|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Mick and Frank talk?
2. What does Mandy not believe about Mr. Daly?
3. What does Kevin say about Shay?
4. What is Mick Kennedy's nickname?
5. What do Frank and Kevin talk about that brings up the mention of a dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frank start searching the neighborhood?
2. What does Carmel ask Frank and what is his answer?
3. Why was Frank's mother going to come down to the pub?
4. What is the outcome of the short vignette?
5. What does the Technical Bureau find in the basement at number 16?
6. What does Frank discuss with Kevin and what is Kevin's input?
7. Who does Frank visit and what does he learn?
8. What do the Daly's say when Frank asks if they ever heard from Rosie?
9. What does Frank think about when asked why he became a cop?
10. Where does Frank convince Kevin to go with him and what do they find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Faithful Place" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Faithful Place" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for for a literary audience? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Faithful Place" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Faithful Place belongs to the mystery drama genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the mystery drama genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a detective novel and a mystery drama novel?
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Faithful Place" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)