|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tactic does Sulla employ to overcome his men's fear of war?
(a) He subjects them to manual labor.
(b) He threatens them.
(c) He belittles them repeatedly.
(d) He kills one of them as an example.
2. What is Sulla's first order after taking over Rome?
(a) The death sentence of Marius and Sulpicius.
(b) The elimination of the military.
(c) The death sentence of Jugurtha.
(d) The increase in the size of the military.
3. How long does Crassus send Caesar to Gaul for?
(a) Five years.
(b) One year.
(c) Three years.
(d) Seven years.
4. How many servants does Crassus have when he escapes to Spain?
5. What is Hispania Ulterior when Marius is sent to battle the bandits there?
(a) An uncivilized province.
(b) A major ally to Rome.
(c) A major supplier of food for Rome.
(d) A civilized province.
6. What law does Marius put into effect upon being voted to the office of tribune?
(a) A law that encourages trading with other countries.
(b) A law that weakens the power of the nobles.
(c) A law that increases the power of the nobles.
(d) A law that prevents trading with other countries.
7. Which one of the following is not one of the theories of how Marius died?
(a) He became delusional.
(b) He had pleurisy.
(c) He died in his bed after reflecting on his life.
(d) He was killed by Sulla.
8. Who gives Jugurtha to Sulla?
(a) A relative of Caesar.
(b) A relative of Sulla.
(c) A relative of Marius.
(d) A relative of Jugurtha.
9. How many children did Sulla have altogether?
10. What does Valeria pluck from Sulla's toga before they are eventually married?
(a) A piece of dirt.
(b) A piece of metal.
(c) A piece of wool.
(d) A piece of broken wood.
11. What is Sulla looking for as he sails to Aedepsus for rest?
(a) The hot water cures.
(b) The cold wine cures.
(c) The hot wine cures.
(d) The cold water cures.
12. After crossing the Alps, where does Marius set up a fortified camp with the Romans while waiting for the invaders?
(b) St. Etienne.
13. What happens to the servant who betrays Sulpicius?
(a) He is exiled.
(b) He is given a political position.
(c) He is allowed to fight in the military.
(d) He is thrown to his death.
14. Whose endorsement does Marius have when he is voted to the office of tribune?
15. What does Sulla publish after taking control of Rome?
(a) A list of men to be exiled.
(b) A list of men to be punished.
(c) A list of men to be rewarded.
(d) A list of men he wants to serve with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Marius marry?
2. How many total terms does Marius serve as consul?
3. How do Spartacus and the Spartans begin their successful battles?
4. Which part of Marius's life is obscured by Plutarch, according to Warner?
5. What does Crassus ask Sulla for before leaving to raise forces?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)