|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dermot?
2. Who is Olivia?
3. What does Mr. Daly want to do?
4. What is Shay planning to buy?
5. Why does Frank park far away from his family home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Frank convince Kevin to go with him and what do they find?
2. What thoughts go through Frank's mind about Rosie's suitcase?
3. What does Holly say to her father about Dermot?
4. What is the outcome of the short vignette?
5. Why does Frank start searching the neighborhood?
6. What scene is portrayed in the Prologue?
7. Why was Frank's mother going to come down to the pub?
8. What does the reader learn about Frank in the opening to Chapter 1?
9. What does Frank's family speculate about the suitcase, and how does Shay sum up the speculation?
10. What did Frank do for years after becoming a cop concerning Rosie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Faithful Place" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "Faithful Place" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
4. Do you think "Faithful Place" ends on a happy note?
Essay Topic 2
Faithful Place: A Novel like most mystery novels involves the act of murder. Discuss the following:
1. What is murder? Is the act of murder always clearly murder?
2. Do you think the death of Rosie is tragic? Why or why not. What about Kevin?
3. Is murder ever justified? Why or why not.
4. Do you think Shay should suffer capital punishment for the murder of Rosie? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Faithful Place". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of anger in "Faithful Place". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "Faithful Place". Consider the deaths of Rosie and Mike and the death of Holly's innocence.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)