|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What plagues Crassus on his plight in Syria?
(a) His conscience.
(b) A lack of supplies.
(c) Bad omens.
2. What does Rex Warner, the translator, say about Plutarch's account of Marius's political skill?
(a) Plutarch writes too little of Marius's political skill.
(b) Plutarch misrepresents Marius's political skill.
(c) Plutarch writes too much of Marius's political skill.
(d) Plutarch omits Marius's political skill completely.
3. How do Spartacus and the Spartans begin their successful battles?
(a) They escape from a cruel leader.
(b) They slowly build their soldiers.
(c) They are looking for revenge.
(d) They are attacked unjustly and defend themselves.
4. What out dated method of punishment does Crassus use after his men's loss?
(a) He banishes some of his men from the military.
(b) He executes some of his own men.
(c) He hands over some of his men to the Spartans.
(d) He forces some of his men to go into the next battle unarmed.
5. What happens to the Spartans that leads to their defeat?
(a) They become outnumbered.
(b) They refuse to fight.
(c) They become over confident.
(d) They become tired.
6. What is Marius's statue made out of?
7. What does Sulla require Pompey the Great to do?
(a) Divorce his wife.
(b) Leave the military.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Leave Rome.
8. How long does Crassus send Caesar to Gaul for?
(a) One year.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Three years.
9. What happens in Sulla's first bid for praetorship?
(a) He loses it.
(b) He withdraws from the race.
(c) He ties with his opponent.
(d) He wins it.
10. According to Onatius Aurelius's vision, who orders that Crassus and Pompey should become friends?
11. After crossing the Alps, where does Marius set up a fortified camp with the Romans while waiting for the invaders?
(b) St. Etienne.
12. What was the intent of the Tuetones and the Cimbri?
(a) To join Africa.
(b) To befriend the Romans.
(c) To destroy Africa.
(d) To destroy Rome.
13. What personality does Crassus have?
(a) He is vengeful.
(b) He is arrogant.
(c) He is well mannered.
(d) He is short tempered.
14. What does Crassus buy after Sulla takes control of Rome?
15. What does Warner indicate is exaggerated by Plutarch?
(a) The number of battles Marius was involved in.
(b) Marius's war skills.
(c) The number of children Marius had.
(d) Marius's education.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which city takes the side of Mithridates, causing Sulla to march against it?
2. What is Hispania Ulterior when Marius is sent to battle the bandits there?
3. What does Mithridates do to end the war with Sulla?
4. At what age is Sulla appointed consul?
5. Which one of the following is not one of the theories of how Marius died?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)