|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Marius.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Marius participate in a war as legate to Metellus?
2. What serves as the basis for the saying, "one of Marius's mules"?
(a) Marius himself carrying his own pack for all trips.
(b) His army carrying their own packs for brief trips.
(c) His army having to carry their own packs for long trips.
(d) His army using twice as many mules to carry their packs.
3. After crossing the Alps, where does Marius set up a fortified camp with the Romans while waiting for the invaders?
(d) St. Etienne.
4. What does Warner indicate is exaggerated by Plutarch?
(a) Marius's education.
(b) The number of battles Marius was involved in.
(c) Marius's war skills.
(d) The number of children Marius had.
5. Which part of Marius's life is obscured by Plutarch, according to Warner?
(a) His childhood.
(b) His wars.
(c) His marriage.
(d) His death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rex Warner, the translator, say about Plutarch's account of Marius's political skill?
2. What was the intent of the Tuetones and the Cimbri?
3. What was unique about the Tuetones and the Cimbri?
4. What is Turpillius's fate?
5. What is Hispania Ulterior when Marius is sent to battle the bandits there?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)