|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Marius.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which part of Marius's life is obscured by Plutarch, according to Warner?
(a) His wars.
(b) His death.
(c) His marriage.
(d) His childhood.
2. Where does Jugurtha eventually die?
(a) In an execution by Marius.
(b) The dungeon.
(c) In exile.
(d) On the battlefield.
3. What is Hispania Ulterior when Marius is sent to battle the bandits there?
(a) A civilized province.
(b) A major supplier of food for Rome.
(c) An uncivilized province.
(d) A major ally to Rome.
4. What serves as the basis for the saying, "one of Marius's mules"?
(a) His army having to carry their own packs for long trips.
(b) Marius himself carrying his own pack for all trips.
(c) His army using twice as many mules to carry their packs.
(d) His army carrying their own packs for brief trips.
5. What does Marius refuse in the office of tribune?
(a) Mass distribution of wheat.
(b) Mass distribution of corn.
(c) Limited distribution of corn.
(d) Limited distribution of wheat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Marius marry?
2. Where does Marius participate in a war as legate to Metellus?
3. What does Warner indicate is exaggerated by Plutarch?
4. What is Marius's statue made out of?
5. What does Rex Warner, the translator, say about Plutarch's account of Marius's political skill?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)