|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Marius marry?
(a) Julia, the cousin of Caesar.
(b) Maria, the cousin of Caesar.
(c) Julia, the aunt of Caesar.
(d) Maria, the aunt of Caesar.
2. What prevents Sulla from giving the command to attack against Marius' men in the way he is hoping for?
(a) His men are too tired.
(b) Heavy winds.
(c) He is waiting for reinforcements.
(d) Heavy rain.
3. How many miles long is the trench that Crassus digs upon meeting Spartacus on the peninsula?
4. What does Marius refuse in the office of tribune?
(a) Limited distribution of corn.
(b) Mass distribution of wheat.
(c) Limited distribution of wheat.
(d) Mass distribution of corn.
5. Where in Italy is the famous statue of Gaius Marius located?
(d) San Michele.
6. When standing for aedileship, how many times does Marius get defeated politically in a single day?
(a) No times.
(c) Three times.
7. What city does Turpillius command when Jugurtha takes it over?
8. What out dated method of punishment does Crassus use after his men's loss?
(a) He banishes some of his men from the military.
(b) He hands over some of his men to the Spartans.
(c) He forces some of his men to go into the next battle unarmed.
(d) He executes some of his own men.
9. Where does Marius participate in a war as legate to Metellus?
10. What causes Sulla's death?
(a) An ulcer.
(c) He suffers a heart attack during battle.
(d) He is killed by an enemy.
11. What is Crassus counting on as he proceeds to face the enemy troops in Syria?
(a) Weapons from Ariamnes.
(b) The size of the enemy's military.
(c) The size of his military.
(d) Information from Ariamnes.
12. What happens to the servant who betrays Sulpicius?
(a) He is allowed to fight in the military.
(b) He is given a political position.
(c) He is thrown to his death.
(d) He is exiled.
13. What prompts Marius to pursue greater ambitions after his first military service?
(a) A compliment from Scipio.
(b) The people's urging.
(c) The consul's urging.
(d) A compliment from Caesar.
14. How is Crassus killed?
(a) He is beheaded.
(b) He is poisoned.
(c) He becomes ill and never recovers.
(d) He is attacked by one of his own men.
15. What does Warner indicate is exaggerated by Plutarch?
(a) Marius's war skills.
(b) The number of children Marius had.
(c) Marius's education.
(d) The number of battles Marius was involved in.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Marius raised?
2. At what age is Sulla appointed consul?
3. Upon entering Italy, what do Sulla's men do to show their allegiance?
4. What is Sulla's first order after taking over Rome?
5. Which part of Marius's life is obscured by Plutarch, according to Warner?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)