|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was John supposed to do in Hanoi on his mission?
2. What Army exercises in training did John excel in?
3. How did the pilots feel about the orders they were given?
4. What did Jake and Slew find difficult when they talked about war experiences to elementary students?
5. What happened to the USS Forrestal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when John was flying in Corpus Christi Bay? How was he feeling after the event?
2. What happened when John realized he didn't have a wash rag after his punishment?
3. How was John's wife in danger back in the United States, and how did she take care of herself?
4. What were some of the difficulties John had to face as a prisoner of war?
5. What did early releases tells Jack about his son, John?
6. What did John and his friends do for entertainment in Meridian, Mississippi? How did people react to what they had done?
7. What happened on Christmas Eve in 1968?
8. What did John do while he was in Army training?
9. What injuries did John receive from the inferno on the USS Forestall? How were his injuries compared to the others?
10. In October of 1962, John's squadron was ordered to fly their planes back to the carrier earlier than they had expected. They discovered that they might see some action. What happened with this, and how did John feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Roberta McCain's talents helped Jack in his rise to success. What talents did he bring to the table? What made him so great?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the conditions John lived in at The Plantation. What was his daily schedule like? What was isolation like? How did he keep sane?
Essay Topic 3
John had one teacher who continued to knock him down and two teachers that really inspired him. Describe the experiences with Captain Ben Hart, Lieutenant Commander Eugene Carroll and William P. Ravenel, showing how they influenced John's' life.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)