|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Spartacus and the Spartans begin their successful battles?
(a) They are attacked unjustly and defend themselves.
(b) They escape from a cruel leader.
(c) They are looking for revenge.
(d) They slowly build their soldiers.
2. Who benefits the most from Caesar's successful attempt to convince Crassus and Pompey to join forces?
3. Where in Italy is the famous statue of Gaius Marius located?
(a) San Michele.
4. What is Hispania Ulterior when Marius is sent to battle the bandits there?
(a) An uncivilized province.
(b) A civilized province.
(c) A major supplier of food for Rome.
(d) A major ally to Rome.
5. Why does Sulla say that he divorced Metella?
(a) He was following the town council's instructions.
(b) He was following Metella's family's instructions.
(c) He was following the priests' instructions.
(d) He was following Metella's instructions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Marius face during his first military service?
2. Who is credited with ending the war in Africa?
3. What does Marius pledge to do while addressing the assembly for his first consul?
4. What happens to Fimbria after he welcomes Sulla into his camp?
5. What is Sulla looking for as he sails to Aedepsus for rest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Pompey at Mitylene, and how does he end up going to Egypt?
2. What personal problems does Cicero encounter after he retires from public life?
3. How does Marius's first military experience inspire him to pursue greater accomplishments?
4. How do the differences between Caesar and Pompey lead to Caesar becoming the dictator of Rome, and what does he do with the position?
5. What actions does Caesar make following the deaths of his aunt and wife that endear him to the people of Rome?
6. What happens to Crassus's son?
7. What does Cicero's name mean, why was he given it, and how does his response to it indicate his sense of humor?
8. What is Cicero's educational background and how does it contribute to the decisions made early in his career?
9. Why does Sulla give up the dictatorship and how does he live his life at this point?
10. What important event does Cicero stop when he is the praetor of Rome?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)