|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank's father say when Frank gets to his father's house?
2. What does Frank say about Imelda when he meets her?
3. How does Imelda act towards Frank initially?
4. Why does Holly start crying when Frank goes over to Olivia's house?
5. What does Frank learn about Rosie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frank set things up to be able to follow the police investigation into Rosie and Kevin's deaths?
2. What does Frank say when he returns to Olivia's house?
3. What does Frank learn from the coroner about Rosie's death?
4. What does Frank think Scorcher is trying to do by ruling Kevin's death an accident and how does Mrs. Mackey react?
5. How do people react to Frank at Kevin's wake and what is Jackie's theory about their reactions?
6. What happens to Kevin?
7. What do Jackie and Frank talk about when they meet at the park?
8. Describe Frank and Holly's conversation about Holly visiting Frank's family.
9. What does Frank say to Holly about Kevin's death?
10. What does Scorcher say about Kevin's death and how does Frank argue the point and infuriate Scorcher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Holly is nine throughout "Faithful Place". Discuss the following:
1. What are some ways that Holly seems like an average nine year old? Give examples and why you say her activities are average activities for that age group.
2. What are some ways that Holly seems older than her age of 9? Give specific examples and discuss whether they seem consistent with the character of Holly as she is developed throughout the book.
3. Do you think most nine year old girls would have the kind of conversation with Shay that Holly does? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "Faithful Place"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "Faithful Place" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Faithful Place" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Faithful Place: A Novel like most mystery novels involves the act of murder. Discuss the following:
1. What is murder? Is the act of murder always clearly murder?
2. Do you think the death of Rosie is tragic? Why or why not. What about Kevin?
3. Is murder ever justified? Why or why not.
4. Do you think Shay should suffer capital punishment for the murder of Rosie? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)