|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Marius.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marius pledge to do while addressing the assembly for his first consul?
(a) Invade Athens.
(b) Invade Asia.
(c) Sign a treaty with Jugurtha.
(d) Kill or capture Jugurtha.
2. Whom does Marius face during his first military service?
(b) The Cimbri.
(c) The Tuetones.
(d) The Celtiberians.
3. What traditional belief does Marius go against in his first consul?
(a) He allows poor men to fight in the military.
(b) He begins multiple outside trade agreements.
(c) He stops all outside trade agreements.
(d) He does not allow poor men to fight in the military.
4. How was Marius raised?
(a) To the modern Roman standards.
(b) Against the ancient Roman standards.
(c) With no specific standards.
(d) To the ancient Roman standards.
5. Where does Jugurtha eventually die?
(a) On the battlefield.
(b) The dungeon.
(c) In an execution by Marius.
(d) In exile.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his stand for praetorship, what is Marius unsuccessfully prosecuted for?
2. What prompts Marius to pursue greater ambitions after his first military service?
3. What does Marius refuse in the office of tribune?
4. After crossing the Alps, where does Marius set up a fortified camp with the Romans while waiting for the invaders?
5. Why does Metellus first decline Marius's request to return to Rome to seek the consulate?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)