|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank convince Stephen to do?
2. What does Frank say about Imelda when he meets her?
3. What does Frank's mother say about Holly?
4. What explanation does Frank give Holly for his behavior?
5. Who calls and texts Frank several times during his time with Holly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scorcher say about Kevin's death and how does Frank argue the point and infuriate Scorcher?
2. What does Frank say when he returns to Olivia's house?
3. What does Frank request at his office?
4. What does Frank's mother tell him about Mr. Mackey and Theresa Daly?
5. Why has Jackie again frantically called Frank?
6. Why is Frank's mother upset at Scorcher?
7. What does Frank recall about what Rosie told him the night they decide to leave?
8. What does Kennedy tell Frank that infuriates Frank?
9. How has Nora reacted to the news of Rosie's body being found?
10. What does Nora say about her feelings about Rosie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "Faithful Place"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "Faithful Place" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Faithful Place" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Shay and Frank. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Shay and Da and Frank and Da. How are they similar? How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Faithful Place" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Faithful Place" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "Faithful Place" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
4. Do you think "Faithful Place" ends on a happy note?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)