|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John do when he joined the other soldiers after solitary?
2. What did the Americans who were released in August tell the world?
3. What happened when the enemy came near John?
4. What was John supposed to do in Hanoi on his mission?
5. What protocol did the American Prisoners of War follow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did John's father and grandfather talk about their war experiences after they were home?
2. What did John do while he was in Army training?
3. How was John's wife in danger back in the United States, and how did she take care of herself?
4. What were the fighters on the USS Oriskany known for? Why was John on the ship?
5. In October of 1962, John's squadron was ordered to fly their planes back to the carrier earlier than they had expected. They discovered that they might see some action. What happened with this, and how did John feel about it?
6. How did Jack show what he felt for his son while his son was a prisoner of war?
7. What was John' s behavior like when he was a naval officer at the Academy? How did he act in relation to his work?
8. What was life in his imprisonment like after John refused to go home early?
9. What did the Air Force major talk to the trainees about, and how did John feel about him?
10. What were the interrogation sessions like? How did John feel about his time in the interrogation room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the soldiers celebrated the Christmas season when John was in charge of the entertainment. How is this different from past Christmases?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the family history of the McCain men in relationship to war. Explain how this affected John McCain's upbringing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Roberta McCain's talents helped Jack in his rise to success. What talents did he bring to the table? What made him so great?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)