|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank think Rosie may have refused to meet up with him many years ago?
2. Why doesn't anyone in the police department on the scene at the abandoned house acknowledge Frank?
3. Where is Rosie's suitcase found?
4. What is one thing found inside the suitcase?
5. What is in the hole in the basement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Frank convince Kevin to go with him and what do they find?
2. Who joins Frank at the pub after Scorcher leaves?
3. What do Jackie and Frank talk about when they meet at the park?
4. What does Frank ask Stephen that surprises the man?
5. What do the Daly's say when Frank asks if they ever heard from Rosie?
6. What does Shay say about his talk with Rosie and subsequent action?
7. What secret does Shay ask Holly to promise to keep?
8. What does Frank say when he returns to Olivia's house?
9. How has Nora reacted to the news of Rosie's body being found?
10. What does Shay say about Kevin and his death?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Faithful Place belongs to the mystery drama genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the mystery drama genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a detective novel and a mystery drama novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Faithful Place", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "Faithful Place". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,937 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)