|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his stand for praetorship, what is Marius unsuccessfully prosecuted for?
2. What happens to the Spartans that leads to their defeat?
(a) They become over confident.
(b) They become tired.
(c) They become outnumbered.
(d) They refuse to fight.
3. What was unique about the Tuetones and the Cimbri?
(a) They did not represent a political state.
(b) They included women and children.
(c) They refused to fight against Marius.
(d) They included people from various countries.
4. According to Onatius Aurelius's vision, who orders that Crassus and Pompey should become friends?
5. What does Valeria pluck from Sulla's toga before they are eventually married?
(a) A piece of dirt.
(b) A piece of broken wood.
(c) A piece of wool.
(d) A piece of metal.
6. How does Crassus feel about Sulla's opinion of Pompey?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is jealous.
(d) He is not aware of it.
7. In which war does Sulla serve under Marius?
(a) The war in Asia.
(b) The war in Hispania Ulterior.
(c) The war in Africa.
(d) The war in the Rhone Alps.
8. Which part of Marius's life is obscured by Plutarch, according to Warner?
(a) His childhood.
(b) His marriage.
(c) His death.
(d) His wars.
9. How many miles long is the trench that Crassus digs upon meeting Spartacus on the peninsula?
10. What law does Marius put into effect upon being voted to the office of tribune?
(a) A law that prevents trading with other countries.
(b) A law that increases the power of the nobles.
(c) A law that encourages trading with other countries.
(d) A law that weakens the power of the nobles.
11. Why does Metellus first decline Marius's request to return to Rome to seek the consulate?
(a) He and Marius are bitter enemies.
(b) He needs Marius to help him with the war.
(c) He is trying to protect Marius.
(d) He is supporting another candidate for the consulate.
12. What city does Turpillius command when Jugurtha takes it over?
13. What prompts Marius to pursue greater ambitions after his first military service?
(a) A compliment from Caesar.
(b) A compliment from Scipio.
(c) The consul's urging.
(d) The people's urging.
14. Where does Jugurtha eventually die?
(a) In exile.
(b) The dungeon.
(c) On the battlefield.
(d) In an execution by Marius.
15. Whose endorsement does Marius have when he is voted to the office of tribune?
Short Answer Questions
1. What plagues Crassus on his plight in Syria?
2. What does Rex Warner, the translator, say about Plutarch's account of Marius's political skill?
3. How does Crassus often loan money?
4. What was the intent of the Tuetones and the Cimbri?
5. How many servants does Crassus have when he escapes to Spain?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)