|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Frank's father fight at the wake?
2. What is present in the hole where Rosie was buried?
3. What does Frank learn about Rosie?
4. About what does Frank think his mother would have teased Holly?
5. What does Frank tell Holly that is still uncertain?
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Faithful Place" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "Faithful Place" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
4. Do you think "Faithful Place" ends on a happy note?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Faithful Place".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Faithful Place. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Faithful Place". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Faithful Place belongs to the mystery drama genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the mystery drama genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a detective novel and a mystery drama novel?
This section contains 2,254 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)