Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kennedy tell Frank when Kennedy arrives at Imelda's place?
2. What does Stephen say about whose fingerprints are on the note in Kevin's pocket.
3. What do Frank and Holly do at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What do the police immediately decide about Kevin?
5. What question does Frank ask that infuriates Imelda?
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Faithful Place is? Explain your response.
Faithful Place belongs to the mystery drama genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the mystery drama genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a detective novel and a mystery drama novel?
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Faithful Place", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "Faithful Place". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)