|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rex Warner, the translator, say about Plutarch's account of Marius's political skill?
(a) Plutarch misrepresents Marius's political skill.
(b) Plutarch writes too much of Marius's political skill.
(c) Plutarch writes too little of Marius's political skill.
(d) Plutarch omits Marius's political skill completely.
2. What prevents Sulla from giving the command to attack against Marius' men in the way he is hoping for?
(a) Heavy winds.
(b) He is waiting for reinforcements.
(c) His men are too tired.
(d) Heavy rain.
3. What happens to Metella, Sulla's wife, during one of his banquets?
(a) She is captured by one of his enemies.
(b) She is taken from Rome by a relative.
(c) She becomes ill.
(d) She is wounded by one of his enemies.
4. What was the intent of the Tuetones and the Cimbri?
(a) To destroy Rome.
(b) To destroy Africa.
(c) To join Africa.
(d) To befriend the Romans.
5. What is Turpillius's fate?
(a) He is exiled.
(b) He is released to Metellus's responsibility.
(c) He is sentenced to death.
(d) He is released to Marius's responsibility.
6. Who is leading the enemy troops as Sulla and his men near Rome?
7. Who prompts Sulla to attack Rome, after initially hesitating?
(b) A soothsayer.
(c) A relative.
8. What language did Marius speak very little of?
9. What out dated method of punishment does Crassus use after his men's loss?
(a) He forces some of his men to go into the next battle unarmed.
(b) He hands over some of his men to the Spartans.
(c) He executes some of his own men.
(d) He banishes some of his men from the military.
10. After being defeated by the Parthians, where does Crassus attempt to go?
11. How is Scipio taken captive by Sulla?
(a) Through force.
(b) Through deception.
(c) Through bribes.
(d) Through his own voluntary action.
12. What event causes Crassus to emerge from hiding?
(a) Cinna's death.
(b) Vibius's death.
(c) His father's death.
(d) Marius's death.
13. What does Warner indicate is exaggerated by Plutarch?
(a) Marius's war skills.
(b) The number of battles Marius was involved in.
(c) The number of children Marius had.
(d) Marius's education.
14. What does Crassus buy after Sulla takes control of Rome?
15. What law does Marius put into effect upon being voted to the office of tribune?
(a) A law that prevents trading with other countries.
(b) A law that encourages trading with other countries.
(c) A law that weakens the power of the nobles.
(d) A law that increases the power of the nobles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Sulla have altogether?
2. What city does Turpillius command when Jugurtha takes it over?
3. Where is Sulla chased into by Sulpicius's men?
4. Who is killed when Marius and Cinna take over Rome?
5. What tactic does Sulla employ to overcome his men's fear of war?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)