|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Vergentorix, the commander of the Gaul forces, surrender?
(a) He rides to Caesar holding a white flag.
(b) He sits at Caesar's feet, waiting to be arrested.
(c) He sends a messenger to tell Caesar his location.
(d) He writes to Caesar, informing him of the surrender.
2. What is Cicero's reputation as praetor?
(a) He is unfair and reckless.
(b) He is fair and careful.
(c) He is naive and short tempered.
(d) He is presumptuous and confident.
3. What is Cicero primarily known for?
(a) Being in the military.
(b) Being an ally to all of Rome's consuls.
(c) Being married into a noteworthy family.
(d) Being an orator and a poet.
4. What does Caesar do that many disagree with after his aunt, Julia, dies?
(a) He shows images of Julia.
(b) He shows images of Marius.
(c) He works to change the laws about burials.
(d) He works to return Marius from exile.
5. What does Pompey do after defeating the revolt, led by Brutus?
(a) He lets Brutus go.
(b) He exiles Brutus from Rome.
(c) He imprisons Brutus.
(d) He kills Brutus.
6. What is Caesar known for during a battle?
(a) Allowing his men to rest for long periods of time.
(b) Ordering his men to do impossible things.
(c) Facing the same dangers as his men.
(d) Only allowing his men to rest for short periods of time.
7. What does Clodius unsuccessfully attempt to do while Cicero is away?
(a) Auction off Cicero's property.
(b) Move into Cicero's house.
(c) Pass a law banning Cicero from Rome.
(d) Find where Cicero is.
8. What do the people fear when the senate session lasts longer than normal?
(a) That Caesar has been replaced.
(b) That Caesar has been exiled.
(c) That Caesar has been held.
(d) That Caesar has been killed.
9. Why does Bibulus shut himself in his house at the end of his consul term?
(a) He is suffering from an illness.
(b) He is afraid he will be killed.
(c) He is afraid they will discover his betrayal.
(d) He is afraid he will be exiled.
10. Whom does Caesar pit the people against when he is in office?
(c) The nobles.
(d) The military.
11. When does Cicero return to Rome?
(a) Two days after the civil war.
(b) Two days before the civil war.
(c) On the eve of the civil war.
(d) On the day after the civil war.
12. What causes Pompey to be unrecognizable to a soldier, almost bringing about Pompey's death?
(a) Heavy snow.
(b) Heavy rain.
(c) The darkness of night.
(d) The brightness of the sun.
13. What city do Caesar and his men take over on their way to face Pompey?
14. What does Caesar do on his way back to Rome?
(b) Trains an army.
(c) Trains himself to be in an army.
(d) Meets his first wife.
15. How is Sertorius killed?
(a) He is assassinated by his own men.
(b) He is killed by Marius.
(c) He is killed by Pompey.
(d) He is killed by Caesar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many months is it before Cicero is asked to return to Rome?
2. What causes Cicero's second divorce?
3. What does Caesar do for Cleopatra?
4. How many people join Cicero's appeal to the city when he is called upon to defend the death penalty imposed on Catiline's men?
5. Why does Caesar divorce his second wife?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)