|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the neighborhood try to do in the abandoned house soon after Frank left?
2. What is Frank Mackey doing in the Prologue?
3. For what is Frank thankful concerning his siblings?
4. Why doesn't Frank let Holly spend time with his family?
5. What does Kevin say about Shay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Holly say to her father about Dermot?
2. What does Carmel ask Frank and what is his answer?
3. What does the reader learn about Frank in the opening to Chapter 1?
4. What did Frank do for years after becoming a cop concerning Rosie?
5. Where does Frank convince Kevin to go with him and what do they find?
6. What do Frank and Scorcher talk about when they go to a local pub?
7. What does Shay say about his job and his future plans?
8. Why was Frank's mother going to come down to the pub?
9. Who has left a frantic message on Frank's phone and what is the message?
10. What does Frank think about when asked why he became a cop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Faithful Place" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Faithful Place" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for for a literary audience? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Faithful Place" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Faithful Place". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think French chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think French chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss French's use (or lack ) of literary device ( such as allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns) and how they add or detract from the story. Does French use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Faithful Place belongs to the mystery drama genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the mystery drama genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a detective novel and a mystery drama novel?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)