|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Marius.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marius pledge to do while addressing the assembly for his first consul?
(a) Invade Athens.
(b) Sign a treaty with Jugurtha.
(c) Kill or capture Jugurtha.
(d) Invade Asia.
2. What does Warner indicate is exaggerated by Plutarch?
(a) Marius's war skills.
(b) The number of children Marius had.
(c) The number of battles Marius was involved in.
(d) Marius's education.
3. Who is credited with ending the war in Africa?
4. What traditional belief does Marius go against in his first consul?
(a) He does not allow poor men to fight in the military.
(b) He stops all outside trade agreements.
(c) He allows poor men to fight in the military.
(d) He begins multiple outside trade agreements.
5. What does Rex Warner, the translator, say about Plutarch's account of Marius's political skill?
(a) Plutarch writes too little of Marius's political skill.
(b) Plutarch omits Marius's political skill completely.
(c) Plutarch writes too much of Marius's political skill.
(d) Plutarch misrepresents Marius's political skill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of Marius's life is obscured by Plutarch, according to Warner?
2. What language did Marius speak very little of?
3. Where does Jugurtha eventually die?
4. What was the intent of the Tuetones and the Cimbri?
5. What law does Marius put into effect upon being voted to the office of tribune?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)