|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Metella, Sulla's wife, during one of his banquets?
(a) She is taken from Rome by a relative.
(b) She becomes ill.
(c) She is captured by one of his enemies.
(d) She is wounded by one of his enemies.
2. Why does Sulla say that he divorced Metella?
(a) He was following Metella's instructions.
(b) He was following the priests' instructions.
(c) He was following Metella's family's instructions.
(d) He was following the town council's instructions.
3. Why does Metellus first decline Marius's request to return to Rome to seek the consulate?
(a) He and Marius are bitter enemies.
(b) He is supporting another candidate for the consulate.
(c) He is trying to protect Marius.
(d) He needs Marius to help him with the war.
4. Which one of the following is not one of the theories of how Marius died?
(a) He died in his bed after reflecting on his life.
(b) He had pleurisy.
(c) He became delusional.
(d) He was killed by Sulla.
5. What language did Marius speak very little of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marius refuse in the office of tribune?
2. How many children did Sulla have altogether?
3. What does Rex Warner, the translator, say about Plutarch's account of Marius's political skill?
4. What serves as the basis for the saying, "one of Marius's mules"?
5. What decree does Sulla make when he controls Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Crassus and the Spartans that shows his view of war?
2. How does the civil war between Marius and Sulla start, and what is the result of it?
3. What age does Marius retire from the leadership command position in the military, and what does he do afterward?
4. What is Crassus's plan to escape from the Parthians?
5. What is significant about the way Sulla takes control of Rome?
6. How does Marius distinguish himself when he is voted into the office of tribune?
7. What is Crassus's main vice, and how is this displayed?
8. What kinds of omens does Crassus receive on his way to Syria and how does he respond to them?
9. How does Crassus originally face the Parthians?
10. Where does the expression, "one of Marius's mules" originate?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)