|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Sulla chased into by Sulpicius's men?
(a) Marius's house.
(b) His own house.
(c) Jugurtha's house.
(d) Caesar's house.
2. Who benefits the most from Caesar's successful attempt to convince Crassus and Pompey to join forces?
3. How long does Crassus send Caesar to Gaul for?
(a) Three years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) One year.
4. What was unique about the Tuetones and the Cimbri?
(a) They included women and children.
(b) They refused to fight against Marius.
(c) They included people from various countries.
(d) They did not represent a political state.
5. What does Rex Warner, the translator, say about Plutarch's account of Marius's political skill?
(a) Plutarch writes too little of Marius's political skill.
(b) Plutarch writes too much of Marius's political skill.
(c) Plutarch misrepresents Marius's political skill.
(d) Plutarch omits Marius's political skill completely.
6. What is Sulla the first Roman to do, pertaining to the Parthians?
(a) He is the first to be made the general of the Parthians' army.
(b) He is the first to be approached by the Parthians for an alliance.
(c) He is the first to be attacked by the Parthians.
(d) He is the first to be captured and released by the Parthians.
7. What happens to Metella, Sulla's wife, during one of his banquets?
(a) She is wounded by one of his enemies.
(b) She is captured by one of his enemies.
(c) She becomes ill.
(d) She is taken from Rome by a relative.
8. What does Sulla require Pompey the Great to do?
(a) Leave Rome.
(b) Divorce his wife.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Leave the military.
9. How many brothers did Crassus have?
10. What was the intent of the Tuetones and the Cimbri?
(a) To destroy Africa.
(b) To befriend the Romans.
(c) To destroy Rome.
(d) To join Africa.
11. What decree does Sulla make when he controls Rome?
(a) That his past acts are exonerated.
(b) The he is reducing the size of the military.
(c) That he is doubling the size of the military.
(d) That his relatives' past acts are exonerated.
12. How is Scipio taken captive by Sulla?
(a) Through deception.
(b) Through force.
(c) Through bribes.
(d) Through his own voluntary action.
13. What happens in Sulla's first bid for praetorship?
(a) He loses it.
(b) He withdraws from the race.
(c) He ties with his opponent.
(d) He wins it.
14. What serves as the basis for the saying, "one of Marius's mules"?
(a) Marius himself carrying his own pack for all trips.
(b) His army carrying their own packs for brief trips.
(c) His army having to carry their own packs for long trips.
(d) His army using twice as many mules to carry their packs.
15. What does Crassus ask Sulla for before leaving to raise forces?
(a) An escort.
(c) Extra food.
(d) A reason.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marius participate in a war as legate to Metellus?
2. Whose endorsement does Marius have when he is voted to the office of tribune?
3. When standing for aedileship, how many times does Marius get defeated politically in a single day?
4. Who is credited with ending the war in Africa?
5. What does Valeria pluck from Sulla's toga before they are eventually married?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)