|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were John's parents informed regarding his situation?
2. What happened to the USS Forrestal?
3. What was the result of having a famous father for John?
4. What did Jack do to ensure his son's release?
5. How many children did Carol and John have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was John's punishment in Calcutta?
2. What did John do while he was in Army training?
3. What were communications like between John and his family?
4. How did John's father and grandfather talk about their war experiences after they were home?
5. Why didn't John turn around when he was warned that the enemy was flying toward him?
6. What happened on Christmas Eve in 1968?
7. What did early releases tells Jack about his son, John?
8. What were the fighters on the USS Oriskany known for? Why was John on the ship?
9. What injuries did John receive from the inferno on the USS Forestall? How were his injuries compared to the others?
10. What was John' s behavior like when he was a naval officer at the Academy? How did he act in relation to his work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John had one teacher who continued to knock him down and two teachers that really inspired him. Describe the experiences with Captain Ben Hart, Lieutenant Commander Eugene Carroll and William P. Ravenel, showing how they influenced John's' life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the soldiers celebrated the Christmas season when John was in charge of the entertainment. How is this different from past Christmases?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the conditions John lived in at The Plantation. What was his daily schedule like? What was isolation like? How did he keep sane?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)