|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police urge Mr. Daly to do?
2. About what does Frank talk with his siblings during the evening after Rosie's body is found?
3. What did Carmel once do in the past when Jackie and Kevin were ill?
4. Who is Rosie Daley?
5. What does the neighborhood try to do in the abandoned house soon after Frank left?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Frank convince Kevin to go with him and what do they find?
2. Who has left a frantic message on Frank's phone and what is the message?
3. Who joins Frank at the pub after Scorcher leaves?
4. Why was Frank's mother going to come down to the pub?
5. What does Frank's family speculate about the suitcase, and how does Shay sum up the speculation?
6. What does Carmel ask Frank and what is his answer?
7. Why does Frank start searching the neighborhood?
8. What does Frank think about when asked why he became a cop?
9. What thoughts go through Frank's mind about Rosie's suitcase?
10. Why does Frank have to take Holly back to her mom's and what is Olivia's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Tana French.
2. What in French's background may have helped her in writing "Faithful Place"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Faithful Place". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think French chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think French chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss French's use (or lack ) of literary device ( such as allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns) and how they add or detract from the story. Does French use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Faithful Place: A Novel like most mystery novels involves the act of murder. Discuss the following:
1. What is murder? Is the act of murder always clearly murder?
2. Do you think the death of Rosie is tragic? Why or why not. What about Kevin?
3. Is murder ever justified? Why or why not.
4. Do you think Shay should suffer capital punishment for the murder of Rosie? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)