|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Olivia?
2. What is Mandy's status in the present time when Frank goes to visit her?
3. Why is Olivia angry with what Frank tells her on the phone?
4. What does Mandy not believe about Mr. Daly?
5. Where is Rosie's suitcase found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Holly say to her father about Dermot?
2. What does Frank discuss with Kevin and what is Kevin's input?
3. What does the Technical Bureau find in the basement at number 16?
4. What do the Daly's say when Frank asks if they ever heard from Rosie?
5. What scene is portrayed in the Prologue?
6. What does Carmel ask Frank and what is his answer?
7. Who has left a frantic message on Frank's phone and what is the message?
8. What does the reader learn about Frank in the opening to Chapter 1?
9. What does Frank ask about the suitcase when he walks in his house and what does the family say?
10. Why was Frank's mother going to come down to the pub?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Holly is nine throughout "Faithful Place". Discuss the following:
1. What are some ways that Holly seems like an average nine year old? Give examples and why you say her activities are average activities for that age group.
2. What are some ways that Holly seems older than her age of 9? Give specific examples and discuss whether they seem consistent with the character of Holly as she is developed throughout the book.
3. Do you think most nine year old girls would have the kind of conversation with Shay that Holly does? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Faithful Place". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of anger in "Faithful Place". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "Faithful Place". Consider the deaths of Rosie and Mike and the death of Holly's innocence.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)