Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank think Rosie may have refused to meet up with him many years ago?
2. Why doesn't anyone in the police department on the scene at the abandoned house acknowledge Frank?
3. Where is Rosie's suitcase found?
4. What is one thing found inside the suitcase?
5. What is in the hole in the basement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Frank convince Kevin to go with him and what do they find?
2. Who joins Frank at the pub after Scorcher leaves?
3. What do Jackie and Frank talk about when they meet at the park?
4. What does Frank ask Stephen that surprises the man?
5. What do the Daly's say when Frank asks if they ever heard from Rosie?
6. What does Shay say about his talk with Rosie and subsequent action?
7. What secret does Shay ask Holly to promise to keep?
8. What does Frank say when he returns to Olivia's house?
9. How has Nora reacted to the news of Rosie's body being found?
10. What does Shay say about Kevin and his death?
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of how Frank wants to keep his distance from his family and yet his daughter Holly loves spending time with Frank's family. Discuss two other ironic situations in "Faithful Place".
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from "Faithful Place". What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in "Faithful Place" and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible techniques: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "Faithful Place"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "Faithful Place" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Faithful Place" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)