|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city do Caesar and his men take over on their way to face Pompey?
2. What does Pompey do with Sertorius's letters after his death?
(a) Burns them without reading them.
(b) Burns them after reading them.
(c) Throws them into the sea without reading them.
(d) Throws them into the sea after reading them.
3. Where does Pompey face Sertorius?
4. What does Cato do to diminish the effects of Caesar's growing popularity?
(a) He offers the people additional corn.
(b) He increases the people's wages.
(c) He offers the people additional grain.
(d) He increases the amount of livestock the people have.
5. How many months is it before Cicero is asked to return to Rome?
6. Whom does Caesar pit the people against when he is in office?
(a) The military.
(d) The nobles.
7. Who objects when Caesar attempts to use the treasury's money to fund a war?
8. What plan of Catiline's does Cicero stop?
(a) A plan to stop the election.
(b) A plan to keep Sulla in control.
(c) A plan to stop Cicero from being the praetor.
(d) A plan to prevent Pompey from returning.
9. When must Pompey make his decision to befriend Crassus, according to the man of the equestrian order's vision?
(a) After Pompey and Crassus leave office.
(b) Before Pompey and Crassus leave office.
(c) By the end of the year.
(d) By the end of the month.
10. What does Cicero take the time to learn about everyone he meets?
(a) Their name.
(b) Their financial situation.
(c) Their background.
(d) Their profession.
11. When does Cicero return to Rome?
(a) Two days after the civil war.
(b) Two days before the civil war.
(c) On the eve of the civil war.
(d) On the day after the civil war.
12. How is Pompey's father, Strabo, generally considered?
(a) He is feared.
(b) He is envied.
(c) He is hated.
(d) He is liked.
13. Along with the dowry from his wife, what helps Cicero maintain his modest lifestyle?
(a) Money from the council officials who appreciate his work.
(b) Money from people who appreciate his work.
(c) A large inheritance.
(d) A small inheritance.
14. What does Caesar use to build support for himself as a Roman leader?
(a) Pompey's money.
(b) Marius's money.
(c) Contributions by the people of Rome.
(d) The spoils of war.
15. What leads to Mithridates' suicide?
(a) His fear of Caesar.
(b) His son's treachery.
(c) His own men's betrayal.
(d) His fear of Pompey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Terentia, Cicero's wife, do to cause their divorce?
2. What causes Cicero's second divorce?
3. Whose dream warns Caesar of his fate?
4. How does Plutarch compare Caesar's military career with Marius, Sulla, and Pompey's?
5. What does Sulla think Pompey has done with regard to his enemy, Lepidus?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)