|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sulla require Pompey the Great to do?
(a) Leave the military.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Divorce his wife.
(d) Leave Rome.
2. What does Crassus ignore during his first winter in Syria?
(a) Business affairs.
(b) Training the troops.
(c) The enemy.
(d) His family.
3. What is Hispania Ulterior when Marius is sent to battle the bandits there?
(a) A civilized province.
(b) An uncivilized province.
(c) A major ally to Rome.
(d) A major supplier of food for Rome.
4. What tactic does Sulla employ to overcome his men's fear of war?
(a) He threatens them.
(b) He kills one of them as an example.
(c) He subjects them to manual labor.
(d) He belittles them repeatedly.
5. What role does Andromachus play in the plans Crassus has to avoid the Parthians?
(a) He alerts the Parthians.
(b) He bribes several of Crassus's men to betray him.
(c) He offers money to Crassus for the trip.
(d) He tries to set up a decoy for the Parthians.
6. Who benefits the most from Caesar's successful attempt to convince Crassus and Pompey to join forces?
7. During his stand for praetorship, what is Marius unsuccessfully prosecuted for?
8. What does Sulla publish after taking control of Rome?
(a) A list of men to be exiled.
(b) A list of men to be rewarded.
(c) A list of men to be punished.
(d) A list of men he wants to serve with him.
9. What is Crassus counting on as he proceeds to face the enemy troops in Syria?
(a) The size of his military.
(b) The size of the enemy's military.
(c) Information from Ariamnes.
(d) Weapons from Ariamnes.
10. What prevents Sulla from giving the command to attack against Marius' men in the way he is hoping for?
(a) His men are too tired.
(b) Heavy rain.
(c) Heavy winds.
(d) He is waiting for reinforcements.
11. How many brothers did Crassus have?
12. Why does Sulla say that he divorced Metella?
(a) He was following Metella's instructions.
(b) He was following Metella's family's instructions.
(c) He was following the town council's instructions.
(d) He was following the priests' instructions.
13. How does Caesar describe the results of Sulla's second bid for praetorship?
(a) Caesar thinks that Sulla has won fairly.
(b) Caesar accuses Sulla of buying his win.
(c) Caesar accuses Sulla's opponent of unfair tactics.
(d) Caesar thinks that neither person should have been declared the winner.
14. What does Rex Warner, the translator, say about Plutarch's account of Marius's political skill?
(a) Plutarch writes too little of Marius's political skill.
(b) Plutarch omits Marius's political skill completely.
(c) Plutarch misrepresents Marius's political skill.
(d) Plutarch writes too much of Marius's political skill.
15. Whom does Marius face during his first military service?
(b) The Tuetones.
(c) The Celtiberians.
(d) The Cimbri.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language did Marius speak very little of?
2. How often does Vibius send food to Crassus after learning of his escape from Rome?
3. What happens in Sulla's first bid for praetorship?
4. What happens to the Spartans that leads to their defeat?
5. How is Crassus killed?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)