|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosie say her father said the night Rosie plans to run off with Frank?
2. What does Frank realize they need to do in the current homicide investigation?
3. How does Imelda act towards Frank initially?
4. What does Olivia suggest Frank do before Holly leaves for school?
5. Who do Frank and Holly meet at the park?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people react to Frank at Kevin's wake and what is Jackie's theory about their reactions?
2. Why is Frank's mother upset at Scorcher?
3. What does Nora say about her feelings about Rosie?
4. What does Scorcher say about Kevin's death and how does Frank argue the point and infuriate Scorcher?
5. What does Frank say when he returns to Olivia's house?
6. What does Frank think Scorcher is trying to do by ruling Kevin's death an accident and how does Mrs. Mackey react?
7. What information does Stephen have for Frank?
8. How does Frank have to change his perception about Rosie?
9. What does Frank learn from the coroner about Rosie's death?
10. What do Jackie and Frank talk about when they meet at the park?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes "Faithful Place" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Frank. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Shay. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Kevin. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of how Frank wants to keep his distance from his family and yet his daughter Holly loves spending time with Frank's family. Discuss two other ironic situations in "Faithful Place".
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from "Faithful Place". What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in "Faithful Place" and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible techniques: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 3
Faithful Place: A Novel like most mystery novels involves the act of murder. Discuss the following:
1. What is murder? Is the act of murder always clearly murder?
2. Do you think the death of Rosie is tragic? Why or why not. What about Kevin?
3. Is murder ever justified? Why or why not.
4. Do you think Shay should suffer capital punishment for the murder of Rosie? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)