|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were John's parents informed regarding his situation?
2. What Operation did John participate in?
3. How many Americans were prisoners with John?
4. What protocol did the American Prisoners of War follow?
5. In late August, months after offering John an early release, what did the Vietnamese do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when John was flying in Corpus Christi Bay? How was he feeling after the event?
2. What did the Air Force major talk to the trainees about, and how did John feel about him?
3. What happened when the Vietnamese asked John if he wanted to go home early?
4. How did Jack show what he felt for his son while his son was a prisoner of war?
5. What was life in his imprisonment like after John refused to go home early?
6. In October of 1962, John's squadron was ordered to fly their planes back to the carrier earlier than they had expected. They discovered that they might see some action. What happened with this, and how did John feel about it?
7. What were the interrogation sessions like? How did John feel about his time in the interrogation room?
8. What did John and his friends do for entertainment in Meridian, Mississippi? How did people react to what they had done?
9. Why was John's transfer to Camp Unity such a great experience?
10. What happened when the three men were released in August of 1969?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the feelings John had about finally going home. How did he feel toward his father? What was his physical condition? How were the soldiers treated when they landed?
Essay Topic 2
John had one teacher who continued to knock him down and two teachers that really inspired him. Describe the experiences with Captain Ben Hart, Lieutenant Commander Eugene Carroll and William P. Ravenel, showing how they influenced John's' life.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what happened with the peace talks and the bombing raids. What did this mean to the prisoners? What did their captors try to tell them it meant? What was their reaction to their captors?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)