|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Marius.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hispania Ulterior when Marius is sent to battle the bandits there?
(a) A major ally to Rome.
(b) A civilized province.
(c) An uncivilized province.
(d) A major supplier of food for Rome.
2. What does Warner indicate is exaggerated by Plutarch?
(a) The number of children Marius had.
(b) Marius's war skills.
(c) Marius's education.
(d) The number of battles Marius was involved in.
3. Where does Marius participate in a war as legate to Metellus?
4. How was Marius raised?
(a) With no specific standards.
(b) Against the ancient Roman standards.
(c) To the ancient Roman standards.
(d) To the modern Roman standards.
5. Which part of Marius's life is obscured by Plutarch, according to Warner?
(a) His childhood.
(b) His death.
(c) His wars.
(d) His marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was unique about the Tuetones and the Cimbri?
2. What does Rex Warner, the translator, say about Plutarch's account of Marius's political skill?
3. Where in Italy is the famous statue of Gaius Marius located?
4. Where does Jugurtha eventually die?
5. What serves as the basis for the saying, "one of Marius's mules"?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)