|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the pilots feel about the orders they were given?
2. How did many of the prisoners communicate with their families?
3. What happened to the packages John's wife sent?
4. What did the Vietnamese plan to do with John's release?
5. What did the Vietnamese do when he landed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the Vietnamese asked John if he wanted to go home early?
2. Why didn't John turn around when he was warned that the enemy was flying toward him?
3. What happened when John was flying in Corpus Christi Bay? How was he feeling after the event?
4. What were communications like between John and his family?
5. How was John's wife in danger back in the United States, and how did she take care of herself?
6. What happened on Christmas Eve in 1968?
7. What injuries did John receive from the inferno on the USS Forestall? How were his injuries compared to the others?
8. What was life in his imprisonment like after John refused to go home early?
9. What happened when John realized he didn't have a wash rag after his punishment?
10. In October of 1962, John's squadron was ordered to fly their planes back to the carrier earlier than they had expected. They discovered that they might see some action. What happened with this, and how did John feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the feelings John had about finally going home. How did he feel toward his father? What was his physical condition? How were the soldiers treated when they landed?
Essay Topic 2
How did Jack feel about his son and his son's captivity? How did the situation affect his role as a commander?
Essay Topic 3
What did John do that made him a difficult prisoner for the Vietnamese?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)