|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What traditional belief does Marius go against in his first consul?
(a) He allows poor men to fight in the military.
(b) He begins multiple outside trade agreements.
(c) He does not allow poor men to fight in the military.
(d) He stops all outside trade agreements.
2. What serves as the basis for the saying, "one of Marius's mules"?
(a) Marius himself carrying his own pack for all trips.
(b) His army using twice as many mules to carry their packs.
(c) His army having to carry their own packs for long trips.
(d) His army carrying their own packs for brief trips.
3. How many children did Sulla have altogether?
4. What is Sulla looking for as he sails to Aedepsus for rest?
(a) The cold water cures.
(b) The cold wine cures.
(c) The hot wine cures.
(d) The hot water cures.
5. What prevents Sulla from giving the command to attack against Marius' men in the way he is hoping for?
(a) Heavy rain.
(b) He is waiting for reinforcements.
(c) Heavy winds.
(d) His men are too tired.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose endorsement does Marius have when he is voted to the office of tribune?
2. What causes Crassus to retreat from the war with the Parthians?
3. Who benefits the most from Caesar's successful attempt to convince Crassus and Pompey to join forces?
4. What happens to the Spartans that leads to their defeat?
5. Where does Sulla almost suffer a defeat until he rallies back with his men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting about Sulla's funeral and the inscription on his burial stone?
2. How does Caesar affect the political career of Crassus?
3. How does Marius's first military experience inspire him to pursue greater accomplishments?
4. Where does the expression, "one of Marius's mules" originate?
5. What does Marius do when elected consul to endear himself to the people?
6. What is Crassus's main vice, and how is this displayed?
7. Why does Sulla give up the dictatorship and how does he live his life at this point?
8. What questionable things does Marius do during his sixth term as consul?
9. How does Sulla rule over Rome for the second time?
10. How does the civil war between Marius and Sulla start, and what is the result of it?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)