|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What plagues Crassus on his plight in Syria?
(a) A lack of supplies.
(b) Bad omens.
(c) His conscience.
2. Who prompts Sulla to attack Rome, after initially hesitating?
(b) A relative.
(d) A soothsayer.
3. Where does Jugurtha eventually die?
(a) In an execution by Marius.
(b) In exile.
(c) The dungeon.
(d) On the battlefield.
4. What does Marius pledge to do while addressing the assembly for his first consul?
(a) Invade Asia.
(b) Kill or capture Jugurtha.
(c) Sign a treaty with Jugurtha.
(d) Invade Athens.
5. How do Spartacus and the Spartans begin their successful battles?
(a) They are attacked unjustly and defend themselves.
(b) They slowly build their soldiers.
(c) They are looking for revenge.
(d) They escape from a cruel leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mithridates do to end the war with Sulla?
2. Where does Marius participate in a war as legate to Metellus?
3. What is Turpillius's fate?
4. How many total terms does Marius serve as consul?
5. What is Sulla's first order after taking over Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Crassus's plan after being elected to the consul, and what mistake does he make that winter?
2. What part does Pompey play in the war in Africa, how does he want to be celebrated for it, and why is he given the name, "The Great"?
3. Where does the expression, "one of Marius's mules" originate?
4. How does Pompey's reputation contrast with his father's?
5. What is the mystery surrounding Marius's death?
6. What does Cicero's name mean, why was he given it, and how does his response to it indicate his sense of humor?
7. What is significant about the way Sulla takes control of Rome?
8. What actions does Caesar make following the deaths of his aunt and wife that endear him to the people of Rome?
9. How does Sulla approach a possible confrontation with the younger Marius?
10. What is interesting about how the battle between Pompey and Sertorius ends, and Pompey's decision afterward?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)