|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Marius.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What traditional belief does Marius go against in his first consul?
(a) He allows poor men to fight in the military.
(b) He begins multiple outside trade agreements.
(c) He does not allow poor men to fight in the military.
(d) He stops all outside trade agreements.
2. Which part of Marius's life is obscured by Plutarch, according to Warner?
(a) His wars.
(b) His childhood.
(c) His death.
(d) His marriage.
3. Why does Metellus first decline Marius's request to return to Rome to seek the consulate?
(a) He is supporting another candidate for the consulate.
(b) He is trying to protect Marius.
(c) He and Marius are bitter enemies.
(d) He needs Marius to help him with the war.
4. What language did Marius speak very little of?
5. What prompts Marius to pursue greater ambitions after his first military service?
(a) A compliment from Scipio.
(b) A compliment from Caesar.
(c) The people's urging.
(d) The consul's urging.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was unique about the Tuetones and the Cimbri?
2. Where in Italy is the famous statue of Gaius Marius located?
3. After crossing the Alps, where does Marius set up a fortified camp with the Romans while waiting for the invaders?
4. What does Warner indicate is exaggerated by Plutarch?
5. Where does Jugurtha eventually die?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)