|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Crassus's biggest vice?
2. How many enemy soldiers does Sulla slaughter in the "circus" while seizing control of Rome?
(a) Eight Thousand.
(b) Six thousand.
(c) Five Thousand.
(d) Three thousand.
3. What does Valeria pluck from Sulla's toga before they are eventually married?
(a) A piece of metal.
(b) A piece of broken wood.
(c) A piece of wool.
(d) A piece of dirt.
4. What prevents Sulla from giving the command to attack against Marius' men in the way he is hoping for?
(a) Heavy winds.
(b) He is waiting for reinforcements.
(c) His men are too tired.
(d) Heavy rain.
5. What does Crassus ask Sulla for before leaving to raise forces?
(a) An escort.
(c) Extra food.
(d) A reason.
6. How do Spartacus and the Spartans begin their successful battles?
(a) They escape from a cruel leader.
(b) They slowly build their soldiers.
(c) They are attacked unjustly and defend themselves.
(d) They are looking for revenge.
7. What does Warner indicate is exaggerated by Plutarch?
(a) Marius's war skills.
(b) The number of children Marius had.
(c) Marius's education.
(d) The number of battles Marius was involved in.
8. Upon entering Italy, what do Sulla's men do to show their allegiance?
(a) They recruit twice as many men, which Sulla rejects.
(b) They recruit twice as many men, which Sulla accepts.
(c) They raise money for the war, which Sulla refuses.
(d) They raise money for the war, which Sulla accepts.
9. Who benefits the most from Caesar's successful attempt to convince Crassus and Pompey to join forces?
10. What plagues Crassus on his plight in Syria?
(a) His conscience.
(b) A lack of supplies.
(c) Bad omens.
11. What does Crassus ignore during his first winter in Syria?
(a) Business affairs.
(b) Training the troops.
(c) His family.
(d) The enemy.
12. What does Rex Warner, the translator, say about Plutarch's account of Marius's political skill?
(a) Plutarch writes too little of Marius's political skill.
(b) Plutarch omits Marius's political skill completely.
(c) Plutarch misrepresents Marius's political skill.
(d) Plutarch writes too much of Marius's political skill.
13. What does Mithridates do to end the war with Sulla?
(a) He captures most of Sulla's men.
(b) He sues for peace.
(c) He surrenders.
(d) He defeats Sulla.
14. Who is credited with ending the war in Africa?
15. In which war does Sulla serve under Marius?
(a) The war in Hispania Ulterior.
(b) The war in Asia.
(c) The war in the Rhone Alps.
(d) The war in Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Crassus send Caesar to Gaul for?
2. What happens to Fimbria after he welcomes Sulla into his camp?
3. What happens to Metella, Sulla's wife, during one of his banquets?
4. When standing for aedileship, how many times does Marius get defeated politically in a single day?
5. Who is killed when Marius and Cinna take over Rome?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)