|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who objects when Caesar attempts to use the treasury's money to fund a war?
2. How does Pompey plan to enter Rome after his victory in Africa?
(a) On foot, leading his soldiers.
(b) On horseback, leading his soldiers.
(c) On a chariot.
(d) Carried by his soldiers.
3. What does Pompey wait for before going to the aid of Metellus?
(a) Marius's request.
(b) Metellus's request.
(c) Sulla's request.
(d) Cinna's request.
4. What age is Cicero when he is killed?
(a) Fifty Four.
(b) Sixty Four.
(c) Seventy Four.
(d) Eighty Four.
5. What age is Pompey when he is killed?
(b) Fifty five.
(c) Sixty five.
6. What plan of Catiline's does Cicero stop?
(a) A plan to stop the election.
(b) A plan to stop Cicero from being the praetor.
(c) A plan to prevent Pompey from returning.
(d) A plan to keep Sulla in control.
7. Whom does Caesar's daughter eventually marry?
8. What is Pompey known for occasionally doing with captured nobles?
(a) Beheading them.
(b) Convincing them to join his army.
(c) Allowing them to escape.
(d) Burning them.
9. Which city does Pompey help rebuild on his way home to Rome?
10. Why does Sulla consider putting Caesar to death at such a young age?
(a) He is following the advice of his advisers.
(b) Caesar is the son of one of his rivals.
(c) He sees the potential for Caesar to rule Rome.
(d) Caesar has already humiliated him in public.
11. What is it about Stratonice that capture's Pompey's attention?
(a) Her shyness.
(b) Her singing voice.
(c) Her sense of humor.
(d) Her harp playing.
12. What does Pompey do after defeating the revolt, led by Brutus?
(a) He imprisons Brutus.
(b) He lets Brutus go.
(c) He exiles Brutus from Rome.
(d) He kills Brutus.
13. Why does Caesar divorce his second wife?
(a) She is accused of having an affair.
(b) He does not have the time to sustain the marriage.
(c) She disagrees with his political ambitions.
(d) He is accused of having an affair.
14. What does Caesar use to build support for himself as a Roman leader?
(a) Pompey's money.
(b) The spoils of war.
(c) Contributions by the people of Rome.
(d) Marius's money.
15. What does Cicero's name mean?
(a) Chick pea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cato do to diminish the effects of Caesar's growing popularity?
2. Where is Pompey living before joining Sulla's military effort?
3. Whom does Clodius ask for help when he is planning his attack on Cicero?
4. Upon returning to Italy, how does Pompey divorce his wife before marrying Julia, Caesar's daughter?
5. Whom does the young Caesar eventually take on as his colleague?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)