|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sulla consider putting Caesar to death at such a young age?
(a) Caesar is the son of one of his rivals.
(b) He sees the potential for Caesar to rule Rome.
(c) Caesar has already humiliated him in public.
(d) He is following the advice of his advisers.
2. What does Caesar do on his way back to Rome?
(a) Trains an army.
(b) Trains himself to be in an army.
(d) Meets his first wife.
3. What is Cicero's reputation as praetor?
(a) He is presumptuous and confident.
(b) He is naive and short tempered.
(c) He is unfair and reckless.
(d) He is fair and careful.
4. How long does Cicero serve in the military?
(a) An average amount of time.
(d) He does not serve in the military.
5. Why does Pompey want to avoid fighting Caesar?
(a) Bad weather.
(b) Bad omens.
(c) He is afraid of Caesar.
(d) He has less troops than Caesar.
6. What city do Caesar and his men take over on their way to face Pompey?
7. What happens when young Caesar arrives in Rome?
(a) Cicero initially plans to move from Rome to avoid him.
(b) Cicero initially tries to stop his plans for power.
(c) Cicero initially ignores him.
(d) Cicero initially befriends him.
8. How much ransom does Caesar pay for his release from the pirates?
(a) Fifty talents.
(b) Forty talents.
(c) Thirty talents.
(d) Twenty talents.
9. What happens to Catiline after Cicero uncovers his plans?
(a) He is told to leave Rome.
(b) He is imprisoned.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He is wounded while escaping the city.
10. What does Terentia, Cicero's wife, do to cause their divorce?
(a) She takes the valuables from his house.
(b) She tries to have Cicero arrested.
(c) She is exiled from the city for her associations.
(d) She has an affair.
11. What causes Lepidus to die?
(a) Pompey kills him.
(b) He commits suicide.
(c) A letter detailing his wife's unfaithfulness.
12. How many people join Cicero's appeal to the city when he is called upon to defend the death penalty imposed on Catiline's men?
(a) About twenty thousand.
(b) About thirty thousand.
(c) About ten thousand.
(d) About five thousand.
13. Where does Cicero serve as a priest before returning to Rome?
14. What happens when Caesar and Pompey finally battle each other?
(a) Caesar thoroughly defeats Pompey.
(b) Pompey refuses to fight Caesar.
(c) The two agree to a draw after a long battle.
(d) Caesar narrowly defeats Pompey.
15. What happens to Mithridates after Pompey defeats him?
(a) Mithridates joins Pompey's army.
(b) Mithridates attacks Pompey.
(c) Mithridates escapes.
(d) Mithridates pleads for his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cicero do after retiring from public life?
2. What does Pompey do with Sertorius's letters after his death?
3. Who gives Pompey the nickname, "The Great"?
4. What does Sulla think Pompey has done with regard to his enemy, Lepidus?
5. How educated is Cicero?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)