Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank think Rosie may have refused to meet up with him many years ago?
2. Why doesn't anyone in the police department on the scene at the abandoned house acknowledge Frank?
3. Where is Rosie's suitcase found?
4. What is one thing found inside the suitcase?
5. What is in the hole in the basement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Frank convince Kevin to go with him and what do they find?
2. Who joins Frank at the pub after Scorcher leaves?
3. What do Jackie and Frank talk about when they meet at the park?
4. What does Frank ask Stephen that surprises the man?
5. What do the Daly's say when Frank asks if they ever heard from Rosie?
6. What does Shay say about his talk with Rosie and subsequent action?
7. What secret does Shay ask Holly to promise to keep?
8. What does Frank say when he returns to Olivia's house?
9. How has Nora reacted to the news of Rosie's body being found?
10. What does Shay say about Kevin and his death?
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Faithful Place" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Faithful Place: A Novel like most mystery novels involves the act of murder. Discuss the following:
1. What is murder? Is the act of murder always clearly murder?
2. Do you think the death of Rosie is tragic? Why or why not. What about Kevin?
3. Is murder ever justified? Why or why not.
4. Do you think Shay should suffer capital punishment for the murder of Rosie? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,937 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)