|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dermot?
2. Where is Rosie's suitcase found?
3. Why does Shay think his purchasing plan is sound?
4. Where do Mick and Frank talk?
5. What had Frank believed when he found a partial note from Rosie many years earlier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Frank and Jackie discuss concerning the Mackey family?
2. What do Jackie and Frank talk about when they meet at the park?
3. What did Frank do for years after becoming a cop concerning Rosie?
4. Who joins Frank at the pub after Scorcher leaves?
5. What does Frank say when he returns to Olivia's house?
6. Why is Frank's mother upset at Scorcher?
7. What does Frank discuss with Kevin and what is Kevin's input?
8. What does Frank think about when asked why he became a cop?
9. What is the outcome of the short vignette?
10. What does Holly say to her father about Dermot?
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Faithful Place". Questions that French most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the French' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss French's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of French and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Faithful Place".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Faithful Place. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Faithful Place". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Faithful Place", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "Faithful Place". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,890 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)