Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank think Rosie may have refused to meet up with him many years ago?
2. Why doesn't anyone in the police department on the scene at the abandoned house acknowledge Frank?
3. Where is Rosie's suitcase found?
4. What is one thing found inside the suitcase?
5. What is in the hole in the basement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Frank convince Kevin to go with him and what do they find?
2. Who joins Frank at the pub after Scorcher leaves?
3. What do Jackie and Frank talk about when they meet at the park?
4. What does Frank ask Stephen that surprises the man?
5. What do the Daly's say when Frank asks if they ever heard from Rosie?
6. What does Shay say about his talk with Rosie and subsequent action?
7. What secret does Shay ask Holly to promise to keep?
8. What does Frank say when he returns to Olivia's house?
9. How has Nora reacted to the news of Rosie's body being found?
10. What does Shay say about Kevin and his death?
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Faithful Place" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Faithful Place". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think French chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think French chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss French's use (or lack ) of literary device ( such as allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns) and how they add or detract from the story. Does French use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Faithful Place belongs to the mystery drama genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the mystery drama genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a detective novel and a mystery drama novel?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)