|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Stephen Moran?
(a) An officer assigned to fill in for Frank.
(b) A man who witnessed Shay's fall out of the window.
(c) An officer assigned to Scorcher.
(d) An officer assigned to trail Frank since he is a murder suspect.
2. What does Frank learn about Rosie's assailant?
(a) The assailant probably tried to strangle her and when unsuccessful, he stabbed her.
(b) The assailant probably had his hands around Rosie's neck.
(c) The assailant probably killed her from behind.
(d) The assailant probably is almost a foot taller than Rosie.
3. What does the caller tell Frank?
(a) Shay is dead.
(b) Kevin is dead.
(c) Mr. Daly tried to kill Shay.
(d) Mr. Daly tried to kill Kevin.
4. What does Frank do when Scorcher is leaning out of the window?
(a) Tells him to notice the scratch marks on the sill.
(b) Pulls him back into the house.
(c) Pushes him.
5. What does Frank ask Imelda about Rosie?
(a) If Rosie had any other boyfriends other than Frank.
(b) If Imelda helped Rosie prepare to run away.
(c) If Rosie seemed scared about running away.
(d) If Imelda accompanied Rosie the night Rosie died.
6. Why did Mr. Daly think Rosie would be happy with what he told her?
(a) He thought she'd be happy he could finally retire.
(b) He thought she'd be glad that Frank was willing to wait until he could support her.
(c) He thought she'd be happy to have a job.
(d) Mr. Daly did not think Rosie would be happy.
7. Why doesn't Nora's husband understand why Nora cannot stop crying?
(a) Because Nora had accepted Rosie's disappearance years ago.
(b) Because Rosie has been gone so long he does not understand why Nora would still be emotional about it.
(c) Because he has never seen Nora crying.
(d) Because Nora didn't even cry when their child was killed.
8. What does Frank try to deal with as he naps in his car?
(a) His brother Kevin's drug addiction.
(b) His change of perception regarding Rosie.
(c) His father's increasing irrational behavior.
(d) The possibility of someone he knows having killed Rosie.
9. What explanation does Frank give Holly for his behavior?
(a) His brother was arrested and he had to intervene.
(b) His father was ill.
(c) A childhood friend was dead.
(d) His cousin needed him.
10. What does Rosie say her father said the night Rosie plans to run off with Frank?
(a) That Frank had given his word that he would not take Rosie away.
(b) That someone was retiring from the Guinness plant.
(c) That Mr. Daly was retiring from the cement plant.
(d) That Frank would never be able to support a family.
11. What does Frank say Holly was wrong to do?
(a) Wearing clothes that were too shabby.
(b) Hitting another girl at school.
(c) Telling her mother she will not do her homework.
(d) Keep the secret about visiting Frank's family.
12. Who does Frank, at this point, think is Rosie's murderer?
(b) Mr. Daly.
(c) A janitor in the building next to number 22.
(d) Frank's father.
13. What does Frank say about Imelda when he meets her?
(a) She has softened considerably.
(b) She does not look any older than when they were in high school.
(c) She is still as obnoxious as ever.
(d) She has not aged well.
14. Why does Rosie want to leave so suddenly?
(a) She knows Frank is running out of patience waiting for her to make up her mind.
(b) She is being abused by her father.
(c) She knows she would take the job if it were offered.
(d) She is pregnant.
15. About what does Frank think his mother would have teased Holly?
(a) Holly's hair color.
(b) Holly's accent and clothing.
(c) Holly's teeth.
(d) Holly's being a picky eater.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frank's mother furious?
2. What does Frank tell Holly that is still uncertain?
3. Where is the other half of Rosie's note found?
4. What does Frank request at work?
5. About what does Holly ask Frank?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)