|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes people not to vote for Crassus and Pompey's opposition for the consul?
(a) The opposition's inability to be present for the day of the voting.
(b) The opposition withdraws from the race the day before voting.
(c) An assassination attempt on the opposition.
(d) The opposition's poor campaign platform.
2. What is Hispania Ulterior when Marius is sent to battle the bandits there?
(a) A major ally to Rome.
(b) An uncivilized province.
(c) A civilized province.
(d) A major supplier of food for Rome.
3. Where does Crassus remain briefly after his stay at Malaca?
4. What does Crassus buy after Sulla takes control of Rome?
5. Which part of Marius's life is obscured by Plutarch, according to Warner?
(a) His wars.
(b) His death.
(c) His marriage.
(d) His childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Marius face during his first military service?
2. Whose endorsement does Marius have when he is voted to the office of tribune?
3. How many total terms does Marius serve as consul?
4. What prevents Sulla from giving the command to attack against Marius' men in the way he is hoping for?
5. What event causes Crassus to emerge from hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting about Sulla's funeral and the inscription on his burial stone?
2. How does Rex Warner describe Plutarch's biography of Marius and why?
3. Where does the expression, "one of Marius's mules" originate?
4. What does Marius do when elected consul to endear himself to the people?
5. How does Sulla die?
6. How does Caesar affect the political career of Crassus?
7. How does Sulla rule over Rome for the second time?
8. What is Crassus's plan to escape from the Parthians?
9. What is interesting about the way Marius first tries to stand for the aedileship?
10. What is the mystery surrounding Marius's death?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)