|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank want to prove to Scorcher?
2. What does Frank say about Imelda when he meets her?
3. What surprises Stephen about something Frank asks him?
4. Why is Frank's mother furious?
5. What does Stephen say about whose fingerprints are on the note in Kevin's pocket.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Faithful Place" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Faithful Place" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for for a literary audience? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Faithful Place" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Holly is nine throughout "Faithful Place". Discuss the following:
1. What are some ways that Holly seems like an average nine year old? Give examples and why you say her activities are average activities for that age group.
2. What are some ways that Holly seems older than her age of 9? Give specific examples and discuss whether they seem consistent with the character of Holly as she is developed throughout the book.
3. Do you think most nine year old girls would have the kind of conversation with Shay that Holly does? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Faithful Place" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 2,359 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)