|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank's mother have spread out on the table?
2. About whom does Olivia ask Frank?
3. What does Frank say about Imelda when he meets her?
4. What does Frank realize they need to do in the current homicide investigation?
5. What does Frank want to prove to Scorcher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Frank and Holly's conversation about Holly visiting Frank's family.
2. What does Frank learn from Imelda about Rosie on the night of Rosie's death?
3. What does Frank ask Stephen that surprises the man?
4. How do people react to Frank at Kevin's wake and what is Jackie's theory about their reactions?
5. How does Frank have to change his perception about Rosie?
6. What does Frank recall about what Rosie told him the night they decide to leave?
7. What happens to Kevin?
8. What do Jackie and Frank talk about when they meet at the park?
9. Why is Frank's mother upset at Scorcher?
10. What does Frank's mother tell him about Mr. Mackey and Theresa Daly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Faithful Place". Questions that French most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the French' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss French's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of French and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 2
Faithful Place belongs to the mystery drama genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the mystery drama genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a detective novel and a mystery drama novel?
Essay Topic 3
Faithful Place: A Novel like most mystery novels involves the act of murder. Discuss the following:
1. What is murder? Is the act of murder always clearly murder?
2. Do you think the death of Rosie is tragic? Why or why not. What about Kevin?
3. Is murder ever justified? Why or why not.
4. Do you think Shay should suffer capital punishment for the murder of Rosie? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)