|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Frank propose making up for the lost time from the weekend?
2. Who does Frank, at this point, think is Rosie's murderer?
3. Who is at the building where Rosie was found when Frank goes over there?
4. What does Frank say Holly was wrong to do?
5. What does Frank realize they need to do in the current homicide investigation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jackie and Frank talk about when they meet at the park?
2. What does Kennedy tell Frank that infuriates Frank?
3. Why is Frank's mother upset at Scorcher?
4. What does Frank request at his office?
5. What does Frank learn from Imelda about Rosie on the night of Rosie's death?
6. What does Frank say to Holly about Kevin's death?
7. What happens to Kevin?
8. What does Frank recall about what Rosie told him the night they decide to leave?
9. What information does Stephen have for Frank?
10. What does Frank say when he returns to Olivia's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of how Frank wants to keep his distance from his family and yet his daughter Holly loves spending time with Frank's family. Discuss two other ironic situations in "Faithful Place".
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from "Faithful Place". What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in "Faithful Place" and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible techniques: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "Faithful Place"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "Faithful Place" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Faithful Place" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Faithful Place".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Faithful Place. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Faithful Place". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)