|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caesar use to build support for himself as a Roman leader?
(a) Marius's money.
(b) The spoils of war.
(c) Contributions by the people of Rome.
(d) Pompey's money.
2. Why does Caesar divorce his second wife?
(a) She disagrees with his political ambitions.
(b) He is accused of having an affair.
(c) He does not have the time to sustain the marriage.
(d) She is accused of having an affair.
3. Whose dream warns Caesar of his fate?
4. Where is Pompey living before joining Sulla's military effort?
5. How does Vergentorix, the commander of the Gaul forces, surrender?
(a) He writes to Caesar, informing him of the surrender.
(b) He sends a messenger to tell Caesar his location.
(c) He sits at Caesar's feet, waiting to be arrested.
(d) He rides to Caesar holding a white flag.
6. How is Sertorius killed?
(a) He is assassinated by his own men.
(b) He is killed by Caesar.
(c) He is killed by Marius.
(d) He is killed by Pompey.
7. Who pays Caesar's debt when he is stopped on his way to Spain?
8. Why is Cicero not involved with Caesar's murder?
(a) He is away at the time of the murder.
(b) He is afraid of Caesar.
(c) The murderers do not think he will participate.
(d) He would rather face Caesar alone than in an unfair attack.
9. Along with the dowry from his wife, what helps Cicero maintain his modest lifestyle?
(a) A large inheritance.
(b) A small inheritance.
(c) Money from the council officials who appreciate his work.
(d) Money from people who appreciate his work.
10. What does Caesar do upon being declared the dictator of Rome?
(a) He gives the people money.
(b) He gives the people more land.
(c) He gives the people their rights back.
(d) He gives the people more livestock.
11. What is it about Stratonice that capture's Pompey's attention?
(a) Her sense of humor.
(b) Her shyness.
(c) Her harp playing.
(d) Her singing voice.
12. What does Cinna's disappearance lead some to believe?
(a) That Pompey killed Cinna.
(b) That Cinna has joined forces with Pompey.
(c) That Cinna fled in fear of Pompey.
(d) That Cinna is plotting an attack on Pompey.
13. How does Plutarch compare Caesar's military career with Marius, Sulla, and Pompey's?
(a) Caesar's career was more impressive than Marius, but equal to Sulla and Pompey.
(b) Caesar's career was more impressive than Marius and Sulla, but equal to Pompey.
(c) Caesar's career was more impressive than Pompey's, but equal to Marius and Sulla.
(d) Caesar's career was more impressive than all of them.
14. What plan of Catiline's does Cicero stop?
(a) A plan to prevent Pompey from returning.
(b) A plan to stop the election.
(c) A plan to keep Sulla in control.
(d) A plan to stop Cicero from being the praetor.
15. What is Pompey known for occasionally doing with captured nobles?
(a) Beheading them.
(b) Allowing them to escape.
(c) Convincing them to join his army.
(d) Burning them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pompey do after defeating the revolt, led by Brutus?
2. Upon returning to Italy, how does Pompey divorce his wife before marrying Julia, Caesar's daughter?
3. Where is Caesar betrayed and murdered?
4. What age is Pompey when he is killed?
5. How many months is it before Cicero is asked to return to Rome?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)