|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one theory Frank has about Rosie?
2. What does Mr. Daly do when he comes to the abandoned house?
3. What does Frank find in the basement of the abandoned house?
4. Who shows up in the pub a couple hours after Mick leaves Frank there?
5. What does Jackie believe about Rosie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank discuss with Kevin and what is Kevin's input?
2. Why does Frank have to take Holly back to her mom's and what is Olivia's response?
3. Who joins Frank at the pub after Scorcher leaves?
4. Who has left a frantic message on Frank's phone and what is the message?
5. What does Frank's family speculate about the suitcase, and how does Shay sum up the speculation?
6. Why was Frank's mother going to come down to the pub?
7. Why does Frank start searching the neighborhood?
8. Where does Frank convince Kevin to go with him and what do they find?
9. What does Frank think about when asked why he became a cop?
10. What does Frank ask about the suitcase when he walks in his house and what does the family say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Shay and Frank. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Shay and Da and Frank and Da. How are they similar? How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Faithful Place" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Faithful Place", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "Faithful Place". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Faithful Place: A Novel like most mystery novels involves the act of murder. Discuss the following:
1. What is murder? Is the act of murder always clearly murder?
2. Do you think the death of Rosie is tragic? Why or why not. What about Kevin?
3. Is murder ever justified? Why or why not.
4. Do you think Shay should suffer capital punishment for the murder of Rosie? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)