|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his stand for praetorship, what is Marius unsuccessfully prosecuted for?
2. How was Marius raised?
(a) To the ancient Roman standards.
(b) With no specific standards.
(c) Against the ancient Roman standards.
(d) To the modern Roman standards.
3. Who benefits the most from Caesar's successful attempt to convince Crassus and Pompey to join forces?
4. In which war does Sulla serve under Marius?
(a) The war in Asia.
(b) The war in Africa.
(c) The war in the Rhone Alps.
(d) The war in Hispania Ulterior.
5. What does Warner indicate is exaggerated by Plutarch?
(a) The number of children Marius had.
(b) The number of battles Marius was involved in.
(c) Marius's war skills.
(d) Marius's education.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jugurtha eventually die?
2. What does Marius refuse in the office of tribune?
3. What does Rex Warner, the translator, say about Plutarch's account of Marius's political skill?
4. What causes people not to vote for Crassus and Pompey's opposition for the consul?
5. Where does Marius participate in a war as legate to Metellus?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sulla attempt to interfere with Pompey the Great's life?
2. What happens to Crassus's son?
3. How does the civil war between Marius and Sulla start, and what is the result of it?
4. What happens between Crassus and the Spartans that shows his view of war?
5. Why does Sulla give up the dictatorship and how does he live his life at this point?
6. What happens to Crassus's family and why does he return to Rome?
7. What does Marius do when elected consul to endear himself to the people?
8. How does Sulla approach a possible confrontation with the younger Marius?
9. How does Marius's first military experience inspire him to pursue greater accomplishments?
10. What is interesting about Sulla's funeral and the inscription on his burial stone?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)