pompey the nickname, "The Great"?
2. What does Terentia, Cicero's wife, do to cause their divorce?
(a) She is exiled from the city for her associations.
(b) She tries to have Cicero arrested.
(c) She has an affair.
(d) She takes the valuables from his house.
3. How does Pompey plan to enter Rome after his victory in Africa?
(a) Carried by his soldiers.
(b) On horseback, leading his soldiers.
(c) On a chariot.
(d) On foot, leading his soldiers.
4. What happens to Clodius while Cicero is away?
(a) He is killed.
(b) He is prosecuted.
(c) He disappears.
(d) He is exiled.
5. How is Pompey's father, Strabo, generally considered?
(a) He is liked.
(b) He is hated.
(c) He is feared.
(d) He is envied.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the young Caesar eventually take on as his colleague?
2. Why does Pompey want to avoid fighting Caesar?
3. Whom does Caesar's daughter eventually marry?
4. What is Cicero primarily known for?
5. Whom does Caesar pit the people against when he is in office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What personal problems does Cicero encounter after he retires from public life?
2. What is the contrast between Caesar's troops and Pompey's troops, and how does that affect the outcome of their war?
3. Why does Cicero retire from public life, and what do his plans include at this point in his life?
4. What actions does Caesar make following the deaths of his aunt and wife that endear him to the people of Rome?
5. What causes the Egyptians to betray Pompey, how does he die, and what is Caesar's reaction?
6. How does Pompey face criticism for pursuing Caesar and what happens when the two meet for the final time?
7. What age is Pompey when he does battle with Caesar and what happens when the two first meet?
8. What are some of the omens that Plutarch discusses leading up to Caesar's death?
9. How does Cicero die and how is he remembered?
10. What does Caesar do to build support for himself as a Roman leader after he returns from Gaul, and why is the timing significant?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)