|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Marius.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Warner indicate is exaggerated by Plutarch?
(a) Marius's education.
(b) Marius's war skills.
(c) The number of children Marius had.
(d) The number of battles Marius was involved in.
2. Which one of the following is not one of the theories of how Marius died?
(a) He had pleurisy.
(b) He died in his bed after reflecting on his life.
(c) He was killed by Sulla.
(d) He became delusional.
3. What law does Marius put into effect upon being voted to the office of tribune?
(a) A law that encourages trading with other countries.
(b) A law that increases the power of the nobles.
(c) A law that prevents trading with other countries.
(d) A law that weakens the power of the nobles.
4. What was unique about the Tuetones and the Cimbri?
(a) They refused to fight against Marius.
(b) They included women and children.
(c) They did not represent a political state.
(d) They included people from various countries.
5. What does Marius refuse in the office of tribune?
(a) Limited distribution of wheat.
(b) Mass distribution of wheat.
(c) Mass distribution of corn.
(d) Limited distribution of corn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hispania Ulterior when Marius is sent to battle the bandits there?
2. What does Rex Warner, the translator, say about Plutarch's account of Marius's political skill?
3. What traditional belief does Marius go against in his first consul?
4. Where in Italy is the famous statue of Gaius Marius located?
5. Where does Marius participate in a war as legate to Metellus?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)