|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackie believe about Rosie?
2. Who is Rosie Daley?
3. What does Frank find in the basement of the abandoned house?
4. Who is Olivia?
5. Why does Shay think his purchasing plan is sound?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thoughts go through Frank's mind about Rosie's suitcase?
2. Who has left a frantic message on Frank's phone and what is the message?
3. What did Frank do for years after becoming a cop concerning Rosie?
4. Why was Frank's mother going to come down to the pub?
5. What does Frank discuss with Kevin and what is Kevin's input?
6. Why does Frank start searching the neighborhood?
7. Who joins Frank at the pub after Scorcher leaves?
8. What do the Daly's say when Frank asks if they ever heard from Rosie?
9. What is the outcome of the short vignette?
10. What does Shay say about his job and his future plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Faithful Place".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Faithful Place. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Faithful Place". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Faithful Place". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think French chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think French chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss French's use (or lack ) of literary device ( such as allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns) and how they add or detract from the story. Does French use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Faithful Place". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of anger in "Faithful Place". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "Faithful Place". Consider the deaths of Rosie and Mike and the death of Holly's innocence.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)