|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Marius.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Metellus first decline Marius's request to return to Rome to seek the consulate?
(a) He is trying to protect Marius.
(b) He and Marius are bitter enemies.
(c) He needs Marius to help him with the war.
(d) He is supporting another candidate for the consulate.
2. What law does Marius put into effect upon being voted to the office of tribune?
(a) A law that encourages trading with other countries.
(b) A law that increases the power of the nobles.
(c) A law that weakens the power of the nobles.
(d) A law that prevents trading with other countries.
3. What traditional belief does Marius go against in his first consul?
(a) He stops all outside trade agreements.
(b) He begins multiple outside trade agreements.
(c) He allows poor men to fight in the military.
(d) He does not allow poor men to fight in the military.
4. What was the intent of the Tuetones and the Cimbri?
(a) To join Africa.
(b) To destroy Africa.
(c) To befriend the Romans.
(d) To destroy Rome.
5. Where in Italy is the famous statue of Gaius Marius located?
(d) San Michele.
Short Answer Questions
1. What serves as the basis for the saying, "one of Marius's mules"?
2. Whom does Marius marry?
3. What does Marius refuse in the office of tribune?
4. What city does Turpillius command when Jugurtha takes it over?
5. What is Marius's statue made out of?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)