|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Marius face during his first military service?
(a) The Cimbri.
(c) The Tuetones.
(d) The Celtiberians.
2. What does Marius pledge to do while addressing the assembly for his first consul?
(a) Kill or capture Jugurtha.
(b) Sign a treaty with Jugurtha.
(c) Invade Athens.
(d) Invade Asia.
3. What does Crassus buy after Sulla takes control of Rome?
4. What happens to Metella, Sulla's wife, during one of his banquets?
(a) She is taken from Rome by a relative.
(b) She becomes ill.
(c) She is captured by one of his enemies.
(d) She is wounded by one of his enemies.
5. What role does Andromachus play in the plans Crassus has to avoid the Parthians?
(a) He tries to set up a decoy for the Parthians.
(b) He bribes several of Crassus's men to betray him.
(c) He alerts the Parthians.
(d) He offers money to Crassus for the trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being defeated by the Parthians, where does Crassus attempt to go?
2. Who prompts Sulla to attack Rome, after initially hesitating?
3. During his stand for praetorship, what is Marius unsuccessfully prosecuted for?
4. What language did Marius speak very little of?
5. Who benefits the most from Caesar's successful attempt to convince Crassus and Pompey to join forces?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mystery surrounding Marius's death?
2. What does Sulla do after taking Rome again, this time, from Telesinus?
3. What is Crassus's plan to escape from the Parthians?
4. How does Sulla rule over Rome for the second time?
5. How does the civil war between Marius and Sulla start, and what is the result of it?
6. What happens to Crassus's son?
7. How does Sulla approach a possible confrontation with the younger Marius?
8. How does Rex Warner describe Plutarch's biography of Marius and why?
9. How does the feud between Marius and Metellus begin?
10. How does Marius's first military experience inspire him to pursue greater accomplishments?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)