|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Warner indicate is exaggerated by Plutarch?
(a) The number of battles Marius was involved in.
(b) The number of children Marius had.
(c) Marius's education.
(d) Marius's war skills.
2. What serves as the basis for the saying, "one of Marius's mules"?
(a) Marius himself carrying his own pack for all trips.
(b) His army carrying their own packs for brief trips.
(c) His army using twice as many mules to carry their packs.
(d) His army having to carry their own packs for long trips.
3. What type of mines does Crassus own?
(a) Silver, Gold, and Coal.
4. What does Crassus ask Sulla for before leaving to raise forces?
(a) An escort.
(b) Extra food.
(d) A reason.
5. What does Marius refuse in the office of tribune?
(a) Limited distribution of corn.
(b) Mass distribution of corn.
(c) Limited distribution of wheat.
(d) Mass distribution of wheat.
6. When standing for aedileship, how many times does Marius get defeated politically in a single day?
(a) No times.
(c) Three times.
7. Whom does Marius marry?
(a) Maria, the aunt of Caesar.
(b) Maria, the cousin of Caesar.
(c) Julia, the cousin of Caesar.
(d) Julia, the aunt of Caesar.
8. What happens in Sulla's first bid for praetorship?
(a) He ties with his opponent.
(b) He loses it.
(c) He wins it.
(d) He withdraws from the race.
9. Which city takes the side of Mithridates, causing Sulla to march against it?
10. What out dated method of punishment does Crassus use after his men's loss?
(a) He executes some of his own men.
(b) He hands over some of his men to the Spartans.
(c) He forces some of his men to go into the next battle unarmed.
(d) He banishes some of his men from the military.
11. What traditional belief does Marius go against in his first consul?
(a) He does not allow poor men to fight in the military.
(b) He allows poor men to fight in the military.
(c) He stops all outside trade agreements.
(d) He begins multiple outside trade agreements.
12. What happens to Metella, Sulla's wife, during one of his banquets?
(a) She is taken from Rome by a relative.
(b) She is wounded by one of his enemies.
(c) She is captured by one of his enemies.
(d) She becomes ill.
13. What law does Marius put into effect upon being voted to the office of tribune?
(a) A law that weakens the power of the nobles.
(b) A law that increases the power of the nobles.
(c) A law that prevents trading with other countries.
(d) A law that encourages trading with other countries.
14. Where in Italy is the famous statue of Gaius Marius located?
(d) San Michele.
15. How does Mummius respond to Crassus's instructions against the Spartans at the arc?
(a) He is confused by them.
(b) He obeys them.
(c) He disobeys them.
(d) He does not learn of them until after the battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Crassus's biggest vice?
2. What does Marius pledge to do while addressing the assembly for his first consul?
3. After crossing the Alps, where does Marius set up a fortified camp with the Romans while waiting for the invaders?
4. What does Valeria pluck from Sulla's toga before they are eventually married?
5. What does Sulla require Pompey the Great to do?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)