|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the fight between that the siblings recall?
2. What does Mr. Daly do when he comes to the abandoned house?
3. What had Frank believed when he found a partial note from Rosie many years earlier?
4. What is in the hole in the basement?
5. What is one thing Frank did right after leaving home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Frank do for years after becoming a cop concerning Rosie?
2. What does Frank think about when asked why he became a cop?
3. Why does Frank have to take Holly back to her mom's and what is Olivia's response?
4. What does Carmel ask Frank and what is his answer?
5. What does Frank say about his family in regard to Rosie leaving him?
6. Why was Frank's mother going to come down to the pub?
7. What do the Daly's say when Frank asks if they ever heard from Rosie?
8. What does the Technical Bureau find in the basement at number 16?
9. What is the outcome of the short vignette?
10. What does Shay say about his job and his future plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Faithful Place" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Faithful Place" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for for a literary audience? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Faithful Place" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of how Frank wants to keep his distance from his family and yet his daughter Holly loves spending time with Frank's family. Discuss two other ironic situations in "Faithful Place".
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from "Faithful Place". What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in "Faithful Place" and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible techniques: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)