|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How educated is Cicero?
(a) He is not educated at all.
(b) He is very educated.
(c) He is educated a little.
(d) His has an average education.
2. What does Pompey do after defeating the revolt, led by Brutus?
(a) He imprisons Brutus.
(b) He exiles Brutus from Rome.
(c) He kills Brutus.
(d) He lets Brutus go.
3. Upon returning to Italy, how does Pompey divorce his wife before marrying Julia, Caesar's daughter?
(a) Through a messenger.
(b) He tells her in private.
(c) Through a letter.
(d) He tells her publicly.
4. What causes Pompey to be unrecognizable to a soldier, almost bringing about Pompey's death?
(a) Heavy rain.
(b) Heavy snow.
(c) The brightness of the sun.
(d) The darkness of night.
5. What causes Cicero's second divorce?
(a) His time away from home.
(b) His return to public office.
(c) His daughter's death.
(d) His wife's unfaithfulness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mithridates after Pompey defeats him?
2. What does Clodius unsuccessfully attempt to do while Cicero is away?
3. Why does Sulla consider putting Caesar to death at such a young age?
4. How many months is it before Cicero is asked to return to Rome?
5. Who gives Pompey the nickname, "The Great"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Caesar do to build support for himself as a Roman leader after he returns from Gaul, and why is the timing significant?
2. How do the people show their support for Caesar when he enters politics and what does Cato do to try to lessen Caesar's popularity at that time?
3. What actions does Caesar make following the deaths of his aunt and wife that endear him to the people of Rome?
4. How does Pompey face criticism for pursuing Caesar and what happens when the two meet for the final time?
5. What part does Pompey play in the war in Africa, how does he want to be celebrated for it, and why is he given the name, "The Great"?
6. What important event does Cicero stop when he is the praetor of Rome?
7. What leads to the civil war between Caesar and Pompey?
8. How does Cicero approach young Caesar when he arrives in Rome, and what happens to cause the two to be on opposite sides?
9. How does Cicero die and how is he remembered?
10. What kind of reputation does Pompey have with regard to the way he treats enemy soldiers?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)